BETA version of Tokyo Dawn Labs – Feedback Compressor
New Reply
Subscribe
19th March 2012
Old 19th March 2012
Lives for gear

My Studio

@FabienTDR

Thanx for joining #GS cuz its always great having a great interaction with the main Dev. Really appreciate and as for me to be honest, you can name your plugins as you wish, waht counts is the end result and the dedication, passion, Love & ears the Dev puts in. And it seems that you're doing a great job!

For a minute I was disconnect myself to this thread because I saw it becoming more of a #fight conversation instead.

Thanx @FabienTDR for sharing your product with us, really appreciated & already looking forward for your upcoming ones.

Hope this thread goes back about the product and constructive feedback no matter who happens to like or dislike the plugin. Can't please anybody right?

Wish you all a great positive beginning of week

Peace
19th March 2012
Old 19th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasoundjunkie View Post
...BTW Welcome to GS FAbien!
Thanks man! Can't wait to hear your opinion about the compressor!

@Solar: Right! Thank you, too! But I still hate Mondays lol
19th March 2012
Old 19th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by FabienTDR View Post
lol, niceboy, I guess i'm supposed to answer to your non-sense and insults?

Again, and for the last time: The name refers to feedback control systems (Control system - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia). I don't want to sound like an ass, but you are obviously lacking knowledge in this case. Hell, I even provided a link, read it please.

The name does not relate to the feedback applied in analogue amp design. It's even a pretty stupid idea to use this kind of feedback in a digital amplifier. The main reason is that digital amps (a multiplication) are already perfect, the second is that instant feedback is impossible in the digital world (so that the technique you mention since the beginning of this thread has no use). Funny, you expect something that isn't possible from the beginning. Smart and educated, huh? To be honest "XY has a plugin that claims" has not much to do with education.

Are you going nuts when I call my next plugin "feedback delay"?

You'll understand that I have no other choice than ignoring your posts from now on.
I think the guy just WANTS to be right and/or english is simply not his first language. Either way a little humility goes a long way
Genius is small pieces Daniel Lanois

I just finished mixing this for my good friends PUYA and I'm pretty damn happy with the results
http://youtu.be/VS7ofNQarlo
19th March 2012
Old 19th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by niceboy View Post
You are obviously not very intelligent repeating stupid ideas that feedback is impossible in the digital world , in the same time the new plugin Kramer Mastertape is doing just feedback inside the plugin.
I dont want your feed forward, its not good.
Please take a deeper read into the technology. This is not real "analogue" feedback, instead, they fake it (the only feedback inside the kramer was developed by marketing professionals).

You cannot create instant feedback in the digital domain, simply because it is not continuous. That is, you always have a 1 sample delay between the original and the feedback signal. Which means that any attempt to use feedback in a digital amplification system will effectively create an integrator (a simple filter) and will not deliver the results one would expect in the analogue world. Instead, it will create a strange 6dB lowpass filter.

In contrasts to waves' ads, I am not trying to sell anything. You can trust me. I delivered a full featured and working audio processor, so please don't tell me that my theory and education isn't right. Not sure if you realized it is available for free.
19th March 2012
Old 19th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
You are obviously not very intelligent repeating stupid ideas that feedback is impossible in the digital world , in the same time the new plugin Kramer Mastertape is doing just feedback inside the plugin.
I dont want your feed forward, its not good.
Being that you seem to think that everyone here is ignorant and your vast reservoir of knowledge far outstrips the collective knowledge here I feel duty bound to say to you
[IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]
19th March 2012
Old 19th March 2012
Lives for gear

Fabien, Thanks for sharing the compressor!

I took some time with it and comparing wih others, it´s a subtle comp, and sometimes it´s all we need.

I see this "Feedback related" posts from Niceboy spread throughout the forum. It´s messing a lot of threads!

Ciro
19th March 2012
Old 19th March 2012
Lives for gear

Fabien,

Very cool improvements to the compressor. I think the adjustable harmonics are fab — useful, and the sound seems quite tasteful to me on the material I've auditioned so far.

But the inclusion of a delta is extremely interesting and, I'm finding, very cool. Does anyone else putting out VST fx provide this feature? I've not seen it, and I thought I kept up. Really interesting to hear on compression. Great idea. Nice!

I usually like the sass and speed of feed-forward designs, but as I age I seem to be developing a lighter touch. I think I'm going to be using your plugin, sincere thanks for making the result of so much of your work freely available.

I hope you have tremendous success with your project. I fear, after seeing how quickly you added improvements, you may be deluged by requests for changes (it has happened here before a few times).

Cheers and thanks again!

PS. @niceboy. ugh. that i went to such effort to explain things nicely, and look at you.

Duck.

.......Rusko
19th March 2012
Old 19th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empty Planet View Post
Very cool improvements to the compressor. I think the adjustable harmonics are fab — useful, and the sound seems quite tasteful to me on the material I've auditioned so far.

ops, I tried a version that I downloaded 1 or months ago, will take a look in the new one.

Ciro
19th March 2012
Old 19th March 2012
Lives for gear

Hey ciro, thanks for testing! Yes, it's designed for transparent bus compression. It's probably to "lazy" for some tracking purposes.

BTW some beta testers reported that the "HF Harmonics" were nearly inaudible, or at least far too low in volume. I like them the way they are, but maybe someone can give it a try.
19th March 2012
Old 19th March 2012
Lives for gear

I think it´s interesting have someone like you (treated room, excellent monitoring), making the plugins and testing in practice at same time. I bet you notice things that the average user does not !

I downloaded the new version and tried on the same source, the new one has a more obvious effect. Will fiddle a bit more :-) thanks again!

Ciro
19th March 2012
Old 19th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empty Planet View Post

PS. @niceboy. ugh. that i went to such effort to explain things nicely, and look at you.
This is why the splendid "ignore user" feature exists. There aren't many users I've added to my ignore list but niceboy just made the cut.
19th March 2012
Old 19th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparqee View Post
This is why the splendid "ignore user" feature exists. There aren't many users I've added to my ignore list but niceboy just made the cut.
Thank you for bringing this feature to my attention, splendid ideed
19th March 2012
Old 19th March 2012
Lives for gear

Ah, thanks for the reminder, sparquee! Yes, indeedy.

Fabien, the high harm was apparent to me, and I'm no George Martin. Could have been the material I was auditioning.

Cheers.

19th March 2012
Old 19th March 2012
Gear addict

@Niceboy
You keep telling us you work for a company. Wich one?
19th March 2012
Old 19th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by scalawag View Post
@Niceboy
You keep telling us you work for a company. Wich one?
He keeps mentioning Sonic Core
20th March 2012
Old 20th March 2012
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparqee View Post
I have quite a few on mine but the problem is that they're amongst the most-quoted users on Gearslutz so I can't escape them completely. And yes, niceboy made the cut!
20th March 2012
Old 20th March 2012
Gear nut

Quote:
I dont work for Sonic Core, but they have the only program with a
plugin called fbk meaning feedback.
see link:Planet Z • View topic - Uploading photos
for my friend in Denver thats doing feedback
Its right though what he said about 1 sample delay, or half true because thats what the fbk is about.
What I have been told , thats fake also.
1 sample is like 3 procent of a millisecond, and that is then to much delay,
and not good for some
For me its still like the speed of light minus 3 procent of à millisecond.
It might be just theatre about the 1 sample delay called fbk that Sonic Core created,
or its really 1 sample delay, so what, the feedback is working with 1 sample delay.
This guy is something else! From the Mcdsp Channel G Compact Manual
Feed-forward vs. Feed-back Compression
The Compressor/Limiter in Channel G Compact is one of the few in the world
that allows the user to choose between the input or output of the Compressor/
Limiter. Using the compressed output, often referred to feedback compression,
is found in many vintage compressors such as the API 225 compressor. The more
common technique found in modern dynamic range processors is feed-forward
compression – the use of the input signal as the compression key. In fact, the API
225 is one of the only compressors (along with Channel G Compact’s Compressor/Page 14
Limiter ) that allows the user to switch between feed-forward and feedback
compression.
Why should the use of a Feed-back compressor be considered then in today’s
modern production facilities? This type of compression, while susceptible to
pumping or breathing the overall signal level, can be useful in addressing certain
dynamic range ‘problems’. For example, a suppose you needed to process a lead
vocal that has a good deal of dynamic range changes, and is sung in an aggressive
style. Heavy compression is needed to limit the maximum signal level, and even
the softest of knee shapes does not alleviate the unwanted ‘compressed vocal
effect’ thus rendered. Using the compressor output as the key signal, the transition
between the compressed and un-compressed signal is minimally different. Because
the key signal is already compressed, the compressor will trigger more subtley, and
possibly produce a more desirable effect.
20th March 2012
Old 20th March 2012
Lives for gear

Any chance of a mac audio unit version?
20th March 2012
Old 20th March 2012
Lives for gear

mac AU and/or VST versions are planned on the long term, but I try to focus basic user experience, performance and compatibility issues first. I have no commercial ambitions regarding the plugins, so there isn't much to gain for me except extra work, costs and more potential issues. As mentioned before, I build them for my own uses, the fact that I share them in public is just a nice side-effect. So mac ports might take a while..
22nd March 2012
Old 22nd March 2012
Lives for gear

wehkah
22nd March 2012
Old 22nd March 2012
Gear interested

Motto: sharing knowledge...
http://soundcloud.com/bytechop
22nd March 2012
Old 22nd March 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
Update: 64bit version for windows is now available!
Great news! Thank you!
23rd March 2012
Old 23rd March 2012
Lives for gear

24th March 2012
Old 24th March 2012
Lives for gear

Any chances for RTAS/AAX?
I'm pretty curious now..
25th March 2012
Old 25th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by baslotto View Post
Any chances for RTAS/AAX?
I'm pretty curious now..
RTAS/AAX ports are not planned I'm afraid.
27th March 2012
Old 27th March 2012
Lives for gear

Veeeeeeeeeeeeeery nice. Just finished putting my room back together and figured it was time to try this out. Another great sounding compressor and free! Very punchy without being pointy and dead easy to use, the mix sounds cohesive and wide. BTW this guy just replaced the Elysia Alpha comp, because in this particular mix (metal) this little freebie smoked it. Great job Fabien
27th March 2012
Old 27th March 2012
Gear nut

thank you SO much for this. using it almost everytime

btw: cant someone ban this niceboy ? please...
27th March 2012
Old 27th March 2012
Lives for gear

Thanks guys! A new update will be available soon, I'm also preparing new processors for release.
27th March 2012
Old 27th March 2012
Gear addict

It would be super great if you can add an assortment of presets: Vocals, fingerpicking guitars, master bus etc.

I find that presets teach me about plugins better then manuals.
Thank you
27th March 2012
Old 27th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Beast View Post
It would be super great if you can add an assortment of presets: Vocals, fingerpicking guitars, master bus etc.
I can do that, but I have no clue how your guitars/vocals have been recorded, I don't know which flaws they have and how they interact with the other parts of the mix. So, I seriously doubt if these "presets" will help anyone.

You can just work with the default setting in case you don't want to mess with the details. It will work fine for most inputs, just tweak the threshold and makeup gain to taste. You can then simply hit the "AR", "SC HP" and harmonics switches and see (hear) if the result is fine.

The feedback compressor was designed for master bus compression, other tasks are just nice "extras" - I don't support them to keep the concept clean and focused. Master bus compression is really the last place where I would expect to see use of presets (it would be better to not compress at all if you're not familiar with compression).

I highly recommend you read the "manual" (1 page) instead. Presets are a waste of time IMO. They just make the learning curve much steeper from my experience.

@Sonic Beast: Don't get me wrong please! Just being honest. I'm working on tracking oriented processors soon, these will most probably come with presets.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search