Login / Register

NEW overstayer channel amplifiers ???
New Reply
Subscribe
the fxs
29th February 2012
Old 29th February 2012
Lives for gear

Hardware NEW overstayer channel amplifiers ???

just had a look at OS site,
found this:

Overstayer Recording Equipment - Channel Amp

looks tasty with the built in EQ and all the extras!
+ there's a 2 channel version mentioned in the ampflifier section.
but no pics yet
Attached Thumbnails
NEW overstayer channel amplifiers ???-casing1.jpg  
29th February 2012
Old 29th February 2012
Lives for gear

Jeff showed me the prototype boards a couple months ago, and I sorta wrote it off, "OK, another mic pre". But, I actually took it to my studio a couple weeks ago. DAMN! It's actually bad ass. It's an insane bass DI. Love my REDDI too, but this is at that level... but different.

The pre is outstanding. I to me it sounds like an API that has reached in and pulled out 10% more of all the great stuff, and was a little closer to the source. Where it doesn't sound like an API is that it has a BIG bottom end like a TG2 or vintage Neve.

To be fair, I'm keeping my API's (because they're great too), but I did sell off another pre that IMO got stomped.

I'm a big Overstayer fan, and I cheerlead it often because it's way underpriced and sounds great. I think the pre is the best thing they make.

29th February 2012
Old 29th February 2012
Gear addict

Thanks for the review! So does it still have the (relative) clarity of the API or does it have the veiled/phase-distorted sound of the Neve?

Also, did you get a chance to play around with the EQ at all?
29th February 2012
Old 29th February 2012
Gear addict

Will there be a mic level output?
1st March 2012
Old 1st March 2012
Lives for gear

maybe that's a post gain pad between the gain and lf pots?
1st March 2012
Old 1st March 2012
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-d-S View Post
Will there be a mic level output?
Curious what you would use this for.

@ audiomichael: I'm glad to hear the pre is impressive. How about the harmonic button / switches and eq?
2nd March 2012
Old 2nd March 2012
Lives for gear

Oh man... Can't wait to get the details on this one!
2nd March 2012
Old 2nd March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lobsterinn View Post
@ audiomichael: I'm glad to hear the pre is impressive. How about the harmonic button / switches and eq?
The version of the pre I tried didn't have the harmonic button yet. Excited to try that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimS View Post
Thanks for the review! So does it still have the (relative) clarity of the API or does it have the veiled/phase-distorted sound of the Neve?
It not veiled at all. It's actually clearer than the API (not brighter, but clearer). It has a much deeper bottom end than the API though. Similar to the Neve's bottom extension, but more clarity. But more modern, less vintagey than the API 3124 or Neve 1073

Quote:
Also, did you get a chance to play around with the EQ at all?
Yep. EQ is nice. It's solid state Pultec-y. The high boost is a shelf though. Very clean and nice. I only messed with the EQ on DI bass.
2nd March 2012
Old 2nd March 2012
Gear maniac

with line input too, nice!
2nd March 2012
Old 2nd March 2012
Gear Head

I'm not Jeff (but I am a Geoff).

Anywho, here's what Jeff sent me about the channel amps about a month ago:

"The half rack version in the pictures is a discrete pre, and then a discrete Lang/Pultec inspired shelving eq, 2 frequencies per band, and a low cut that cuts out the midrange when combined with boost, as in the pultec. Transformers in and out, eq bypasses the second stage altogether, so basically 2 different configurations. Also a high roll off, and a circuit similar to pre boost in the ID4 that pads the final output and increase the eq amp by the same amount, to put you right in that sweet close to clipping range, and not clip what is down stream.

The Channel strip adds a mid band with boost or cut, and an FET compressor. Details coming on this and it will be released shortly after the half rack ..."

So, unless things have changed in the interim, that's what we're looking at.

Would love to hear more input from the beta testers.

Cheers,
Geoff
2nd March 2012
Old 2nd March 2012
Gear interested

There are a lot of beta testers that have used these in one form or another over the past year, maybe some will chime in.

The pics Geoff was referring to were from a previous version posted on facebook last year, since then we ended up combining some features from the full channel strip into the half space, including more frequencies and separate low boost and attenuate frequencies, which opens a wider array of mid scoop options. The pre boost circuit has been expanded as well and can be set to create stronger 2nd or stronger 3rd harmonics.

Price will be in the range of our other half-space units. More details and pics will be posted in the coming days, we will be shipping within a few weeks.

Thanks!

Jeff
3rd March 2012
Old 3rd March 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by overstayer View Post
There are a lot of beta testers that have used these in one form or another over the past year, maybe some will chime in.

The pics Geoff was referring to were from a previous version posted on facebook last year, since then we ended up combining some features from the full channel strip into the half space, including more frequencies and separate low boost and attenuate frequencies, which opens a wider array of mid scoop options. The pre boost circuit has been expanded as well and can be set to create stronger 2nd or stronger 3rd harmonics.

Price will be in the range of our other half-space units. More details and pics will be posted in the coming days, we will be shipping within a few weeks.

Thanks!

Jeff
Sounds great! So what frequency does the high roll-off start at, and is there still the capability on the PCB for a continuous control as a mod?

Oh, and will the full channel strip be following shortly?

28th March 2012
Old 28th March 2012
Lives for gear

Does the channel strip have mic pre + EQ + comp or just eq and comp ?
28th March 2012
Old 28th March 2012
Lives for gear

Just mic pre + EQ. No comp.
7th April 2012
Old 7th April 2012
Gear Head

There's a new pic up on the website (I've been semi-compulsively checking the last little bit. Without the semi bit.) so, they must be getting close-ish.

And yes, more thoughts from the beta testers would be most welcome.

Happy Easter (and passover) to all.

Cheers,
Geoff
8th April 2012
Old 8th April 2012
Gear maniac

I think I'm gonna get at least one of these preamps, looks very promising, especially since I don't have anything in the API-ish-sounding corner. I'm very satisfied with my FET + VCA duo, and my line driver, but the line driver just screams for another Overstayer half rack next to it!

With overstayer units I always get quality for my money. I can actually afford it all. Brand new. Can't say that about most things I GAS for!
10th April 2012
Old 10th April 2012
Lives for gear

My Studio

Looks great, very excited for it to come out, I have yet to be disappointed with any OS gear! Hopefully it is as well-priced as the rest of their line :]
10th April 2012
Old 10th April 2012
Gear addict

Looks like he's moved the HF shelf boosts up to 4k, 8k, and 12k, which is certainly an improvement over 3k, 5k, and 10k. Overall I like the changes he's made since the previous version. Looking forward to getting my hands on one or two of these.
11th April 2012
Old 11th April 2012
Gear Head

Ok, now that the info is up about these on the Overstayer site (intro price of $549 for one, $999 for a pair - plus shipping) can anybody who has got their mitts on one tell us a little more about their impressions?

I'd emailed Jeff around the time he took the original channel amps off the market. He told me that at least at that time, he had in mind things like Sphere, Lang, a UA model, and yes, API for the sound of this pre. I'm just a weekend warrior, so the only one of those that I have any clue at all about is API. Not sure what my point is here - but any descriptions of the overall character of this would be welcome. (So far we have clearer top and bigger bottom compared with API).

Any comments from those who've played with the eq and/or the harmonic sections?

Basically, I'd like to know if folks would recommend the Overstayer for somebody who has a fast but unexciting pre (Sytek in my case) but was looking for something with a bit more character and was leaning to the API camp as opposed to something more Neve-ish?

And, a specific question for Jeff: I think in one of your emails to me you mentioned that a channel strip configuration was also planned. I believe it was going to be a single channel pre with the FET comp. Is that still on the horizon? I guess its not really a big deal to buy them separately and rack them together though.

Cheers,
Geoff
18th April 2012
Old 18th April 2012
Gear Head

Hope it's not out of line for me to give this a wee bump.

Another question - how are people liking this on things like strummy acoustic guitars, pianos, other non-drum acoustic instruments?

Cheers,
Geoff
18th April 2012
Old 18th April 2012
Lives for gear

Funny you ask! Yesterday I was doing a quick test on it. I hadn't tried it on acoustics yet. It's really lovely. Here's a quick recording I did. It's an inexpensive Taylor... I think a 214??? Soundelux 251 > Overstayer Pre (no EQ or harmonics engaged). At the mixdown, I added a touch of Bricasti verb, an touch of Waves API 550B plugin (I think I just did the acoustic guitar preset ), and some Manley VariMu on the way out. I'll dig up the raw file this week. I dont' have it with me here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff738 View Post
Hope it's not out of line for me to give this a wee bump.

Another question - how are people liking this on things like strummy acoustic guitars, pianos, other non-drum acoustic instruments?

Cheers,
Geoff
Attached Files
18th April 2012
Old 18th April 2012
Gear Head

Thanks for that. Sounds good to me!

Cheers,
geoff
18th April 2012
Old 18th April 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiomichael View Post
Funny you ask! Yesterday I was doing a quick test on it. I hadn't tried it on acoustics yet. It's really lovely. Here's a quick recording I did. It's an inexpensive Taylor... I think a 214??? Soundelux 251 > Overstayer Pre (no EQ or harmonics engaged). At the mixdown, I added a touch of Bricasti verb, an touch of Waves API 550B plugin (I think I just did the acoustic guitar preset ), and some Manley VariMu on the way out. I'll dig up the raw file this week. I dont' have it with me here.
Yeah, if you can dig up the raw file that would be great, and any other clips you could post would be greatly appreciated.

From that clip I'm loving the low end, but there's something in the midrange that's bothering me. Not sure what's causing it though - it may not be the overstayer.
18th April 2012
Old 18th April 2012
Gear addict

I've been playing around with EQing that clip in various ways, and the more I listen to it the more I think it's just something in the guitar or the way it's played that I don't like. I don't think it's a harshness in the overstayer so much as it is the overstayer accurately picking up the harshness in the source.

While all I have to base my opinion on at this point is a single clip, so far it seems that the overstayer is a pretty fast and detailed preamp. It obviously isn't as transparent as something like a Grace, but it doesn't have that nice transient smoothing effect that an API can have. I'm not sure I like it on acoustic guitar (at least based on that one clip - I'd love to hear the variation you can get with different gain/output settings as well as use of the harmonic section), but it sounds like it could be excellent for vocals.
18th April 2012
Old 18th April 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by overstayer View Post

Thanks!

Jeff
Dear Mr. Overstayer,

I was wondering if you might be interested in donating one of these to my studio. We are on a really tight budget at the moment.

If you are interested, let me know and I'll PM my address.

Thanks.....can't wait to try it.
20th April 2012
Old 20th April 2012
Lives for gear

So did the dual channel amp get axed? I see that the link is gone from the site...

Kind of a shame. I like my preamps to have 2 or more channels per outlet they take up on the power strip.
20th April 2012
Old 20th April 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by prontold View Post
So did the dual channel amp get axed? I see that the link is gone from the site...

Kind of a shame. I like my preamps to have 2 or more channels per outlet they take up on the power strip.
I'm not entirely certain, but the picture I saw of what was referred to as the "dual channel amp" looked like it was just two channel amps racked together. I'm not sure there was ever a full rack, dual channel amp in the first place.

He did talk about a full rack channel strip at one point, but that would be a single channel unit and from the sounds of things it's a long way off.
23rd April 2012
Old 23rd April 2012
Gear Head

been using two of Jeff's new channel amps on a daily basis and totally loving them. stunning piece of gear for a ridiculously low price.

here's a guitar strumming sample.

RAW recording chain was:
70s Yamaha FG-300 > SM81 > overstayer > lynx aurora> PT

the PROC version has some CLA-76 and altiverb.

here's a photo of the settings on the channel amp:
Instagram

PRCS button was engaged, so EQ and output fader were happening. boosted some 8k and a tiny bit of 100.

my mac pro was in the room with me (about 5 feet away from the mic), so the noise you hear is that shit. :(

i'm by no means a great engineer and a pretty shitty guitarist, so please take this sample with a grain of salt.
Attached Files
File Type: aif OVERSTAYER_ACCSTRUM_RAW.aif (8.75 MB, 116 views) File Type: aif OVERSTAYER_ACCSTRUM_PROC.aif (8.75 MB, 74 views)
30th April 2012
Old 30th April 2012
Gear addict

Just thought I'd bump and see if anybody has anything more to add after playing with the unit for a bit longer. I'd especially love to hear what people think of the harmonic and EQ sections. Any thoughts/clips you might have would be greatly appreciated.
9th May 2012
Old 9th May 2012
Gear Head

Quote:
Just thought I'd bump and see if anybody has anything more to add after playing with the unit for a bit longer. I'd especially love to hear what people think of the harmonic and EQ sections. Any thoughts/clips you might have would be greatly appreciated.
Yeah, same here.

Jeff did indicate to me that the "channel strip" was going to come out sooner rather than later. Given that, and that I think the strip might fit my needs better than a pair of pres, I'm holding off for now and waiting until the channel strip arrives.

Cheers,
Geoff
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search