BETA version of Tokyo Dawn Labs – Feedback Compressor
wehkah
14th February 2012
Old 14th February 2012
Gear interested

BETA version of Tokyo Dawn Labs – Feedback Compressor

Hej Folks,

the record label Tokyo Dawn Records from germany has released a Beta of the Tokyo Dawn Labs – Feedback Compressor. Any feedback from your's would be great, im sure the TDR guys will appreciate it.

Tokyo Dawn Labs | Tokyo Dawn Records

Info:

A carefully designed RMS based feed-back dynamics compressor. The processor is dedicated to sum compression and operates very smoothly – even under the most difficult conditions.

Notable features:

All relevant calculations are done at 64bit precision. Bit-transparent differential oversampling scheme.
Re-sampling done via high quality linear phase filtering.
No lossy approximations or tables in algorithms (where possible).
Musical stereo-linking network.
Dynamic integration time RMS detector.
Freely adjustable knee.
Blend between the original and compressed signal.
Optional sidechain HP filter.
Optional low frequency saturation.
Optional release automatism.
Latency compensated bypass.

Known issues:

Default GUIs are not supported yet.
The algorithm is not optimized for sample-rates higher than 48kHz. Higher rates will create expected sonic results, but will ask for huge amounts of CPU power.

peace&sun
T
14th February 2012
Old 14th February 2012
Gear addict

Downloading and testing!
If the results are so good as the Saine masters it will be great!!
wehkah
14th February 2012
Old 14th February 2012
Gear interested

right now i'm about to playing around with some new sounds, this comp will be really smart at my master channel. more a subtile compression.
15th February 2012
Old 15th February 2012
Gear addict

Oh! And thanks for providing this open Beta!
Cheers
3rd March 2012
Old 3rd March 2012
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wehkah View Post
Hej Folks,

the record label Tokyo Dawn Records from germany has released a Beta of the Tokyo Dawn Labs – Feedback Compressor. Any feedback from your's would be great, im sure the TDR guys will appreciate it.

Tokyo Dawn Labs | Tokyo Dawn Records

Info:

A carefully designed RMS based feed-back dynamics compressor. The processor is dedicated to sum compression and operates very smoothly – even under the most difficult conditions.

Notable features:

All relevant calculations are done at 64bit precision. Bit-transparent differential oversampling scheme.
Re-sampling done via high quality linear phase filtering.
No lossy approximations or tables in algorithms (where possible).
Musical stereo-linking network.
Dynamic integration time RMS detector.
Freely adjustable knee.
Blend between the original and compressed signal.
Optional sidechain HP filter.
Optional low frequency saturation.
Optional release automatism.
Latency compensated bypass.

Known issues:

Default GUIs are not supported yet.
The algorithm is not optimized for sample-rates higher than 48kHz. Higher rates will create expected sonic results, but will ask for huge amounts of CPU power.

peace&sun
T
Hi I just jump in here.
Is this compressor having feedback adjustments built in,
or are you just making feedback with it
4th March 2012
Old 4th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by niceboy View Post
Hi I just jump in here.
Is this compressor having feedback adjustments built in,
or are you just making feedback with it
lol
4th March 2012
Old 4th March 2012
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by claesbjo View Post
lol
Whats funny
14th March 2012
Old 14th March 2012
Gear Head

Tokyo Dawn Labs has released a new beta version of its*Feedback Compressor, a carefully designed RMS-based feed-back dynamics compressor for Windows.
14th March 2012
Old 14th March 2012
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkhamCornoit View Post
Tokyo Dawn Labs has released a new beta version of its*Feedback Compressor, a carefully designed RMS-based feed-back dynamics compressor for Windows.
Can you give me a link
14th March 2012
Old 14th March 2012
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkhamCornoit View Post
So is it doing parallell or direkt feedback.
We do both , so does it have feedback direct knobs like Kramer Master Tape
It looks like à normal dynamik compressor for me.
14th March 2012
Old 14th March 2012
Lives for gear

It might be helpful if some people here would do a Google search on "feed back" vs "feed forward" compressor circuit design.
15th March 2012
Old 15th March 2012
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparqee View Post
It might be helpful if some people here would do a Google search on "feed back" vs "feed forward" compressor circuit design.
If refering to me .

I am feedback expert, so I dont need to Google.

We have both built and done both negative and possitive feedback,

for over 25 years.

We used analog compressors years ago to do direct feedback.
15th March 2012
Old 15th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
If refering to me .

I am feedback expert, so I dont need to Google.

We have both built and done both negative and possitive feedback,

for over 25 years.

We used analog compressors years ago to do direct feedback.
I think you and Sarqee are talking about 2 different types of feedback
15th March 2012
Old 15th March 2012
Lives for gear

My Studio

@wehkah

Thank you & nice share indeed. Going to download this baby and give it a run Test tomorrow without a doubt.

Hopefully that you are planning to have a x64 bit version sometimes soon once you'll have a true Release Candidate (RC).

Thanx again for sharing
15th March 2012
Old 15th March 2012
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasoundjunkie View Post
I think you and Sarqee are talking about 2 different types of feedback
What do you think I am refering to then.

We have also built analog gear like negativ feedback amps,

and mixers called Soundmixers with built in feedback.

I am just asking questions.

So you are just doing feed forward with the feedback compressor.

Why is it then called feedback compressor here.
15th March 2012
Old 15th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:

and mixer called Soundmixers with built in feedback.

Perhaps someone familiar with the product could chime in but I don't think the term "feedback" is being used to mean feedback amplification (as you seem to infer) . I think it more probable that they are referring to the topography of the detector circuit.

15th March 2012
Old 15th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:

and mixer called Soundmixers with built in feedback.

My bad it just seemed like there was a communication gap but you obviously know the difference
15th March 2012
Old 15th March 2012
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasoundjunkie View Post
My bad it just seemed like there was a communication gap but you obviously know the difference
You think a lot , but science is about knowing, and we do a lot of feedback.

Thats what we know .

We also do feedback in mastering.
15th March 2012
Old 15th March 2012
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparqee View Post
Perhaps someone familiar with the product could chime in but I don't think the term "feedback" is being used to mean feedback amplification (as you seem to infer) . I think it more probably that they are referring to the topography of the detector circuit.

Thats great you showed those pics with feed forward and feedback,

Because we use compressors also to just amplify mics.

In Sonic Core we use Waves plugins to amplify the feedback circuit,

in Sonic Core , and they are competitors in the sales.

We connect them with MADI.

Waves most effektive amp to do feedback with is not even theire,

newest multiband , but theire plugin called Max Volyme.

Sorry if I confused someone but its nice that you putted your pics.

Users of Kramers Mastertape would maybe find out how to use the

feedback knob without delay later.

Ps . In Kramer Mastertape the feedback is built into the plugin.

In Sonic Core we use a little plugin called fbk to actually make feedback.

On ex .rythmguitars multiband is more usefull than just a dynamic compressor,

but thats just an opinion.
15th March 2012
Old 15th March 2012
Lives for gear

... wat?
15th March 2012
Old 15th March 2012
Gear interested

cool
15th March 2012
Old 15th March 2012
Gear addict

Any plans for making it VST64bit? Any plugin that has to use 32bit bridge makes my system extremely unstable.
15th March 2012
Old 15th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
You think a lot , but science is about knowing, and ...

I have no reason to doubt your technical knowledge, and I respect that. But, not to put too fine a point on it, science is more about not knowing, and learning to ask questions in the right way. It's a process and a set of criteria, neither a body of knowledge, except as transitory documentation of that process, nor a brickbat to hurl at people.

But to the point of this thread, the Tokyo Labs Feedback Compressor, I've thrown it up against a few things and it seemed quite nice to me late last night. Being able to direct harmonics toward the upper or lower spectrum is surprisingly useful, depending on the program material. The various parameters available for adjustment provide for a highly flexible tool. I'll be putting it through more of its paces today throughout my work day, but I'm hopeful.

Cheers all.

15th March 2012
Old 15th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
You think a lot , but science is about knowing, and we do a lot of feedback.

Thats what we know .

We also do feedback in mastering.

Well, thanx to this post I now KNOW you are someone I will from here on out simply ignore. What I said to you was actually meant to help since it seemed I was not the only one who thought there was a communication gap. Have a nice life
15th March 2012
Old 15th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empty Planet View Post
I have no reason to doubt your technical knowledge, and I respect that. But, not to put too fine a point on it, science is more about not knowing, and learning to ask questions in the right way. It's a process and a set of criteria, neither a body of knowledge, except as transitory documentation of that process, nor a brickbat to hurl at people.
Cheers all.

Exactly
16th March 2012
Old 16th March 2012
Lives for gear

Wow is all I can say. This thing sounds great, I couldn't believe what a nice clean sound it has.

This plugin is taking on all the big name plugin makers and likely will put most of them out of business.

New 1st compressor in my opinion. There are so many great comps around these day it is a good day to be on win vst.

It is about time though that some plugin makers understand that we don't want added 'color' and unneeded 'mix-ready' properties. Just strait quality which lets the original sound shine on.

No doubt the market is reeling because of these well developed projects, but I'm sure the high-end market will not shut down completely, but for us this can't be better.
19th March 2012
Old 19th March 2012
Lives for gear

Hi everyone,

I developed the plugin. Just saw this discussion and finally joined gearslutz... First of all, many thanks to everyone who took the time to test the processor! I'm really glad to hear you guys like it and find good use for it.

Let me clear out some things about the name "Feedback Compressor". This is definitely not the coolest name for a compressor and the potential for confusion is real Sure, "Feedback" is a very wide term in audio processing.

@niceboy: The name related to feedback control structures (Control system - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia), which I thought is well known in the dynamics compression terminology. The "feedback" part of the name is not related to the feedback associated with analogue amplifier design. In fact, the compressor's gain cell simply consists of a multiplication. More accurately, it runs at 64bit floating point precision and is embedded in a differential oversampling structure. That is, only the processed part is oversampled and added to the original signal.

I recommend you to have a look at the feed-forward vs feed-back compression structures and their properties. They have a totally different behaviour.

@wehkah: Thank you for posting the compressor!

@wakestyle & @Empty Planet: Thank you guys! Sooo happy to hear that.

@Sonic_Beast: Yes, I'm trying the get the 64bit build work in my old development setup!

To be honest, my main motivation behind my audio projects is purely egoistic. I build them for my own joy and needs, the idea to share them in public to came to me a few months ago (I develop vsts since ~8 years). So please, feel free to share your ideas and suggestion with me!! I'll try to implement any good input.. ..will also release more of my projects in the next months..

BTW, I saw that Gearsluts seems to be full of quality aware people, some might be interested to hear that I have a slight audiophile paranoia, some of you guys are maybe familiar with it. I have a sweet mastering grade monitoring system in front of me with lots of huge basotect bass-traps, a benchmark DA, lin amps, B&W805s speakers, a SPL Phonitor and a (new! ) Grado PS1000 headphone.
19th March 2012
Old 19th March 2012
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FabienTDR View Post
Hi everyone,

I developed the plugin. Just saw this discussion and finally joined gearslutz... First of all, many thanks to everyone who took the time to test the processor! I'm really glad to hear you guys like it and find good use for it.

Let me clear out some things about the name "Feedback Compressor". This is definitely not the coolest name for a compressor and the potential for confusion is real "Feedback" is definitely a very wide term in audio processing.

@niceboy: The name related to feedback control structures (Control system - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia), which I thought is well known in the dynamics compression terminology. The "feedback" part of the name is not related to the feedback associated with analogue amplifier design. In fact, the compressor's gain cell simply consists of a multiplication. More accurately, it runs at 64bit floating point precision and is embedded in a differential oversampling structure. That is, only the processed part is oversampled and added to the original signal. This oversampling structure can also be found on the weiss compressor.

I recommend you to have a look at the feed-forward vs feed-back compression structures and their properties. They have a totally different behaviour.

@wehkah: Thank you for posting the compressor!

@wakestyle & @Empty Planet: Thank you guys! Sooo happy to hear that.

@Sonic_Beast: Yes, I'm trying the get the 64built build work in my old development setup!

To be honest, my main motivation behind my audio projects is purely egoistic. I build them for my own joy and needs, the idea to share them in public to came to me a few months ago (I develop vsts since ~8 years). So please, feel free to share your ideas and suggestion with me!! I'll try to implement any good input.. ..will also release more of my projects in the next months..

BTW, I saw that Gearsluts seems to be full of quality aware people, some people might be interested to hear that I have a slight audiophile paranoia, some of you guys are maybe familiar with it. I have a sweet mastering grade monitoring system in front of me with lots of huge basotect bass-traps, a benchmark DA, lin amps, B&W805s speakers, a SPL Phonitor and a (new! ) Grado PS1000 headphone.
If you say that feedback is done differently digitally than from the analog way,
you are wrong.
I am refering to whats done in Sonic Core now for many years.
Also the new plugin with a knob in Kramers Mastertape called feedback is doing built in feedback ,
so its clear now that you are pretending to have a compressor ,
thats having something to do with feedback ,
by calling it feedback compressor, but now you say feedback isnt done in digital plugins.
That sounds like you might have to change the name of the compressor,
to something else because feedback is done a lot also in digital processing.
Also in digital mastering , and not only with Waves plugin Kramer Mastertape,
but also doing feedback like in the application Scope from Sonic Core.
It seems like some teachers have told you something wrong here,
just because they never reached the doctoral level.
Compressors can be used to amplify the feedback thats built into the tubes,
by sending the signal back into the compressor,
and then it goes back into the tube itself with its feedback ,
and that will add even more feedback of course.
This is of course controversial because you dont seem to understand ,
that feedback is actually very usefull to make good sound.
If the name is missleading buyers it is wrong under not only European laws,
but many other laws also.
19th March 2012
Old 19th March 2012
Lives for gear

lol, niceboy, I guess i'm supposed to answer to your non-sense and insults?

Again, and for the last time: The name refers to feedback control systems (Control system - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia). I don't want to sound like an ass, but you are obviously lacking some basic knowledge in this case. Hell, I even provided a link, read it please.

The name does not relate to the feedback applied in analogue amp design. It's even a pretty stupid idea to use this kind of feedback in a digital amplifier. The main reason is that digital amplification (a multiplication) is already perfect and doesn't require feedback trick to act better (it is practically lossless), the second is that instant feedback is impossible in the digital world (so that the technique you mention since the beginning of this thread has no use). Funny, you expect something that isn't possible from the beginning. Smart and educated, huh? To be honest "XY has a plugin that claims" has not much to do with education.

Are you going nuts when I call my next plugin "feedback delay"?

You'll understand that I have no other choice than ignoring your posts from now on.
19th March 2012
Old 19th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by FabienTDR View Post

Unless I'm completely off base, THIS is the bit that the nice one misses and the only thing the name of the plug refers to. I'm remodeling my studio right now and haven't had a chance to try this guy out but from what I'm reading this seems to be a great tool, looking forward to it. BTW Welcome to GS FAbien!
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search