Universal Audio Apollo interface
Old 31st March 2012
Lives for gear

Found this video which shows the available buffer sizes on MacOSX:

And then a new video posted today

Recording sounds quite heavily unbalanced though one the right side. You can hear the compression working on live input though, which is something we haven't seen much of.
Old 31st March 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnkenn View Post
I'd REALLY be interested if they modeled some preamps...Even if it wasn't perfect, different flavors would be awesome...

Here's a screenpic that was on the Sweetwater site and promptly pulled down...Hopefully, it alludes to this...
Still wondering about that Screenshot.. suppose this is not in the current version of the console ? Would be smoking if it was a beta and the next thing would be some preamp models ( should be possible after they proved non linearity doing great stuff with tape plugs )

Old 1st April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Leaf View Post
What will happen with the Apollo when UAD-3 is here? Imagine sitting on an interface now with built in UAD-1, that's the situation that will undoubtly happen.
I still run 2 uad1's... Mostly for the 1176 / La2a / Mastering plugs

I wish these were the original idea that ua had for an audio interface. Which was a uad1 with optical ports on it.

The one thing no one is talking about regarding Apollo... HOW ARE THE DRIVERS with low latency buffer settings? For playing virtual instruments.
Old 1st April 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomteontour View Post
Still wondering about that Screenshot.. suppose this is not in the current version of the console ? Would be smoking if it was a beta and the next thing would be some preamp models ( should be possible after they proved non linearity doing great stuff with tape plugs )

Not to mention amp sims! Got two DI's on the front there...
Old 1st April 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBOY View Post

The one thing no one is talking about regarding Apollo... HOW ARE THE DRIVERS with low latency buffer settings? For playing virtual instruments.
Wondering the same thing. How is the Apollo for tracking VI's?
Old 1st April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by isma View Post
Also with the Apollo coming with neutral preamps and the no latency feature, i'm sure UA will end up by doing preamps emulations like API, Chandler limited, or even their own 4-110 that sounds great and not anymore produced!!...
Hopefully it will be before UAD-3!
Preamp emulation, for some reason it sounds weird, but we see comps, limiters, eq's, tape recorders, why not preamps??
Agreed. I'm hopeful since UA emulated the entire signal path of the MP, they'll be thinking in that direction for existing and future designs. Obviously, there are certain limitations with emulating a preamp, but capturing the color of the pre would be pretty useful. Even bouncing tracks "through" the preamp plug could be pretty sweet!
Old 2nd April 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamj31 View Post
Wondering the same thing. How is the Apollo for tracking VI's?
I'm considering either a PCIe interface (Apogee, RME, etc) or Apollo. I will primarily be using VIs and external synths. I'm wondering what the better option will be for:

a) using VIs with best latency

b) using FX on VI's and on external inputs

c) low latency for using external FX inserts into the DAW.

Also, what is the throughput latency with thunderbolt for the apollo? Will it allow close to Symphony performance (i.e, 3ms)?
Old 2nd April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Leaf View Post
Yea, but like UAD-1 it will likely be a dead end regarding new plugins when the next gen hits the market. The DSP section is what will make Apollo dated one fine day.
Everything will be dated one day...I have a storage room full of it. It's a non issue..buy it use it write it off. Enjoy life.
L.
Old 2nd April 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
I'd REALLY be interested if they modeled some preamps...Even if it wasn't perfect, different flavors would be awesome...

Here's a screenpic that was on the Sweetwater site and promptly pulled down...Hopefully, it alludes to this...
once again about that picture :

Is that a fake or rather a beta of something wicked coming up ? really curious about that additional window with the preamp...
Old 2nd April 2012
Lives for gear

UA are definitely working on classic vintage (and more) preamp models for the Apollo. It's a no brainer. That will certainly raise the bar even higher.
Old 2nd April 2012
Gear addict

For someone who will be using many VIs and large sample libraries (Orchestral, etc), will the Apollo w/ TB have low enough latency to be able to deal with all this? Or should I be looking at a PCIe interface like Apogee, RME, etc? I want to be able to use my VIs and Samples through both UAD and non-UAD FX (like the latest lexicon reverb plug), so I need to know if the latency will be good enough with Apollo. I don't necessarily need to print FX, but it would be nice to monitor with UAD FX while printing dry. However, I also want to make sure that the throughput latency will be good enough for playing VI's/Samples through non-UAD native FX as well without problems. I suppose Pro Tools would be ideal, but I hear its not the greatest software for composing midi.

Anyone know?

Thanks
Aqua
Old 2nd April 2012
Lives for gear

No-one can tell you currently as Thunderbolt option isnt available.

Thunderbolt will provide PCI-E speeds, so it should be as good as any internal audio solution currently available. (UA have specifically said it will reduce latency and increase bandwidth)
Old 2nd April 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomteontour View Post
once again about that picture :

Is that a fake or rather a beta of something wicked coming up ? really curious about that additional window with the preamp...
Someone posted it on the UAD board saying it was a screenshot from Sweetwater. I can't vouch for its legitimacy though. Don't know why anyone would fake it...

Preamp emus would make this much more interesting to me...
Old 3rd April 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by euphoria89 View Post
No-one can tell you currently as Thunderbolt option isnt available.

Thunderbolt will provide PCI-E speeds, so it should be as good as any internal audio solution currently available. (UA have specifically said it will reduce latency and increase bandwidth)
So, how do people feel about Apollo when it comes to using native plugins with VIs/Samples and latency?

Also, is Apollo going to work well with my outboard FX (compressors, EQ and reverb) on mixdown?
Old 3rd April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquablu8 View Post
So, how do people feel about Apollo when it comes to using native plugins with VIs/Samples and latency?

Also, is Apollo going to work well with my outboard FX (compressors, EQ and reverb) on mixdown?
Am I the only one that doesn't understand the question?
Old 3rd April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR Music View Post
Am I the only one that doesn't understand the question?
Yes you are the only one.<g>

I think the question is not phrased correctly. To the poster...the Apollo has Ins & Outs...they aren't proprietary - they work like any other audio interfaces ins & outs. The UA plugs are separate than the processor.

However there are no inserts ....so obviously not the optimum for detailed mixing.
Attached Thumbnails
Universal Audio Apollo interface-3_apollo_back.jpg  
Old 3rd April 2012
Lives for gear

Inserts on the preamps would had been sweet.
Old 3rd April 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
Someone posted it on the UAD board saying it was a screenshot from Sweetwater. I can't vouch for its legitimacy though. Don't know why anyone would fake it...

Preamp emus would make this much more interesting to me...
Yeah.. just wondering.. so sweetwater might have had a unit with lets say UAD 6.4 Beta ?

I could really digg some nice flavours like V72, Neve and maybe Api ..

even just the idea makes me want it even more *grin
Old 3rd April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papanate View Post
However there are no inserts ....so obviously not the optimum for detailed mixing.
Why would you need insert points for mixing? You only need them if you want to process the sound between the onboard mic pre and the A/D converter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquablu8
IO latency is really the only element that differs from interface-interface. VI/Samples/Native effects are all computed by the host CPU/RAM. From all accounts, the Apollo has the same amount (if not slightly improved) latency from other similar devices. Someone posted values of around 5.3ms at 32 samples/buffer at 44.1Khz. If working at 96Khz, this would be less than half this value.

For outboard, you have 8x8 IO for sending to hardware units and recieving back signals. A lot of devices have 8 outputs, but your stereo monitoring usually takes up two, leaving you with only 6 mono outputs, whereas you have a total of 8 with the Apollo.

Simply hook up say outputs 7&8 to your stereo reverb unit, then use 2 x Line input returns. You can then send audio out of the interface via a send in your DAW, and monitor the return and blend to taste.
Old 3rd April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by euphoria89 View Post
Why would you need insert points for mixing? You only need them if you want to process the sound between the onboard mic pre and the A/D converter.
Brain fart...I was thinking tracking and writing mixing.
Old 3rd April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papanate View Post
Brain fart...I was thinking tracking and writing mixing.
he,he, no worries.
Old 3rd April 2012
Gear addict

Thanks. I can get 3ms rountrip latency with Apogee Symphony, and you say that one way (i.e, press keyboard and hear sound) with Apollo is 5ms? I'm not sure that this would be the best idea for someone who relies on playing VI's and large sample libraries and wants the best latency performance.
Old 3rd April 2012
Lives for gear

I believe that figure of 5ms was a full round trip. The DA was around the 3ms mark.
Old 3rd April 2012
Gear addict

I didn't think FW could get that good latency. Most of what I've seen are around 9ms for round trip.
Old 3rd April 2012
Lives for gear

As i havent recieved the Apollo yet (hopefully thurs/fri), i cannot say what the latency figures will be like. I will post values with various buffer sizes/sample rates once i get it.

In regards to PCI vs FireWire, i think PCI used to be the way to go about 5 years ago, but the gap seems to have closed since on most newer firewire interfaces.

I've got an old (4 year) M-Audio fast track usb that is USB1.1, and at 48Khz and 128 buffer i could get a round trip latency of 5.3ms, which for the unit is impressive.
Old 3rd April 2012
Lives for gear
Just got an email from UAS saying they will give a $200 credit for trade-ins of each UAD1 you have registered. Email only mentions PCI and Satellite varieties, but if they allow it on Apollo I'm all in. Heck, if they'd allow the credit to be used towards plugins I'd be all in.

I have 4 UAD1 and a slew of great plugins I haven't been using since I got my iMac and started working on it exclusively. I'd spring for the Satellite (and may) but that will do nothing for my Apollo lust.

Gonna keep the UFX either way until I know the Apollo is at least as good.
Old 3rd April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Category 5 View Post
Just got an email from UAS saying they will give a $200 credit for trade-ins of each UAD1 you have registered. Email only mentions PCI and Satellite varieties, but if they allow it on Apollo I'm all in. Heck, if they'd allow the credit to be used towards plugins I'd be all in.

I have 4 UAD1 and a slew of great plugins I haven't been using since I got my iMac and started working on it exclusively. I'd spring for the Satellite (and may) but that will do nothing for my Apollo lust.

Apollo not included!!!
Old 3rd April 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquablu8 View Post
Thanks. I can get 3ms rountrip latency with Apogee Symphony, and you say that one way (i.e, press keyboard and hear sound) with Apollo is 5ms? I'm not sure that this would be the best idea for someone who relies on playing VI's and large sample libraries and wants the best latency performance.
as far as I understand it, roundtrip latency does not impact the use of VIs ..
On Mac Os, VI performance is handled by your cpu, and the DAW buffer setting should not affect the latency of an instrument (unless you're using a high latency effect plugin as an insert on the VI)

Of course someone will correct me if i'm wrong…
Old 3rd April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by method1 View Post
as far as I understand it, roundtrip latency does not impact the use of VIs ..
On Mac Os, VI performance is handled by your cpu, and the DAW buffer setting should not affect the latency of an instrument (unless you're using a high latency effect plugin as an insert on the VI)

Of course someone will correct me if i'm wrong…
I agree but I could be wrong too...
Old 3rd April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hi Catergory 5, when you get and try Apollo, would you share your thoughts on Apollo vs UFX , in respect of their sound?

Thanks
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search