New Reply
Subscribe
19th March 2012
Old 19th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bishop666 View Post
Because the ilok carries your suitcase and the flash drive doesn't

What can the ilok do for you, the flash drive cannot?

Carries other non waves plugins .........

Tired of telling it .....
19th March 2012
Old 19th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bortraws View Post
The new waves License center in itself looks very good and it seems very flexible. Yet, I don't like it. I prefer the iLok. Not just because of Waves but because of ALL the licenses that I own.

What the iLok is good at is offering a way to carry all your plugin licenses on a single device and have one place to manage them all namely iLok.com.

Yeah, yeah, I hear you and agree, iLok also has its flaws and could be more flexible and user friendly. I for one hope that Pace feel the hot breath down their neck now that many developers take innitiatives for new licensing systems like the new one from Waves. And hopefully do something about it. For the moment i still prefer to use the iLok.

Many of us, and certainly those with plugins from more than let's say five developers, know that the whole plugin licensing system is a nightmare. You have many serial number systems from manufacturers that don't work the same way. You have the iLok, many different serial numbers systems, and then there are online registration systems like WLC and any USB key can now carry licenses as well. How will we keep track of it. I already have an Excel spreadsheet with all my plugins and their licensing systems. I thank God for the iLok because without it my Excel spreadsheet would be at least three times as big.

The problem with the trend of plugin developers creating their own licensing system is that it becomes a hassle to carry your license with you and transfer work from one studio or one workstation to another. And what about re-installing them when upgrading to a new computer? Or even worse if you also work as a professional trainer (like I do) and have a classroom where you want to install licenses of many different plugin developers on 20 computers with iloks, serial numbers et cetera. Many plugin developers still don't sell multi-user license like they do in the graphic design business (Photoshop, indesign etc). So you can imagine the agony.

You see, it all becomes way too fragmented. Despite its flaws at least the ilok is a system that congregates all your licenses on one device. That's what I love about it. I also like the WLC and maybe Pace can combine their iLok with an online system like Waves' WLC so you can either use the ilok or an online system.

Anyway my big wish is that we one day have ONE independent general system for all our licenses that is easy to use, easy to install on different devices and not a PITA when you lose a license or your device gets destroyed or stolen. An insurance and an instant retrieval system would be a good solution for that system as long as it is not an obligation for those that don't make money with their plugins and see no use for an insurance. Pace could learn a few things from Waves' WLC on the license retrieval system. With the current trend I see my wish of an independent, safe and easy to use system slowly dissolving into thin air. At least the ilok is/was a system in the right direction.

As songwriters, producers and engineers I believe we Gearslutz, like no others, understand that plugin developers want to protect their intellectual property. I just want to ask them, please do it in a way that is as transparent and friendly as possible to your customers that spend their hard earned cash on your fantastic products.

Sorry for the long rant Slutz, and if you read this far, thanks for reading it.
+ 200000

Now time for a plugocide ......i'm gonna finish projects and get rid of a lot of plugins and keep one or 2 brands ...same for Vsti's ....and keep em on studio just to be able to open old projects ....

MySpace : http://www.myspace.com/zoakajeezo

YouTube Channel : http://www.youtube.com/user/ZozillaT...t?feature=mhee

Cutthroat to the bone !

"People became used to use money they do not have to buy things they do not need to impress others who do not care"
19th March 2012
Old 19th March 2012
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by studioprojekt View Post
I'm new with Waves. In my account I have 2 Waves plugins and Update Plan End Date:

Kramer Master Tape - 6/1/2012

L2 Ultramaximizer - 1/9/2013

When I click "update" it says: "There is no update version currently available. Please contact with the tech support". I'v click tech support, but can't send a question with v9 update problem (onle v8).

Can someone explain do I need to buy WUP or doing something wrong ? Should I click "upgrade" ?

Regards,

Pawel
I think it something with cookies, cause when I delete all cookies in browser each time after I've updated a license, the next one works fine immediately. Before it still didn't works after 10 times clicking on it....
19th March 2012
Old 19th March 2012
Gear addict

The eagle has landed! Been waiting a long time for this day!
19th March 2012
Old 19th March 2012
Gear nut

in waves tech specs page it says you need at least osx 10.6.8 to run v9
anyone tried to install them on 10.6.7?
19th March 2012
Old 19th March 2012
Gear interested

Just a short tip for those who see their hard disk appear as "Untitled" in WLC:

On the left side under "Connected Devices", just hit the small pencil icon right next to "Untitled". This way you can give any connected device a personalized name (which must not necessarily reflect the name of the device itself).
Attached Thumbnails
Waves NLS & 64 bit (v9)-screenshot_02.jpg  
19th March 2012
Old 19th March 2012
Lives for gear

As asked before, what happens to the V6/7/8 licenses on my iLok when I upgrade to V9. Surely, they do not stay there? Then, I could sell them for, like a few €'s...

www.worldstudios.se
19th March 2012
Old 19th March 2012
Lives for gear

I updated one of my Waves plugins to V9 and it seems to run just fine on my computer. I don't use my plugins anywhere else, so activation within a single computer is just fine. I also wonder what will happen to the iLok asset of that same plugin, however...
19th March 2012
Old 19th March 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by World Studios View Post
As asked before, what happens to the V6/7/8 licenses on my iLok when I upgrade to V9. Surely, they do not stay there? Then, I could sell them for, like a few €'s...
I want to know the answer to this too... anyone?
19th March 2012
Old 19th March 2012
Gear addict

Can someone confirm the weird mousewheel behavior I have with 10.7.3 and Waves v9 (Mighty Mouse)?

up down is fine, left right seems mirrored. Tried Q10 and C6
19th March 2012
Old 19th March 2012
Gear interested

When you open the WOLI_V9 app, how long is it supposed to say "Gathering information..."? Here it looks a little like it's stuck.

ADDITION: The installer app on their website doesn't work on Lion.
19th March 2012
Old 19th March 2012
Lives for gear

Talking Is it just me...

Anyone else think the old 32 bit (V8) plugs sounded better than these new 64 bit ones
"You only have a certain amount of headroom with Pro Tools... if you start pushing it a little bit too hard it's starts squawking like a chicken, if you go too low, it starts squawkin', you have to work within a certain realm otherwise you get zapped either way!" - Tad Donley (2006)
-
19th March 2012
Old 19th March 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by MannyTheAvatar View Post
I want to know the answer to this too... anyone?
They are removed (or de-activated) from the ilok before you complete the upgrade process... So, essentially they will no longer exist..
Gear Sales - High Profile Audio
Plugin Deals - PluginDiscounts
PluginDiscounts Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/PluginDiscounts
PluginDiscounts Twitter: https://twitter.com/PluginDiscounts
19th March 2012
Old 19th March 2012
Lives for gear

Tony is it still possible to buy V8 plugins ?
19th March 2012
Old 19th March 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeezo View Post
Tony is it still possible to buy V8 plugins ?
Yes. But, NLS will only be a V9 plugin.
19th March 2012
Old 19th March 2012
Lives for gear

By the way is the codemeter key works ? i remember beeing able to open and explore it like a regular usb key so maybe it would work .....
19th March 2012
Old 19th March 2012
Lives for gear

Just checking a sig problem
19th March 2012
Old 19th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBelmont View Post
Yes. But, NLS will only be a V9 plugin.
Cool , for how long it will be possible to buy , use V8 installer ?

Also do you have any infos of the use of ilok for V9 ? any way to have authorisation for 2 systems without dongle ?
19th March 2012
Old 19th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBelmont View Post
They are removed from the ilok before you complete the upgrade process... So, essentially they will no longer exist..
No in my case, as of yet...
19th March 2012
Old 19th March 2012

Quote:
I don't know... for the foreseeable future, but they are going to want to get people up to V9. You need to specifically request a downgraded license.

Quote:
any way to have authorisation for 2 systems without dongle ?
I don't believe so.
19th March 2012
Old 19th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by poshook View Post
My WUP for Platinum expired yesterday .... no more waves for me...
I sent a small wish to waves I could have WUP one day longer.... they kindly make my WUP one day longer.

BIG THNX WAVES!
19th March 2012
Old 19th March 2012
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to mattrixx Send a message via Skype™ to mattrixx
Quote:
Originally Posted by @l3x!5 View Post
Most probably.
Now that you mention it, I remember renaming the drive for convenience using the drawing pencil icon prior to operate the licenses transfer.
Yeah, just had confirmation from WAVES about this... All good!
19th March 2012
Old 19th March 2012
Gear maniac

1. With v8 (jbridged to 64bit) in Cubase 6 64 bit I had a Waves folder and there were my all Waves plugins. Now they are in VSTplugins/Distorsion and VSTplugins/Dynamics folder with I dont like. What shall I do for back them to one folder VSTplugins/Waves ?

2. I dont like to hold licences on USB drive. I want to use Hard Drive. But no luck. When I send them to HDD and disable internet connection it says no licences ! Do I have a internet connection permamently to use Waves plugins ? I don't want to use internet connection on my DAW computer :( Its slow down PC with must install firewall, antivirus and netcard itself...

Oh dear...

:(

Repliee - producer & remixer
www.soundcloud.com/repliee

http://soundcloud.com/repliee/candy-girl-dj-adamus-just-do
19th March 2012
Old 19th March 2012
Gear interested

Not a very impressive experience so far. The V9 installer app on their website doesn't work on Lion. The Lion compatible installer I was directed to on an ftp server doesn't work either - it doesn't have privileges to install the necessary files and there's no way of authorizing it.
19th March 2012
Old 19th March 2012
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to jbrown1music
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomaskyhn View Post
Not a very impressive experience so far. The V9 installer app on their website doesn't work on Lion. The Lion compatible installer I was directed to on an ftp server doesn't work either - it doesn't have privileges to install the necessary files and there's no way of authorizing it.
Thats wierd. Worked like a charm for me. I downloaded my v9 plugs right on lion from the waves website. I was up and running in less then 30 minutes. Also the licenses on a cloud concept is not as difficult as every is making it. I rather them be on the cloud then have to download to another form of dongle
19th March 2012
Old 19th March 2012
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown1music View Post
Thats wierd. Worked like a charm for me. I downloaded my v9 plugs right on lion from the waves website. I was up and running in less then 30 minutes. Also the licenses on a cloud concept is not as difficult as every is making it. I rather them be on the cloud then have to download to another form of dongle
Strange. Still haven't got it working. At least Waves Support answers emails relatively fast.
19th March 2012
Old 19th March 2012
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown1music View Post
Worked perfect for me as well, on OSX Lion. I updated Gold, Studio Classics, InPhase, KMT & H-EQ in about 30 minutes this morning. All V9 plugs worked in Logic 9 & Pro Tools 10.

On a side note if you received a free plug (GTR3 for Gold) you need to install that with the V9 installer but there will not be a separate authorization, seems it was already imbedded in the V9 Gold authorization.

Also there is no trace of the V8 stuff left, looks like V9 completely replaced it.

Mike
19th March 2012
Old 19th March 2012
Lives for gear

Thks Tony .....
19th March 2012
Old 19th March 2012
Lives for gear

I updated on my studio imac and was nervous when some updates seemed to be unavailable. Trying the update option a second or third time they worked, strange! The V8 plug I didn't upgrade (only AudioTrack who's WUP expired last month) still work with my ilok. Not sure why there is no update all option, seems needlessly complex to have to update all individually.
19th March 2012
Old 19th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:

Also do you have any infos of the use of ilok for V9 ? any way to have authorisation for 2 systems without dongle ?
No, not without any dongle. Yes, with 1 dongle...

- Install WLC and your Plugs on computer 1
- Put the licenses on a USB stick.
- remove the stick and put it in computer 2.
- Just install the plugins without WLC on computer 2. All plugs will work.
- Leave the stick in computer 2.
- Go to "recover licenses" in WLC on computer 1.
- move/force them from the stick (that is still in the other computer) to the HD as if the usb stick is lost/broken/etc.
- Your licenses are now on the HD of computer 1 so the plugs work without a dongle.
- The stick in Computer 2 will keep working untill you open WLC with the stick connected.

The pop window in the last procedure will tell you that you can only do that once per year. Makes sense, or you could create a whole bunch of licensed USB sticks. HOWEVER. If you retrieve the lost/broken USB stick (that, in this case isn't actually lost/broken) and connect it again, the licenses will be reset again. The USB stick will stop working, the licenses are still on you HD from comp 2, and the one year period is also RESET again. No harm done.

It's an obvious loophole that almost feels like they left on purpose. I have the stick connected to my Imac and the licenses are on my MBPs HD.

No idea if it works in your situation, but it might...
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search