Login / Register

Steven Slate debuts The RAVEN X1 Production Console
New Reply
Subscribe
25th January 2012
Old 25th January 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by travisbrown View Post
Though, they did lead off with, "To us it just looked liked a tricked out Argosy with Euph. controllers, so we couldn't figure out what Slate was doing."

such is the danger of not communicating efficiently! Slates company is excellent with great products - but all too often the communication to the market doesn't really tell us what things are!!
26th January 2012
Old 26th January 2012
Gear Head

Can't we all just agree to be happy that someone is finally MAKING the thing?

We dreamed and dreamed years ago, but nothing was done about it. Steven has simply taken all of the previous ideas and added a TON of his own with his team. We're all going to benefit here. The whole point of that thread years ago was to design the dream desk for a modern day DAW... I'm pretty sure someone like Steven Slate has the capability to do just that... so how about instead of accusing the guy of ripping off some sketch designs (of essentially an Argosy desk and a couple Euphonix/Avid controllers), we celebrate and offer generous support and feedback so that this dream can finally happen.

It's been a known fact that this market is in desperate need for a control surface "C-24 like" but keeping the analog old school desk feel, for the semi pro home studio. 32 channels is great. This is a market that Allen & Heath tried to tap into with the GSR-24, but I think this design is truly spot on for the future.

My one request is that it be considered to make room for dual monitors. I'm sorry but I've been mixing for SO LONG on dual monitors that I can't even imagine the thought of not having both my mix and edit windows on their own monitor. In fact, I use 2 24" monitors now, so I'm not sure that could be considered. If it makes the desk too wide, I don't even care. Go to a big time studio... you can't reach all the faders. You're not supposed to be able to. I'd rather the desk be bigger yet have dual monitors. But that's just me.

Anyway, looking forward to this very much! Funny because I've actually been considering the GSR-24 for a while now but I think I'm going to hold off. I just need to sell all my analog boards and make a budget to afford this thing.
26th January 2012
Old 26th January 2012
Lives for gear

What would also work for me is if they provide a module, like a desktop mixer,
so one could incorportate it in any custom-mode console.

The integrated analog functionality and routing capabilities is what makes it interesting.

Regards,
Dirk
26th January 2012
Old 26th January 2012
Lives for gear

Very well knowing that what I am about to post offers nothing constructive to this thread, and that it maybe offend one or two of you.......

I stood near "Steven Slate" (I think its his given name) at the NAMM show and listened to him speak.

I was SHOCKED to learn that, the voice in the videos on the slate digital website are all 100% authentic Steven Slate.... I was stunned!!!!

I thought the voices on those videos were pitched, robo-fied, sub-harmonized... But No! This man has the deep, thick, gritty voice of a male Adonis.....

And that alone is why Steven Slate's Raven desk is awesome...

Furthermore, congrats to the Slate Team, their Namm booth was just JAMMED all week. I was lucky enough to be within ear shot and hear what was going on, because actually touching the desk was just impossible. I passed by the booth at least 7-8 times..... JAMMED!!!
26th January 2012
Old 26th January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by passenger View Post

I stood near "Steven Slate" (I think its his given name) at the NAMM show and listened to him speak.

I was SHOCKED to learn that, the voice in the videos on the slate digital website are all 100% authentic Steven Slate.... I was stunned!!!!

I thought the voices on those videos were pitched, robo-fied, sub-harmonized... But No! This man has the deep, thick, gritty voice of a male Adonis.....
I think someone has a crush...
26th January 2012
Old 26th January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
I think someone has a crush...
A Bromance

Sent from my PC36100 using Gearslutz.com
26th January 2012
Old 26th January 2012
Lives for gear

LOL

Accusations of industrial espionage - arguments - a love interest.

What next, a drugs scandal?

tht
26th January 2012
Old 26th January 2012
x86 Moderator

My Recordings/Credits

Send a message via Skype™ to George Necola
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirkB View Post
What would also work for me is if they provide a module, like a desktop mixer,
so one could incorportate it in any custom-mode console.

The integrated analog functionality and routing capabilities is what makes it interesting.

Regards,
Dirk
try SmartAVtango with a Tango sterling modular desk + summingbox.

hei ho..
26th January 2012
Old 26th January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehightenor View Post
LOL

Accusations of industrial espionage - arguments - a love interest.

What next, a drugs scandal?

tht
AHA, GS!! More interesting than real life.
26th January 2012
Old 26th January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks.

I saw the picture first here, and then walked by the Slate booth. I didn't talk to anyone there. I'm sorry it wasn't that obvious to you.

To be fair, people's perception of the product is likely based on what they wanted to see or expected. I saw the picture, recognized that it's an Argosy desk and Euphonix controllers with a couple stacks of Slate comps and pres on the sides, so the remaining centrepiece must be the new Slate product in situ.

If you didn't recognize the Argosy or Euphonix components, then I do understand how one might think the whole ensemble was the product. I was talking with some of the pro audio guys at the local dealer this morning and mentioned I'd seen the Raven at NAMM and they had had the same idea of many here, that the whole ensemble was the Raven. Though, they did lead off with, "To us it just looked liked a tricked out Argosy with Euph. controllers, so we couldn't figure out what Slate was doing."
I recognized the components, it was his comments about being a third party re-seller for avid and argosy that sparked my confusion (aka everything came with it and they were just a third party reseller)
26th January 2012
Old 26th January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonGherkins View Post
I recognized the components, it was his comments about being a third party re-seller for avid and argosy that sparked my confusion (aka everything came with it and they were just a third party reseller)
Ah, see, that's what I thought made things clear.

Makes sense that they'd be resellers. If you wanted to purchase a big desk setup, they could put together a working and tested package. Less uncertainty, lead time to commission, made to order. This isn't so unlike the days when you'd order a build-in console and configure your fader packs, your patchbays, automation and monitoring section, bridge and trim. The supplying manufacturer only really built the mixer parts and assembled it for you.

Anyway, you didn't have to get specifically derisive.
26th January 2012
Old 26th January 2012
Slate Pro Audio / Slate Digital

Hello fellas! We have nearly completely the redesign of the Raven X1, and it incorporates so many user requests including:

having the faders, mouse, keyboard, display, talkback, main volume, speaker selection, source selection all in the "hot zone"

having dual monitors, even dual 27"s

having custom configurations for composers with midi keyboard controllers

and some more stuff that you'll find out soon. I just wish I could snap my fingers and get my Neotek out of here so I can start using this thing!!!

As for my voice, I was unaware it was a hot topic, but I'll talk to Fabrice about a plugin that models it if there is enough demand.

Cheers,
Steven

www.slatedigital.com
www.stevenslatedrums.com
www.slateproaudio.com
SLATE SUPPORT:
www.slatedigital.com/support

I DO NOT CHECK PM's! Please EMAIL ME instead NON TECH SUPPORT Questions to slate@stevenslate.com

Follow us @ www.twitter.com/slateproaudio
26th January 2012
Old 26th January 2012
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by passenger View Post
Very well knowing that what I am about to post offers nothing constructive to this thread, and that it maybe offend one or two of you.......

Ha...if you thought hearing him speak was cool, check out the last minute or so of this video!

-e.B
26th January 2012
Old 26th January 2012
Lives for gear

Steve, can you create a sliding shelf that would hold an 88-not keyboard controller underneath? That and dual 27" monitors would a be dream setup.

Sean Christopher Dockery

www.SeanDockery.com

Sean Christopher - New Age composer

www.SeanChristopher.net

Windows 7 & Cubase 7

INTEL|CORE I7 980X 3.33G, 12G CORSAIR DDR3, SSD 160G|OCZ for OS.
26th January 2012
Old 26th January 2012
Lives for gear

Wow, he's like the perfect commercial rock singer.
27th January 2012
Old 27th January 2012
Gear maniac

you should've put a fader section into the middle of the console so you're not always forced to move out of the sweet spot for balancing...

apart from that: k to the iller
27th January 2012
Old 27th January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind View Post
you should've put a fader section into the middle of the console so you're not always forced to move out of the sweet spot for balancing...

You might want to read his last post
Steven Slate
27th January 2012
Old 27th January 2012
Slate Pro Audio / Slate Digital

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind View Post

Totally agree, its been implemented. The new design is really fantastic, and there are quite a bit of other new ideas in the works. I can't wait to run a session with this console. It's gonna be slick!

Cheers,
Steven
27th January 2012
Old 27th January 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Slate View Post
Totally agree, its been implemented. The new design is really fantastic, and there are quite a bit of other new ideas in the works. I can't wait to run a session with this console. It's gonna be slick!

Cheers,
Steven
I dig the ideas. I can firmly say it wont be in my budget in 2012, but it would solve a lot of my work flow issues too, and just look awesome too :P
Which is important. Depending how this year goes I'd be thinking about it seriously in 2013.

My two big issues in the studio at the moment are: Reliable interface. Reliable effective monitoring. I'm sick of "making do" and finding workarounds.

However how would you accommodate people that have their screen low and at an angle? I hate looking up to where the phantom image seems to be "coming from" and seeing a DAW with pretty colours and lights!

Since I put my screen down low I don't have to keep turning it off to really listen to a mix properly. It's pretty crucial for me now.

www.MidasTouchStudios.com.au

My little recording studio in Perth, Western Australia.
Check out the link to hear some of my work!
27th January 2012
Old 27th January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by e.Blue View Post
Ha...if you thought hearing him speak was cool, check out the last minute or so of this video!

-e.B
Ha ha! - Steven Buble (without the Autotune!).
27th January 2012
Old 27th January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
I just wish I could snap my fingers and get my Neotek out of here so I can start using this thing!!!

Cheers,
Steven
Don't forget to model it for VCC first, before getting rid of it.

Secondly, how much you selling it for (your Neotek)????
27th January 2012
Old 27th January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantum7 View Post
Steve, can you create a sliding shelf that would hold an 88-not keyboard controller underneath? That and dual 27" monitors would a be dream setup.
If he does...will you promise to read a little closer? From a couple posts above yours...AND from the very source...

Quote:
We have nearly completely the redesign of the Raven X1, and it incorporates so many user requests including:

having the faders, mouse, keyboard, display, talkback, main volume, speaker selection, source selection all in the "hot zone"

having dual monitors, even dual 27"s

having custom configurations for composers with midi keyboard controllers...

Cheers,
Steven

I kid mofo...had a long day where people just weren't paying attention to detail, and it cost me time, effort and unnecessary frustration. Chillin' with a beer, and now this!

28th January 2012
Old 28th January 2012
Gear maniac

If something could be added to the surface material of the desk that would reduce comb filtering drastically, I would buy this for my tracking room in a heartbeat
28th January 2012
Old 28th January 2012
Gear Head

Might as well go ahead and stick an ATM machine in it
28th January 2012
Old 28th January 2012
Lives for gear

Who the fak is Whitecat...and why did he delete my...chastising of a moron...post?

Oh...I see now. Thanks "community" guy/girl/person. Your response time is incredible!
29th January 2012
Old 29th January 2012
x86 Moderator

My Recordings/Credits

AW: Steven Slate debuts The RAVEN X1 Production Console

I want your neotek. How much? Elan? Elite?

Gesendet von meinem GT-I9100 mit Tapatalk
---------------------------------------------
www.georgenecola.com produce & mix itm/gear & fun

blog.georgenecola.com reviews & gear
29th January 2012
Old 29th January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realtugs View Post
If he does...will you promise to read a little closer? From a couple posts above yours...AND from the very source...

I kid mofo...had a long day where people just weren't paying attention to detail, and it cost me time, effort and unnecessary frustration. Chillin' with a beer, and now this!

DOH!!!! I have to start reading the entire thread before posting. Good news, though, on those options.
29th January 2012
Old 29th January 2012
Gear Guru

My Recordings/Credits

The mention of 'console' in the thread title is misleading. It took me a couple of days to finally figure out that this is not a new console design, but a controller with monitoring. It is a DAW controlling desk, but not a console, per say.

That should have been spelled out up front.
29th January 2012
Old 29th January 2012
x86 Moderator

My Recordings/Credits

AW: Steven Slate debuts The RAVEN X1 Production Console

Quote:
The mention of 'console' in the thread title is misleading. It took me a couple of days to finally figure out that this is not a new console design, but a controller with monitoring. It is a DAW controlling desk, but not a console, per say.

That should have been spelled out up front.
Steven Slate claims his plugins perfectly emulate a console. With the argosy dedk + faderpack he claims that you (and I) don't need a console anymore. We can buy his stuff and feel totally happy till the end of our days.

Gesendet von meinem GT-I9100 mit Tapatalk
29th January 2012
Old 29th January 2012
Lives for gear

Aaaahh..
Don't be so grumpy

About the "console".
Not having hardware control for plugins is just plain unforgivable.
Ipad/touch control for plugins is idiotic and my guess is that we will look back at it as the eighties for daw controlling.
As I see it it contradicts the whole concept of needing external plugin control..
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search