UA Apollo First Look (user review)
#61
25th March 2012
Old 25th March 2012
  #61
Gear interested
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonT View Post
I am hearing pops and clicks.... do you have things clocked correctly? Or am I crazy. Listen on two separate system and hear the same on both.

BTW, all of the clips sound good to me. I hear the difference between the Duet and Apollo bu the Duet still sounds nice.
Cowboycoalminer- Thanks for the clips, great song and great voice!

Ron-T, you're not crazy. There is a pop at 00:15 (Whiskey and You) right before "there's a bottle" I can't pinpoint rather it's the interface or just noise from the recording.

Cowboycoalminer- (Whiskey and You) There is a doubling/chorus effect of the lead vocal at 2:28 "ain't like what you think" & @ 3:28 "long cold bed of truth" Could this be a latency glitch between the dry and processed signal during tracking…?mp3 bounce artifacts…? Shooting blind here but it really does have me puzzled as it could and only if it relates to the interface itself. Did you double leads at these points, can you here it in your unbounced session when the lead is soloed? I know that you didn't and don't have much time, tying to keep comments and/or questions relevant to the interface

Again, Thank you sooo much for taking the time to post clips, I/We really appreciate it!
#62
25th March 2012
Old 25th March 2012
  #62
Lives for gear
 
Big_Bang's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by towerofpure View Post

Ron-T, you're not crazy. There is a pop at 00:15 (Whiskey and You) right before "there's a bottle" I can't pinpoint rather it's the interface or just noise from the recording.

Cowboycoalminer- (Whiskey and You) There is a doubling/chorus effect of the lead vocal at 2:28 "ain't like what you think" & @ 3:28 "long cold bed of truth" Could this be a latency glitch between the dry and processed signal during tracking…?mp3 bounce artifacts…? Shooting blind here but it really does have me puzzled as it could and only if it relates to the interface itself. Did you double leads at these points, can you here it in your unbounced session when the lead is soloed? I know that you didn't and don't have much time, tying to keep comments and/or questions relevant to the interface

Again, Thank you sooo much for taking the time to post clips, I/We really appreciate it!
00:15 is not a pop, its a "lisping", humid lips coming apart does this sound.

2:28 & 3:28... if its not an overdub left behind unmuted... ouch!!

3:40 ... there is another creepy phasing on the " .... ho-oooooh"

Gotta say though, need lots more audio files, but I am quite impressed by the pre's.

There is another phasing thing right at the start 00:34 "when I wake up on the floor"

Yep, with this last one I can really hear its the Real Verb Pro. When the singer goes stronger and excites the reverb, it's comb filtering.

Damn, now I can hear it all over the place... ... never liked Real Verb Pro, but I've also never spent enough time with it.
#63
25th March 2012
Old 25th March 2012
  #63
Lives for gear
Any chance of lifting off the top cover and snapping a photo of the board layout?
cowboycoalminer
Thread Starter
#64
25th March 2012
Old 25th March 2012
  #64
Lives for gear
 
cowboycoalminer's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
AMS Neve 1081 outboard pre on this one, EQ engaged. This will give you a good Idea of the quality of the convertors. I think they give an excellent sound field, nice and deep. I tracked these vocals about 12 to 14 inches away from the mic to see how deep they could go and this box really picked up the air of the room. Nice! I'll get back to the onboard pre's soon. Wanted to see what the convertors had with some slutty stuff first.
#65
25th March 2012
Old 25th March 2012
  #65
Lives for gear
 
ProducerBoy's Avatar
 

Thanks for sending all these samples our way!
cowboycoalminer
Thread Starter
#66
25th March 2012
Old 25th March 2012
  #66
Lives for gear
 
cowboycoalminer's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProducerBoy View Post
Thanks for sending all these samples our way!
#67
25th March 2012
Old 25th March 2012
  #67
Lives for gear
 
cavern's Avatar
 

Yeah,this is very interesting so thanks for taking the time.
I currently love the UFX right now but nothing is etched in stone.

Also,enjoying those songs.
#68
25th March 2012
Old 25th March 2012
  #68
Lives for gear
 
Avening's Avatar
 

Thanks for posting these up. Looking forward to receiving mine some time next week.

Any hiccups with the software yet? Crashing, dropouts, ect.? And how are you finding the stability of the system at lower buffer settings while tracking (64 samples, ect...)? Any issues with latency?

Thanks again.
cowboycoalminer
Thread Starter
#69
25th March 2012
Old 25th March 2012
  #69
Lives for gear
 
cowboycoalminer's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avening View Post
Thanks for posting these up. Looking forward to receiving mine some time next week.

Any hiccups with the software yet? Crashing, dropouts, ect.? And how are you finding the stability of the system at lower buffer settings while tracking (64 samples, ect...)? Any issues with latency?

Thanks again.
I have found one major glitch in the console. I has happened twice. As I placed the plugs on the strip, one in particular, Real Verb Pro causes the console to crash. You have to force quit and start over. It doesn't happen every time though and I found a way to work around it by saving a template. Very unusual for a Mac. I suspect this might have been one reason for the late release? I'm sure they will issue an update. Installation was solid and a breeze. I'm not too concerned about this as all software is buggy at first. Wouldn't want to be tracking a big money session with it though at this point. One thing I DON'T like is I can't move plugs around in their order on the strip. If you can, I haven't figured out how yet.
#70
25th March 2012
Old 25th March 2012
  #70
Gear interested
 

I am not a big Country Music fan but...

That song sounds great.

Awesome stuff.
cowboycoalminer
Thread Starter
#71
26th March 2012
Old 26th March 2012
  #71
Lives for gear
 
cowboycoalminer's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
Had to share this. I demo the Studer plug and get this. This is the same exact tune and bounce as above except I added the Studer on the first insert of the buss strip. You can hear for yourself but, wow. I've used the waves kramer version but this is miles apart.
#72
26th March 2012
Old 26th March 2012
  #72
Gear interested
 

Hi cowboy.

I suggest you to not use the demos, unless you have a good money to spend.
In a few days you will post here "well, i had to buy studer"
Same will happen with most os demos you try...
Believe me
cowboycoalminer
Thread Starter
#73
26th March 2012
Old 26th March 2012
  #73
Lives for gear
 
cowboycoalminer's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glaucocoma View Post
Hi cowboy.

I suggest you to not use the demos, unless you have a good money to spend.
In a few days you will post here "well, i had to buy studer"
Same will happen with most os demos you try...
Believe me
Know what you mean. It honestly sounds like I ran it through my outboard. Can't believe how good that plug is.
cowboycoalminer
Thread Starter
#74
26th March 2012
Old 26th March 2012
  #74
Lives for gear
 
cowboycoalminer's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
Mobile rig.
Attached Thumbnails
UA Apollo First Look (user review)-img_1210.jpg  
#75
26th March 2012
Old 26th March 2012
  #75
Lives for gear
 
Quint's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboycoalminer View Post
AMS Neve 1081 outboard pre on this one, EQ engaged. This will give you a good Idea of the quality of the convertors. I think they give an excellent sound field, nice and deep. I tracked these vocals about 12 to 14 inches away from the mic to see how deep they could go and this box really picked up the air of the room. Nice! I'll get back to the onboard pre's soon. Wanted to see what the convertors had with some slutty stuff first.
Okay, can you help clear something up for me. I'm not understanding what it is that you tracked here. This song is a couple of years old already. Did you have access to the song, sans vocals, and add your own vocal track? Otherwise I don't see how it was tracked on the Apollo.
#76
26th March 2012
Old 26th March 2012
  #76
Lives for gear
 
Quint's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboycoalminer View Post
Had to share this. I demo the Studer plug and get this. This is the same exact tune and bounce as above except I added the Studer on the first insert of the buss strip. You can hear for yourself but, wow. I've used the waves kramer version but this is miles apart.
You added the Studer on the master bus or added it to every individual track?
cowboycoalminer
Thread Starter
#77
26th March 2012
Old 26th March 2012
  #77
Lives for gear
 
cowboycoalminer's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quint View Post
You added the Studer on the master bus or added it to every individual track?
Just the master buss. One instance.
cowboycoalminer
Thread Starter
#78
26th March 2012
Old 26th March 2012
  #78
Lives for gear
 
cowboycoalminer's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quint View Post
Okay, can you help clear something up for me. I'm not understanding what it is that you tracked here. This song is a couple of years old already. Did you have access to the song, sans vocals, and add your own vocal track? Otherwise I don't see how it was tracked on the Apollo.
Vocals only.
#79
26th March 2012
Old 26th March 2012
  #79
Lives for gear
 
Quint's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboycoalminer View Post
Just the master buss. One instance.
Well I'd have to agree. The Studer definitely made a positive difference.
#80
26th March 2012
Old 26th March 2012
  #80
Lives for gear
 
Quint's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboycoalminer View Post
Vocals only.
So those are brand new vocals you recorded? I ask because they sound just like the same performance on the original track that came out a couple of years ago. Just fyi, I'm not trying to insinuate anything here. I'm just confused about what was actually done in your sample track. Can you clarify this?

Are you the original engineer for this track and got the original performer to come in and retrack the vocal? Or, are you actually the performer themself and just retracked your own vocal to show what the Apollo can do? Sorry, I'm just confused about your test samples.
cowboycoalminer
Thread Starter
#81
26th March 2012
Old 26th March 2012
  #81
Lives for gear
 
cowboycoalminer's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quint View Post
So those are brand new vocals you recorded? I ask because they sound just like the same performance on the original track that came out a couple of years ago. Just fyi, I'm not trying to insinuate anything here. I'm just confused about what was actually done in your sample track. Can you clarify this?
They are mine. I did them this morning. Can you tell a difference? I think they sound a tad more open. Be good to get your opinion.
#82
26th March 2012
Old 26th March 2012
  #82
Gear Head
 
jonathan.osborne's Avatar
 

I think you should also get a demo for the Massive Passive and mix some tracks with that.
#83
26th March 2012
Old 26th March 2012
  #83
Gear Head
 
jonathan.osborne's Avatar
 

The Studer made the track sound more open and also gave it a more punchy rock sound than the original. Awesome clip!
cowboycoalminer
Thread Starter
#84
26th March 2012
Old 26th March 2012
  #84
Lives for gear
 
cowboycoalminer's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quint View Post
Well I'd have to agree. The Studer definitely made a positive difference.
Yeah, and all I did was move the other plugs down on the strip to make room and turned it on and chose a preset. Whamo. Didn't touch a comp, limiter, nothing. Same mix other than that. It's hard to believe. I usually hate bouncing to disk but this thing has me thinking.
#85
26th March 2012
Old 26th March 2012
  #85
Lives for gear
 
Quint's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboycoalminer View Post
They are mine. I did them this morning. Can you tell a difference? I think they sound a tad more open. Be good to get your opinion.
Well I'm not into this kind of music so I wouldn't be able to point out any differences between this and the original track as I've only heard the original song played by people I happened to be around so I'm not intimately familiar with the song. I'm assuming you recorded the original song for whomever the artist is and just laid your version of the vocals down on top of the backing tracks? Is that correct?
#86
26th March 2012
Old 26th March 2012
  #86
Lives for gear
 
Quint's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboycoalminer View Post
Yeah, and all I did was move the other plugs down on the strip to make room and turned it on and chose a preset. Whamo. Didn't touch a comp, limiter, nothing. Same mix other than that. It's hard to believe. I usually hate bouncing to disk but this thing has me thinking.
I'd agree. That's an impressive improvement. It sounds more "alive". Now you should try the Studer on every channel to achieve a real difference in sound.
#87
26th March 2012
Old 26th March 2012
  #87
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsvisser View Post
Any chance of lifting off the top cover and snapping a photo of the board layout?
+1 the more megapixels the better. The geek in me has to know!
#88
26th March 2012
Old 26th March 2012
  #88
Gear maniac
 
Jimmy kiddo's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboycoalminer View Post
It appears you would have to assign an I/O, say channel 8? as an FX loop. Not a problem per say, but it will take a channel.
I see ! Thanks for the input !
#89
26th March 2012
Old 26th March 2012
  #89
Lives for gear
 
RightOnRome's Avatar
any chance you can mic a kit with the internal pres.. k,s,and overs
#90
26th March 2012
Old 26th March 2012
  #90
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.
I love all the doubles and tucked backing beds in country vocals. That's a specialty of the genre. Nice singing Cowboy.
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
ericdevine / So much gear, so little time!
2
smoovemode / So much gear, so little time!
42
jlw140891 / Electronic Music Instruments & Electronic Music Production
17
ericdevine / So much gear, so little time!
2

Forum Jump
 
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.