Login / Register

Lynx Hilo Now Available
New Reply
Subscribe
31st May 2012
Old 31st May 2012
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quint View Post
I know the Hilo is intended to be more of a desktop unit but is there going to be any kind of rackmount kit offered for it?
I asked this question on the Lynx forum back on the 3rd of December so it may be out of date but this is the response I got:

"Mid-Atlantic has a rack shelf that should work. The Hilo is designed so you can take off the feet and screw it into the rack shelf. It is exactly 2U high and 1/2 rack wide, so you can put two 1/2 rack devices next to each other."

When I first got the Hilo, I placed it on top of my preamps in my rack which is down and to my left. I found it extremely annoying trying to use the touchscreen like this. You should really try to get it up close to your eyeline and within easy reach.
31st May 2012
Old 31st May 2012

I just received a pair of Sennheiser HD 800's and have been listening through the Hilo for the last week or so. In stock form, the HD 800's sound very good through the Hilo but their well documented sibilance was quite noticable and a fair bit on the grating side at loudish volumes. The soundstage was fairly well defined but not what I had hoped for from such expensive headphones. I took note of all of this as I was always planning on doing the Anaxilus mod which is well proven to make a big improvement to the HD 800's.

Those interested can go here:

DIY Modification for the Sennheiser HD 800: "The Anaxilus Mod" | InnerFidelity

After I added the mod, the improvement was instantly noticeable. The soundstage was much more defined and the space of the recording was much more apparent. The reduction in sibilance was fantastic as it is now very rare to feel any discomfort even at high volumes. In fact, I am now slightly paranoid about sending myself deaf as listening at louder than safe volumes causes no discomfort whatsoever, a testament to a very low distortion headphone paired with a very low distortion amp.

I recently listened to this binaural recording that I remembered from a few years ago:

QSound Labs: Virtual Barber Shop (Long) -- Binaural Audio Demo

It was late at night when everyone was asleep and as it began, I instantly panicked thinking that I had left my speakers on as the sound of the original space was so clear and realistic. It was as if the headphones were not on my head and I was hearing the sound as it was in the room. This is a cool little binaural demo which sounds pretty cool on any decent headphones but the way it makes the HD 800's disappear through the Hilo is most impressive.

A fairly agreed upon consensus (apart from cable atheists) is that the stock cable on the HD 800 is not up to par with the headphones themselves so I have ordered an upgrade cable. I'll reserve my full impressions of the Hilo/HD 800 pairing until after I have tried it as I can still hear room for improvement. Having said that, however, music is sounding very impressive and beautiful at the moment and I could easily spend hours listening through entire albums (if I had the time!). At present, I would say that vocal accuracy does not quite have the realism that I would like but hopefully that will improve with the new cable.

I'll report back in a few weeks when my Hilo headphone system is almost at it's peak.
31st May 2012
Old 31st May 2012
Sound Obsession

Quote:
Originally Posted by nms View Post
I take it you've not been over to The Ultimate Converter DA/AD Loopback Shootout Thread!

If you want to listen to something run through a Hilo loopback just take whatever song you want and listen to it. That's what it'll sound like after a loopback.
nms yeah I visited that thread 2 weeks ago and saw the hilo's papers.

yeah on paper it looks great, but I couldn't find the audio test files.
sorry, my life experience led me to trust my ears only.

I your'e right about hilo, then I am a very very happy man.

is there a way I could download the hilo's tests and hear for myself ??

Thanks!!
31st May 2012
Old 31st May 2012
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilly7 View Post
nice!
p.s. i see u have a clipping on mic, that is not good
Yeah, it´s the always-on talkback mic, which clips at high sound levels in the room. Yesterday I had high sound levels
31st May 2012
Old 31st May 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezzta668 View Post
I just received a pair of Sennheiser HD 800's and have been listening through the Hilo for the last week or so. In stock form, the HD 800's sound very good through the Hilo but their well documented sibilance was quite noticable and a fair bit on the grating side at loudish volumes. The soundstage was fairly well defined but not what I had hoped for from such expensive headphones. I took note of all of this as I was always planning on doing the Anaxilus mod which is well proven to make a big improvement to the HD 800's.

Those interested can go here:

DIY Modification for the Sennheiser HD 800: "The Anaxilus Mod" | InnerFidelity

After I added the mod, the improvement was instantly noticeable. The soundstage was much more defined and the space of the recording was much more apparent. The reduction in sibilance was fantastic as it is now very rare to feel any discomfort even at high volumes. In fact, I am now slightly paranoid about sending myself deaf as listening at louder than safe volumes causes no discomfort whatsoever, a testament to a very low distortion headphone paired with a very low distortion amp.

I recently listened to this binaural recording that I remembered from a few years ago:

QSound Labs: Virtual Barber Shop (Long) -- Binaural Audio Demo

It was late at night when everyone was asleep and as it began, I instantly panicked thinking that I had left my speakers on as the sound of the original space was so clear and realistic. It was as if the headphones were not on my head and I was hearing the sound as it was in the room. This is a cool little binaural demo which sounds pretty cool on any decent headphones but the way it makes the HD 800's disappear through the Hilo is most impressive.

A fairly agreed upon consensus (apart from cable atheists) is that the stock cable on the HD 800 is not up to par with the headphones themselves so I have ordered an upgrade cable. I'll reserve my full impressions of the Hilo/HD 800 pairing until after I have tried it as I can still hear room for improvement. Having said that, however, music is sounding very impressive and beautiful at the moment and I could easily spend hours listening through entire albums (if I had the time!). At present, I would say that vocal accuracy does not quite have the realism that I would like but hopefully that will improve with the new cable.

I'll report back in a few weeks when my Hilo headphone system is almost at it's peak.
cool, i am happy u liked u new HD800 with a Hilo

one thing about Sennheizers HD800 i will repeat again, that they really depend of the source material so if u listen to a poor recording thay sound bad and if u listen to a good recording then thouse headhpones will shine

but i really like their natural sound

p.s. thank u for the mod link, i newer knew about that, but as i seid it might not be the problem with a headpones itself but with a particular recording because most headpones just hide all flows but good headpones whould show sound as it is....
so probably thouse modifications are not for me.

But what cable are u tolking about? what cable did u get for Sennheizers HD800?

Thank u
31st May 2012
Old 31st May 2012
Gear nut

Sorry, slightly off topic: this thread is about the Hilo, not the HD800
1st June 2012
Old 1st June 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbuchholtz View Post
Sorry, slightly off topic: this thread is about the Hilo, not the HD800
With studio monitors u have a wide selection of high quality studio monitors but with headpones u have very bad sititation because most of them sound complitely unnatural.

p.s.
I think Sennheizers HD800 is the only headpones that truly can show the sound quality of Hilo headphone preamp. that is true
and seens Hilo is probably one of fwe audionterfaces which feature a high quality headpone preamp it is good to know a good headpones to it
1st June 2012
Old 1st June 2012

Send a message via MSN to Rev. Eslam Send a message via Yahoo to Rev. Eslam
Yes, the headphone posts may be rather off-topic but since I'm considering both the Hilo and HD 800 I appreciate the comments.
1st June 2012
Old 1st June 2012

Trying to keep the HD 800 comments on topic in regard to the Hilo. In the audiophile world, there is much agonizing about pairing the HD800s with an amp that will tame their hot treble (tube amps etc). Because the Hilo is very transparent, I think that anyone buying it and the HD 800s might find the treble a tad pointy. So, in trying to keep us on topic whilst discussing another product, I would suggest to people that if they find their rather expensive combo of Hilo+HD800 not what they were hoping, there is still hope as I've found the mod to be a major improvement making this pairing a very good one.
1st June 2012
Old 1st June 2012

Quote:
cool, i am happy u liked u new HD800 with a Hilo

one thing about Sennheizers HD800 i will repeat again, that they really depend of the source material so if u listen to a poor recording thay sound bad and if u listen to a good recording then thouse headhpones will shine

but i really like their natural sound

p.s. thank u for the mod link, i newer knew about that, but as i seid it might not be the problem with a headpones itself but with a particular recording because most headpones just hide all flows but good headpones whould show sound as it is....
so probably thouse modifications are not for me.

But what cable are u tolking about? what cable did u get for Sennheizers HD800?

Thank u
I use very high quality recordings as a reference. I, like many others, find that the sibilance is a tad harsh with the HD 800s. If you're happy with the stock sound then great! No mod is needed. Having said that, however, it is quite easy to do and is totally reversible and deals with an obvious deficiency in the physical design of the HD800s (reflections off the steel ring within the ear cup). I found it extremely worthwhile.

In regards to the cable, there are plenty of aftermarket cables available. I ordered one from Charleston Cable Company on eBay but until I get it and try it I can't comment. If you do start looking into it, bare in mind that it is a highly contentious issue. Some people will swear that cables make a big difference whilst others will dismiss it as total hokum. It's quite bizarre how divided people are about it. But that's a discussion for another thread...
1st June 2012
Old 1st June 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
I use very high quality recordings as a reference. I, like many others, find that the sibilance is a tad harsh with the HD 800s. If you're happy with the stock sound then great! No mod is needed. Having said that, however, it is quite easy to do and is totally reversible and deals with an obvious deficiency in the physical design of the HD800s (reflections off the steel ring within the ear cup). I found it extremely worthwhile.

In regards to the cable, there are plenty of aftermarket cables available. I ordered one from Charleston Cable Company on eBay but until I get it and try it I can't comment. If you do start looking into it, bare in mind that it is a highly contentious issue. Some people will swear that cables make a big difference whilst others will dismiss it as total hokum. It's quite bizarre how divided people are about it. But that's a discussion for another thread...
ok thank you
i have heared that HD800 can be pluged directly to the balanced line outputs, the only what u need a different cabel.
But let me us know how ur cable will sound with Hilo vs stock one

sorry for off topic
1st June 2012
Old 1st June 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Eslam View Post
Yes, the headphone posts may be rather off-topic but since I'm considering both the Hilo and HD 800 I appreciate the comments.
1st June 2012
Old 1st June 2012
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Eslam View Post
If you're considering the Hilo, you might also want to check this out:
Apogee Symphony I/O Modules > Apogee Electronics
The New 2x4 Analog I/O Module for Symphony I/O from Apogee | BH inDepth
That puts a 2 channel Symphony at roughly the same price as a Hilo, with the added flexibility of an extra module bay to add I/O later, especially cool if one can drop 2 2x4 modules in.
My reservations about the Hilo are:
-Locking in to 2 channels only.
-Whether it's aimed as much or more at mastering engineers and audiophiles than at musicians.
It's one thing for me to go way over budget for killer conversion, sacrificing some I/O to get it, another thing altogether to pay for wonderful features that may be cool to have, but that I don't really need.
Quote:
Trying to keep the HD 800 comments on topic in regard to the Hilo. In the audiophile world, there is much agonizing about pairing the HD800s with an amp that will tame their hot treble (tube amps etc). Because the Hilo is very transparent, I think that anyone buying it and the HD 800s might find the treble a tad pointy. So, in trying to keep us on topic whilst discussing another product, I would suggest to people that if they find their rather expensive combo of Hilo+HD800 not what they were hoping, there is still hope as I've found the mod to be a major improvement making this pairing a very good one.
Since the Hilo claims a "world class" headphone amp as one of its key features, discussing which headphones to pair with it isn't that far off topic.
Which is my excuse for the following…
I'm a long time fan of Sennheiser headphones. Used to be able to get ones like the HD265's and HD570's for about 1/2 off refurbished and shipped free direct from Sennheiser. Good, but not great stuff at excellent prices. And if you've ever had headphones go bad because of a scratchy plug, no problem, switch the cable out cheap. My question is why get a so-called reference product like the HD800 if it has a known user issue with its sound that might require one to purchase a modification for it? That kind of money, I have to be floored right out of the box. Just saying.
2nd June 2012
Old 2nd June 2012
Lives for gear

Just got my Lynx Hilo. Sounds Phenomenal. A/B ing on my AVID omni IO, Digi 192 and Apogee PSX-100 (for s(&*^& and grins)

Everything matched within .1 db

Stereo imaging is amazing... Depth feels WAY better than my Avid Omni. I'm super impressed.

Lynx needs to make an 8ch version of this and I'll replace all My IO with it.
Producer / Mixer / Engineer
2nd June 2012
Old 2nd June 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathanz View Post
My question is why get a so-called reference product like the HD800 if it has a known user issue with its sound that might require one to purchase a modification for it? That kind of money, I have to be floored right out of the box. Just saying.
Because the mod will cost you under $10 and is pretty easy to do. Many people ARE floored right out of the box. Those who are sensitive to the sibilance generally are very happy after the mod is installed. Despite the perceived flaw, they are still considered the best dynamic headphones in the world. But yes, why the problem exists, I'm not sure. They spent years on R&D and should have come up with a solution like this themselves.

And yeah, the Hilo is a fantastic headphone amp. I imagine many people who are interested in Hilo would also be interested in the best headphones they can get so I think headphone discussion is a valid one. Having said that, however, until I find that a replacement cable makes a significant improvement, I've said all I need to say for now.
2nd June 2012
Old 2nd June 2012
Gear Head

Quote:
Because the mod will cost you under $10 and is pretty easy to do.
Which I would've known had I clicked the links you kindly provided in your earlier post.
Quote:
...until I find that a replacement cable makes a significant improvement, I've said all I need to say for now.
I'd trust them not to degrade the sound of their best headphones with a lousy cable and leave it at that. Enjoy!

Anyone have any comparison to make between the Hilo and a Symphony?
If the quality is similar, (?) then I wonder about the character of their sound. Is one brighter? Smoother? Anything?
2nd June 2012
Old 2nd June 2012

Quote:
Which I would've known had I clicked the links you kindly provided in your earlier post.

I'd trust them not to degrade the sound of their best headphones with a lousy cable and leave it at that. Enjoy!

Anyone have any comparison to make between the Hilo and a Symphony?
If the quality is similar, (?) then I wonder about the character of their sound. Is one brighter? Smoother? Anything?
All I can tell you is the Hilo just pipped the symphony to take top spot in the converter loop back test (I know this doesn't mean much but it at least suggests they are very very close in terms of transparency at least). Also, the Hilo doesn't lock you in to using only two channels. You can add addition I/o via the digital connections.
nms
2nd June 2012
Old 2nd June 2012
nms
Lives for gear

The Symphony & Hilo don't sound that close comparatively. Hilo & LIO8 are a closer comparison but Hilo is the most transparent converter I can name. Symphony has a bit of top end color. I'd say the conversion in Hilo is better but the Symphony is still a fantastic box.
2nd June 2012
Old 2nd June 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
If you're considering the Hilo, you might also want to check this out:
Apogee Symphony I/O Modules > Apogee Electronics
The New 2x4 Analog I/O Module for Symphony I/O from Apogee | BH inDepth
That puts a 2 channel Symphony at roughly the same price as a Hilo, with the added flexibility of an extra module bay to add I/O later, especially cool if one can drop 2 2x4 modules in.
My reservations about the Hilo are:
-Locking in to 2 channels only.
-Whether it's aimed as much or more at mastering engineers and audiophiles than at musicians.
It's one thing for me to go way over budget for killer conversion, sacrificing some I/O to get it, another thing altogether to pay for wonderful features that may be cool to have, but that I don't really need.

Since the Hilo claims a "world class" headphone amp as one of its key features, discussing which headphones to pair with it isn't that far off topic.
Which is my excuse for the following…
I'm a long time fan of Sennheiser headphones. Used to be able to get ones like the HD265's and HD570's for about 1/2 off refurbished and shipped free direct from Sennheiser. Good, but not great stuff at excellent prices. And if you've ever had headphones go bad because of a scratchy plug, no problem, switch the cable out cheap. My question is why get a so-called reference product like the HD800 if it has a known user issue with its sound that might require one to purchase a modification for it? That kind of money, I have to be floored right out of the box. Just saying.
Well to answer ur second question, I have no idea what are they tolking about, I am not sure maby their headphones are defect? I never thought that HD 800 sound very bright. I think they sound pretty natural with them u get how it is recorded. I still believe even thought that I was told that those folks listened to high quality recording , I still think that their over brightness is they hear the way it was recorded. For example I would never consider for example Madonna or other main stream pop music as good high quality recordings even though that their CDs are very well sold because those recordings are optimized for that little radios or that little speakers to sound good, and actually they are not ment to be listened on audio system which has a flat frequency response. Another issue why Sennheizers HD 800 might sound too bright is with non remastered vintage recording because in the old days the professional audio system was not flat and was not be able to reproduce a flat response after 8khz so awrything which was past 8khz was just a wild guess .
Well speaking with my experience with all my all my listening to high quality recordings Sennheizers HD800 soud very-very pleasant
But afcause if begin to listen to mp3 then it is another story.....
3rd June 2012
Old 3rd June 2012

Quote:
Well to answer ur second question, I have no idea what are they tolking about, I am not sure maby their headphones are defect? I never thought that HD 800 sound very bright. I think they sound pretty natural with them u get how it is recorded. I still believe even thought that I was told that those folks listened to high quality recording , I still think that their over brightness is they hear the way it was recorded. For example I would never consider for example Madonna or other main stream pop music as good high quality recordings even though that their CDs are very well sold because those recordings are optimized for that little radios or that little speakers to sound good, and actually they are not ment to be listened on audio system which has a flat frequency response. Another issue why Sennheizers HD 800 might sound too bright is with non remastered vintage recording because in the old days the professional audio system was not flat and was not be able to reproduce a flat response after 8khz so awrything which was past 8khz was just a wild guess .
Well speaking with my experience with all my all my listening to high quality recordings Sennheizers HD800 soud very-very pleasant
But afcause if begin to listen to mp3 then it is another story.....
It is not to do with the recordings. Look at the frequency response:

http://content.reviewed.com/products.../5331/freq.gif

There is a big peak at approximately 6.5khz. If you don't hear it that way, then lucky for you. Everybody hears things differently.
3rd June 2012
Old 3rd June 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
It is not to do with the recordings. Look at the frequency response:

http://content.reviewed.com/products.../5331/freq.gif

There is a big peak at approximately 6.5khz. If you don't hear it that way, then lucky for you. Everybody hears things differently.
hmmm?!
i have a good gearing and i can hear past 22khz actualy

as my memory remembers awry pair of HD 800 has a bit different freuency responce. they even can send u from Germany the frequancy responce of a particular headhpone u own. here is a topic by the way Sennheiser HD800 Certificate for Frequency Response Arrived

also i have removed that filters in the both caps
3rd June 2012
Old 3rd June 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
hmmm?!
Wow. Not sure I've ever heard that claim before. Except maybe an infant. How did you determine that?
4th June 2012
Old 4th June 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
hmmm?!
That's signature worthy!
4th June 2012
Old 4th June 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Category 5 View Post
Wow. Not sure I've ever heard that claim before. Except maybe an infant. How did you determine that?
1)Sinewawe generator

2) old tv and computers (A lot of them makes a very loud high pitched noise)
4th June 2012
Old 4th June 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
1)Sinewawe generator

2) old tv and computers (A lot of them makes a very loud high pitched noise)
If it's true that's awesome, but the old TVs you hear are generatink 16KHz from the flyback transformer. I hear it sometimes too and it's annoying as hell! Once had to switch rooms in a hotel because the TV was blaring 16KHz at me.
4th June 2012
Old 4th June 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Category 5 View Post
If it's true that's awesome, but the old TVs you hear are generatink 16KHz from the flyback transformer. I hear it sometimes too and it's annoying as hell! Once had to switch rooms in a hotel because the TV was blaring 16KHz at me.
cool.
actualy some old tvs ,computers actualy can go higher in pitch then 16khz.

p.s.by the way it is so anoying to listen to mainstream pop music on a high quality flat full range audio system for me
because most of that music was optimised not for good speakers,headphones but for the tiny radios or that little 20 $ speakers

p.s. but i guess anought of oftopic, let us focuse on the thread topic about Hilo and it's accessories which will make Hilo shine

Hilo is owesome
4th June 2012
Old 4th June 2012
Gear nut

Quote:
p.s. but i guess anought of oftopic, let us focuse on the thread topic about Hilo and it's accessories which will make Hilo shine
Clap clap clap clap ...
6th June 2012
Old 6th June 2012
Lives for gear

Question to Phil Moon -

Are we going to see a low latency 8 input channel version with "Hilo tech" for general DAW use?

Also seeing as the Hilo will tend to be on everyday in a lot of setups, how long will the screen last?
That's something that always worries me with LCD displays...
Maybe an option to turn off the display when not needed and just use the computer software to control it?
nms
6th June 2012
Old 6th June 2012
nms
Lives for gear

Absolutely.. I'm surprised there weren't more options programmed into Hilo at launch. Screen options for things like brightness, auto shutoff after x secs, are expected.
pmoon
7th June 2012
Old 7th June 2012
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolColJ View Post
Question to Phil Moon -

Are we going to see a low latency 8 input channel version with "Hilo tech" for general DAW use?

Also seeing as the Hilo will tend to be on everyday in a lot of setups, how long will the screen last?
That's something that always worries me with LCD displays...
Maybe an option to turn off the display when not needed and just use the computer software to control it?
Wow - I leave for a few days and it becomes a thread on headphone mods and other sidetracks. Go figure.

A few points to throw in on Hilo. First thanks for the early adopters for sharing your opinions and wishes. Good to see.

Nothing to talk about on future products at this time.

The LCD screen - we took a lot of time looking at the screens avialable. And we did a lot of research into the reliability, robustness and longevity of these screens. The last thing you want to have happen is to lose an LCD in the middle of a Clapton solo.

We chose an LCD that is mostly used in the Medical Electronics industry. While we might have critical listening, they have real-life critical situations where equipment failure can be catastrophic. We were very impressed with the reliability stats. And they are not easy on their equipment. This should not be an issue.

A lot of people have asked for some remote monitoring and remote control of Hilo and we are looking at that on several fronts. Lots of options.

Brightness of the screen is already one of the controls on Hilo.

Auto shutoff of the screen is another future feature.

Thanks again for your comments and the conversation.

Phil Moon
Lynx
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search