Waves NLS & 64 bit (v9)
25th January 2012
Old 25th January 2012
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryst View Post
What about Slate's Tape Machine plugin? I haven't read anywhere where you're calling that a copy cat of other tape plugins.

I personally think competition is good. I'm looking forward to trying out the NLS and I'm looking forward to Slate's tape machine. I think they can all co-exist without either company being accused of copying another.
This thread got weird
They are all copying existing gear rather than each other.
Whoever rushes out their emulation out first hasn't "invented" something by being the first to copy a hardware product in software form, surely ?
25th January 2012
Old 25th January 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyc View Post
This thread got weird
Whoever rushes out their emulation out first hasn't "invented" something by being the first to copy a hardware product in software form, surely ?
Spot on....

Clones of clones and so forth.. I saw the same thing going on if the High End threads regarding some cat in Poland making some really nice gear, (IGS), and selling it.. Everyone was going on about how he might have copied some things from the Gyraf DIY forum.. (aren't they copying older gear that someone before them designed and manufactured?)

Honestly?!?!?!?!?

You know what gents, find what works for you and use it. Done deal.
25th January 2012
Old 25th January 2012
Lives for gear

...difference being that the diy-folks did not copy on a commercial basis...

Jakob E.
25th January 2012
Old 25th January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigazaga View Post
64-bit (not AAX yet)
Faster loading
Faster processing
No iLok required
Cloud or USB flash activation

The faster load times are due directly to not using iLok. From what I understand iLok will also still be available for the time being.
It's about time. Now I can actually upgrade AND buy new products, so I'll probably be doing both.

Thanks Waves.
25th January 2012
Old 25th January 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by gyraf View Post
...difference being that the diy-folks did not copy on a commercial basis...

Jakob E.
Fair enough I suppose.. but to a degree... and the intent of my post still stands.. At the end of the day we are talking about copies of copies and so on. Make a choice of what will work best for you.. and that includes the ability to agree ethically with your choice.

I don't want to get involved in an ethics discussion on GS.. it would be fruitless. You have valid points, Vedat with Wave Rider has valid points... and the 'copiers of copies' also have their valid points.., whether other folks agree or not.
TNM
25th January 2012
Old 25th January 2012
TNM
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcoosticZoo View Post
Ilok2, the new generic USB Stick, Codemeter, Syncrosoft, That's Four USB dongles using up valuable USB slots on a MacBook Pro as of today.

Even when waves moves to USB Stick, we'll still have to use ilok2 for other companies (eg. audioease). The switch will add to the problem of dongles - not reduce it.

If this is the trend, how many more manufacturer's dongles can we cope with?

This movement away from ilok to proprietary dongles is complicating things.

However, if these proprietary usb protection schemes can exist on the same USB stick, this would be a step forward. Eg. Waves, SSL Duende, etc can all co-exist on the same Generic USB stick.

there's going to be a maximum limit of how many dongles one DAW/system can take.

is there an option to stick with ilok2 for waves V9 for existing users? I really hope so, otherwise, it means another wasted usb slot.

Regards
Josef Horhay
Mixing Engineer
www.acoosticzoo.com
you do know you can download the license directly to your computer hard drive.. so no active permanent internet required, no usb slot, nothing.. right?
26th January 2012
Old 26th January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyc View Post
This thread got weird
Certainly. You could even go back one further and say VCC copied McDSP's Analog Channel plugin which had been out for years I believe.

And I am late to the party. I just now noticed this NLS plug. lol
26th January 2012
Old 26th January 2012
Gear nut

Waves Audio Unveils V9 (Version 9) Plugins

—Waves offers 64-bit host support and new easy-to-use authorization system —

WINTER NAMM SHOW, ANAHEIM, CA, January 19, 2012 — Waves Audio (Booth 6242/Hall A), the industry-leading developer of professional audio digital signal processing technologies and the recipient of a Technical GRAMMY® Award, unveils V9, the new version of Waves plugins.

One of Version 9’s most highly anticipated features is 64-bit operating system support. Now Waves users can unleash the power of massive amounts of RAM memory in the DAW hosts of their choice. In addition, V9 offers faster scanning, faster loading and faster processing times.

V9 also marks the introduction of Waves’ new easy-to-use authorization system, Waves License Center, which eliminates use of the iLok. Waves License Center offers users authorization activation straight to their computer or any USB flash drive; easy license management; license mobility via USB flash drive or users’ License Cloud; and one-click license recovery in the case of lost or damaged devices.

Waves V9 will be available Q1 2012. Visit Audio Plugins for Mixing, Mastering & Recording | Waves for more information.
26th January 2012
Old 26th January 2012
Gear maniac

thats damn good news, no more ilok ? they might allow 2 licences per plug ? let´s see...
26th January 2012
Old 26th January 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darc View Post
thats damn good news, no more ilok ? they might allow 2 licences per plug ? let´s see...
you can carry those license(s) on your own usb pendrive.
26th January 2012
Old 26th January 2012
Gear nut

We're finally getting rid of iLok.. good news!
26th January 2012
Old 26th January 2012

but as we have most of us other brands on our ilok .....well 2 usbs sticks still .....:(
26th January 2012
Old 26th January 2012
Lives for gear

Up front this looks like a better system than ilok and the plugin alliance. Hopefully more companies will follow this lead. Would love to have all my installations and licenses on a flash drive.
But... As long as Pro Tools stays with ilok, none of these "moving away from ilok" companies look appealing to me. I'd like to see Avid jump on board with this. This sounds like it would be great for ilok users like me, and people who hate ilok. Sounds promising.
GnS
26th January 2012
Old 26th January 2012
GnS
Gear nut

The next thing I'll invent is a ****ing small USB drive, big as thumbnail. It contains: ilok 2 / USB flash drive / syncrosoft key...

26th January 2012
Old 26th January 2012
Lives for gear

there is a huge thread on this right below u

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/new-p...ls-64-bit.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by digigem View Post
—Waves offers 64-bit host support and new easy-to-use authorization system —

WINTER NAMM SHOW, ANAHEIM, CA, January 19, 2012 — Waves Audio (Booth 6242/Hall A), the industry-leading developer of professional audio digital signal processing technologies and the recipient of a Technical GRAMMY® Award, unveils V9, the new version of Waves plugins.

One of Version 9’s most highly anticipated features is 64-bit operating system support. Now Waves users can unleash the power of massive amounts of RAM memory in the DAW hosts of their choice. In addition, V9 offers faster scanning, faster loading and faster processing times.

V9 also marks the introduction of Waves’ new easy-to-use authorization system, Waves License Center, which eliminates use of the iLok. Waves License Center offers users authorization activation straight to their computer or any USB flash drive; easy license management; license mobility via USB flash drive or users’ License Cloud; and one-click license recovery in the case of lost or damaged devices.

Waves V9 will be available Q1 2012. Visit Audio Plugins for Mixing, Mastering & Recording | Waves for more information.
26th January 2012
Old 26th January 2012
Lives for gear

We will see some time in march how much of a copy it is. It doesn't matter to me.
27th January 2012
Old 27th January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MediaMix View Post

I asked you to quote where I said, "one channel sounded different enough from another that I would use it for(say) bass instead of guitar" and you did not because I never said that.
Wow. AGAIN, comprehension is YOUR issue here. Show me which part of that post makes that statement, YOURS(hence, COMPREHENSION). I SHOWED you what I was referring to in my subsequent post. You misread(that is, did not comprehend) what I wrote. Let's just leave it at that. Welcome to the internet...
27th January 2012
Old 27th January 2012
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by work2do View Post
We will see some time in march how much of a copy it is. It doesn't matter to me.
If it's a direct copy then that's good enough for me since I will be able to use it with Multirack live, and print it to the tracks before I take them back to mix.

If someone would come up with a VST insert host for live use that's as good as Waves, then I'd love to use SSD and a whole slew of other great software...but I continue to wait while Multirack works beautifully.
mfx
27th January 2012
Old 27th January 2012
mfx
Lives for gear

Can we still use iLok for waves or is it obsolete for Waves V9?
28th January 2012
Old 28th January 2012
Lives for gear

I've been feverishly marauding google since I first saw the announcement about this and I can't freaking wait! Bravo waves!
29th January 2012
Old 29th January 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfx View Post
can we still use ilok for waves or is it obsolete for waves v9?
+123563789
30th January 2012
Old 30th January 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darc View Post
It would be nice...
3rd March 2012
Old 3rd March 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonik31 View Post
It would be nice...
Yes. So, where are 64 bit plugins ?

Wys?ane z mojego X10i
3rd March 2012
Old 3rd March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNM View Post
you do know you can download the license directly to your computer hard drive.. so no active permanent internet required, no usb slot, nothing.. right?
I like ilok cos it let's me use my plugins on different systems, n when i leave, the authorisation comes with me.

As many other plugins i run still use ilok, waves moving to this new method of copy protection doesn't free up a usb slot, but instead adds another system of authorisation - which means more hassles for the end user.

I'd imagine waves moving away from ilok2 is a significant hit to ilok2's client base.

Regardless of what happens, Waves still are great plugins so we'll bend over backwards and do whatever it takes to continue using them.

I recently found a 12 hub usb from dick smith electronics so that's a neat solution getting more usb slots.
3rd March 2012
Old 3rd March 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by studioprojekt View Post
Yes. So, where are 64 bit plugins ?
Yes, it's time now. Bring them on!
3rd March 2012
Old 3rd March 2012
Lives for gear

Is the move from Ilock simply to save on costs?
i would imagine waves has to pay for each registration.
I thought the ilock is a pretty good system too...
and being able to grab it and lock it away from the computer is an added layer of security in case of theft too.
It could be that as everyone will go 64...thousands of registrations later...waves will be scratching their heads as they write a check to i lock.
3rd March 2012
Old 3rd March 2012

Guyz can we still use the ilok with V9 ?

How to have it installed on 2 comp (but one use at time) that means how many licences we have ?
3rd March 2012
Old 3rd March 2012
Lives for gear

Still getting my head round it....i think it is either:

-keep the codes on a USB stick...which is portable
or
-on a studio computer....which is drive specific.

correction!...sorry....
Cloud or USB flash activation

My speculation:
There must be some dispute between ilock and waves over the upcoming version 9 registration cost.
I can see no other reason as ilock has been pretty good.. for me at least.
Waves have been cutting their prices a lot to attract people like me to buy all the products...but that leaves them with a huge V9 ilock bill i guess.
I just hope it works..whatever they force us customers to do...i have spent a fortune to be with Waves.
In a way i agree with someone who said that going 64 bit and ditching waves, even at a loss, was not all that bad and that cold turkey on plugins is no bad thing for the music.
They are praying that V9 offering us access to the new console emulations will smooth over any niggles we have...and they are probably right there!!!

All i know is...i want to use Logic in 64 bit....no bridge....and no hastle...
4th March 2012
Old 4th March 2012

i'm holding my buy on waves actual sells because of one thing : anybody knows if we will be still able to use ilok ?

Waves guyz never come in this forum ? is this info "secret defense" ?

Please tell the people that want to invest the infos .....

Alot of pro's are concerned by this issue , even some of them are ready to engage suits ....i don't caution it but i understand their frustration after investing for a solution that they validate and have to re think their plugins management ...
4th March 2012
Old 4th March 2012

Ditching the iLok for a USB stick is a FAIL! But what else can we expect from Waves? They are bunch of amateurs.

Now I have to stick an iLok and USB stick to my computer. That´s two sticks, not one! One was already too much!
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search