Phoenix DRS-EQ/500 - Now shipping
xavi
Thread Starter
#1
25th February 2012
Old 25th February 2012
  #1
Gear maniac
 
xavi's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
Hardware Phoenix DRS-EQ/500 - Now shipping

So finally the Phoenix Audio DRS-EQ/500 is now shipping. Anyone at AES in NYC in October or Namm in January would have seen our pre-production units and possibly some of the videos on Youtube from SOS, Harmony Central & Soundpure.

We now have all detented pots on the EQ section with 21 positions and a HPF set at 80hz

Also 11 switchable frequencies
16 db cut/boost on each band
HF & LF are shelving
Both MF are set as bell EQ

This is basically the same EQ circuit as the DRSQ4M mk2 with a few tweaks and like the DRS1R/500 it also runs at 24V due to its special onboard PSU which means it sounds very thick & punchy not brittle like if its was running at 16v.

Any questions as ever



robin@phoenixaudio.net
Attached Thumbnails
Phoenix DRS-EQ/500 - Now shipping-img_0621.jpg   Phoenix DRS-EQ/500 - Now shipping-img_0625.jpg   Phoenix DRS-EQ/500 - Now shipping-img_0619.jpg  
#2
25th February 2012
Old 25th February 2012
  #2
Gear nut
 
autohorse's Avatar
 

Good news!

Got my hands on a pair of the preproduced.

Love them! Both for tracking and 2bus. Might grab some more of these.

But first a drs1 500 pre...
#3
25th February 2012
Old 25th February 2012
  #3
Gear maniac
 
Standstraight's Avatar
 

How come they doesn't disable the view image function in the gearslut iphone app cause it's NEVER working. Never have I viewed a image in this f#^*{$g app. What's the point. Do it right or not at all.
#4
26th February 2012
Old 26th February 2012
  #4
Lives for gear
 

Why are the frequency choices upside down?
#5
26th February 2012
Old 26th February 2012
  #5
Lives for gear
 
Realtugs's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellyd View Post
Why are the frequency choices upside down?
Was wondering the same. No biggie, I guess...would get used to it...but a little odd nonetheless.
#6
27th February 2012
Old 27th February 2012
  #6
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.
 

I'm sure they're great units but the face plates have a very DIY look to me. The knobs look great though.
#7
27th February 2012
Old 27th February 2012
  #7
Jai guru deva om
 
warhead's Avatar
 

We have these on the way...as a DRS Q4 owner I can say these EQ's are extremely nice sounding, and the points chosen are spot on and let you work quick. The tone and control are awesome. We will add it to our Clipalator and do a side by side with the rack unit too.

War
#8
1st March 2012
Old 1st March 2012
  #8
Jai guru deva om
 
warhead's Avatar
 

The Phoenix DRS-Eq 500 is now in our Clipalator, aside from the hi-pass value being changed to 80hZ (from around 130hZ on the rack version) these units sound indisinguishable. Also though, I like the new detent pots! That ought to make the "easier to recall" crowd happier too. The LED meter is a nice touch, a rarity in equalizers.

http://www.zenproaudio.com/clipalator.aspx

War
Quote
1
xavi
Thread Starter
#9
2nd March 2012
Old 2nd March 2012
  #9
Gear maniac
 
xavi's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
Glad Warhead says they're identical, we worked really hard on the 500 series mic pre & EQ to make sure they were, the key to both units sounding so good in the 500 series format is that they run at 24v due to the special PSU built into the unit. They're not brittle sounding like some units are after being forced to run at 16v, we think this is pretty unique thing & some thing I guess we should be shouting about more


robin@phoenixaudio.net
#10
2nd March 2012
Old 2nd March 2012
  #10
sexy... could be filling up my empty slots
#11
2nd March 2012
Old 2nd March 2012
  #11
Jai guru deva om
 
warhead's Avatar
 

Full HD video on YouTube, I typically do kick drum then female vocal for EQ's as it shows off the full spectrum.



War
#12
2nd March 2012
Old 2nd March 2012
  #12
Lives for gear
 
Solar's Avatar
#13
4th March 2012
Old 4th March 2012
  #13
Lives for gear
 
mixerguy's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by xavi View Post
So finally the Phoenix Audio DRS-EQ/500 is now shipping. ....
This is basically the same EQ circuit as the DRSQ4M mk2 with a few tweaks and like the DRS1R/500 it also runs at 24V due to its special onboard PSU which means it sounds very thick & punchy not brittle like if its was running at 16v.
so what does this mean about the 24 volt PSU onboard?

how does that come into play?

does it somehow take the 48v phantom and use it? as some other 500 series modules do? (em-peq comes to mind)

..... it seems that it will it work in a regular 500 series rack? such as the 10 space API - correct?

thanks

#14
4th March 2012
Old 4th March 2012
  #14
Lives for gear
 
Marcocet's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by xavi View Post
This is basically the same EQ circuit as the DRSQ4M mk2 with a few tweaks and like the DRS1R/500 it also runs at 24V due to its special onboard PSU which means it sounds very thick & punchy not brittle like if its was running at 16v.


Yeah, I'm sure this is a great product but personally I find the above statement ridiculous. It seems like you're saying that all +/-16v powered units should sound more brittle than 24v powered units. I suppose what you're trying to say that it sounds better than if you took a 24v design and just trimmed the voltage down to 16v, but who would ever do that?
xavi
Thread Starter
#15
4th March 2012
Old 4th March 2012
  #15
Gear maniac
 
xavi's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcocet View Post
Yeah, I'm sure this is a great product but personally I find the above statement ridiculous. It seems like you're saying that all +/-16v powered units should sound more brittle than 24v powered units. I suppose what you're trying to say that it sounds better than if you took a 24v design and just trimmed the voltage down to 16v, but who would ever do that?
Think you've misinterpreted what I've said here, Phoenix units were designed to run at 24v like lots of other brands (or maybe a higher voltage), so converting them to run in the API 500 series format which is at 16v causes an issue sonically - making them sound a little brittle. I think its well known that some of the 19" rack versions of various brands units can sound slightly better (thicker, fuller etc) than the API 500 series versions, so clearly some units have been converted to run at a lower voltage (trimmed down to quote you). Clearly the advantage of the 500 series is the flexibility that it offers and relative affordability where units can be interchanged easily, but like all things there maybe some compromises. If a unit was designed to run at this voltage like say API units are which I believe run at 16v, then clearly this wouldn't be an issue and as we all know they sound great.
xavi
Thread Starter
#16
4th March 2012
Old 4th March 2012
  #16
Gear maniac
 
xavi's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by mixerguy View Post
so what does this mean about the 24 volt PSU onboard?

how does that come into play?

does it somehow take the 48v phantom and use it? as some other 500 series modules do? (em-peq comes to mind)

..... it seems that it will it work in a regular 500 series rack? such as the 10 space API - correct?

thanks

we don't touch the 48v, we just have a special power section on our units which enables the unit to run at 24v. We have the 10 space API rack & a few lunchboxes (of various ages) and all comfortably run 10 (or 6) pre amps or EQ's etc without any issue. Both the DRS1R/500 & DRS-EQ/500 have a low current draw (well within the API VPR specs) so they work comfortably with other units & in all racks (we've tested & got feedback from users in the field)


robin@phoenixaudio.net
#17
14th September 2012
Old 14th September 2012
  #17
Lives for gear
 
mixerguy's Avatar
so has anyone heard these? how do they sound?
#18
4th December 2012
Old 4th December 2012
  #18
Lives for gear
 
drastic's Avatar
I haven't had the chance to check out the Phoenix stuff yet. Is it a fairly clean eq or colored? I'm in the market for something with a little mojo.
#19
4th December 2012
Old 4th December 2012
  #19
Lives for gear
 
RCM - Ronan's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by drastic View Post
I haven't had the chance to check out the Phoenix stuff yet. Is it a fairly clean eq or colored? I'm in the market for something with a little mojo.
I got to play with them a bit. Really really nice. I would say they are a good balance between clean and colored, and the drive circuit allows you to push it for more coloration. I am going to try and do a review of this for my show, but in short I was not crazy about it on the stereo buss, but loved it on individual tracks.
#20
4th December 2012
Old 4th December 2012
  #20
Lives for gear
 
drastic's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCM - Ronan View Post
I got to play with them a bit. Really really nice. I would say they are a good balance between clean and colored, and the drive circuit allows you to push it for more coloration. I am going to try and do a review of this for my show, but in short I was not crazy about it on the stereo buss, but loved it on individual tracks.

Good deal. Thanks for the thoughts!!
xavi
Thread Starter
#21
4th December 2012
Old 4th December 2012
  #21
Gear maniac
 
xavi's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
Thanks Ronan, interesting stuff ! I'll bring them back along with the new 500 series compressors and you can see what they're like too.

For Drastic, here is a comment left on our Facebook page last week :

.from our local Seattle producer Justo...
Big thanks to Rich over at Lunchbox Audio for letting me demo this Phoenix Audio Gyratory EQ! Great piece, I love where the eq set points are, has great character and a "snap" to it thats great for adding punch to a variety of sound sources! Also "creamy" sounding... I hate that I have to use that word to describe anything, but you'll see what I mean if you plug it in to your Lunchbox!


robin@phoenixaudio.net
#22
6th December 2012
Old 6th December 2012
  #22
Lives for gear
 
drastic's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by xavi View Post

For Drastic, here is a comment left on our Facebook page last week :

.from our local Seattle producer Justo...
Big thanks to Rich over at Lunchbox Audio for letting me demo this Phoenix Audio Gyratory EQ! Great piece, I love where the eq set points are, has great character and a "snap" to it thats great for adding punch to a variety of sound sources! Also "creamy" sounding... I hate that I have to use that word to describe anything, but you'll see what I mean if you plug it in to your Lunchbox!


robin@phoenixaudio.net

Thanks Robin! Just ordered one, looking forward to trying it out.
#23
12th June 2014
Old 12th June 2014
  #23
Lives for gear
 
erol's Avatar
 

Bump
Anyone here using it on 2bus? (Maybe some EDM too?)
Topic:
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
astorian / High end
60
pan60 / So much gear, so little time!
58
pan60 / So much gear, so little time!
82
Allesmachine / So much gear, so little time!
6
darwin / So many guitars, so little time!
3

Forum Jump
 
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.