Login / Register

Waves NLS & 64 bit (v9)
New Reply
Subscribe
4th March 2012
Old 4th March 2012
Talio

Living in a country where it is impossible to buy an iLok I truly appreciate Waves' option for a USB stick. I wish more developers joined this idea.
4th March 2012
Old 4th March 2012
Gear maniac

I thought it was that you didn't have to use the iLok if you didn't want to.... That it's another option....no?
4th March 2012
Old 4th March 2012
Gear maniac

Looks like a lot of other companies (Plugin Alliance) are moving away from iLok too ... So I guess something happened like a considerable increase in the charge from iLok.

I just wish they all could agree on a common solution, preferably one using a usb stick as Waves intend to. That would be much easier for those of us who often reinstall everything or go back to an earlier image. The advantage of iLok (and a usb stick) is that you don't have to go through a lot of reauthorizing once again, often going to different homepages with different procedures etc.
4th March 2012
Old 4th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercado_Negro View Post
Living in a country where it is impossible to buy an iLok I truly appreciate Waves' option for a USB stick. I wish more developers joined this idea.
I too appreciate this idea , the problem is that a lot of us have iloked other plugins (Softube , Motu , Waves , Slate ...here) ....so until all get rid of ilok system , we still have to use this system no matter waves route !!

So dealing with 2 keyz is a pure headache (as dealing with one already is) , but one thing about keyz is that it's easy to use 2 systems (one at time) ....

So i really hope Waves allow ilok retro compatibilty or 2 or 3 licences (like my Fxpansion , IK, NI ....ect )

under than that i find the cloud a good idea and the recovery policity good ...

The fact that to change a system , you have to deactivate the plugins is ok , but if you lose your laptop or get jacked or some , how to deactivate ?

MySpace : http://www.myspace.com/zoakajeezo

YouTube Channel : http://www.youtube.com/user/ZozillaT...t?feature=mhee

Cutthroat to the bone !

"People became used to use money they do not have to buy things they do not need to impress others who do not care"
5th March 2012
Old 5th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tombuur View Post
Looks like a lot of other companies (Plugin Alliance) are moving away from iLok too ... So I guess something happened like a considerable increase in the charge from iLok.

I just wish they all could agree on a common solution, preferably one using a usb stick as Waves intend to. That would be much easier for those of us who often reinstall everything or go back to an earlier image. The advantage of iLok (and a usb stick) is that you don't have to go through a lot of reauthorizing once again, often going to different homepages with different procedures etc.

EXCACT !!!!

The other way is to minimize brands witch i tend to do now !! i already restected to ilok only stuff ....so steinberg stuff (portico , new synth ect..) i don't even go ..same for arturia ....bad cause i really would love the last arturia release emu .....
5th March 2012
Old 5th March 2012
Lives for gear

personally i think its a great idea. i cant wait for the day all companies offer to let you download your licenses onto your own usb stick, if you want. hard drive based if you dont, surely thats the best of both worlds? portability without the issues of the dreaded proprietory dongle.

hats off to waves, in the past ive cursed their policies like everyone else but with their new pricing and now this, they really are looking like a company thats willing to move forward.
5th March 2012
Old 5th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearNerd View Post

Now I have to stick an iLok and USB stick to my computer. That´s two sticks, not one! One was already too much!
+1 agreed.

Nevertheless, 64bit will be a breath of fresh air esp on large complex mixing sessions, it's so lame to be only able to view one wave plugin interface at a time. Bring on the 64 bit already! I can't wait. anyday now...

Josef Horhay
Mixing Engineer
www.acoosticzoo.com
5th March 2012
Old 5th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcoosticZoo View Post
Nevertheless, 64bit will be a breath of fresh air esp on large complex mixing sessions, it's so lame to be only able to view one wave plugin interface at a time. Bring on the 64 bit already! I can't wait. anyday now...

Josef Horhay
Mixing Engineer
www.acoosticzoo.com
I don't get it. How will 64 bit help large complex mixing sessions?
And right now you can open as many Waves plugin interfaces as you want - have been able to for years. Am I missing something obvious here?

http://www.groove3.com/str/authors.php?authorid=13
5th March 2012
Old 5th March 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey MTC View Post
I don't get it. How will 64 bit help large complex mixing sessions?
And right now you can open as many Waves plugin interfaces as you want - have been able to for years. Am I missing something obvious here?
Yep. If you're working in 64 bit, you can only have one 32 bit plugin window open at a time, because in 64 bit mode, all 32 bit plugins work through a 32 bit bridge mode - at least that's the way it is in Logic Pro. Which is a PITA! And it uses more CPU resources, and buggers with the buffer rate. I recently started running LP 9 in 64 bit, and due to Waves 32 bit, had to increase buffer from 64 to 256, and still getting noise!

To Waves, hurry up already! AFAIK it' due sometime in March?

Anton

Reverb Nation youtube facebook
5th March 2012
Old 5th March 2012
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to Animus
Quote:

I
Plus ilok has proven to be not exactly secure so I am not surprised companies are wanting to shy away from it.
5th March 2012
Old 5th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
A guess or fact? Pace wouldn't kill themselves off like that. Only two companies (Waves & Plugin alliance) left iLok. There are many who still use it. My guess is they listened to customer feedback in regards to easier licensing and recovery. iLok was secure for a very long time until recently and anything designed for iLok2 & Eden has not been touched (vcc, autotune 7, McDSP 6030, etc.) so it still works.

My issue is how invasive on our computers is plugin alliance & waves going to get so it really works. So far this new style of protection has not protected anything.
5th March 2012
Old 5th March 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by work2do View Post
A guess or fact? Pace wouldn't kill themselves off like that. Only two companies (Waves & Plugin alliance) left iLok. There are many who still use it. My guess is they listened to customer feedback in regards to easier licensing and recovery. iLok was secure for a very long time until recently and anything designed for iLok2 & Eden has not been touched (vcc, autotune 7, McDSP 6030, etc.) so it still works.

My issue is how invasive on our computers is plugin alliance & waves going to get so it really works. So far this new style of protection has not protected anything.
Plugin Alliance is more than one company, hence the alliance ...

But this plus Waves is what I have noted. There must be a reason. Personally, however, I have always been happy with iLok. It makes it easier to reinstall a lot of plugins, when you need to build your DAW pc from scratch again.
5th March 2012
Old 5th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Plugin Alliance is more than one company, hence the alliance ...
One company, Brainworx, developed all of those plugs.
5th March 2012
Old 5th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
A guess or fact? Pace wouldn't kill themselves off like that. Only two companies (Waves & Plugin alliance) left iLok.
and nomad.

plugin alliance are seperate companies, spl, brainworx, noveltech, maag, chandler and lots more. its just that one looks after the most of the coding (i presume noveltech is just a native port rather than a recode?).
5th March 2012
Old 5th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonbuys View Post
Yep. If you're working in 64 bit, you can only have one 32 bit plugin window open at a time, because in 64 bit mode, all 32 bit plugins work through a 32 bit bridge mode - at least that's the way it is in Logic Pro. Which is a PITA! And it uses more CPU resources, and buggers with the buffer rate.
Anton

Ahh gotcha. Running 32 bit plugins within a 64 bit host.
Us Pro Tools guys have it simple being stuck in 32 bit mode . . . . for the time being anyway!
5th March 2012
Old 5th March 2012
GS Community Manager

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Only two companies (Waves & Plugin alliance) left iLok.
PSP left iLok.
Nomad Factory left iLok.
6th March 2012
Old 6th March 2012
Gear Head

Overloud left iLok too.
I hope Avid next
6th March 2012
Old 6th March 2012
Gear nut

My take on this has changed, based on my recent experience. I'll try to sum this up quickly.

I was fine with the idea of an iLok. There were a number of plug-ins and sample libraries I wanted at the time that used the iLok, so I bought one and really haven't had any problems using it. I think the one thing that sort of irritated me was that I couldn't remove some the expired demo trials from the iLok. So when it ran out of slots for licenses, I went out and bought an iLok 2 a couple of months ago. Not happily, but that's the price of technology, I suppose. And it worked fine until . . .

Cubase 6 crashed. I was unfreezing an instance of Superior Drummer 2 and it crashed. And from that point onward my iLok stopped working, although all indications were there was nothing wrong with the hardware - surely some file somewhere just got corrupted. But none of the audio software that depended on the iLok worked at all, getting an initialization error whenever the plug-ins were scanned. Waves wouldn't work. Antares Auto-tune wouldn't work. Celemony's Melodyne wouldn't work. Softube's Acoustic Feedback wouldn't work, etc.

So at least 4-5 vendors software would not work. I contact Pace for tech support. First email from them basically says "don't bother asking us for help". I contact Waves for tech support. Despite our best attempts over the phone, I get nowhere. I recontact Pace - they send me an automatic response to send my iLok in for replacement. No support at all.

I could see where this was going, and finally decided all I could do was reformat my hard drive and re-install all of my music software all over again - this takes a couple of weeks with my schedule.

Needless to say, I hope that all of the vendors that currently use the iLok to switch to some other form of CP. One that is both effective for the vendor and reliable for the end-user.

The iLok is fine except when it isn't, and that's the real story.

And yes, I am looking forward to Waves 9 w/o an iLok and particularly the NLS plug-ins
6th March 2012
Old 6th March 2012

Quote:
I don't think they had any increases in pricing recently, but it's the fact that some manufacturers lost confidence in them.
Gear Sales - High Profile Audio
Plugin Deals - PluginDiscounts
PluginDiscounts Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/PluginDiscounts
PluginDiscounts Twitter: https://twitter.com/PluginDiscounts
6th March 2012
Old 6th March 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhythmtech View Post
and nomad.

plugin alliance are seperate companies, spl, brainworx, noveltech, maag, chandler and lots more. its just that one looks after the most of the coding (i presume noveltech is just a native port rather than a recode?).
The Plugin Alliance is one company.

Brainworx bought the rights to produce, develop and distribute the plugins from those individual manufacturers as of January 1st.
6th March 2012
Old 6th March 2012
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBelmont View Post
I don't think they had any increases in pricing recently, but it's the fact that some manufacturers lost confidence in them.
Great! So now I have to put USB stick alongside with my 3 other dongles already (if you don´t count my UAD-2 dongles). That makes 4 freaking sticks sticking out of my computer!

This makes me advocate piracy!!! (Although I don´t do it myself). These companies should get what they deserve for harassing legal users and making everything so freaking difficult for us!!!

These companies should be penalized!
6th March 2012
Old 6th March 2012

Quote:
Great! So now I have to put USB stick alongside with my 3 other dongles already (if you don´t count my UAD-2 dongles). That makes 4 freaking sticks sticking out of my computer!

This makes me advocate piracy!!! (Although I don´t do it myself). These companies should get what they deserve for harassing legal users and making everything so freaking difficult for us!!!

There is never a good reason to advocate piracy or stealing!
ska
6th March 2012
Old 6th March 2012
ska
Gear nut

Quote:

Those companies don't force you to buy there plug-ins.......
6th March 2012
Old 6th March 2012
Lives for gear

I think the original point was that the companies that were seperate before becoming one under Brainworx/Plugin Alliance all ditched iLok at that point. So I would still count the original seperate companies in a list of companies that ditched iLok.
6th March 2012
Old 6th March 2012
Lives for gear

^^ this
6th March 2012
Old 6th March 2012
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to Animus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Jimmy View Post
I think the original point was that the companies that were seperate before becoming one under Brainworx/Plugin Alliance all ditched iLok at that point. So I would still count the original seperate companies in a list of companies that ditched iLok.
I think that Brainworx was the one ghostwriting those other company's plugs before the "merger".
6th March 2012
Old 6th March 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animus View Post
I think that Brainworx was the one ghostwriting those other company's plugs before the "merger".
Correct. They were just taking control of products they developed under license for other people.
6th March 2012
Old 6th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:

Penalized!?

It's ignorant posts like these that make people think it's ok to steal software. If nobody was stealing software then you wouldn't have to deal with copy protection systems.
7th March 2012
Old 7th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animus View Post
Ah, fair enough.
7th March 2012
Old 7th March 2012
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

Quote:

It's not difficult, just say no & don't buy them. It's strange that you think they're harassing you though.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search