Gearslutz.com

Gearslutz.com (http://www.gearslutz.com/board/)
-   Product Alerts older than 2 months (http://www.gearslutz.com/board/product-alerts-older-than-2-months/)
-   -   SW Zynaptiq to introduce UNVEIL De-Reverberation & Signal Focusing Processor @Musikmesse (http://www.gearslutz.com/board/product-alerts-older-than-2-months/711243-zynaptiq-introduce-unveil-de-reverberation-signal-focusing-processor-musikmesse.html)

Denis Goekdag 19th March 2012 06:04 PM

Zynaptiq to introduce UNVEIL De-Reverberation & Signal Focusing Processor @Musikmesse

Hello slutz,

here's the rub on our new plug-in: UNVEIL. Please excuse that this is nearly an exact replica of the press release, and that there are no sound examples yet....preparations for the Messe are keeping me pretty much in overload territory heh

Hannover, March 19th, 2012: We're proud to announce the introduction of UNVEIL, a real-time de-reverberation and signal focusing plug-in for the Mac OS X AudioUnits (AU) format, at our booth at the Frankfurt Musikmesse, Hall 5.1 Booth A91.

http://www.zynaptiq.com/fileadmin/us...nshot_v100.png

UNVEIL is a real-time, de-mixing based plug-in that allows attenuating or boosting reverb components within a mixed signal of any channel count, including mono sources, as well as modifying contained reverb characteristics. Additionally, UNVEIL allows bringing the key features of a recording into focus, or moving them to the background, by attenuating or boosting perceptionally less important signal components.

Based on Zynaptiq's proprietary, artificial intelligence based MAP (Mixed-Signal Audio Processing) technology, UNVEIL‘s applications include:
  • Audio engineers can attenuate reverb in recordings, gaining flexibility both in microphone placement as well as mix-down.
  • Film mixers and dialog editors can remove reverb from dialog and location sound, reducing the need for dialog replacement and foley, and match reverb amounts across different takes or perspectives.
  • Music producers can turn drum-loops rich in reverb into dry recordings, and vice-versa.
  • Music producers can turn drum-loops rich in reverb into dry recordings, and vice-versa.
  • Sound designers and foley artists can remove reflections and ambience from sub-optimally captured sounds.
  • Mix and mastering engineers can bring key mix elements into focus by attenuating components commonly referred to as "mud".

“Removing reverb from recordings has always been difficult, if not impossible. ” Zynaptiq CEO Denis H. Goekdag said. “Existing de-reverberation strategies either manipulate signal dynamics, require specific channel formats, are limited to certain signal types, or all of the above. Not so with UNVEIL, which effectively “listens” to your signal and discerns which parts of the signal are reverb, much like a human would, and then allows you to manipulate just those parts, even when processing mono sources. As it turns out, the process is not limited to processing reverb, but can bring out or move back the key elements of a recording nicely. Dialog editors, mix engineers for music and film, music producers as well as sound designers will make good use of this tool! ”

The UNVEIL real-time features at a glance:

• Attenuate or boost the level of reverb components in mixed signals.
  • Modify reverb characteristics within a mixed recording.
  • Bring key features of any signal into focus by attenuating perceptively less significant components.
  • Works with any sample rate and channel count, including mono sources.

We will be demonstrating UNVEIL at our booth H5.1 A91 at the Frankfurt Musikmesse, March 21st until March 24th, and hand out personal discount vouchers for both UNVEIL as well as our polyphonic pitch processor PITCHMAP to our guests.

UNVEIL as well as a free trial will be available from the Zynaptiq website Monday, March 26th.

UNVEIL comes as Mac AU (AudioUnits) Plug-In, with VST and AAX support for both Mac and Windows platforms planned for later in 2012.

UNVEIL is priced at USD/EUR 399,- and a limited-time introductory price of USD/EUR 269,- is available until June 1st, 2012 (prices in EUR inclusive of 19% VAT).

hooppiehooppiehooppie

And don't forget: this is the booth with the gallons of excellent single malt :-)

acmusic 20th March 2012 12:39 AM

kfhkh

feck 20th March 2012 02:38 AM

Damn. Kudos to you guys for continuing to innovate!

bishop666 20th March 2012 08:57 AM

Hope it works. Could be useful.

tilman 20th March 2012 11:37 AM

Very exciting!

tilman 20th March 2012 01:53 PM

but.....AAX is crucial for filmsound!!!

DSK 20th March 2012 05:49 PM

Zynaptiq make amazing and unique stuff.
This is no surprise considering their legacy.

What I like about them also bothers me:

they make unique stuff but it's so niche and high tech that they have to price it accordingly...gruudge

This could really be an amazing tool for sound design! Looking forward to demo it.

Denis Goekdag 20th March 2012 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tilman (Post 7689447)
but.....AAX is crucial for filmsound!!!

Yes, AAX and VST are the post formats. Can't say exactly *when*, but those formats will be supported this year, both on Mac and Windows :-)

TNM 20th March 2012 08:30 PM

For the job of just reverb removal, i wonder if it will do a better job than this which is highly regarded:

DyVision Reverb Remover ... VST audio plugin from DyVision Works

the problem is it's windows only, so whilst they get to remove reverb for 20 bux we have to pay 400 lol (us mac users i mean)

I wonder if you would consider doing a stripped down version say for 100 bux max that would be a simple two or three knob affair with just one thing in mind, removing reverb and that's it, not worry about the other functions, oh and of course a monitor button to see exactly what is being removed:)

Nevertheless it looks exciting..

Denis Goekdag 26th March 2012 10:26 AM

Hmm, well....I'm afraid that there really isn't a lot we can reduce feature-wise for an "LE" version....it's essentially one parameter (FOCUS, a crossfade between reverb-only<->original signal<->dry-onl<) plus some stuff to adapt the process to your signal and tweak the reverb "flavour".

But TBH --- when you need de-reverberation in a project, this pays for itself the first day or two. Just one scene that needs no dialog replacement and Bob's yer uncle.

acmusic 26th March 2012 10:48 AM

Hi Denis. Its Monday in LA....yingyang

Oliver.Lucas 26th March 2012 11:12 AM

If there was a VST version I'd be REALLY interested...

Denis Goekdag 26th March 2012 03:50 PM

It's also still Monday in Hannover :cool: We're finalizing the manual at the moment, everything else is ready to go....but we do like our users having a manual to get the most out of the software ;-)

VST & AAX coming up later, Mac and Win. I mean...this has got post-production written all over it and that's pretty much AAX and VST exclusively hooppie

-d

Denis Goekdag 26th March 2012 05:38 PM

It's OUT!

Trial version has been slightly delayed, though, so that'll probably be coming on-line tonight or early tomorrow morning. I'll let you know when it's there.

Oliver.Lucas 26th March 2012 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Denis Goekdag (Post 7710927)
I mean...this has got post-production written all over it and that's pretty much AAX and VST exclusively hooppie

-d

If this works well with dialog in Nuendo and Pro Tools I kind of see you selling a couple of units, man....kfhkh

But as you said, the market is not an AU market

tilman 26th March 2012 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oliver.Lucas (Post 7711386)
If this works well with dialog in Nuendo and Pro Tools I kind of see you selling a couple of units, man....kfhkh

But as you said, the market is not an AU market

+1 it is huge! (will demo tomorrow)

what I heard from the messe YouTube demos sounded really really promising!

acmusic 27th March 2012 12:37 AM

hurry, Denis :)
got a project we are hoping to demo it on right now (Mon 26th, 4:30pm) that's due 12 noon tomorrow

did an RSS feed from the demo page so here's hopingkfhkh

atb,
kjb

Don't even need to demo-the YouTubes blew us away. You guys are amazing and will report after use in a project that needs some Zynaptiq technology right now.

after use: Yes, its amazing. Could have cleaned the audio better any other way and took about a minute. It actually sounded better without any other EQ manipulation from any other plug (usually use a combo of Center, Ozone) other than some slight LF roll off filtering.
Really wonderful job, Denis & Co. Are there going to be any presets avail-maybe won't make sense w/ this kind of gear...

Denis Goekdag 27th March 2012 07:05 AM

Glad to hear that UNVEIL did the trick for you! Actually, I'm curious what project you are working on, but that may be a conversation for email as you're probably on NDA.

Presets...we did skip them for the first build as we figured that you'd really want to set parameters on a case-by-case basis in this type of application, but we've got several people inquiring about that.....so yes, I'm just launching Logic now to make some starting points. The cool thing about presets is that they help you learn the way that the parameters interact by providing examples. Also, they can give you ideas on how to (mis-)use the plug ;-)

One cool thing I've found: copy a track, put UNVEIL on both. Set one track to lose all the reverb (FOCUS = max), copy the setting to the other track and leave only the reverb (FOCUS = min, Transient Thresh = Max). Then you can simply put the dry in the L/R and the reverb in the rears....there's your stereo-to-quad up-mix with zero phasing, the two signals will add together without any issues as they are exactly complimentary.

acmusic 27th March 2012 08:16 AM

That's great, Denis. Will def. try that.
I'll check w/ the director regarding sending you an audio file fixed w/ Unveil.
Looking forward to starting point presets as well.
thanks again for a great save today!kfhkh

atb,
kjb

slackstallion 27th March 2012 08:26 AM

Very talented developer. Keep up the excellent work. I can see this being implemented into restoration suites.

Denis Goekdag 27th March 2012 08:13 PM

The demo is out!

Also v1.0.1: added presets, fixed some issues with 64-bit operation, fixed some issues with latency compensation not working in some cases.

Cheers,
Denis

acmusic 27th March 2012 08:17 PM

thanks, Deniskfhkh
Looking forward to trying out your spacial tip posted earlier, later today.
and thanks for working up some presets for starting points kfhkh

yoink 28th March 2012 01:50 AM

I was so excited when I saw the demo.

Not to be a party pooper... actually wait, I don't need to be because the demo does that for me.

Two or three "demo" pop-ups when Logic loads. Two or three more when the AU loads within Logic and every now and then (far more frequently than it should be) additional "demo" warnings - this in addition to the 10-minute usability of the demo. Plus an additional warning when you close and open the plug-in UI!

The 10-minute usability is fine. But why interrupt and already short evaluation period with more nagging?

It was impossible to evaluate without constant confrontation. I've demo'ed many higher-dollar plugins in my day (regularly do still) and none of them were as in-your-face about their demo status as this. It doesn't bode well for the plugin's usability if it has this much disdain for the user and the plugin's place in the creative process - even as an eval copy. Very few plugins interrupt user interaction with the host for so much nonsense, even in trial mode. It's arresting at best.

Talk about being excited to try something new and having the balloon popped by something so ridiculous!

It's an exceptionally promising product, with an exceptionally large (in my opinion only) launch-day foible. Thankfully, it's fixable. And when I can spend the 10 minutes with it I was promised (by the pop-ups no less!), without being punched in the face by even-more-demo-warning-pop-ups, I'll happily give it the whirl it deserves.

Denis Goekdag 28th March 2012 09:02 AM

Hey!

Actually, coming back to it, I agree, the nagging is over the top. We haven't been having a lot of sleep since September, so our perception of time is apparently somewhat off. We certainly don't mean to annoy people.

Let me look into that to get the nagging-marathon under control ;-)

The thing is....our demo is fully functional and it does not expire after 14 or 30 days. We figured you'd want to use it fully (and not limited to, say, mono, or one sample rate only), and expiration dates really only mean that you're gonna have to be *lucky* to find sufficient time to test the plug-in before it stops working --- personally, I'm typically even *reluctant* to start trial periods as most of the time some project will come up that keeps me too busy to test. Then the asset expires, get on the phone to get another one...nope, no good.

On the other hand if your demo doesn't expire, and is fully functional...well you can figure out the implications.

At any rate, hang on, we'll get that nagging tuned down, to say once on instantiation, and once every 5 minutes from there. Does that sound reasonable?

JSt0rm 28th March 2012 09:22 AM

Is it possible to output the removed verb only?

Denis Goekdag 28th March 2012 09:28 AM

Yes, absolutely. The parameter FOCUS is basically a cross-fader between reverb only (fully CCW), original signal (12:00) and de-reverberated only (fully CW).

This allows for some cool spatialization/up-mixing workflows.

yoink 28th March 2012 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Denis Goekdag (Post 7717790)
Hey!

Actually, coming back to it, I agree, the nagging is over the top. We haven't been having a lot of sleep since September, so our perception of time is apparently somewhat off. We certainly don't mean to annoy people.

Let me look into that to get the nagging-marathon under control ;-)

The thing is....our demo is fully functional and it does not expire after 14 or 30 days. We figured you'd want to use it fully (and not limited to, say, mono, or one sample rate only), and expiration dates really only mean that you're gonna have to be *lucky* to find sufficient time to test the plug-in before it stops working --- personally, I'm typically even *reluctant* to start trial periods as most of the time some project will come up that keeps me too busy to test. Then the asset expires, get on the phone to get another one...nope, no good.

On the other hand if your demo doesn't expire, and is fully functional...well you can figure out the implications.

At any rate, hang on, we'll get that nagging tuned down, to say once on instantiation, and once every 5 minutes from there. Does that sound reasonable?

Thanks Denis for your gracious response! Wishing you all the best and looking forward to round 2 with Unveil.

Jackie Moon 28th March 2012 03:49 PM

sounds like a must have for post-production work ! kfhkh

Marogru 29th March 2012 06:52 AM

Great, I will try it out today. I saw a demo on MM and I'm really impressed. I wonder how it will work with everyday field recording and I have some great thing to try it out:
I have a old woman singing in a small concrete room the the scene transforms in to a flight over a lake while she is singing. I need to "move" her out of the room over the lake with some huge long reverb but without the er form the room.

Denis Goekdag 29th March 2012 09:33 PM

I think that UNVEIL is probably going to be able to help you clean that up ;-)

BTW: we've found that there actually is a bug in the current demo build that causes the nag screens to display WAY more often than we coded them to in certain circumstances. What a bug-ger. Makes us look more paranoid than we actually already are ;-) I'm running a beta of the next demo build at this moment to check whether we've caught that, and will release ASAP. We've actually added some further stuff, like performance optimizations, a current sample rate display, a numeric read-out for the FOCUS BIAS sliders, etc...more details when the next build goes into the wild!

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.