New Reply
Subscribe
pmoon
9th March 2012
Old 9th March 2012
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleBubba View Post
Does no one else see these problems with this unit..

1. It is billed as a mastering unit...any ME I know has at least a Lavry...which I don't think this two channel will replace...so there's the first thing...it's not really a real mastering tool is it?

2. Since it is not a real mastering tool...it does;t have any preamps...for the home user????...ummm

3.It's priced to compete with the UFX and the mythical Apollo, however the feature set id laughable in comparison to either...even though the Apollo doeesn;t exist yet.

so..if serious mastering guys probably won;t give up their for sells, Lavry, Weisses atec for this thing...and it doesn'y have attractive enough features of those of us on a budget, then what purpose does this thing serve really?

A good 2 ch converter for 2500 to print mixes through a stereo chain...you can do the with a UFX and have 4 pres...and 8 channels conversion more than this thing

Wow...a lot of hullabaloo about nothing really...i don;t get this piece at all...it is doing nothing that other pieces can't already accomplish...and Aurora conversion isn't noted as stellar...maybe this conversion is better probably...but better than a 2192, Lavry...well you get the point.
A few answers for you. These are good questions. Hilo is a different animal and it's not easy to "get it" just based on descriptions, pictures.

One thing I do ask - keep an open mind until you at least see it and hear it in person.

Answers:
1. Just because someone owns a Lavry does not make Hilo not a mastering tool. Of course it is a mastering tool. One that you can run an analog signal processing chain though, monitor it and feed it out to multiple recorders. I believe that is one definition of mastering.

2. Covered in #1. And yes, it is also for home and audiophile users. Thanks for pointing this out.

3. Let's just say the feature set is different. Don't discount the added value, and versatility that the touch screen brings to Hilo. This is not an inexpensive or easy thing to add. If it was it would have been done by more people. You might also want to compare the specs between these units. Apples and oranges. A person could very well own Hilo along with one of these and be very happy.

Obviously this piece or Lynx in general is not your cup of tea. Hilo does do some things that other products cannot do. For instance, Lavry makes great products, but if you want 192 kHz, you're out of luck.

I am very happy to answer any other questions you might have. And if you're in the LA area, I'd like to arrange to meet up with you to let you hear Hilo and compare it side by side with your gear.

Thanks,

Phil Moon
pmoon
9th March 2012
Old 9th March 2012
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbjp View Post
Phil,

When in VU meter mode, can the meter be calibrated to different specs?
I always switch my VU between CD consumer level when mixing/mastering and when recording.

Thanks.
Yes - future feature.

This request is already in the hopper. One of the unique features of Hilo is the updateable nature of the product and, since it has the touch LCD, we are not limited to a set number of buttons. So we will have ballistics for the VU and horizontal meter in the future.

Phil Moon
9th March 2012
Old 9th March 2012
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmoon View Post
A few answers for you. These are good questions. Hilo is a different animal and it's not easy to "get it" just based on descriptions, pictures.

One thing I do ask - keep an open mind until you at least see it and hear it in person.

Answers:
1. Just because someone owns a Lavry does not make Hilo not a mastering tool. Of course it is a mastering tool. One that you can run an analog signal processing chain though, monitor it and feed it out to multiple recorders. I believe that is one definition of mastering.

2. Covered in #1. And yes, it is also for home and audiophile users. Thanks for pointing this out.

3. Let's just say the feature set is different. Don't discount the added value, and versatility that the touch screen brings to Hilo. This is not an inexpensive or easy thing to add. If it was it would have been done by more people. You might also want to compare the specs between these units. Apples and oranges. A person could very well own Hilo along with one of these and be very happy.

Obviously this piece or Lynx in general is not your cup of tea. Hilo does do some things that other products cannot do. For instance, Lavry makes great products, but if you want 192 kHz, you're out of luck.

I am very happy to answer any other questions you might have. And if you're in the LA area, I'd like to arrange to meet up with you to let you hear Hilo and compare it side by side with your gear.

Thanks,

Phil Moon
Wow..nice offer..I am not in the LA area or most definitely would.

Lynx makes perfectly fine gear in my opinion..I'm just trying to understand why this one would be worth a look..

It seems like it comes down to how it sounds...so aside from the very generous offer from Phil...anyone using care to comment on the sound of the unit.
10th March 2012
Old 10th March 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
I'd love to see the FPGA used to include a digital crossover for the multiple outputs.

Sean

Sean, We'll put that in the Wish Hopper. Certainly doable.

Thanks,

Phil
Great - that would make it a no brainer for me, allow me to replace my existing crossover. I'm guessing a lot of people with subs would find that feature very attractive. Straight from converter to amplifiers - nice!

Sean
10th March 2012
Old 10th March 2012
Banned

Ok.
10th March 2012
Old 10th March 2012
Lives for gear

Yup, guys, let's keep it on topic. Very interested in the product.
I think moaning about the price is against forum policy.
10th March 2012
Old 10th March 2012
Gear addict

It's Shipping now. Should get first user reviews anytime now.
11th March 2012
Old 11th March 2012
Gear nut

Is there a picture available of the inside/interior of the Lynx Hilo??
11th March 2012
Old 11th March 2012

UncleBubba will be taking a break from this thread, please carry on...
11th March 2012
Old 11th March 2012
Lives for gear

So there still does not appear to be a separate DA out for monitoring apart from headphones?

If this is the case it would be a real shame and I feel Lynx has missed a golden opportunity to make a dedicated mastering converter for $2.5K
11th March 2012
Old 11th March 2012
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Farrant View Post
UncleBubba will be taking a break from this thread, please carry on...
Thank you.
11th March 2012
Old 11th March 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben F View Post
So there still does not appear to be a separate DA out for monitoring apart from headphones?

If this is the case it would be a real shame and I feel Lynx has missed a golden opportunity to make a dedicated mastering converter for $2.5K
There is, mate. It has Line Out, Monitor Out and Headphone Out, all with their own DACs. That's what you mean, yeah?
11th March 2012
Old 11th March 2012

My Hilo is in Sydney! So I should get it tomorrow! I'll let you guys know how it sounds.
11th March 2012
Old 11th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezzta667 View Post
My Hilo is in Sydney! So I should get it tomorrow! I'll let you guys know how it sounds.
Looking forward to it!
More importantly do let us know about its functionality.
11th March 2012
Old 11th March 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
Can't wait.
12th March 2012
Old 12th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
There is, mate. It has Line Out, Monitor Out and Headphone Out, all with their own DACs. That's what you mean, yeah?
Yes, so you can monitor separately from the DA>AD chain

Keen to hear your opinion!
12th March 2012
Old 12th March 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
Yes, so you can monitor separately from the DA>AD chain

Keen to hear your opinion!
yep, I'd also be keen to know how this works in normal mastering workflows

But I've got a good DAC which can presumably hang off the AES out (and/or another on the SPDIF). So quite a few options, it seems to me.

The "seal the deal" feature would be good digital crossover filters - this would provide simple but effective loudspeaker management which would sufficiently meet my modest needs (2 x mains, 2 x subs)

Sean
12th March 2012
Old 12th March 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by diggo View Post
yep, I'd also be keen to know how this works in normal mastering workflows

But I've got a good DAC which can presumably hang off the AES out (and/or another on the SPDIF). So quite a few options, it seems to me.

The "seal the deal" feature would be good digital crossover filters - this would provide simple but effective loudspeaker management which would sufficiently meet my modest needs (2 x mains, 2 x subs)

Sean
I spose if u were using a DAW you could put a crossover filter on a master buss then split to two stereo channels:
Highs>USB 1&2 > Mon out L&R
Lows> USB 3&4 > Line out L&R

Yes yes?
12th March 2012
Old 12th March 2012
Lives for gear

Take the idea further 16x32 d connectors, always seems like no one can make a fully functional ad/da with a monitor section, you would think this would all be so obvious.

Sent from my PC36100 using Gearslutz App

The mix is ALLLLLLLLLLMOSSSTTTT 'perfect'.
14th March 2012
Old 14th March 2012
Gear nut

Quote:
Did you receive the Lynx Hilo? How does it sound and operate?
14th March 2012
Old 14th March 2012
Gear interested

I DO "get" this unit... and WILL get it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleBubba View Post
Does no one else see these problems with this unit..

1. It is billed as a mastering unit...any ME I know has at least a Lavry...which I don't think this two channel will replace...so there's the first thing...it's not really a real mastering tool is it?

Wow...a lot of hullabaloo about nothing really...i don;t get this piece at all...it is doing nothing that other pieces can't already accomplish...and .
Yeah... if you are already mastering engineer with a mastering backbone and have great converters... this MIGHT not be the box for you.... but, if like me... you are a home project studio owner who has slowly graduated from ADAT converters....to MOTUs....to Apogees.... this unit is looks very attractive.

And as for it's functionality.... I GET IT!..... as soon as i saw the back panel, i knew it might be what i've been waiting for... and then i read the manual and i LEARNED what it could really do. (something anybody should do before posting mis-information about a unit). So yes, this unit should be perfect for me at this point in time. I am an audiophile, home recordist, mixer, and wannabe mastering engineer..... And the Hilo is a great looking product... Yeah, look and feel matters to me too. I have to enjoy looking at and interacting with a piece of gear. That's part of the experience for me, and I'm tired of the abysmal meters on my Apogee Ensemble! (i actually miss the meters on my old blackface ADAT!).

So i just ordered a Hilo from Sound Pure yesterday, and i'm told i'll get the next one he recieves. (i wonder if it will be black or white) I also feel good about buying a U.S. made product.... i just wonder how much of it is made here? Everything... or just final assembly?
pmoon
14th March 2012
Old 14th March 2012
Gear nut

Good advice there. The Back Panel is a good source to look at to pretty much see the I/O structure. I will put a flow diagram up on the website later today for added clarity.

We have also put up a lot of user specific Technical notes, showing specific uses for Hilo with simple diagrams and explanations. Everything from Mastering with outboard analog signal processing to fun stuff like using it to listen to music from the various iBoxes (Tunes, Pad, Pod, Phone). I just hooked it directly into my iPad this morning and played some FLAC files.

Also our UK distributor HHB put up an excellent video on YouTube of our support guru Paul Erlandson, giving the low down on Hilo. Very nice presentation and Paul does not look jet lagged at all! It's at Introducing the Lynx Hilo: their finest sounding audio interface yet. - YouTube.

Good questions in this thread. We appreciate your interest and thoughts.

Phil Moon
pmoon
14th March 2012
Old 14th March 2012
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirolab1 View Post
(i wonder if it will be black or white) I also feel good about buying a U.S. made product.... i just wonder how much of it is made here? Everything... or just final assembly?
I don't expect we will release the black face unit for about another two months. Trust me they sound the same (although I am sure that at some point in the future there will be a thread debating that).

Hilo is built here in California. As with any piece of electronics, nothing is completely US sourced and based, but Hilo and all Lynx converters and cares are manufactured, tested right here in So Cal. And designed in California and Idaho.

Phil Moon
15th March 2012
Old 15th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Good advice there. The Back Panel is a good source to look at to pretty much see the I/O structure. I will put a flow diagram up on the website later today for added clarity.

We have also put up a lot of user specific Technical notes, showing specific uses for Hilo with simple diagrams and explanations. Everything from Mastering with outboard analog signal processing to fun stuff like using it to listen to music from the various iBoxes (Tunes, Pad, Pod, Phone). I just hooked it directly into my iPad this morning and played some FLAC files.

Also our UK distributor HHB put up an excellent video on YouTube of our support guru Paul Erlandson, giving the low down on Hilo. Very nice presentation and Paul does not look jet lagged at all! It's at Introducing the Lynx Hilo: their finest sounding audio interface yet. - YouTube.

Good questions in this thread. We appreciate your interest and thoughts.

Phil Moon
So it does have a separate DAC for the monitor outs?

I'm confused as your website says that it only has a separate DAC for headphones, yet the technical pdf on mastering says that you can use the monitor outs. Seeking clarification.
15th March 2012
Old 15th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
So it does have a separate DAC for the monitor outs?

I'm confused as your website says that it only has a separate DAC for headphones, yet the technical pdf on mastering says that you can use the monitor outs. Seeking clarification.
I think that's been covered here in my question and here in pmoon's answer.

We didn't specifically talked about separate DACs, so further clarification would be great.
pmoon
15th March 2012
Old 15th March 2012
Gear nut

Okay - clarification on the DAC side.

3 independent DACs at work...

Line Out L&R. Each of these mono Line Outs uses a stereo DAC.This allows for extremely good specs on these outputs. For instance, using dual DACs on one output decreases the noise by 3 dB. We used the same design on the AD on the Line Ins. Eight trim options available for each (4 pro and 4 consumer) selectable on the Home page.

Monitor Out L&R. Independent DACs. The monitor outputs can have a completely different mix of inputs (with each input to each output having a unique level). Can control the overall volume using the knob on the front.

So you can play completely different audio out of the Line Outs as the Monitor Outs.

The Headphone section has the third set of DA converters. Again a completely unique mix can be set up for the headphones and volume level is controlled by the knob.

One other feature of the Monitor output is that we have an internal jumper with a 14dB attenuation. You can remove the jumper to get 14dB more gain out of the Monitor Outputs. This is accessed by removing a panel on the bottom of Hilo (the same place you need to go for the trim pots on the Line IN and OUT channels).

Hope this better explains the DA side.

Keep the questions coming - all good.

Phil Moon
15th March 2012
Old 15th March 2012
Gear addict

Is the volume control of the monitor outputs analog? As in, after its dedicated DAC?

Es ist nicht kaputt, es klingt nur so.
pmoon
15th March 2012
Old 15th March 2012
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrraaalllfff View Post
Is the volume control of the monitor outputs analog? As in, after its dedicated DAC?
Yes. This provides optimum performance in most cases.

But wait, there is more.

You can also control, if you choose, to lower the level digitally prior to the DAC. While this might bring in more noise, it could be useful. Say for instance that you are sending too many channels at too high of a level to the monitor. You can choose to lower the overall level going into the DAC. You would be better off adjusting levels before this, but this flexibility is available.

Phil Moon
16th March 2012
Old 16th March 2012
Gear addict

Thank you Phil. Good to have you here answering questions. This box does indeed seem to fill some gaps. Due to all of the routing flexibility, will there be a tiny bit of latency if used as a simple AD/DA? As in, analog in, AES out to other sound card, and AES of sound card back into AES of Hilo.... (like a rosetta). I understand the box goes way beyond this, but do want to know what's up with the possible latency since it's got so many channels and routing options internally (not talking about the usb connection tho... i know and understand that latency is present here and depends on many factors outside of Hilo). Is it all instant internally? Thanks again.
pmoon
16th March 2012
Old 16th March 2012
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrraaalllfff View Post
Thank you Phil. Good to have you here answering questions. This box does indeed seem to fill some gaps. Due to all of the routing flexibility, will there be a tiny bit of latency if used as a simple AD/DA? As in, analog in, AES out to other sound card, and AES of sound card back into AES of Hilo.... (like a rosetta). I understand the box goes way beyond this, but do want to know what's up with the possible latency since it's got so many channels and routing options internally (not talking about the usb connection tho... i know and understand that latency is present here and depends on many factors outside of Hilo). Is it all instant internally? Thanks again.
Pretty much instant. The routing is all inside the box. Any latency would be external, due to USB or other computer connectivity, plug ins issues, etc.

Thanks,

Phil
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search