UA Apollo First Look (user review)
26th March 2012
Old 26th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboycoalminer View Post
Know what you mean. It honestly sounds like I ran it through my outboard. Can't believe how good that plug is.
Wait till you start putting the ATR-102 on the bus.
26th March 2012
Old 26th March 2012
Lives for gear

26th March 2012
Old 26th March 2012
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboycoalminer View Post
Another. This one I recorded with 2 mics mono, vocal and acoustic simultaneously. All effects were printed didn't think I'd ever say that! Ha. But it's basically what the thing would sound like live, so I did it. Not going to make a habit of it though. He. Chain is 1176, Pultec, Real Verb Pro on vox and Real Verb pro on acoustic, one shot take and full of mistakes(didn't have much time) but you'll get the idea. This thing is an excellent tool. By the way, this song was written by a friend of mine, Chris Stapleton so if you like it, please buy it instead of using this demo MP3. It's on a Tim McGraw record and is easy to find. Thanks.

Hey guys
First of all, thanks a lot cowboycoalminer for the input, I'm happy with what I hear from you here.

May I ask if you guys happy Apollo owners would post unprocessed takes? Just Apollo pres. Thats it.
(I think that was your purpose with that one but FXs were printed..right?)

Last edited by Beaver Tim; 26th March 2012 at 05:17 PM.. Reason: uuuuhh
26th March 2012
Old 26th March 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaver Tim View Post
Hey guys
First of all, thanks a lot cowboycoalminer for the input, I'm happy with what I hear from you here.

May I ask if you guys happy Apollo owners would post unprocessed takes? Just Apollo pres. Thats it.
(I think that was your purpose with that one but FXs were printed..right?)
Yes, I am rather interested in this as well. A great big thank-you for taking the time! However, I am more interested in hearing the interface with Apollo's preamps, as I'm already well aware of how great the plugs sound. Thanks again!
26th March 2012
Old 26th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RightOnRome View Post
any chance you can mic a kit with the internal pres.. k,s,and overs

yes...no...?
26th March 2012
Old 26th March 2012
Lives for gear

Im having a hard time finding this info out from the sales adds.It mentions 3 or 4.
How many plugins do you get with the unit and how would i add more(all) the UAD plugs after.Have no idea how it works as i have never owned any of their plugs.Would i have to add a PCI card to the computer.
26th March 2012
Old 26th March 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavern View Post
Im having a hard time finding this info out from the sales adds.It mentions 3 or 4.
How many plugins do you get with the unit and how would i add more(all) the UAD plugs after.Have no idea how it works as i have never owned any of their plugs.Would i have to add a PCI card to the computer.
The answers are here:
Apollo High-Resolution Interface with Realtime UAD Processing
The Apollo is coming with the "Analog Classics Plug-In Bundle", and no you shouldn't need to buy a PCI card...see the UAD chart:
UAD Instance Chart
26th March 2012
Old 26th March 2012
Lives for gear

Thank you for all the clips!
26th March 2012
Old 26th March 2012
Gear Head

Cavern,

The interface has a UAD-2 card inside of it(either duo or quad) that allows you to process the plugins. So no you don't have to have an additional card. However, if you want to add more cards for expandability in the future, you can. It comes bundled with the "Analog Classics" which includes the 1176LN, LA2A, Pultec EQ and Realverb along with a channel strip and various generic effects. As for getting more plugs, you can activate a 14 day demo of any of their plugs to try out first and then purchase directly through the website if you like the demo(and trust me, you will).
26th March 2012
Old 26th March 2012
Lives for gear

Do you guys know if you're able to postpone the usage of the demo plugins? I would obviously like to install the bundled software when mine arrives to get up and going, but there are a few of the demo plugins like the Studer that I'd like to use in a big session I have coming up early Summer. Is it packaged in a separate file from the installers, or does the clock start ticking from day one of install?
26th March 2012
Old 26th March 2012
Gear interested

I think the samples sound great - but were we able to confirm the source of the intermittent chorusing / doubling effect? Was it the real verb for certain, as speculated?
26th March 2012
Old 26th March 2012
Gear Head

Avening, you choose when to activate your demos and you can activate one at a time or all of them if you choose. Universal Audio has been known to extend the demo periods if you still aren't sold on it. This can be achieved by calling their customer service reps and requesting an extension. As for the install files being separate, when you install the UAD application, it installs all of the plugins on your computer or Mac, but they are "locked" unless purchased or activated as a demo. When they have updates for the software, it installs the new plugins that they release as time goes on, plus updates the software and fixes bugs.
26th March 2012
Old 26th March 2012
Gear interested

Universal Audio has an excellent forum with a wealth of info for all you guys getting started. UADforums.com

They have a new forum there for Apollo, I believe.

@OP thanks so much for being the pioneer!
26th March 2012
Old 26th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan.osborne View Post
Avening, you choose when to activate your demos and you can activate one at a time or all of them if you choose. Universal Audio has been known to extend the demo periods if you still aren't sold on it. This can be achieved by calling their customer service reps and requesting an extension. As for the install files being separate, when you install the UAD application, it installs all of the plugins on your computer or Mac, but they are "locked" unless purchased or activated as a demo. When they have updates for the software, it installs the new plugins that they release as time goes on, plus updates the software and fixes bugs.
Excellent. Thanks for the info.
26th March 2012
Old 26th March 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
Avening, you choose when to activate your demos and you can activate one at a time or all of them if you choose. Universal Audio has been known to extend the demo periods if you still aren't sold on it. This can be achieved by calling their customer service reps and requesting an extension.
Also, each time you purchase a new UAD-2 plug-in, any expired demos get reset. Like a crack dealer, UA will keep feeding our plug-in addiction until we are hooked.

Cheers,

Billy Buck
26th March 2012
Old 26th March 2012
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avening View Post
Excellent. Thanks for the info.
Not a problem. Let me know if you have any additional questions.
26th March 2012
Old 26th March 2012
Lives for gear

26th March 2012
Old 26th March 2012
Gear nut

I couldn't find this answered anywhere: Is it possible to track processed and unprocessed versions of an input at the same time?
26th March 2012
Old 26th March 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Besottedly View Post
No pops and clicks on my end!
Nor mine
26th March 2012
Old 26th March 2012
Church of UAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by quakenul View Post
I couldn't find this answered anywhere: Is it possible to track processed and unprocessed versions of an input at the same time?
No, but that sure would be ideal, wouldn't it?
26th March 2012
Old 26th March 2012
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by quakenul View Post
From the software manual:

Function of the Insert Effects Switch
The Insert Effects switch determines if the DAW records Console’s inputs with or without Realtime UAD Processing, regardless of the actual wet or dry state of the monitor mix. This is accomplished by routing Console’s inputs into the DAW from before the plug-in inserts (dry recording) or after the plug-in inserts (wet recording).
Note: Recording into a DAW with or without Realtime UAD Processing via the Insert Effects switch is a global function.

So it's an either/or selection. Regardless of monitoring, you can choose wet or dry tracking. But you can't track both wet and dry.
27th March 2012
Old 27th March 2012
Gear maniac

Actually, you can, but in a very limited way.

The auxes, headphone outputs and monitor mix all appear as virtual inputs within your DAW so you can record them. It's in the software manual, and a very neat trick.

Because they are the Apollos outputs they are always wet, with monitoring FX, even if the record with FX button is off.

This means you can print a parallel send with your auxes of anything you desire, or record your wet headphone or monitor mix just by creating a track and setting the input in your DAW to the aux / HP or monitor.

For me, this is a dream to be able to print parallel compression with such ease!
27th March 2012
Old 27th March 2012
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by stakeoutstudios View Post

The auxes, headphone outputs and monitor mix all appear as virtual inputs within your DAW so you can record them. It's in the software manual, and a very neat trick.

Because they are the Apollos outputs they are always wet, with monitoring FX, even if the record with FX button is off.

This means you can print a parallel send with your auxes of anything you desire, or record your wet headphone or monitor mix just by creating a track and setting the input in your DAW to the aux / HP or monitor.

For me, this is a dream to be able to print parallel compression with such ease!
After I kept reading the manual, I noticed this too. So you can theoretically have an additional 10 inputs into your DAW due to these virtual inputs.
27th March 2012
Old 27th March 2012
Gear nut

Nice, thanks a lot
27th March 2012
Old 27th March 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
After I kept reading the manual, I noticed this too. So you can theoretically have an additional 10 inputs into your DAW due to these virtual inputs.
Yes, though you have 18 physical inputs including digital, plus the virtual inputs show up just like actual physical inputs in your DAW. These virtual inputs are mirrors of the hardware and software outputs on console. You can use any of those in real time and print separate 'virtual' inputs with plugins straight to your DAW.

The thought of being able to record a drum kit with a parallel compressed mix of the kit on a track that's not eating my inputs is very appealing.

Likewise, the ease of setting up a channel to simply record the monitor mix outputs - no need to bounce or buss to record your master output in pro tools.

Very good for the low latency monitoring workflow. Very good for workflow generally!
27th March 2012
Old 27th March 2012
Gear addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avening View Post
Do you guys know if you're able to postpone the usage of the demo plugins? I would obviously like to install the bundled software when mine arrives to get up and going, but there are a few of the demo plugins like the Studer that I'd like to use in a big session I have coming up early Summer. Is it packaged in a separate file from the installers, or does the clock start ticking from day one of install?
I believe the clock starts when you first try to use one and only for that one. The clock would start differently for other plugins. I could be wrong but I seem to recall accidentally opening a non licensed plug a year or so after purchasing the UAD2 card and it indicated it would allow me 14 days to decide to purchase or not. Best to check with UA but I'm fairly certain I am correct.
27th March 2012
Old 27th March 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by PdotDdot View Post
I believe the clock starts when you first try to use one and only for that one. The clock would start differently for other plugins. I could be wrong but I seem to recall accidentally opening a non licensed plug a year or so after purchasing the UAD2 card and it indicated it would allow me 14 days to decide to purchase or not. Best to check with UA but I'm fairly certain I am correct.
You are correct, the trial time period starts only when you select and use each plugin, not from the original purchase date of the hardware. So you can stagger the trials as you need or want. But when the 14-days are up that's it.
27th March 2012
Old 27th March 2012
Church of UAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by stakeoutstudios View Post

This is correct. I've just read the manual and found a few neat little tricks. Mine is arriving Thursday and I'll be putting it up against Apogee, BLA Modded Apogee, Digi 192's, and more.

I'll be posting files, thoughts, pics, maybe video, etc. over at the uadforums, if anyone's interested in checking them out.
27th March 2012
Old 27th March 2012
Gear nut

Heya cowboycoalminer - if there's any chance you could take a second to look at something for me I'd really appreciate it

I'm looking at the Apollo for live performance use, rather than for recording, and whilst using UAD plugins with no latency on inputs is understood, is it going to be possible to insert UAD plugins on the outputs as well?

What I would love to be able to do is:

- Set up my project so that all channels are ultimately routed to a total of 3 or 4 stereo busses (rather than just the one "master" bus)... i.e. a "Drums" bus, a "Vox" bus, etc. etc. within the DAW

- Assign those 3 or 4 stereo busses within the DAW to software outputs 1-8 in the Apollo drivers

- Use UAD plugins as inserts on each of those 3 or 4 busses within the Apollo mixer

- Have the option of either:
(a) outputting each bus to its corresponding hardware output; or
(b) summing those busses within the Apollo mixer to one stereo "master" bus and have the ability to use UAD plugins as inserts on that "master" bus too

Is the mixer going to be flexible enough to allow this kind of thing? Or does it look like the UAD plugins are only really able to be used as inserts on inputs?
27th March 2012
Old 27th March 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by houndog328 View Post
You are correct, the trial time period starts only when you select and use each plugin, not from the original purchase date of the hardware. So you can stagger the trials as you need or want. But when the 14-days are up that's it.
Hey guys UAD is very cool about resetting the demos so I wouldnt worry about it. They have always reset mine with just an email request.
They have great customer service.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search