Old 19th September 2012
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Vienna Dimension Strings...

www.strandedonaplanet.com
www.facebook.com/strandedonaplanet
www.twitter.com/strandedplanet
http://www.soundcloud.com/strandedonaplanet
Watch our studio bio video here and get to know us a bit - http://youtu.be/3hb_Zi_zry4
See our new video for "The Top Shelf" for GC Pro here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lyylfNLrUJ0
20th September 2012
Old 20th September 2012
Lives for gear

Did you hear the demo? It's impressive. Sounds much improved IMO over their former libraries.

-SD

...My 57 is only a few years old, but I'd like to think that someday my children can pass it down to their children.
Killahurts

...I would much rather tweak a moog than that thing bro...
MYAMS
feck
20th September 2012
Old 20th September 2012
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

I did...grabbed it and downloading now. Will report back once I have some time with it. VSL have never disappointed in the past, this looks like a new level for them.

Sent from my HTC VLE_U
20th September 2012
Old 20th September 2012
Lives for gear

Early Bird Offer! Purchase the Vienna Dimension Strings Full Library now and you’ll receive the Viola, Cello and Double Bass Sections as they become available in 2013, free of charge.

This is a good thing. I already put out for the Super Pack. Will grab this on the weekend.
20th September 2012
Old 20th September 2012
Gear maniac

Very interested to hear your reports gentlemen....I hear things in these demos that make me want to pull the trigger

www.cherryridgestudio.com
www.steelguitartracksonline.com
20th September 2012
Old 20th September 2012
Lives for gear

Audio demo sounds great, but I would like to hear more demos before I buy a library at this price point. Having one audio demo doesn't help.

Hopefully, VSL will post more audio demos soon !
20th September 2012
Old 20th September 2012
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to Animus
Sounds great to me. And VSL probably have the best most innovative sample player on the market too.
feck
20th September 2012
Old 20th September 2012
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by work2do View Post
Early Bird Offer! Purchase the Vienna Dimension Strings Full Library now and you’ll receive the Viola, Cello and Double Bass Sections as they become available in 2013, free of charge.

This is a good thing. I already put out for the Super Pack. Will grab this on the weekend.
Yeah, the price is pretty amazing. A million samples....wouldn't wanna be in charge of editing all those!
21st September 2012
Old 21st September 2012
Lives for gear

I don't get it. So you only have a total of 8 violins? can this be increased?

Stef.
23rd September 2012
Old 23rd September 2012
Lives for gear

Vienna, who already sets the bar for the sampled orchestra, somehow continues to raise that bar with most new products and based upon the audio and video demos this one's no exception. It seems intensely good. Programming it would take time and dedication, but it's capable if you are.

At this rate, it's Vienna that will one day make the recorded orchestra obsolete. They keep separating themselves from the 2nd best (whoever that is).
feck
23rd September 2012
Old 23rd September 2012
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

I haven't had a lot of time with them, but what I have heard so far is beautiful. As usual, the samples are pristine and the players excellent. Looking forward to digging deeper and really learning the engine properly so as to take full advantage of what is there.
23rd September 2012
Old 23rd September 2012
Lives for gear

[QUOTE=elambo;8286759]
At this rate, it's Vienna that will one day make the recorded orchestra obsolete. They keep separating themselves from the 2nd best (whoever that is).[/QUOTE

They certainly have the most articulations and attention to detail if you happen to like their sound and find it convincing.

TH
23rd September 2012
Old 23rd September 2012
Lives for gear

They use relatively neutral-sounding equipment and record without much room noise or ambience so you can make of it what you choose in the mix. I happen to like the general character of VSL instruments and find them versatile and easy to mix with. The chore of being convincing falls on the composer, arranger and programmer.
23rd September 2012
Old 23rd September 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by feck View Post
I haven't had a lot of time with them, but what I have heard so far is beautiful. As usual, the samples are pristine and the players excellent. Looking forward to digging deeper and really learning the engine properly so as to take full advantage of what is there.
So did you buy this library or are you working with a demo?
feck
23rd September 2012
Old 23rd September 2012
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by elambo View Post
So did you buy this library or are you working with a demo?
I bought it.
23rd September 2012
Old 23rd September 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
They use relatively neutral-sounding equipment and record without much room noise or ambience so you can make of it what you choose in the mix. I happen to like the general character of VSL instruments and find them versatile and easy to mix with. The chore of being convincing falls on the composer, arranger and programmer.
Yes and I don't mind the neutral approach, as it's easy to modify that as one wishes as you say. I just have never found their strings basic sound to be convincing in many registers, and no amount of "composer/programmer" skill can change that. At times, I come away thinking how amazing they sound, and other times, in other registers, playing certain types of parts, they come up frighteningly short. A veritable mixed and very expensive bag for me.

Their "Norman" demo of these new strings is a perfect example of bits here and there sounding quite nice, while others scream "sampled." Written as nice imitation of Herrmann's well known "Psycho" cue, one has only to listen to the original to see how far we have to go.

Bernard Herrmann - Flight, The Patrol Car, The Car Lot, The Package, The Rainstorm (Psycho, 1960) - YouTube (about two minutes in)

Still this is a nice addition to their other libraries, all of which I own. May end up on the Christmas wish list.

TH
23rd September 2012
Old 23rd September 2012
Lives for gear

I agree that select samples from their past libraries, when played in certain registers, don't cut the mustard. This library seems different to me. Christian's demo, and the video, showed major improvements to those VSL violins that I'm used to.
23rd September 2012
Old 23rd September 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
I bought it.
What's the price in US dollars for the full enchilada?
23rd September 2012
Old 23rd September 2012
Lives for gear

23rd September 2012
Old 23rd September 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by work2do View Post

Actually the deal is that you buy the whole library for a discounted price but only get the violins now and have to wait until the others are released.
23rd September 2012
Old 23rd September 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Do you have any other VSL strings? DS seems really versatile, and that the intent is to use it along with their other libraries if you're looking for a 'bigger' sound. I have App Strings 1 and a bunch of SE strings and I'm seriously thinking about picking these up.
feck
23rd September 2012
Old 23rd September 2012
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

I just have Special Edition - I have been using Cinematic Samples 2.0, Albion and 8Dio Adagio a lot recently but wanted more solo instruments and flexibility. VSL definitely have a lot of complexity and depth, and honestly I haven't felt like investing the time to really learn the ins and outs, but these strings are a good set to really roll up the sleeves and get into the weeds with.
23rd September 2012
Old 23rd September 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino321 View Post
Actually the deal is that you buy the whole library for a discounted price but only get the violins now and have to wait until the others are released.
Which is just another way of saying that you get the violins in advance of the entire set which is still in development. Or you can wait until the whole shebang is ready, ignore the individual instruments as they become available, and pay full price if that's somehow better. It's just a matter of how you look at it. Less subjective is that $825 for this library is a nice deal IF it's as good as I think it'll be.
23rd September 2012
Old 23rd September 2012
Lives for gear

^^ and with that post I just convinced myself to buy it (from Ilio).
23rd September 2012
Old 23rd September 2012
Lives for gear

Damn you Ilio! They'll only approve a sale and offer a download link during business hours so I'm still waiting to download this library.
23rd September 2012
Old 23rd September 2012
Lives for gear

What about Best Service? I believe you can purchase DS from them as well. REALLY wanting to hear some more in depth user reviews and/or demos.
23rd September 2012
Old 23rd September 2012
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

I have about another week of slammed work until I will have some time to really dive in, once I do I will post some demos.
24th September 2012
Old 24th September 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benmrx View Post
What about Best Service? I believe you can purchase DS from them as well. REALLY wanting to hear some more in depth user reviews and/or demos.
Hmmm, maybe, but I've already thrown down the cash. No worries, Ilio has been good to me when I've needed them so I'll just be patient.

I won't be able to put them into full gear for a bit but I'll certainly go for a quick test drive and post my impressions. I've found that things like this rarely need lengthy, in-depth analysis before understanding how to rate them. If they sound excellent, they're excellent. If they sound like my current VSL libraries they're still great. I already know the software and programming so that won't be a surprise.

From what I gather Vienna has only made welcomed improvements with this collection, but it's actually the cello library I'm most curious about, which is the weak suit in my current deck.
24th September 2012
Old 24th September 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
I won't be able to put them into full gear for a bit but I'll certainly go for a quick test drive and post my impressions. I've found that things like this rarely need lengthy, in-depth analysis before understanding how to rate them. If they sound excellent, they're excellent.
Looking forward to your thoughts on them.
24th September 2012
Old 24th September 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by clonewar View Post
Ilio has it for $825 on the early bird offer, and you'll get the entire collection as it's released.

Vienna Instruments Collections : Strings : Vienna Dimension Strings
That's a decent price for the package.

I cannot put my finger on it, but there are still elements missing from the sound of the individual instruments that make them sound a touch unrealisitic...

I think we have some way to go to get to a point where those nuances are included in a top end string library.

How can I put it - To my ears the best efforts at capturing the idiosyncracies of a solo instrument have been those of the company Sample Modeling. They have a library called the Trumpet which is particularly realistic.

I love what VSL are doing but I still think there is a way to go to get those individual instruments (string in particular) to resonate and really excite me.

Still £500 is a really fair price.

~ peace ~
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search