Slate Digital Virtual Tape Machine
Old 9th April 2012
Gear addict

he lost the code in his raven file :+) I love trigger
Old 9th April 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maccalennon View Post
I'm pretty much just throwing the towel on this one..
+1

Im gonna wait for the next special/promo and purchase the UAD Studer.
Old 9th April 2012
Slate Pro Audio / Slate Digital

Some companies have a quota.. They need to release a certain amount of plugins per year as part of their business plan.

I don't abide by such a rule.

When we release the vtm, you will be able to purchase knowing that we spared no expense to ensure that it is absolutely positively the most authentic recreation of analog tape in the digital domain.

We are 95% of the way there and expect a release very soon.

Cheers,
Steven
Old 9th April 2012
Gear nut

Side note

I know it's tough but guys come on slate is known for qaulity we all keep trying to find with every plug and most fail. I hate to wait! I even bet Steven wishes he could release it being a fellow gearslutz himself.

On the other hand will it not be worth it? To let them work out the bugs rather then have it now and complain they rushed it? Steven is a man of his word and working hard on it I'm sure, so let him do his thing and give encouragement for a truly innovative product we will love for a long time to come!! Myself I thank Steven for an amazing VCC & drums... And for it not costing $400-$500!! I will try to patiently wait
Old 9th April 2012
Gear nut

So funny people getting all upset at the time it's taking. From memory it wasn't Steven Slate who even announced it on this forum, it was previewed at the Namm show and someone else started this thread. I LOVE VCC and can't wait for this new plug, oh wait yeah I'm happy to wait. BTW where is all the people getting cranky with that Waves Console Plug? That hasn't said boo yet
Old 9th April 2012
Lives for gear

Indeed it'll be worth the wait if it's damn good. Take your time Steven/Fabrice.

In the mean time I will continue printing my mixes to Hi-Fi VHS for that truly authentic "tape sound" eehe.
Old 9th April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maccalennon View Post
I'm pretty much just throwing the towel on this one..
Where are you throwing it?

I think it's going to be an awesome plugin when it comes out. I'm looking forward to it, whenever that is.
Old 9th April 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Slate View Post
When we release the vtm, you will be able to purchase knowing that we spared no expense to ensure that it is absolutely positively the most authentic recreation of analog tape in the digital domain.

We are 95% of the way there and expect a release very soon.
Sounds good Steven - take the time it needs! Looking forward to it...
Old 10th April 2012
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by markham View Post
Where are you throwing it?

I think it's going to be an awesome plugin when it comes out. I'm looking forward to it, whenever that is.
ohh just around the corner, i'm quite the impatient bastard
95% makes me feel a lot better
Old 10th April 2012
Gear maniac
I hope the virtual tape will use no more cpu than the VCC (one channel is 0.2% on my system). If that is the case I will put one on each channel, just like I do with the VCC. That would emulate recording to tape and passing through a vintage console.

I am not looking for extreme tape saturation, just the sound you would get recording at normal volume to tape, of course.
Old 10th April 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tombuur View Post
I hope the virtual tape will use no more cpu than the VCC (one channel is 0.2% on my system). If that is the case I will put one on each channel, just like I do with the VCC. That would emulate recording to tape and passing through a vintage console.

I am not looking for extreme tape saturation, just the sound you would get recording at normal volume to tape, of course.
agreed, I have the FG-X and really like it but it is a cpu hug, hope the tape will be lighter, a cpu consumption equal to the vcc would be cool so I could use it not only on busses but single channels to
Old 10th April 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by leonardo777 View Post
agreed, I have the FG-X and really like it but it is a cpu hug, hope the tape will be lighter, a cpu consumption equal to the vcc would be cool so I could use it not only on busses but single channels to
The new update for FG-X has really sorted the CPU consumption out have you tried it yet?
Old 10th April 2012
Gear nut

Guys, the tape is convoluted thingy, modelling it properly requires a lot of resources -- look at UAD ATR102 compared to other UAD plugs. I think the best way is to give user a choice between hi-quality/hi-CPU consumption version and lesser-quality/low-CPU consumption. But I really hope there would be no-stone-unturned ultra-realistic version even if it's CPU guzzler. After all I can print it to individual tracks if necessary.
Old 11th April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by meloco_go View Post
Guys, the tape is convoluted thingy, modelling it properly requires a lot of resources -- look at UAD ATR102 compared to other UAD plugs. I think the best way is to give user a choice between hi-quality/hi-CPU consumption version and lesser-quality/low-CPU consumption. But I really hope there would be no-stone-unturned ultra-realistic version even if it's CPU guzzler. After all I can print it to individual tracks if necessary.
100% agreed! I do this with VCC at the moment anyway even though it takes up very little CPU per track. 8x oversampling-->bounce all tracks, done. Only leaving the mix buss plug-in on the master track and channel plug-in on a few busses.
Old 20th April 2012
What's the word?
Old 20th April 2012
Super Moderator

John, haven't you heard??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnkenn View Post
What's the word?
Old 20th April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grahamdwc View Post
Old 20th April 2012
Lives for gear

Slate team, take all the time you need to get it right, i'm sure it will be worth the wait

P.S. Please entertain the idea of a next generation SSL 4000E channel strip plugin
Old 20th April 2012
Gear nut

I'll be very happy if an Audiosuite version is available too.
Old 20th April 2012
Lives for gear

Old 20th April 2012
I just got on the Slate Digital band-wagon this year. I love the FG-X. It's the only plug-in I trust to make mixes loud and punchy.

I've been fighting all these analog-modeling plug-ins for a long time. I needed to upgrade my iLok to the iLok 2 anyway so I figured I'd been hearing so many good things about Slate's stuff I might as well give the RC-tube a shot and get my iLok2 with it. Popped it on a song that had previously been mixed and BAM, instantly better, and it was already a good mix to begin with!

Very shortly after I upgraded to the whole VCC bundle. I really want a good tape plug-in too and I am very pleased to hear that Steven Slate is making the VTM.

I'm just hoping that there will be a discount for owners of other Slate Digital Products.

Any word on that, Steven?

You scratch our backs and we will scratch yours! I will spread the word of your greatness! There's no better advertisement than word of mouth
Old 24th April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewwebsteraudio View Post
I just got on the Slate Digital band-wagon this year. I love the FG-X. It's the only plug-in I trust to make mixes loud and punchy.

I've been fighting all these analog-modeling plug-ins for a long time. I needed to upgrade my iLok to the iLok 2 anyway so I figured I'd been hearing so many good things about Slate's stuff I might as well give the RC-tube a shot and get my iLok2 with it. Popped it on a song that had previously been mixed and BAM, instantly better, and it was already a good mix to begin with!

Very shortly after I upgraded to the whole VCC bundle. I really want a good tape plug-in too and I am very pleased to hear that Steven Slate is making the VTM.

I'm just hoping that there will be a discount for owners of other Slate Digital Products.

Any word on that, Steven?

You scratch our backs and we will scratch yours! I will spread the word of your greatness! There's no better advertisement than word of mouth
I think at $250 if the plug-in really does sound like tape then it's already "discounted". But if you're looking for a discount then just wait for Black Friday (the day after Thanksgiving for those of you not in America). Slate, like most companies, often has sales around that time.

What I'm most looking forward to with this plug-in is improvements on drum and vocals.
Old 24th April 2012
Lives for gear

As much as I'm anticipating the tape plug, I'm glad Slate took the time to fix the bugs in SSD4 and FG-X first. I'm thinking they will not release the tape plug until it's really solid and been beta tested heavily.
Old 24th April 2012
Lives for gear

All i know is that I'm really anxious to Try and Test this plugin its not even funny. But as #StevenSlate mentioned, they really want to be sure the plugin vs the hardware is to pair. And for that, they can take the time they need. Although I wish it was already out

So patience is a virtue as they say

Awaiting
Old 24th April 2012
I'm also dying to try it out!!! And it doesn't help that Steven keeps posting about it on Facebook and Twitter. It is driving me crazy! Haha
Old 24th April 2012
Slate Pro Audio / Slate Digital

Yeah sorry for the teasing on the social networks but this thing has got me so excited. The first thing you'll notice when you use it, is that you'll need about 25% less plugins to make everything sound so right. Ok enough sorry again... it's gonna be available soon.

Cheers,
Steven
Old 25th April 2012
Quote:
Yeah sorry for the teasing on the social networks but this thing has got me so excited. The first thing you'll notice when you use it, is that you'll need about 25% less plugins to make everything sound so right. Ok enough sorry again... it's gonna be available soon.

Cheers,
Steven
Your excitement x2 = our excitement.

Can't wait!!!
Old 25th April 2012
Lives for gear
Quote:

Cheers,
Steven

That's what I discovered when i started using VCC. No more boatloads of plugins trying to make everything sit together. Get each instrument sounding good, and then they are almost already fitting together.

Before it was get everything to sound good, then screw around with everything ad nauseum until they sat together. Then struggle to get them each sounding right again.

If this thing works the same, I'm ready to dump have my processing habbits and get back to minimalism. Use the right pre and mic, and then mix everything. A dash of eq/comp here and there and nothing more. That's what I want ITB!

Now please give me the ex to pro upgrade for trigger on a deal. I need more sounds and my libraries are gog.
Old 25th April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Category 5 View Post
That's what I discovered when i started using VCC. No more boatloads of plugins trying to make everything sit together. Get each instrument sounding good, and then they are almost already fitting together.

Before it was get everything to sound good, then screw around with everything ad nauseum until they sat together. Then struggle to get them each sounding right again.

If this thing works the same, I'm ready to dump have my processing habbits and get back to minimalism. Use the right pre and mic, and then mix everything. A dash of eq/comp here and there and nothing more. That's what I want ITB!

Now please give me the ex to pro upgrade for trigger on a deal. I need more sounds and my libraries are gog.
25% less plug-ins to get a good sound? Only time will tell but that sounds really promising "bang"! ;-)

I think that's exactly what we're gonna get! A quicker workflow like the pro engineers have had all these years. Top quality tape machines and top quality consoles in plugins! Now all that's left is making sure your source sounds great to make the mix easier and more about the art than fixing things after the fact.
Old 25th April 2012
Lives for gear

Really hope we can have a fully functional demo. This is what sold me on the VCC originally (and the beta).
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search