New Reply
Subscribe
pmoon
2nd March 2012
Old 2nd March 2012
Gear nut

Lynx Hilo Now Available

This is from Phil at Lynx.

Whew - that took a while, but Hilo is now shipping. Let the opinion-fest begin.

Full details can be found on the Lynx Studio Technology website. A collection of Hilos have been shipped to dealers in the US this week and will start to hit Canada next week.

Basically here is what differentiates Hilo. First the audio quality is superb. The specs on our website are actual measured specs. In fact we needed to get a tweaked and customized Audio Precision device just to be able to check the specs. We look forward to hearing your comments about audio quality after you hear one.

Second, the user interface has been completely reworked and upgraded since our intro in May. Very intuitive and powerful. And since it is all controlled and monitored via the LCD touch screen, this user interface will evolve.

Third, Hilo functions as an AD and DA converter, headphone amp, monitor switcher and a handy tool for mastering, overdubbing, location recording (can run on a battery), archiving, even audiophile usage.

So give one a listen when you can. I'll be happy to answer any questions you might have.

Thanks,

Phil
pmoon
3rd March 2012
Old 3rd March 2012
Gear nut

USB and Hilo

Just had a question about USB.

Yes Hilo can be run from a DAW via USB. The LT-USB is built into Hilo, so you can bring in and send out 16 channels (8 stereo pairs) that can be routed in any combination to the analog and other digital inputs and outputs.

So for instance, you can have USB channels 1&2 going to headphones, 3&4 going to Monitor Outputs, 5&6 going to Line Outputs, 7&8 going to AES/EBU Out. And at the same time have Line IN and AES/EBU In going out to USB channels 1&2. Just an example - huge number of possible I/O setups.

I have been playing a lot of iTunes files, and Wave files (up to 192kHz) via USB, as well as FLAC files.

PM
6th March 2012
Old 6th March 2012
Lives for gear

Thanks Phil
Quote:
A collection of Hilos have been shipped to dealers in the US this week
Looking forward for the first owners reviews, it´s been a long time waiting for this.
6th March 2012
Old 6th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmoon View Post
Just had a question about USB.

Yes Hilo can be run from a DAW via USB. The LT-USB is built into Hilo, so you can bring in and send out 16 channels (8 stereo pairs) that can be routed in any combination to the analog and other digital inputs and outputs.

So for instance, you can have USB channels 1&2 going to headphones, 3&4 going to Monitor Outputs, 5&6 going to Line Outputs, 7&8 going to AES/EBU Out. And at the same time have Line IN and AES/EBU In going out to USB channels 1&2. Just an example - huge number of possible I/O setups.

I have been playing a lot of iTunes files, and Wave files (up to 192kHz) via USB, as well as FLAC files.

PM
Sweet.

I'm thinking if this scenario is possible:

USB Outs 1/2 from a DAW -> Line Outputs -> Outboard Analog Gear -> Line Inputs -> monitor those Line Inputs through the Monitor Output (or phones) -> record back the analog loop to the DAW through USB 1/2 Input (or through ADAT/SPDIF).

If this is possible, we have a neat, self-enclosed unit for mastering.

Does anyone knows about the pricing?
pmoon
6th March 2012
Old 6th March 2012
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by diogo_c View Post
Sweet.

I'm thinking if this scenario is possible:

USB Outs 1/2 from a DAW -> Line Outputs -> Outboard Analog Gear -> Line Inputs -> monitor those Line Inputs through the Monitor Output (or phones) -> record back the analog loop to the DAW through USB 1/2 Input (or through ADAT/SPDIF).

If this is possible, we have a neat, self-enclosed unit for mastering.

Does anyone knows about the pricing?
In a word,yes.

Let's go one step further. Use this scenario and save it to Scene 1. Then bring in a different mix on USB Out 3&4 - same routing, but save it to Scene 2. A third mix on 5&6, save on Scene 3. Then simply select the Recall Scenes 1,2,3 to compare your mixes. Pretty slick.

Retail is $2495.

Thanks,

Phil Moon
6th March 2012
Old 6th March 2012
Lives for gear

This is great news. Being able to have all the conversion needed for mastering with analog gear + monitoring in a single unit makes it a winner. I'm assuming that the conversion quality is at least on par with the (IMO great) Aurora...perhaps better?

Time to save money. I'll be in Germany in July - any retailers there?
6th March 2012
Old 6th March 2012
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

Is there a loud fan inside?
6th March 2012
Old 6th March 2012
Lives for gear

This looks impressive. The VU style meters are a nice touch.

The LCD display has great potential for converters (reminds me of a Halcro home theater processor). I'd like to see more converters designed this way.
pmoon
6th March 2012
Old 6th March 2012
Gear nut

Quote:
This is great news. Being able to have all the conversion needed for mastering with analog gear + monitoring in a single unit makes it a winner. I'm assuming that the conversion quality is at least on par with the (IMO great) Aurora...perhaps better?

Time to save money. I'll be in Germany in July - any retailers there?
Yes, Hilo will be available internationally in about 2 weeks.

The audio quality and specs were goal #1. From there we got creative with the feature set, I/O options and touch screen.

The specs are better than Aurora. Actual MEASURED specs (not preliminary or estimated). Two specs that jump out at you are -140 dB Crosstalk on the A/D Line in and +/-0.01 dB Frequency Response 20Hz-20kHz. That's 0.01, not 0.1. Flat as can be. Plus the THD+N is very low, consistent along the audible range.
pmoon
6th March 2012
Old 6th March 2012
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearNerd View Post
Is there a loud fan inside?
The fan is not loud because, like Aurora converters, Hilo does not have one.

As with the engineering on Aurora, we very carefully laid out the board and designed the chassis to handle heat management without a fan. Using a fan is the easy way out. And the loud way.

When you pick up Hilo, it weighs about 8 pounds. The chassis is solid - no "wiggle" to it. This is for hear management as well as stability and protection.

Good questions - keep 'em coming.
6th March 2012
Old 6th March 2012
Lives for gear

Looks like a winner. Better specs than the Aurora, noiseless, tons of routing options....
pmoon
6th March 2012
Old 6th March 2012
Gear nut

[QUOTE=pmoon;7640142]

When you pick up Hilo, it weighs about 8 pounds. The chassis is solid - no "wiggle" to it. This is for hear management as well as stability and protection.

/QUOTE]

The R is too close to T on the keyboard. I meant Heat management, not Hear management (although it does that as well),
6th March 2012
Old 6th March 2012

Quote:
The fan is not loud because, like Aurora converters, Hilo does not have one.

As with the engineering on Aurora, we very carefully laid out the board and designed the chassis to handle heat management without a fan. Using a fan is the easy way out. And the loud way.
Great!

Lynx 1 vs Apogee 0
7th March 2012
Old 7th March 2012

Hey Phil, while we've got you, here's touchscreen feature request #1:
how cool would it be to have a custom screensaver (eg a studio logo etc) displayed on the screen when the unit is in standby. Would this sort of thing be possible in future?

Jess
7th March 2012
Old 7th March 2012
Gear nut

Is the Lynx Hilo comparable in converter quality to the much more expensive Antelope Audio Eclipse 384? Which AD/DA chips are being used in the Hilo?
8th March 2012
Old 8th March 2012
Gear nut

Wondering if there are any plans for USB3 cards for Lynx products. Latency is lower for virtual instruments and playback. Also, 10X the throughput and won't drain your laptop battery when idling like USB2.

Also, wondering about the anti-aliasing filter. Is this a Lynx design or licensed from Izotope?
pmoon
9th March 2012
Old 9th March 2012
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezzta667 View Post
Hey Phil, while we've got you, here's touchscreen feature request #1:
how cool would it be to have a custom screensaver (eg a studio logo etc) displayed on the screen when the unit is in standby. Would this sort of thing be possible in future?

Jess
This one is already on the wish list. Very possible - after all, we got our logo on there, didn't we?
pmoon
9th March 2012
Old 9th March 2012
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skriabin View Post
Is the Lynx Hilo comparable in converter quality to the much more expensive Antelope Audio Eclipse 384? Which AD/DA chips are being used in the Hilo?
I think the first one is a question back to you folks. I've been listening to Hilo for a while now and, while I do not have golden ears, it's the best I have ever hear. Antelope makes good stuff, so I'm sure this will also be a nice piece. Both units have a lot of I/O for a 2 channel unit, but in my brief look at comparing the two, a couple of points stand out.

First, with Hilo, any stereo pair can be easily routed to any or all analog and digital outputs. I don't even want to do the math on the number of combinations.

Second, all of the I/O in the world is no good to you if you can't control it. Hilo's touch screen is, in two words, a game changer (or is that three words?). Having all of the I/O visually represented on the screen with an innovative, easy to use operating system makes all the difference. And the control is there anytime with or without a computer.

What chips are we using? Really, really good ones. What is truly important is what goes on before and after the converter chip sets. We analyzed all of the available chips and went with the ones that offer the best overall noise and frequency response at all sample rates. I think you'll see a white paper from us down the road on this. Then our design team took our Aurora design as a starting point and kicked it up. All of the specs in Hilo are better than in Aurora, and those were quite good.

The end result is a converter that sounds really, really good, has great specs and then adds features like the touch screen to make it a better tool for you.

Keep the questions coming.

Phil Moon
pmoon
9th March 2012
Old 9th March 2012
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex.T View Post
Wondering if there are any plans for USB3 cards for Lynx products. Latency is lower for virtual instruments and playback. Also, 10X the throughput and won't drain your laptop battery when idling like USB2.

Also, wondering about the anti-aliasing filter. Is this a Lynx design or licensed from Izotope?

All of our efforts right now are in wrapping up Hilo adding some of the new features that you want to see. We are always looking at new and more powerful connectivity options. There's a lot going on out there now and we're keeping our eyes on USB 3.0 and some other interesting options. Nothing to announce now.

The lowest latency that we offer now is to use the AES16 or AES16e audio card. Can be as low as under a millisecond in an optimum system. If you want information on this, contact us offline and we'll answer any questions you might have.

All of the filters, circuitry design, word clock, etc, are Lynx proprietary designs.

Thanks,

Phil
9th March 2012
Old 9th March 2012

Guyz sorry for my ignorance , but is usable as an audio interface ? if yes what can we expect as the minmum round trip latency reported ?
9th March 2012
Old 9th March 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeezo View Post
Guyz sorry for my ignorance , but is usable as an audio interface ? if yes what can we expect as the minmum round trip latency reported ?
The Hilo has no preamps in it. I'd say that's the only thing that makes it not an "audio interface" as such.
9th March 2012
Old 9th March 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
All of our efforts right now are in wrapping up Hilo adding some of the new features that you want to see.
Phil
I'd love to see the FPGA used to include a digital crossover for the multiple outputs.

Sean
9th March 2012
Old 9th March 2012
Banned

Does no one else see these problems with this unit..

1. It is billed as a mastering unit...any ME I know has at least a Lavry...which I don't think this two channel will replace...so there's the first thing...it's not really a real mastering tool is it?

2. Since it is not a real mastering tool...it does;t have any preamps...for the home user????...ummm

3.It's priced to compete with the UFX and the mythical Apollo, however the feature set id laughable in comparison to either...even though the Apollo doeesn;t exist yet.

so..if serious mastering guys probably won;t give up their for sells, Lavry, Weisses atec for this thing...and it doesn'y have attractive enough features of those of us on a budget, then what purpose does this thing serve really?

A good 2 ch converter for 2500 to print mixes through a stereo chain...you can do the with a UFX and have 4 pres...and 8 channels conversion more than this thing

Wow...a lot of hullabaloo about nothing really...i don;t get this piece at all...it is doing nothing that other pieces can't already accomplish...and Aurora conversion isn't noted as stellar...maybe this conversion is better probably...but better than a 2192, Lavry...well you get the point.
9th March 2012
Old 9th March 2012
Lives for gear

Selling lynx aurora 8

Sent from my PC36100 using Gearslutz App
9th March 2012
Old 9th March 2012
Lives for gear

Phil,

When in VU meter mode, can the meter be calibrated to different specs?
I always switch my VU between CD consumer level when mixing/mastering and when recording.

Thanks.
9th March 2012
Old 9th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleBubba View Post
Does no one else see these problems with this unit..

1. It is billed as a mastering unit...any ME I know has at least a Lavry...which I don't think this two channel will replace...so there's the first thing...it's not really a real mastering tool is it?

2. Since it is not a real mastering tool...it does;t have any preamps...for the home user????...ummm

3.It's priced to compete with the UFX and the mythical Apollo, however the feature set id laughable in comparison to either...even though the Apollo doeesn;t exist yet.

so..if serious mastering guys probably won;t give up their for sells, Lavry, Weisses atec for this thing...and it doesn'y have attractive enough features of those of us on a budget, then what purpose does this thing serve really?

A good 2 ch converter for 2500 to print mixes through a stereo chain...you can do the with a UFX and have 4 pres...and 8 channels conversion more than this thing

Wow...a lot of hullabaloo about nothing really...i don;t get this piece at all...it is doing nothing that other pieces can't already accomplish...and Aurora conversion isn't noted as stellar...maybe this conversion is better probably...but better than a 2192, Lavry...well you get the point.
1 - Better specs than Aurora, which is widely used for mastering makes the Hilo very "appropiate for mastering".

2 - See above. Nonetheless, seems like you're just trolling.

3 - Laughable feature set? Have you looked the I/O options and the internal mixer?

So you're saying the Hilo is pricey....Lavry Black AD + DA = 2500. The same price as the Hilo, which has a much more features.

So yeah, you're basically trolling this thread.
9th March 2012
Old 9th March 2012
Banned

perhaps I'm not getting something about this piece that is obvious...just seems like there are better solutions in this price range.
9th March 2012
Old 9th March 2012
Banned

Quote:
1 - Better specs than Aurora, which is widely used for mastering makes the Hilo very "appropiate for mastering".

2 - See above. Nonetheless, seems like you're just trolling.

3 - Laughable feature set? Have you looked the I/O options and the internal mixer?

So you're saying the Hilo is pricey....Lavry Black AD + DA = 2500. The same price as the Hilo, which has a much more features.

So yeah, you're basically trolling this thread.
Why because I can see a few issues with this piece?

I don't think so.

Every interface has and internal mixer...this is not something new...Total mix..cuemix etc etc etc...so yes...unless it is a special kind of internal mixer then yes, it is not something that sets it apart.

I don't know if it's pricey...I'm just saying that in this range, this isn't what folks are looking for...serious mastering guys are using Prism, Lavry, Forsell...etc...I'm afraid you'll be hard pressed to get those guys to trade those in for a lynx.

....but you never know...perhaps those that have the unit could weigh in on how it sounds...maybe a couple of serious mastering guys that have demoed the unit can tell us?
pmoon
9th March 2012
Old 9th March 2012
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezzta667 View Post
The Hilo has no preamps in it. I'd say that's the only thing that makes it not an "audio interface" as such.
Correct - no mic preamps included. Line level analog, AES/EBU. S/PDIF coax and optical, ADAT and USB I/O.
pmoon
9th March 2012
Old 9th March 2012
Gear nut

I'd love to see the FPGA used to include a digital crossover for the multiple outputs.

Sean

Sean, We'll put that in the Wish Hopper. Certainly doable.

Thanks,

Phil
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search