Login / Register

Reaper 4 - Tips & Tricks by Kenny Gioia - Video Tutorials!!!
New Reply
Subscribe
Kenny Gioia
21st March 2012
Old 21st March 2012
Gear Guru

Send a message via AIM to Kenny Gioia
Reaper 4 - Tips & Tricks by Kenny Gioia - Video Tutorials!!!

Just wanted to announce the release of my new Reaper 4 Tutorials.

Reaper 4 - Tips and Tricks

-------------------------------------------------------------------

REAPER 4 - TIPS & TRICKS

AWESOME TIPS & TRICKS FOR REAPER

Use Reaper? Want to get more out of it? Reaper master Kenny Gioia shows you a ton of cool tips and tricks that you can use when working with the powerful Reaper DAW.

Kenny starts off the collection with screen sets, freezing tracks, automating plug-ins, custom click tracks and sidechaining in Reaper. He then dives into drum editing, drum replacement techniques and working with vocals. Lastly, Kenny wraps up the series with cool videos on editing, working with plug-ins, advanced zooming and scrolling and much more.

If you use Reaper, this information is key to increasing your speed and creativeness. Spend some time with Kenny and check out these awesome tutorials today!

Product Highlights:

• 24 Tutorials / Almost 5 Hours Total Runtime
• For all intermediate to advanced Cockos Reaper 4 users
• Tutorials written by multi-platinum selling producer Kenny Gioia
• Simple to use video control interface for Mac & PC
• Viewing Options: Online, Download, Disc, iDevice Streaming
-------------------------------------------------------------------

I want to thank everyone and this forum for their support.

Thank you.

21st March 2012
Old 21st March 2012
Gear addict

These type of tutorials always remind me that I eventually should take that final step and dive into Reaper...

It is difficult to abandon the land of familiarity but I believe that dealing with a different DAW might change my habitual thinking. Do you plan at any point to release tutorials of how to use Reaper in Live situations? Such as triggering clips, setting up super low latency backing tracks, routing FX for live shows etc, etc

Thank you
21st March 2012
Old 21st March 2012
Gear addict

My Studio

Software

Yep! I did, and don't regret it. Reaper is an amazing DAW
Kenny Gioia
22nd March 2012
Old 22nd March 2012
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Beast View Post

Do you plan at any point to release tutorials of how to use Reaper in Live situations? Such as triggering clips, setting up super low latency backing tracks, routing FX for live shows etc, etc

Thank you
I'll put it on my list.

Thanks
22nd March 2012
Old 22nd March 2012
Gear maniac

Cool, been waiting for this one for a while (and as with every waiting game in this life, when the waiting is finally over its like you never waited in the first place :-). Looking forward to checking it out!
22nd March 2012
Old 22nd March 2012
Gear maniac

I will definitely be picking this up. The pro tools tips and tricks series was incredible. I learned a TON from them!

Sent from my ADR6400L using Gearslutz App
22nd March 2012
Old 22nd March 2012
Gear Head

Great. I've been waiting for this. Thank you Kenny. Your tutorials are the best out there. I will buy it right now. I'm so into Reaper and I want to keep master it with this kind of videos. Are you planning to do a series of Tips and Tricks for Reaper just as you do with PT? I will be awesome to get more from you for this DAW. Thanks again.
Kenny Gioia
24th March 2012
Old 24th March 2012
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juanra Ortiz View Post
Great. I've been waiting for this. Thank you Kenny. Your tutorials are the best out there. I will buy it right now. I'm so into Reaper and I want to keep master it with this kind of videos. Are you planning to do a series of Tips and Tricks for Reaper just as you do with PT? I will be awesome to get more from you for this DAW. Thanks again.
I'm really hoping to do many of these. Let me know what you think.

Thanks.
26th March 2012
Old 26th March 2012
Lives for gear

I bought it the day it was announced. I've only had time to view about half of it so far, but as expected, it is great as all of Kenny's tutorials are!

Kenny, it appears that you have slowed down your speaking a bit. I recall some folks commenting on how fast you spoke on some of your previous videos. While I (as a native English speaker) enjoyed the brisk pace of your previous tutorials, I like this one just as much and hopefully your non-native English speaking viewers will appreciate it too. Keep up the fantastic work!
26th March 2012
Old 26th March 2012
Gear nut

Kenny, really looking forward to getting this. I use Reaper 4 Explained as my video manual! Everyone I've suggested Reaper to I've advised to get your vids as well. Keep up the great work !
26th March 2012
Old 26th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey Free View Post
Kenny, really looking forward to getting this. I use Reaper 4 Explained as my video manual! Everyone I've suggested Reaper to I've advised to get your vids as well. Keep up the great work !
Me too... The tutorial is very well made! to Kenny for the wonderful work! I can't recommend these tutorials enough for anybody who wants to start with reaper or anybody who's already working with it..
Where did you learn all that stuff for reaper Kenny? Were you kidnapped by reaper aliens???
Seriously great job, you breath reaper Kenny..

Thanks for doing that..

Cheu

www.masterdaelion.com
A new, breaktrough way of reading your music scores.

"If you want to be given everything, give everything up"

www.qtrio.ch

www.studio21.ch

Quote:
We're only as good as the musicians we keep; the same goes for the musicians. - Remoteness
26th March 2012
Old 26th March 2012
Gear interested

Thanks so much for this, Kenny! I really like how you show the basic/long way to do something, then surprise the viewer with the even easier/shorter way via Reaper's features.

Really loved the drum editing module. I'm switching over to your way of doing it. So sleek!

I suggest that you include or at least mention the SWS extensions; they really make Reaper THAT much better and are a must IMO for any Reaper user. Maybe a whole module on the best and "essential" macros?
27th March 2012
Old 27th March 2012
Gear Head

It says for intermediate to advance Reaper users. What about the newbies? Would it fit just nice to start learning Reaper from scratch? (am considering making the jump very soon).
Kenny Gioia
27th March 2012
Old 27th March 2012
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPOTS View Post
It says for intermediate to advanced Reaper users. What about the newbies? Would it fit just nice to start learning Reaper from scratch? (am considering making the jump very soon).
I would suggest getting this one first:

Reaper 4 Explained by Kenny Gioia

and then getting this one:

Reaper Tips & Tricks

Thanks
27th March 2012
Old 27th March 2012
Swimming with nanoprobes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Gioia View Post

Reaper Tips & Tricks

Thanks
Yep, highly recommended - Reaper 4 Explained made my own transition from Logic to Reaper land very quick and easy. Only just got started on the Tips & Tricks one, but it immediately felt like home.

As always, top stuff Kenny! I'm not even halfway through this one and am already looking forward to the sequel.

Sven

Happy studio -> Borglab website and Borglab on Twitter.
Angry band -> Limited edition 10" EP out now!! (Also on iTunes, Spotify and those kinda joints. But it just won't smell like vinyl.)

"Please, Captain, not in front of the Klingons." -- Spock
27th March 2012
Old 27th March 2012
Gear Head

27th March 2012
Old 27th March 2012
Gear Head

A question to those who know Reaper well:
If every DAW features specific strengths and weaknesses (or missing capabilities), what would you say about Reaper? Those of you who switched from Logic, Protools or Cubase to Reaper, are there any important feature that you feel you are missing now? Or do you feel like it's a 100% winner and worth spending time to learn this new tool?
For music writing I work with Logic (was considering switching to Cubase a little while ago but never did the jump yet). For massive audio editing I work with ProTools. For the mixing I either work or one or the other, depending on the original project.
I'd be very interested in knowing what I should expect to miss and gain, if I switch to Reaper.

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Note: after checking one of the tutorials online I find it very hard to understand him sometimes. The talk suffer dramatic time compression to a point where it gets really tough to understand what is being said. Is that due to a bug with the player online or is it inherent to all the tutorials of this company?
Kenny Gioia
27th March 2012
Old 27th March 2012
Gear Guru

Quote:
A question to those who know Reaper well:
If every DAW features specific strengths and weaknesses (or missing capabilities), what would you say about Reaper? Those of you who switched from Logic, Protools or Cubase to Reaper, are there any important feature that you feel you are missing now? Or do you feel like it's a 100% winner and worth spending time to learn this new tool?
For music writing I work with Logic (was considering switching to Cubase a little while ago but never did the jump yet). For massive audio editing I work with ProTools. For the mixing I either work or one or the other, depending on the original project.
I'd be very interested in knowing what I should expect to miss and gain, if I switch to Reaper.

Thanks in advance for your feedback.
People claim that Reaper lacks midi but being a person who has modest midi needs, I don't see it. It does lack in the included sounds. It doesn't have any. But I assume you could still use all the stuff that comes with Logic.

The included plugins are great though.

I think it lacks a bit in the automation area but that depends on how you work. With all the envelopes and different media item gain adjustments, I find myself using standard automation a lot less. IOW - If one guitar lick is a bit too loud or low, you can just make a take envelope for that item and bring just that one lick up or down as needed. No need to run automation at all.

Where it is much stronger is with customization. You can change any Keystroke to do anything. And with thousands of "actions", you can change the program to behave how you want to work. Including how your mouse behaves using Mouse Modifiers. Just about everything can be changed for your preferences. And you can Automate or Modulate any parameter. Comp lightening fast with takes. Save Comps and Freeze tracks to save DSP. And replacing media items is much easier as well.

But the one thing that confuses newer users is this customization power. Because most people are used to learning how to use a DAW the way the manufacturer intended. But with Reaper, you have to think backwards. How do I want this DAW to work for me? And then make Reaper do that.

Good luck.
27th March 2012
Old 27th March 2012
Gear nut

Hi Kenny,

We love what you're doing with these tutorials- thank you so much for all the great tips and your hard work!

If you have any input on a Reaper shortcut sticker set we would very much appreciate it. We've already started the discussion on the Reaper forum here:

Cockos Reaper Forum: Reaper Shortcut Stickers

Thanks again for an amazing product!
27th March 2012
Old 27th March 2012
Gear Head

Thanks Kenny for your feedback. Very helpful.
28th March 2012
Old 28th March 2012
Gear nut

Quote:

Reaper Tips & Tricks

Thanks
These are great tutorials. They improved my workflow a lot.
I am digging "tips and tricks" tutorials now.
Reaper has so many features I still haven't even try yet
Kenny Gioia
28th March 2012
Old 28th March 2012
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coady Carlisle View Post
Hi Kenny,

We love what you're doing with these tutorials- thank you so much for all the great tips and your hard work!

If you have any input on a Reaper shortcut sticker set we would very much appreciate it. We've already started the discussion on the Reaper forum here:

Cockos Reaper Forum: Reaper Shortcut Stickers

Thanks again for an amazing product!
Those look really cool.

I tend to change my Keystrokes constantly and rarely have trouble memorizing them so I don't think it's aimed at me. But I'd suggest making the default set for new users of Reaper as a priority.

Good luck.
28th March 2012
Old 28th March 2012
Gear nut

Quote:
Those look really cool.
I'd suggest making the default set for new users of Reaper as a priority.
Kenny, thank you for the suggestion! And the positive feedback

We're coming up with a set that would let people customize their layouts. But a default set will certainly be the priority. Thank you for the input and we wish you all the best
Kenny Gioia
29th March 2012
Old 29th March 2012
Gear Guru

Quote:
Thanks Kenny for your feedback. Very helpful.
Let me know what you think.

Thanks for the support.
29th March 2012
Old 29th March 2012
Lives for gear

Haven't seen this one but Reaper Explained really made me understand Reaper. Any Reaper-noob should check it out. Kenny's da man.
30th March 2012
Old 30th March 2012
Frequency Wrangler

Hey Kenny, only part way through the videos so far but thought i would share my thoughts so far anyway.

First, basically each video i've watched so far i've thought "oh, i already know how to use this feature so maybe i should skip". And without fail, you always show me AT LEAST one thing i didn't know about it, or another way of using it!

I've also asked a few times on the forum how to setup an "inspector style" strip so i can click a track and get an enlarged view on that track (and mixer) on the left but never got a response. The screensets videos finally explained that for me and in a way that took me about 2 secs to grasp how and why it was working! A forum post really can't offer the same speed for learning IMHO (assuming you get a response :P ).

The next "slap to head" moment for me, was even just reading the title of the video "Default Presets". I dunno why it's never occurred to me, but i read that title and immediately knew what you were going to cover and have set that up for all the plugs i use!

I've already introduced screensets and default presets into my workflow that i wasn't doing before so thanks!

I also personally love the more "this is what i do in my workflow" rather than "this is what you can do".. simply because the amount of options in Reaper is overwhelming so i find it more valuable to know what you've found to be the most practical. You don't always do this, but i appreciate the times you do!

I've just finished drum editing part 1, so will let you know more when i've finished all the vids.

"Art is the expression of imagination, not the reproduction of reality." - Henry Moore
Kenny Gioia
30th March 2012
Old 30th March 2012
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainHook View Post
Hey Kenny, only part way through the videos so far but thought i would share my thoughts so far anyway.

First, basically each video i've watched so far i've thought "oh, i already know how to use this feature so maybe i should skip". And without fail, you always show me AT LEAST one thing i didn't know about it, or another way of using it!

I've also asked a few times on the forum how to setup an "inspector style" strip so i can click a track and get an enlarged view on that track (and mixer) on the left but never got a response. The screensets videos finally explained that for me and in a way that took me about 2 secs to grasp how and why it was working! A forum post really can't offer the same speed for learning IMHO (assuming you get a response :P ).

The next "slap to head" moment for me, was even just reading the title of the video "Default Presets". I dunno why it's never occurred to me, but i read that title and immediately knew what you were going to cover and have set that up for all the plugs i use!

I've already introduced screensets and default presets into my workflow that i wasn't doing before so thanks!

I also personally love the more "this is what i do in my workflow" rather than "this is what you can do".. simply because the amount of options in Reaper is overwhelming so i find it more valuable to know what you've found to be the most practical. You don't always do this, but i appreciate the times you do!

I've just finished drum editing part 1, so will let you know more when i've finished all the vids.
Thanks man.
30th March 2012
Old 30th March 2012
Gear nut

Great vids! The sound replacement in Reaper is ridiculously cool! Haven't thought it's even possible that way!
One question, sorry if it's covered and I missed it, but is there a way to quickly hide and expand automation lanes?
30th March 2012
Old 30th March 2012
Frequency Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by meloco_go View Post
Great vids! The sound replacement in Reaper is ridiculously cool! Haven't thought it's even possible that way!
Yeah, i really liked Kenny's trick of using the pitch envelope on the snare fills!

Quote:
One question, sorry if it's covered and I missed it, but is there a way to quickly hide and expand automation lanes?
Apart from what Kenny showed i have the volume automation lane set to a keyboard shortcut (like in PT) so i'm guessing you can do the others also... ?
Kenny Gioia
31st March 2012
Old 31st March 2012
Gear Guru

Quote:
I agree. It's sooo simple.

Quote:
V - will show/hide the volume envelope.

P - will show/hide the pan envelope.

Thanks for the support.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search