16th February 2012
Old 16th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Vulture View Post
I am everyone
Not

Let´s just see how it goes.
I believe slate is out of his league on this one.
But it remains to see..

My 2 cents.
Wrong marked, wrong price.
Well Mr bald, spinelessly-slouching, carrion devouring bird...

I don't believe you would have change left from a $100 bill with the amount of 2 cents you've dropped...over and over and over again. We get it...you're a dinosaur...wrong markeT indeed.

Why not just piss off and troll out another thread/site for a little while now? This is gearslutz...smearslutz is one more over...they're waiting for you...go quick.

ps...

Quote:
I am everyone
You're NO one!
16th February 2012
Old 16th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
I believe slate is out of his league on this one.
Hmm. Ten seconds ago you didn't even know that Slate manufactured boutique gear, yet you continue to opine. And since he's at the top of his league in both hardware and software....

If you are proved right you probably should chalk it up to a lucky gamble, not on any prescience.

I think there are now a few here who probably now don't really care what you believe since you have continuously through this thread proved yourself a dolt. What's your endgame?
16th February 2012
Old 16th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by travisbrown View Post
Hmm. Ten seconds ago you didn't even know that Slate manufactured boutique gear, yet you continue to opine. And since he's at the top of his league in both hardware and software....

If you are proved right you probably should chalk it up to a lucky gamble, not on any prescience.

I think there are now a few here who probably now don't really care what you believe since you have continuously through this thread proved yourself a dolt. What's your endgame?
Hmmm
After the last discussion with Steven on these forums I got curious and bouught 2x sets of all his plugins (he was running a %0% off sale at the time.) I let my engineers decide (and clients too). We have a couple of great consoles and lots of outboard.
Steven was alluding to his plugins being close to replacement for most hardware consoles... Well, it is far from coming close. The responces so far: " not a bad plugin", "Can we stop waisting time and get into the console"...
I like his drum related plugins, but will reserve y thopughts on the other plugins in order not to stir passions here.
Steven is apassionate guy, I respect that. He is also an agressive businessmen and that comes first. The results could be interpreted as misleading. And for a professional like him it is somewhat disappointing.
Plugins are good for the things pluins are good for. Not as a replacement of a good analogue setup.

Sorry, just my $.02
16th February 2012
Old 16th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuri Kogan View Post
...but will reserve y thopughts on the other plugins in order not to stir passions here.
Que?
Quote:
Sorry, just my $.02
Where do you guys get all these spare $.02? Got a source?
16th February 2012
Old 16th February 2012
Quote:
You don't work in the real world. I don't think I've done a single session over the past couple of years where no one has hooked up an iPhone to listen to demos or references. Not only artists, but A&R guys and managers as well. And I'm talking about multi platinum level people here. It would be stupid to NOT include this.
Dr Bill - (edited - Oops sorry Dr Bill - this quote was from BB Bill : apologies are in order) I have appreciated your insights but I am surprised to read that you a suggesting someone is not working in the "real world" simply because they do not see the need for iphones on this product. I work with platinum record guys as well and have my own and that does not make me or them suddenly want to use iphone playback in the studio. I don't think everyone works like you or has your clients. If this device is being built for platinum record guys I think they would rather see an analog board anyway so that is not the target market imo.

I get lots of mp3 files sent to me but I always have a way to listen to phones and such through the board. But a dock suggests an actual place to maybe charge the device or even connect it to a computer which seems foolish to me as computer technology changes at the speed of light and whatever dock is there will become obsolete. It's just a matter of time. To have a 1/4" plug is not a dock in my book but simply an audio connection and is all that is needed. Any patch-bay will allow for such playback so whats the big deal anyway?

I am leery of software driven expensive products relying on computers that change - especially Apple which has little regard for the professional community imo. Ipods will change and maybe the operating system will not support the slate software and the company has moved on to other things - be it the next version or caned it. This happened to me with TC Powercore being discontinued and no upgrade path to new operating systems so its just a matter of time and it will be obsolete. The Powercore 6000 was over $6000.00 and it will be useless to me someday:(

I feel like this product has an ergonomic problem in using an ipad as an input device. For me they are frustrating as the flat surface can seem inaccurate and jumpy (depends on the temperature of your fingers) and is hard to see at a glance. You need to have your fingers in the exact correct location (which is blocked from view by your fingers) which cannot be felt like a real knob. For me the audio board is like a real musical instrument that I can play fast and free and my hands go to the correct place automatically and get the results expected (some days I am mixing for 10 hours + so this is a big deal). Playing a very small midi like flat instrument which you have to look at carefully to get expected results and maybe need to go through pages to get to where you want or also interact with another computer seems imo like an infuriating way to work.

Being able to change 2 things at once is normal on a board and often needed and impossible on a computer (at least on my computers!).

I am a composer, musician, producer and engineer and the feel of a 3 dimension instrument, be it a guitar, trumpet or audio console is what gives the performance its feel and for me spirit. When a client can see the whole mix on the board in front of them and can hear the results it adds an understanding of what is happening. This also gives immediate power to change it as it all there visually in real time.

If I had not already invested in a 550 point patch bay with a large board and lots of outboard gear I would be interested in this product but i still do not see many advantages and some disadvantages. Most of the features to me are about looking cool ( ipad - cool for portable use but professional long term use? ) but in the end do not improve the sound of the final mix or work flow. We will see. I love and use many of Stevens Slates products and I really appreciate his business ethics, creativity and tenacity. If anyone can make this possible white elephant actually work it would be him and his (overworked - hope not) team but if he decides it's not its time, I would still have utmost respect for him and look forward to his next big idea!
16th February 2012
Old 16th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioSoundzz View Post
Dr Bill - I have appreciated your insights but I am surprised to read that you a suggesting someone is not working in the "real world" simply because they do not see the need for iphones on this product. I work with platinum record guys as well and have my own and that does not make me or them suddenly want to use iphone playback in the studio. I don't think everyone works like you or has your clients. If this device is being built for platinum record guys I think they would rather see an analog board anyway so that is not the target market imo.

I get lots of mp3 files sent to me but I alway have a way to listen to phones and such through the board. But a dock suggests an actual place to maybe charge the device or even connect it to a computer which seems foolish to me as computer technology changes at the speed of light and whatever dock is there will become obsolete. It's just a matter of time. To have a 1/4" plug is not a dock in my book but simply an audio connection and is all that is needed. Any patch-bay will allow for such playback so whats the big deal anyway?

I am leery of software driven expensive products relying on computers that change - especially Apple which has little regard for the professional community imo. Ipods will change and maybe the operating system will not support the slate software and the company has moved on to other things - be it the next version or caned it. This happened to me with TC Powercore being discontinued and no upgrade path to new operating systems so its just a matter of time and it will be obsolete. The Powercore 6000 was over $6000.00 and it will be useless to me someday:(

I feel like this product has an ergonomic problem in using an ipad as an input device. For me they are frustrating as the flat surface can seem inaccurate and jumpy (depends on the temperature of your fingers) and is hard to see at a glance. You need to have your fingers in the exact correct location (which is blocked from view by your fingers) which cannot be felt like a real knob. For me the audio board is like a real musical instrument that I can play fast and free and my hands go to the correct place automatically and get the results expected (some days I am mixing for 10 hours + so this is a big deal). Playing a very small midi like flat instrument which you have to look at carefully to get expected results and maybe need to go through pages to get to where you want or also interact with another computer seems imo like an infuriating way to work.

Being able to change 2 things at once is normal on a board and often needed and impossible on a computer (at least on my computers!).

I am a composer, musician, producer and engineer and the feel of a 3 dimension instrument, be it a guitar, trumpet or audio console is what gives the performance its feel and for me spirit. When a client can see the whole mix on the board in front of them and can hear the results it adds an understanding of what is happening. This also gives immediate power to change it as it all there visually in real time.

If I had not already invested in a 550 point patch bay with a large board and lots of outboard gear I would be interested in this product but i still do not see many advantages and some disadvantages. Most of the features to me are about looking cool ( ipad - cool for portable use but professional long term use? ) but in the end do not improve the sound of the final mix or work flow. We will see. I love and use many of Stevens Slates products and I really appreciate his business ethics, creativity and tenacity. If anyone can make this possible white elephant actually work it would be him and his (overworked - hope not) team but if he decides it's not its time, I would still have utmost respect for him and look forward to his next big idea!
One of the first critical posts in a long while in this thread consisting of valid points.

BTW the guy you quoted isn't Dr Bill.
Steven Slate
16th February 2012
Old 16th February 2012
Slate Pro Audio / Slate Digital

Quote:
Hmmm
After the last discussion with Steven on these forums I got curious and bouught 2x sets of all his plugins (he was running a %0% off sale at the time.) I let my engineers decide (and clients too). We have a couple of great consoles and lots of outboard.
Steven was alluding to his plugins being close to replacement for most hardware consoles... Well, it is far from coming close. The responces so far: " not a bad plugin", "Can we stop waisting time and get into the console"...
I like his drum related plugins, but will reserve y thopughts on the other plugins in order not to stir passions here.
Steven is apassionate guy, I respect that. He is also an agressive businessmen and that comes first. The results could be interpreted as misleading. And for a professional like him it is somewhat disappointing.
Plugins are good for the things pluins are good for. Not as a replacement of a good analogue setup.

Sorry, just my $.02
Hi Yuri. I didn't actually say the VCC is a close replacement to an analog desk.. I said it is a flat out total replacement. At least in terms of sonics. Frankly, I've done too many blind A/B sessions of the VCC verse the real consoles with too many pros for this to even be a debate any more, at least to me. I sound like a broken record here, but time and time again, people are unable to pick the real desks from the emulation during a properly calibrated blind test. Everyone can always identify the ITB mix without the emulation. And now that even classic albums like the Beach Boys "SMILE" were mixed in the box with the VCC, I was hoping we could put this whole "I need a console because of the sound" thing to rest.

I'll make you or anyone else the same offer I made Jim Williams.. if you can pick out the console sum from the ITB/VCC sum on three or four different mixes, I'll make you the new owner of the Slate companies. Should be easy right? Because the emulations aren't even close? Because if you think I'm misleading, I'd like the chance to prove you wrong. As you said, I'm a passionate guy about this stuff and I'll stand behind what I say.

Quote:
Dr Bill - I have appreciated your insights but I am surprised to read that you a suggesting someone is not working in the "real world" simply because they do not see the need for iphones on this product. I work with platinum record guys as well and have my own and that does not make me or them suddenly want to use iphone playback in the studio. I don't think everyone works like you or has your clients. If this device is being built for platinum record guys I think they would rather see an analog board anyway so that is not the target market imo.
Hey brother! I don't understand what you mean by this... do platinum record guys not have iphones that they store their music on? I know quite a lot of these types of fellas, and they certainly have played me mixes off their phone and transferred them to my studio.

Does anyone here still have clients that come in with CD's? I haven't bought CD-R's in at least two months. Because no one asks for CD's anymore. Clients plug their iphones in via USB and I give them the mixes for referencing. Or they tell me to pull something up on youtube.

As for analog boards... why? We're audio engineers, so we're supposed to be forward thinking technically advanced people here. So why would anyone want to use 30 or 40 yea old analog designs that don't even come close to providing the proper workflow of a modern DAW studio? Because they are old? Because they are big and look cool? Because they make it difficult to interface with a modern DAW? Because they have noisy carbon pots and need constant maintenance just to run?

The analog board was built for a different time. Years ago I would have said that they were at the very least necessary for the nonlinear dynamic tone they provide, but as you can probably assume, that's no longer an issue in my opinion. I've been making the best sounding records of my career mixing all ITB. I'm sold on digital mixing now. My analog console is a big boat anchor in the middle of my studio. I'm counting down the days till I get the Raven X1 in there so I can work so much more efficiently. I wanna get with the times.

Quote:
Well I appreciate that while you're not sure about the concept, that you at least are gonna give me a chance here!!

You've got your thing with your board and your gear. I respect that. I know where you're coming from. I got a board. I got gear. I dig it.

But the workflow sucks for me. Recalls suck even worse. Compared to just double clicking the project file and knowing it's the exact same sound as I left it.. man.. nothing compares to that. But it always sounded like shit so I made it my mission to fix that problem. And I'm still fixing it. The tape machine plugin that I'm about to drop is the next step... Now I'm not only mixing through a virtual SSL desk, but I'm also tracking to a virtual Studer 2" 16 track and mixing down to a virtual 1/2" deck doing 15ips. I'm living the dream.

So back to the Raven here... this is the thing that ties it all together. This will allow you to sit down in your studio to track, mix, and master with a workflow and efficiency that will be unrivaled.

When you guys see what we've been up to with the Raven X1 since NAMM, it's gonna be a bit shocking. But for the guys who get it, it'll be amazing. And for the guys who won't get it.. and you're out there.. well, I think you're gonna have to get it soon or you might get left behind. That's my honest opinion, not me trying to be a cheeky asshole here.. That goes for my entire post.. these are my points of view and I apologize if they come off as insulting to anyone, its not my intention.

In another week I'll reveal the new console. It's the most exciting thing I've ever been a part of. This has been a great discussion here, I appreciate it guys.

Cheers,
Steven
16th February 2012
Old 16th February 2012
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Slate View Post
As for analog boards... why? We're audio engineers, so we're supposed to be forward thinking technically advanced people here. So why would anyone want to use 30 or 40 yea old analog designs that don't even come close to providing the proper workflow of a modern DAW studio? Because they are old? Because they are big and look cool? Because they make it difficult to interface with a modern DAW? Because they have noisy carbon pots and need constant maintenance just to run?

The analog board was built for a different time. Years ago I would have said that they were at the very least necessary for the nonlinear dynamic tone they provide, but as you can probably assume, that's no longer an issue in my opinion. I've been making the best sounding records of my career mixing all ITB. I'm sold on digital mixing now. My analog console is a big boat anchor in the middle of my studio. I'm counting down the days till I get the Raven X1 in there so I can work so much more efficiently. I wanna get with the times.

Cheers,
Steven
Hear, hear!
16th February 2012
Old 16th February 2012
Lives for gear

Subscribing.
16th February 2012
Old 16th February 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Washington View Post
Subscribing.
You don't need to tell us about it...
16th February 2012
Old 16th February 2012
Steven, I will not question your personal opinion that the VCC is the exact same as the real recording console. My extensive tests with a Trident console show different results but I do not use a console only for summing tracks - don't think anyone does. 99% of my outboard gear has NO equivalent in the plug-in world. I have 4 stereo tube pre-amps (soon to be 6) and 2 stereo tube compressors and 2 stereo tube eq units that I side chain using the Trident. I hit some of them very hard level wise; the Sebatron Axis peaks at over +20db. Some tube units are chained to be 2 units which together creates 8 active tubes which equal 16 tubes elements used for just one stereo send and resulting return. The results I am getting are off the map great and unique and musical sounding and no plug comes close to emulating (and I have invested in a lot). This is why I am a very devoted hybrid guy and see no end in sight. Granted I am exotic in my approach but it works wonders for me and is easy to set up with traditional tools. It looks like your design may allow (maybe as an option) for some outboard gear which would make us hybrid guys happier and leave some wiggle room for all the great analog gear out there that digital does not do as well or even not at all
16th February 2012
Old 16th February 2012
Gear maniac

ohh bummer..another week.. :P

Cant wait to see the updated Raven Steven. I guess we are all now a bit "fathers" of the thing So let me have my child!
16th February 2012
Old 16th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Steven, I will not question your personal opinion that the VCC is the exact same as the real recording console. My extensive tests with a Trident console show different results but I do not use a console only for summing tracks - don't think anyone does. 99% of my outboard gear has NO equivalent in the plug-in world. I have 4 stereo tube pre-amps (soon to be 6) and 2 stereo tube compressors and 2 stereo tube eq units that I side chain using the Trident. I hit some of them very hard level wise; the Sebatron Axis peaks at over +20db. Some tube units are chained to be 2 units which together creates 8 active tubes which equal 16 tubes elements used for just one stereo send and resulting return. The results I am getting are off the map great and unique and musical sounding and no plug comes close to emulating (and I have invested in a lot). This is why I am a very devoted hybrid guy and see no end in sight. Granted I am exotic in my approach but it works wonders for me and is easy to set up with traditional tools. It looks like your design may allow (maybe as an option) for some outboard gear which would make us hybrid guys happier and leave some wiggle room for all the great analog gear out there that digital does not do as well or even not at all
You can actually get great saturation results by slamming the VCC buss models. Not sure how it compare to the real thing, but it gives the track an overall sonic vibe which is dynamic. VCC helps the mix come alive vs clean ITB summing which we all know sounds pretty limp.

Having said that, I bet your setup sounds fvking incredible.

Do you have any audio you can link to? I would love to hear it.

(I tube things up a bit with a TC Rooster into a Drawmer 68me, so I probably have only a small glimmer of what is possible in this regard)..

16th February 2012
Old 16th February 2012
Quote:
You can actually get great saturation results by slamming the VCC buss models. Not sure how it compare to the real thing, but it gives the track an overall sonic vibe which is dynamic. VCC helps the mix come alive vs clean ITB summing which we all know sounds pretty limp.

Having said that, I bet your setup sounds fvking incredible.

Do you have any audio you can link to? I would love to hear it.

(I tube things up a bit with a TC Rooster into a Drawmer 68me, so I probably have only a small glimmer of what is possible in this regard)..
Yes - I use the VCC as well for some projects and am aware of saturating it which is a much different sound than what I am doing with tubes. I would rather not hijack this thread with my sound samples but I am considering doing a new thread discussing hybrid recording techniques with just that... Good suggestion.
16th February 2012
Old 16th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yes - I use the VCC as well for some projects and am aware of saturating it which is a much different sound than what I am doing with tubes. I would rather not hijack this thread with my sound samples but I am considering doing a new thread discussing hybrid recording techniques with just that... Good suggestion.
I'll keep an eye out for that thread.
16th February 2012
Old 16th February 2012
Gear nut

Steve

I'll say i can't wait for this thing. I'm pumped to get this thing. I'm selling my console at the moment so i can get it sooner rather than later.

If you have and i'm assuming you would take on board suggestions that have been put forward then this thing is going to be crazy!

To the critics.... I understand the reluctance to move forward but you know why drive a 67 mustang just cause its a classic and looks cool when you can get behind a new vette or similar! Still looks awesome, still sounds awesome but you have all the mod cons including a/c, cruise etc. It is exciting being part of the audio engineering revolution we are going through.

Thanks for the loan of .02c

Cheers JR
17th February 2012
Old 17th February 2012
Lives for gear

[QUOTE=Steven Slate;7569990]Hi Yuri. I didn't actually say the VCC is a close replacement to an analog desk.. I said it is a flat out total replacement. At least in terms of sonics. Frankly, I've done too many blind A/B sessions of the VCC verse the real consoles with too many pros for this to even be a debate any more, at least to me. I sound like a broken record here, but time and time again, people are unable to pick the real desks from the emulation during a properly calibrated blind test. Everyone can always identify the ITB mix without the emulation. And now that even classic albums like the Beach Boys "SMILE" were mixed in the box with the VCC, I was hoping we could put this whole "I need a console because of the sound" thing to rest.

I'll make you or anyone else the same offer I made Jim Williams.. if you can pick out the console sum from the ITB/VCC sum on three or four different mixes, I'll make you the new owner of the Slate companies. Should be easy right? Because the emulations aren't even close? Because if you think I'm misleading, I'd like the chance to prove you wrong. As you said, I'm a passionate guy about this stuff and I'll stand behind what I say.

Thanks Steven for the kind offer. I am not a betting man and would like you to keep your company. So I will decline.
However:
I can ask one of our artists to allow me to give you a mix of a song done on our SSL or a Tonelux/API hybrid. If you have the multitracks or stems I wonder if you can match the sonics and the feel of the "old and outdated" console with your plugins. It would be a learning experience for me and my engineers..
You can finetune anything to be indistinguishable. That proves nothing. Try matching analogue with your plugins - maybe we can learn something.
Steven Slate
17th February 2012
Old 17th February 2012

Yuri where are you located? If you're near one of the stops of our spring promo tour, then how about I stop by, zero out your SSL with some proper calibration tools, run a 32 channel mix from the DAW, then sum the same mix in the DAW using the VCC Brit 4K? Because without proper calibration, even a .3db difference in say, a kick drum channel, will make the test unfair.

Once we sum the mixes, I'll then chop the song up into four pieces and then we'll see if you can clearly point out which is the console and which is the ITB/VCC. SPOILER ALERT: You won't be able to

That is.. unless there is something really funky with your SSL. But I can already tell that you are the kind of guy who is meticulous about your gear so I bet it is in top condition, and therefore a good test.

EDIT: I just saw the Australia under your name.. that won't be on my spring tour but I'll get their soon enough.

Cheers,
Steven
17th February 2012
Old 17th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yuri where are you located? If you're near one of the stops of our spring promo tour, then how about I stop by, zero out your SSL with some proper calibration tools, run a 32 channel mix from the DAW, then sum the same mix in the DAW using the VCC Brit 4K? Because without proper calibration, even a .3db difference in say, a kick drum channel, will make the test unfair.

Once we sum the mixes, I'll then chop the song up into four pieces and then we'll see if you can clearly point out which is the console and which is the ITB/VCC. SPOILER ALERT: You won't be able to

That is.. unless there is something really funky with your SSL. But I can already tell that you are the kind of guy who is meticulous about your so I bet it is in top condition, and therefore a good test.

EDIT: I just saw the Australia under your name.. that won't be on my spring tour but I'll get their soon enough.

Cheers,
Steven
Steven
Unfortunately we are in Melbourne, Australia. You are always welcome to come buy though, we have a great studio, lots of toys best coffee (and cake) and french cogniac and russian vodka for the special guests (which seems to include every client so far - hmmmm).
Our ssl is pretty good, no mods and the cap replacements and such are as close to the oiginal as possible. The plasmas misbehave sometimes but dont they always :-).
Again would love to see you here and see if you can prove us wrong
Best,
Yury
17th February 2012
Old 17th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:

That is.. unless there is something really funky with your SSL. But I can already tell that you are the kind of guy who is meticulous about your gear so I bet it is in top condition, and therefore a good test.

Cheers,
Steven
WRT this methodology - we use our SSL more then just a summing mixer. We overdrive input stages, use dynamics and eq sections and funny routing which all contributes to the experience. So something has to be done to take that into account. This will illustrate diffrences in behaviour which i doubt you will be able to replicate with plugins

Best,
Yury
17th February 2012
Old 17th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
WRT this methodology - we use our SSL more then just a summing mixer. We overdrive input stages, use dynamics and eq sections and funny routing which all contributes to the experience. So something has to be done to take that into account. This will illustrate diffrences in behaviour which i doubt you will be able to replicate with plugins
Definitely agree with Yury on this one. The mojo you get from an SSL or any console for that matter is how you drive the console as a whole by using its EQs, Dyn, busses...etc. Simply summing 16-32 or whatever channels from a daw into a console does not show the true sound signature of the console at all.
Steven Slate
17th February 2012
Old 17th February 2012

We modeled the consoles DEEP into distortion, far more than anyone would actually drive them.

Therefore, you can drive the VCC channels and especially mixbuss and get a very authentic sounding saturation as per the desk that it is modeling.

For most rock productions, I drive the VCC 4k so that the mixbuss meter is completely pinned, and I soak up the extra output gain into a mixbuss compressor. It sounds amazing that way.

Same for Brit N Discrete.. I really slam it and get a lot of attitude and low end bigness.

Anyway, I'll hopefully have some more Raven news soon. We're working hard on it each day.

Steven
18th February 2012
Old 18th February 2012
Lives for gear

OMG!
Slate says his plugins is JUST AS GOOD as any analog console.
Dudes, this is getting just stupid..
He is even arrogant about it.

Incredible..

I am laughing way to hard now
18th February 2012
Old 18th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
I hate myself and wanna die!!!
Sorry that didn't work out for you. But...if at first you don't succeed...try and try again!

If losing were winning...dayum would Charlie Sheen be jealous of you.

I know, I know...don't feed the trolls. I'm sure this fool will be put on his way soon enough. Then we can spot him again when he comes back in his new form...again.
18th February 2012
Old 18th February 2012
Fortunately the golden rule of business my father taught me at a very young age "may the buyer beware" is echoing in my head. My heart and support for the Slate products has been there for some time, but flat out saying that the VCC replaces analog consoles with such a strong tone for me is a turn off. I am a strong believer in a product selling itself. I use the VCC and a real console and for me the VCC improves some of problems with digital but it is a far far cry from replacing analog. Unfortunately it is starting to seem like I am being talked down to and even yelled at by Mr. Slate with his opinion simply being the gospel truth and anyone who thinks otherwise is backwards, living in the past or simply stupid. I am not sure who this appeals to but I would not think industry professionals. I would like to humbly request some respect for your customers who can make their own decisions regarding the sound they like and the work flow that works best for them. For me a digital mix and analog mix sound different for so many more reason then simply VCC emulation summing it is a mute and futile argument to hang the death of analog on. Although I am forward thinking, their are industry tradition and standards for recording that have proven results. Imo, no one such invention will change anything overnight or maybe much at all, even more-so when it is being crammed down our collective throats.
18th February 2012
Old 18th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realtugs View Post
Sorry that didn't work out for you. But...if at first you don't succeed...try and try again!

If losing were winning...dayum would Charlie Sheen be jealous of you.

I know, I know...don't feed the trolls. I'm sure this fool will be put on his way soon enough. Then we can spot him again when he comes back in his new form...again.
Thank you.

I just believe hardware is somewhat superior still.
Slate shows some strange stuff in opinions.

As I said.
We`ll see...
18th February 2012
Old 18th February 2012
Lives for gear

Steven Slate
18th February 2012
Old 18th February 2012

Is it that odd to think that in 2012, we don't have the power and brains to recreate what an analog circuit is doing? Because we can. I've heard it. Today again, we did an A/B of a famous 2" 16 track tape machine and a plugin we are just completing that intends to emulate it's sound. And again, not one single person in the room, including Howie Weinberg, a mastering engineer with superman style ears and more platinum records than anyone I know, could firmly tell the real from the digital.

So yes, I'm arrogant in what I say. Because I've done a scientific test to prove it. And so I've proved it to my own ears, I've proven it to other professionals that I respect, and in the end.. I know that when I mix ITB using the emulations, the results are amazing.

I'm sorry AudioSoundzz if you think I'm demeaning you.. I can promise you that it's not my intentions.

But I'm not going to keep my mouth closed when there are still claims that nothing in the world can replace an analog signal path in terms of its sonic results. Because it's just not true anymore. And I'm not going to pretend its blasphemy to say that we can have the sound of analog recreated by digital algorithms. If you don't agree, that's fine. But I don't think it merits such controversy.

I've proven it at this very forum by posting blind A/B files, and it seems like I"ll have to do it again to drive the point home. If an analog desk clearly sounds better than ITB using console emulation, then it'll be easy to identify.

This industry is moving along with the digital revolution. You can either deny it, or make it work for you.. and you might find the results even better.

Cheers,
Steven
18th February 2012
Old 18th February 2012
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

Quote:
Fortunately the golden rule of business my father taught me at a very young age "may the buyer beware" is echoing in my head. My heart and support for the Slate products has been there for some time, but flat out saying that the VCC replaces analog consoles with such a strong tone for me is a turn off. I am a strong believer in a product selling itself. I use the VCC and a real console and for me the VCC improves some of problems with digital but it is a far far cry from replacing analog. Unfortunately it is starting to seem like I am being talked down to and even yelled at by Mr. Slate with his opinion simply being the gospel truth and anyone who thinks otherwise is backwards, living in the past or simply stupid. I am not sure who this appeals to but I would not think industry professionals. I would like to humbly request some respect for your customers who can make their own decisions regarding the sound they like and the work flow that works best for them. For me a digital mix and analog mix sound different for so many more reason then simply VCC emulation summing it is a mute and futile argument to hang the death of analog on. Although I am forward thinking, their are industry tradition and standards for recording that have proven results. Imo, no one such invention will change anything overnight or maybe much at all, even more-so when it is being crammed down our collective throats.
Boohoo!!! Cry me a river.

Have fun living in the past!
18th February 2012
Old 18th February 2012
Quote:
I've proven it at this very forum by posting blind A/B files, and it seems like I"ll have to do it again to drive the point home. If an analog desk clearly sounds better than ITB using console emulation, then it'll be easy to identify.

This industry is moving along with the digital revolution. You can either deny it, or make it work for you.. and you might find the results even better.
First of all imo you proved it to yourself and no one else (and you have reasons to be bias so it gives me pause). I think to get into a digital vs analog argument is not needed and a waste of energy. I use both together and their is a synergy in that which works for me. I like real knobs - navigating on a ipad is a pain on the fingers and eyes. Most people will agree after working 10 hours on one imo. Digital eq and compressors sound different than analog ones. The VCC Trident sounds different than my Trident. I have analog gear with NO plug equivalents. The list goes on and on so at the end of the day I will work hybrid as I can pick and choose the best tools for each song while people stuck in their only digital dogma or analog dogma are more limited. To me "forward thinking" is to be hybrid and not in a digital or analog dogma. They will coexist imo for the rest of all our lives so I will use the power and advantages of both.
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search