Login / Register

Allen & Heath ICE-16 - 16 ch Multitrack Recorder + USB/Firewire Interface Announced
New Reply
Subscribe
Grahamdwc
10th September 2012
Old 10th September 2012
Super Moderator

Hardware Allen & Heath ICE-16 - 16 ch Multitrack Recorder + USB/Firewire Interface Announced

Fitted into a compact 1U rack design, ICE-16 is capable of studio quality interfacing, converting and bi-directional streaming of 16 channels over high-speed USB or FireWire at 24 bit, 96kHz resolution. Alternatively, 16 channels can be simultaneously recorded straight to a USB hard drive or memory stick at up to 24bit 48kHz resolution .wav file. The ICE-16 is expandable, so you can link units together and synchronize recording of many channels.

ICE-16 connects to any audio mixer or analogue source using ¼” jacks for the inputs and RCA phono connectors for the outputs. Signal and peak metering is provided for each channel and can be switched to show input or output. Headphone monitoring is also included and switches on each channel enable checking of individual or multiple channels. ASIO drivers and Core Audio compliance ensure full compatibility with all the main DAWs, including Logic, Sonar, Cubase and Pro Tools.

ICE-16 makes multitrack recording easy. Forget all that fiddling around at the back of clunky HD recorders or messing about with soundcard drivers. ICE-16 lets you capture a high quality 16 track recording straight to a USB key or hard drive.
ICE-16 is also a powerful 16x16 audio interface capable of studio quality recording over high-speed USB or FireWire. Whether it’s a live band, a studio session, a conference, a function or a theatre rehearsal, ICE-16 is the ideal choice for recording multichannel audio with or without your computer.

• 16 analogue Inputs, 16 analogue Outputs
  • Front USB socket for easy capture to USB storage devices
  • Hybrid FireWire (IEE1394) / USB2 .0 16x16 audio interface
  • Industry standard wav file format
  • Up to 6 hours of 16 channel audio on a 32GB USB stick
  • Signal Present and Peak LED metering on each channel
  • Mono headphone bus for Input or Output monitoring
  • Daisy chain multiple units over FireWire
  • Familiar Transport buttons and intuitive controls

Link : ICE-16 | ALLEN & HEATH // WORLD CLASS MIXING
Attached Thumbnails
Allen & Heath ICE-16 - 16 ch Multitrack Recorder + USB/Firewire Interface Announced-ice-16_front_040912_1000.jpg  
10th September 2012
Old 10th September 2012
Lives for gear

Recommended price?
Grahamdwc
10th September 2012
Old 10th September 2012
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by depulse View Post
Recommended price?
SRP is £654 ex VAT.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus
10th September 2012
Old 10th September 2012
Gear maniac

Why did they choose for the RCA connectors as outputs I wonder...
10th September 2012
Old 10th September 2012
Gear interested

Unbalanced RCA outputs! And what about the inputs? I didn't find that information in the brochure.

Looks like a prosumer version of JoeCo Blackbox.
10th September 2012
Old 10th September 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grahamdwc View Post

Fitted into a compact 1U rack design, ICE-16 is capable of studio quality interfacing, converting and bi-directional streaming of 16 channels over high-speed USB or FireWire at 24 bit, 96kHz resolution. Alternatively, 16 channels can be simultaneously recorded straight to a USB hard drive or memory stick at up to 24bit 48kHz resolution .wav file. The ICE-16 is expandable, so you can link units together and synchronize recording of many channels.

ICE-16 connects to any audio mixer or analogue source using ¼” jacks for the inputs and RCA phono connectors for the outputs. Signal and peak metering is provided for each channel and can be switched to show input or output. Headphone monitoring is also included and switches on each channel enable checking of individual or multiple channels. ASIO drivers and Core Audio compliance ensure full compatibility with all the main DAWs, including Logic, Sonar, Cubase and Pro Tools.

ICE-16 makes multitrack recording easy. Forget all that fiddling around at the back of clunky HD recorders or messing about with soundcard drivers. ICE-16 lets you capture a high quality 16 track recording straight to a USB key or hard drive.
ICE-16 is also a powerful 16x16 audio interface capable of studio quality recording over high-speed USB or FireWire. Whether it’s a live band, a studio session, a conference, a function or a theatre rehearsal, ICE-16 is the ideal choice for recording multichannel audio with or without your computer.

• 16 analogue Inputs, 16 analogue Outputs
  • Front USB socket for easy capture to USB storage devices
  • Hybrid FireWire (IEE1394) / USB2 .0 16x16 audio interface
  • Industry standard wav file format
  • Up to 6 hours of 16 channel audio on a 32GB USB stick
  • Signal Present and Peak LED metering on each channel
  • Mono headphone bus for Input or Output monitoring
  • Daisy chain multiple units over FireWire
  • Familiar Transport buttons and intuitive controls

Link : ICE-16 | ALLEN & HEATH // WORLD CLASS MIXING
Nice idea...finally a hd recorder!!
..but I have 2 questions:

1. Couldn't A&H put a better metering on the front? (HD24 is king regarding the metering).. I know that there's not too much space but even a 4 led meter would have been better..(like the ones used in the GL2400 series on the input channel)

2. Why the outputs are on rca?? (i really don't get it)

otherwise looks like it's packed with nice features..

are there any converters specs? chips used,etc?

Thanks!

Cheu

www.masterdaelion.com
A new, breaktrough way of reading your music scores.

"If you want to be given everything, give everything up"

www.qtrio.ch

www.studio21.ch

Quote:
We're only as good as the musicians we keep; the same goes for the musicians. - Remoteness
10th September 2012
Old 10th September 2012
70% Coffee, 30% Beer

Send a message via Skype™ to Doc Mixwell
I don't like the RCA outs either, they might be trying to save money here, and I think a pro device should have balanced connections.

But I am still interested in this product, because I really don't care about its analog outputs, very much. Im not gonna mix with it....

It does suck, to have to get more stupid cabling made.

I care more about the headphone amp, and the analog inputs. Wish it had a simple stereo monitor mix. But mono should suffice for what I want, I guess. Meters are really important too, for sure.

adam@dspdoctor.com

My Personal Web Page
10th September 2012
Old 10th September 2012
Gear maniac

A&H Reply:

Hi Guys,

Here is a little more information and some answers to your questions about the ICE-16.
The reason the outputs are on RCA phonos is purely down to space. There was not enough room to fit jack sockets with the Firewire and USB connectors as well.
The analogue inputs and outputs are unbalanced for the following reasons:
The main intention for the product is to provide a convenient solution for local recording from multiple analogue sources - predominantly direct outputs, insert points or analogue feeds from a pre-amplifer. These tend to be either unbalanced or ground compensated circuits in the majority. With short to medium cable connections, ie - with the ICE-16 close to the source, then interference will be negligible and balanced connection is not really an advantage. Of course you can connect a true balanced source to the ICE-16 input.
The argument for limited metering: The analogue inputs are fixed unity gain, and with the original intention for the product being connected to a mixer or analogue source which usually has more comprehensive metering, it didn't seem necessary to duplicate it other than providing signal present and peak indication. I agree a few more segments would be nice, but space is limited also.
The ADC and DAC converters are CS5368 (Cirrus) and PCM4104 (Burr Brown).
Both 24 bit up to 96kHz S/R. 114 & 118dB dynamic range respectively.

Any more questions, let us know....

Kind regards,
Mike.
+44 (0)1326 377097
w: www.allen-heath.com
10th September 2012
Old 10th September 2012
Gear interested

Thank you Mike for your very clear answer. Do you think you could add balanced i/o in a future version? Would DB25 be a good space-saving balanced option? I ask you that because I work with many artists with track playback, and this would be a nice replacement to our current HD24 / macbook + external interface setup.
10th September 2012
Old 10th September 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
Thank you Mike for your very clear answer. Do you think you could add balanced i/o in a future version? Would DB25 be a good space-saving balanced option? I ask you that because I work with many artists with track playback, and this would be a nice replacement to our current HD24 / macbook + external interface setup.
+1!! Grande Javi!
It's what I wanted to ask...db25 could have been a solution on the outputs..
also balanced I/O..

Thanks Mike for the fast answer!
Finally somebody trying to continue on the HD24 road...

What about a 2RU (like a big brother) with:
- Better metering
- balanced I/O
- outputs on TRS or db 25
- maybe 24 channels?
- higher price tag of course, but a more "professional oriented" product

Just my 0.02$,

Cheu
10th September 2012
Old 10th September 2012
Gear maniac

A&H Reply:

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the comments.
Balanced D-Sub 25's certainly would be possible.
24 channels in one unit isn't at the moment I'm afraid, but we are implementing a sync link so the 16 channel units can be connected to synchronise recordings.

Cheers,
Mike.
10th September 2012
Old 10th September 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienHealth View Post
Hi Guys,

Thanks for the comments.
Balanced D-Sub 25's certainly would be possible.
24 channels in one unit isn't at the moment I'm afraid, but we are implementing a sync link so the 16 channel units can be connected to synchronise recordings.

Cheers,
Mike.
Thank you!
I was meaning 1 product 2RU...

Thanks again!

Cheu
|-|
10th September 2012
Old 10th September 2012
|-|
Gear addict

If I didn't already have an RME UFX I'd jump on this!

DB25 would have made MUCH more sense on the outputs to allow balanced out and leave space for TRS instead of TS on the inputs.
10th September 2012
Old 10th September 2012
Gear interested

Pretty cool! Great to stick in an effects rack ready to record at small venues. 24 tracks would have been nicer though. would leave room to record effects and room mics.
11th September 2012
Old 11th September 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ollie633 View Post
Why did they choose for the RCA connectors as outputs I wonder...
Actually, I have always thought RCA connectors are superior because more surface area is making the connection than a standard unbalance quarter inch.
11th September 2012
Old 11th September 2012
Lives for gear

no enough space? how about breakout cable output or d-sub?
PDC
11th September 2012
Old 11th September 2012
PDC
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheu78 View Post
Nice idea...finally a hd recorder!!
This is just the interface, IIRC. You provide the USB stick or hard drive.
11th September 2012
Old 11th September 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDC View Post
This is just the interface, IIRC. You provide the USB stick or hard drive.
I got that.. but there's still nobody else doing this (unless you think to Joeco and I think that you need to buy your hdd anyway)..

Cheu
11th September 2012
Old 11th September 2012
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

awesome! It's just perfect for my mobile setup. I have a one question, is it possible to record thru firewire and on the front USB using stick at the same time ?
11th September 2012
Old 11th September 2012
Lives for gear

Send a message via MSN to santibanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyjanopan View Post
awesome! It's just perfect for my mobile setup. I have a one question, is it possible to record thru firewire and on the front USB using stick at the same time ?
that would be very nice indeed! this way you can record to a DAW and also record a backup to a different harddisk in case something happens to one of the drives…

I chew coffee beans with my teeth while gargling with 195 F water to enjoy coffee. What is this "coffee brewing" device you speak of?
11th September 2012
Old 11th September 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
I got that.. but there's still nobody else doing this (unless you think to Joeco and I think that you need to buy your hdd anyway)..

Cheu
rme ufx had it for a year now.
PDC
11th September 2012
Old 11th September 2012
PDC
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

Quote:

Cheu
JoeCo, RME, Tascam, MOTU, Roland, the list goes on. Don't get me wrong, we sell and I install A&H, but I do not get this product. So what, it assists in capturing. If you have a digital console from one of the majors, you are getting your splits digitally and/or have integrated DAWs. This ICE box puts the user a step backwards. Now he has to go back to analog splitters, etc. This product is a complete twist to the rest of the A&H pro digital line. We were moving people away from copper snakes and splitters. Now, it's time to break them back out, and then buy multiples of these things to get more track count (four is the limit IIRC). Come on. For 4k, I can buy a couple of used RADARs or something and have 48 tracks of good sounding audio, or four Alesis HD24s....

The reason why people aren't doing this is because the concept is unnecessary on that scale IMO.
12th September 2012
Old 12th September 2012
Lives for gear

Well, ICE-16 is one rack space and next to weighs nothing. Also, a 64gig flash drive on a keychain is more convenient than any portable hard drive. I see it being used with analog consoles in small live rigs.
12th September 2012
Old 12th September 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by imaginaryday View Post
rme ufx had it for a year now.
12 channels maximum and 4 of them are in the front.. Not the easiest/fastest thing to connect for recording a live show.. and still only 12 channels..
But I agree the UFX is pretty impressive..

Cheu
12th September 2012
Old 12th September 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDC View Post
JoeCo, RME, Tascam, MOTU, Roland, the list goes on. Don't get me wrong, we sell and I install A&H, but I do not get this product. So what, it assists in capturing. If you have a digital console from one of the majors, you are getting your splits digitally and/or have integrated DAWs. This ICE box puts the user a step backwards. Now he has to go back to analog splitters, etc. This product is a complete twist to the rest of the A&H pro digital line. We were moving people away from copper snakes and splitters. Now, it's time to break them back out, and then buy multiples of these things to get more track count (four is the limit IIRC). Come on. For 4k, I can buy a couple of used RADARs or something and have 48 tracks of good sounding audio, or four Alesis HD24s....

The reason why people aren't doing this is because the concept is unnecessary on that scale IMO.
I have an HD24XR modded, despite the Joeco and the old mackie hdr I can't really think at a 16 tracks hddrecorder that does just the recorder side of things..
I agree with you when about being odd from the other A&H digital line, but this is something different. Also at a very different cost. I think that unbalanced I/O and the rca outs, unfortunately speaks clearly that they didn't aim even at a prosumer level.. or maybe they simply miss the point or they simply had to meet a budget..

Good luck carrying around the radar for live stuff (they're rather heavy and bulky) and if you record some live jazz stuff, good luck with the fan spinning into your mics..

At a completely different level of price I'd get a Digico with the UB Madi and record 'til 48 tracks (with separate gain controls) through any pc/mac usb port.. But it's a different product at a different price.

Cheu
13th September 2012
Old 13th September 2012
Gear maniac

A&H Reply:

Hi Cheu & Guys,
You are right in saying that the ICE-16 is not part of our digital live range of products - to record from those you can choose your digital interface protocol and stream 64 channels straight to a computer.
The ICE-16 is aimed at musicians and sound engineers who have small-ish analogue consoles who want to record individual channels for mixing later.
We still sell a large number of small to medium analogue consoles so the ICE is a very valid product to partner them as you say.
The argument for balanced I/O is interesting - when I laid out the design and circuitry I chose the most common connectors for the inputs (jacks). The unbalanced input buffers offer uncompromised performance for short connection to the source, but I can see that 25 pin D-subs with balanced I/O might be more attractive to pro end-users. The question is - would balanced I/O it be justified if the cost of the unit was 10% to 15% more?

Once again, thanks for your comments. It's really helpful to get you thoughts and preferences.
Cheers,
Mike.
13th September 2012
Old 13th September 2012
Lives for gear

It would be nice if you could record individual track/channel choices at any time to add to a recording.

when you are recording to USB only, are the phono outs deactivated ?
e.g. they do not through the inputs to the phono outputs.

I'm not sure what the input monitor buttons do.
do they determine what tracks are recorded to the USB stick ?
do they sum the selected inputs to the headphones ?
does the USB stick always record ALL channels or just the seleted ?
is the USB stick able to play back it's recorded content via the outs ?

if it does sum the selected inputs to the headphones it would have been nice to
have a seperate pair of outs at line level as well for the sum.
13th September 2012
Old 13th September 2012
Gear interested

Hello, a question for mike, does this mean we might see a usb ZED R16 in the future ? Thanks.
14th September 2012
Old 14th September 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hi Cheu & Guys,
You are right in saying that the ICE-16 is not part of our digital live range of products - to record from those you can choose your digital interface protocol and stream 64 channels straight to a computer.
The ICE-16 is aimed at musicians and sound engineers who have small-ish analogue consoles who want to record individual channels for mixing later.
We still sell a large number of small to medium analogue consoles so the ICE is a very valid product to partner them as you say.
The argument for balanced I/O is interesting - when I laid out the design and circuitry I chose the most common connectors for the inputs (jacks). The unbalanced input buffers offer uncompromised performance for short connection to the source, but I can see that 25 pin D-subs with balanced I/O might be more attractive to pro end-users. The question is - would balanced I/O it be justified if the cost of the unit was 10% to 15% more?

Once again, thanks for your comments. It's really helpful to get you thoughts and preferences.
Cheers,
Mike.
Quote:

Cheers,
Mike.
Dear Mike,
I don't know if A&H have the will or not to do a more "professional" product modeled after the ice16.. I think that if the cost it's about 10-15% more is acceptable, even if some others features might be nice.

If it is it would be cool to have these features (in a different product of course):

- balanced I/O on DB25 (or jack input and DB25 outs..if that helps somehow)
- maybe 24 channels
- better metering (at least 4 or 5 led bar, if you go 2RU you could have a great metering for every channel)
- recording simultaneously on the USB/HDD AND the DAW, so you'll have a back up
- maybe also some sort of DIGITAL I/O like ADAT and/or MADI (maybe with an optional card?)
- all inputs analog/digital should be outputted always on the analog out and digital outs simultaneously (if the card it's installed), like in the HD24..
- good monitoring, clean and powerful
- good power supply and good converters
- being able to arm the tracks individually, with an hardware button, below every channel
- the display should tell how many hours you could record with the selected channels on the USB/HDD mode activated

I personally won't mind a 2RU, even if of course 1RU will be very neat to carry around..

I hope somebody will make a modern version of an "HD24", with all the benefits we could have today and none of the, very few, limits/flaws of the hd24.. (beside being bulky and 3RU, no monitoring, and being somewhat sensible to the low freq's with the hdd, I can't think of any others..).. there's still nothing like it on the market for a reasonable price.

Just my 0.02$,

Cheu
17th September 2012
Old 17th September 2012
Gear interested

The ICE 16, is exactly what I am looking for, and what I've been seeking for a while now. I currently own a 16 channel vintage mixer, with unbalanced i/o's. It has been challenging to say the least, to be able to get all channels into the digital realm, for a decent amount, with the ability to expand at a later date. This unit is precisely what I need. Thank you A&H. I will be purchasing this.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search