Universal Audio Apollo interface
New Reply
Subscribe
5th March 2012
Old 5th March 2012
Gear maniac

It's March.
(Still Freezing though)

Does anyone happen to know how good is the AD/DA on Apollo?
5th March 2012
Old 5th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Rabbit View Post
Does anyone happen to know how good is the AD/DA on Apollo?
That's probably the most asked question in this thread.

Since no one has actually used one....
5th March 2012
Old 5th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
It's March.
Musicians Friend says "due March 24"
Full Compass told me "due in stock at end of March"

I put more stock in those estimates.
5th March 2012
Old 5th March 2012
Gear addict

5th March 2012
Old 5th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Baron View Post
I am most interested in its ADDA converters, as I need to upgrade my current ones. They say the converters are transparent (good for mastering), so, they are not similar to 2192 because this adds some color, the color will be added by the plug-ins.
Not true... and totally an urban legend. The 2192 is one of the most accurate converters I have ever used. Simply stunning. The 2192 did include class A analog circuitry before and after the converters though. If you pushed signal out of, or into the device at a level higher than is normally recommended for a digital device, it could cause some mild distortion in the analog circuitry that some found pleasing in an "old school" kind of way.

Converters, when clipped.. do not add warmth... they click or pop unless some kind of filter/gain reduction is used before the actual converter to keep the over from arriving at the conversion level.
5th March 2012
Old 5th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Not true... and totally an urban legend. The 2192 is one of the most accurate converters I have ever used. Simply stunning.
Ok, sure you´re right, so, they are quite accurate, but it´s said they add "something" nice to the sound.
5th March 2012
Old 5th March 2012
Gear maniac

Did you know that UA2192 is not using any capacitors?
Once Apollo used 1 capacitor, Apollo has no reason to sound like UA2192.
By the way, UA2192 is said it loses high freq and lose reverb.

Anyway, Why isn't there anybody who listened to Apollo yet?
I thought some of you have sneaked into factory or office of UA.
Some of you could have had some something with president’s secretary of UA.

I have to say I may be disappointed.
5th March 2012
Old 5th March 2012
Lives for gear

Now you all got me confused. Is the Apollo converters the same as the 4-710d or the 2192?
5th March 2012
Old 5th March 2012
Gear maniac

neither, apparently
5th March 2012
Old 5th March 2012
Gear nut

This is STRAIGHT from Universal Audio on their Facebook page...

"There seems to be some misunderstanding regarding our Apollo audio interface's Thunderbolt capabilities, resulting from a (now deleted) post on another audio company's Facebook page. To be 100% clear, Apollo's Thunderbolt I/O card was co-developed with Intel, and is absolutely providing "true" Thunderbolt. It is far beyond a simple hub. You can think of Thunderbolt as a big "pipe" — one that can carry data streams including PCIe, FireWire, USB, HDMI, DisplayPort, and more. The fastest and highest-bandwidth of these data streams is PCIe — which is exactly what we've implemented in the Apollo Thunderbolt I/O card. Please feel free to post questions here, or contact us at info@uaudio.com. Thanks."

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Unive...io/23477253356

I hope that puts that nonsense that was on BLA's Facebook page (which they deleted) about the Apollo not having a "true" Thunderbolt connection to rest.

Like I said in my previous post, watch the NAMM video on the Apollo where the INTEL REPRESENTATIVE explains the Thunderbolt connection on the Apollo... Not A BLA rep.
5th March 2012
Old 5th March 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAFKAT View Post
Who's to say the ( delayed ) TB controller for UA is not in fact the one being developed by BLA..
There you have it, the Thunderbolt I/O interface for the Apollo was co-developed with Intel (not BLA or some OEM nonsense) and has true Thunderbolt speed capabilities. Intel developed Thunderbolt, so who better for UA to partner with than with the actual company that created it.

Cheers,

Billy Buck

I am on the road to sonic nirvana
REAPER.....your DAW on a keychain! Don't leave home without it!
6th March 2012
Old 6th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
While we are all getting high on the vapour speculating...

IMO BLA are not talking about an interface, but a native TB controller which I suspect they will OEM and offer to the audio interface manufacturers , as I seriously doubt AU have rolled their own.

This is not uncommon, most audio manufacturers rely on 3rd party OEM controllers for FW/USB except for RME , this is no different.

Who's to say the ( delayed ) TB controller for UA is not in fact the one being developed by BLA..

As you were...
Here it his from UA facebook page............

There seems to be some misunderstanding regarding our Apollo audio interface's Thunderbolt capabilities, resulting from a (now deleted) post on another audio company's Facebook page. To be 100% clear, Apollo's Thunderbolt I/O card was co-developed with Intel, and is absolutely providing "true" Thunderbolt. It is far beyond a simple hub. You can think of Thunderbolt as a big "pipe" — one that can carry data streams including PCIe, FireWire, USB, HDMI, DisplayPort, and more. The fastest and highest-bandwidth of these data streams is PCIe — which is exactly what we've implemented in the Apollo Thunderbolt I/O card. Please feel free to post questions here, or contact us at info@uaudio.com. Thanks.
6th March 2012
Old 6th March 2012
Lives for gear

Wow, BLA deleted the post on Facebook? I guess my post last night tipped the scale

You're welcome Universal Audio
6th March 2012
Old 6th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avening View Post
Wow, BLA deleted the post on Facebook? I guess my post last night tipped the scale

You're welcome Universal Audio
Good Job!
That's so awesome!!
Yeah Im sure UA cares and thanks you..
6th March 2012
Old 6th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR Music View Post
Good Job!
That's so awesome!!
Yeah Im sure UA cares and thanks you..
Fighting sarcasm with sarcasm always makes for an interesting post

Carry on ...
6th March 2012
Old 6th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:

That's a misconception you know. All of these device use capacitors. Some circuits use capacitors in the actual signal path to block DC. Some use them in the signal path as band pass filters or roll-offs. It is generally thought that this degrades signal. If done improperly it absolutely can. Some circuits can pull it off without much detriment. Some cicuits use transformers to block DC. This increases distortion and introduces non-linearity of its' own, but it's generally pleasing harmonic distortion so we applaud it rather than sneer.

This does not concern capacitors elsewhere in the circuit, especially power filtering capacitors which are not only present in abundance, but the larger and more there are the smoother the power and the more robust the devices performance.

Capacitors do not equate to bad sound...even when in the signal path.

Terms like "class a" "no op-amps" "no capacitors" "high voltage rails" are usually about as meaningful as the term "cd quality".

They are great for marketing to ignorant consumers but they don't even begin to tell the story of the product design or performance.
6th March 2012
Old 6th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Baron View Post
Ok, sure you´re right, so, they are quite accurate, but it´s said they add "something" nice to the sound.

Listen guys... I have owned dozens of UA 2192's. I have used them to record hundreds of projects (some Grammy nominated, and winning).

Who is this person that you are referring to when you say "it is said"?? Because both of the things you are saying are utter nonsense!!! I know GS has become a place where people simply read and regurgitate without any actual hands on knowledge of the gear they are talking about it...... but if you think that's me.... Google me. It's not.

I stand by what I originally said about the 2192. I was told by a UA employee, the Apollo will lack the class a analog section of the 2192 (for obvious cost reasons), but that the converters are actually a step up.

Once again, please keep in mind... converters are the actual device that turn Voltages (how audio travels in analog after being created by a transducer-----a microphone) and amplified (by what most call a preamplifier) into Pulse Code Modulation (the digital code that computers and other digital audio devices can understand). These devices are usually built second party and how well they sound/work depends on a great many variables. Like... the analog path to and from, and most importantly how they are clocked, etc..

So... if you prefer to get your info from someone passing along urban legend that they read on a forum somewhere from someone who read it on another forum somewhere, and so on, and so on, and so on... then ok. Or... you can take it from people that have actually used the 2192.

Your choice....
6th March 2012
Old 6th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by crypticglobe View Post

Once again, please keep in mind... converters are the actual device that turn Voltages (how audio travels in analog after being created by a transducer-----a microphone) and amplified (by what most call a preamplifier) into Pulse Code Modulation (the digital code that computers and other digital audio devices can understand). These devices are usually built second party and how well they sound/work depends on a great many variables. Like... the analog path to and from, and most importantly how they are clocked, etc..

So... if you prefer to get your info from someone passing along urban legend that they read on a forum somewhere from someone who read it on another forum somewhere, and so on, and so on, and so on... then ok. Or... you can take it from people that have actually used the 2192.
100% correct.. Thank you...
6th March 2012
Old 6th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Buck View Post
There you have it, the Thunderbolt I/O interface for the Apollo was co-developed with Intel (not BLA or some OEM nonsense) and has true Thunderbolt speed capabilities. Intel developed Thunderbolt, so who better for UA to partner with than with the actual company that created it.

Cheers,

Billy Buck
What part of getting high on the vapour and speculating didn't you understand ?

Until the recent furore over the remarks made by BLA , AU were remaining pretty quiet over who developed the actual TB controller. So now we have 2 totally conflicting reports about TB controller development and personally I couldn't care less either way , to me its all vapour until we get it in our hands and we can test in Real World environments.

BTW: Just because its native TB ( External PCIe) doesn't guarantee anything , much the same way using a native PCIe card doesn't guarantee good performance , it will come down to the quality of the controller implementation and the drivers.

Lets hope UA deliver.

As to the rest of the ongoing hyperventilation... as you were.
6th March 2012
Old 6th March 2012
Gear nut

Quote:
What part of getting high on the vapour and speculating didn't you understand ?

Until the recent furore over the remarks made by BLA , AU were remaining pretty quiet over who developed the actual TB controller. So now we have 2 totally conflicting reports about TB controller development and personally I couldn't care less either way , to me its all vapour until we get it in our hands and we can test in Real World environments.

BTW: Just because its native TB ( External PCIe) doesn't guarantee anything , much the same way using a native PCIe card doesn't guarantee good performance , it will come down to the quality of the controller implementation and the drivers.

Lets hope UA deliver.

As to the rest of the ongoing hyperventilation... as you were.
What are you talking about?.. The week of the NAMM show they had an INTEL REPRESENTATIVE speak at the Universal Audio booth about the Apollo and the Thunderbolt connection/card... They have video of this on youtube... Everyone who actually did research on the Apollo knew Universal Audio partnered with Intel (creators of Thunderbolt) to develop the Thunderbolt connection for the Apollo the week of the NAMM show when it was announced! It wasn't that they were quite, you just weren't listening!

Here's the video posted Jan. 20th 2012 where Dave Salvator, Senior Communications Manager for Intel talks about the UA/Intel collaboration on the Apollo (11:14 mark)...
Namm 2012 UA Universal Audio Apollo by Rock oN Report - YouTube
6th March 2012
Old 6th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAMCRISIS View Post
What are you talking about? Where do you get you info from?... The week of the NAMM show they had an INTEL REPRESENTATIVE speak at the Universal Audio booth about the Apollo and the Thunderbolt connection/card... They have video of this on youtube... Do I have to post it for you. I and everyone who actually did research on the Apollo knew Universal Audio partnered with Intel (creators of Thunderbolt) to develop the Thunderbolt connection for the Apollo!

Here's the video posted Jan. 20th 2012 where Dave Salvator, Senior Communications Manager for Intel talks about the UA/Intel collaboration on the Apollo (11:14 mark)...
Don't get sucked in. Tafkat is anit-Thunderbolt and still mad at apple for a year of exclusivity. He constantly rails about it in many, many threads. That's his theme song.
6th March 2012
Old 6th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
What are you talking about? Where do you get you info from?... The week of the NAMM show they had an INTEL REPRESENTATIVE speak at the Universal Audio booth about the Apollo and the Thunderbolt connection/card... They have video of this on youtube... Do I have to post it for you. I and everyone who actually did research on the Apollo knew Universal Audio partnered with Intel (creators of Thunderbolt) to develop the Thunderbolt connection for the Apollo!

Research?? The only research you did was what AU gave you!! You make it sound like you got your hands on one and used the TB Card... Or that you interviewed the designers, engineers at AU.. Maybe talked to Intel engineers personally... Maybe you got ahold of the Chinese factory!!?? Did you talk to someone who used one for a month??
You did NO research, you watched videos..
I personally hope the Apollo rocks. But you did as much research as anyone on here!!
6th March 2012
Old 6th March 2012
Gear nut

Quote:
Research?? The only research you did was what AU gave you!! You make it sound like you got your hands on one and used the TB Card... Or that you interviewed the designers, engineers at AU.. Maybe talked to Intel engineers personally... Maybe you got ahold of the Chinese factory!!?? Did you talk to someone who used one for a month??
You did NO research, you watched videos..
I personally hope the Apollo rocks. But you did as much research as anyone on here!!
Tell em' why you mad son!.... LoL! I made it sound the way I typed it. No other way! And apparently I "watched more videos" then most of the people on here... Don't get mad at me because someone is saying something that isn't true at all and I'm correcting them. I'm talking to the same people that keep typing AU instead of UA... But seriously, the last time I checked searching for info is called doing research which includes watching the videos that were posted regardless of the amount of info given. Some of you are asking questions that were already answered by those videos. So if you watched them and didn't get answers or the correct info out of them then it sucks to be you... At the end of the day, buy one LIKE I DID and see for your self how it sounds/performs or wait till a big record is recorded and mixed using the Apollo... Then you can run out and go buy one... Don't worry, in about 2 weeks I'll be getting my Apollo quad shipped to me and the non believers can keep speculating about it. I'll post something to talk about.
6th March 2012
Old 6th March 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by crypticglobe View Post
I was told by a UA employee, the Apollo will lack the class a analog section of the 2192 (for obvious cost reasons), but that the converters are actually a step up.
Hello, please allow me asking a question.
Did the UA employee tell you that APOLLO AD/DA sounds better than 2192 AD/DA?
6th March 2012
Old 6th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:

or wait till a big record is recorded and mixed using the Apollo... Then you can run out and go buy one...
So you think because a "big record" is recorded with a certain Interface everyone will have the similar results?
Then go get a 003, mbox, or a 96 i/o, because it's been done.. dream land
iPhone spell check..AU / UA.

I know the Apollo won't help improve anything other than your studio's looks and i/o. Talent, Persistence and Hard work will !! And investing a couple grand in Acoustic treatment will help you a bit too..

If I want an Apollo I'll get one. My Desk was $2000.
UA GEAR Owned;
-LA-610mkll
-UAD-2 Duo and Quad with 10 Plugs.
I've researched UA aswell...!!
6th March 2012
Old 6th March 2012
Gear nut

Quote:
So you think because a "big record" is recorded with a certain Interface everyone will have the similar results?
Then go get a 003, mbox, or a 96 i/o, because it's been done.. dream land
iPhone spell check..AU / UA.

I know the Apollo won't help improve anything other than your studio's looks and i/o. Talent, Persistence and Hard work will !! And investing a couple grand in Acoustic treatment will help you a bit too..

If I want an Apollo I'll get one. My Desk was $2000.
UA GEAR Owned;
-LA-610mkll
-UAD-2 Duo and Quad with 10 Plugs.
I've researched UA aswell...!!
Buy it... Don't buy it... It's up to you. But if your going to talk about it, be about it. And no, I don't think because a "big record" is recorded/mixed with the Apollo, people will be able to get the same results. Everyones ears and engineering skills are different... But it seems like some of the people on this site base their purchases off of some one else's accomplishments on that piece of gear instead of just taking a gamble to see for them selves. And theres also people that apparently rely more on their gear and room more then their drive and skills on here. Not saying you, but it's apparent in some of the comments posted on this site. If the shoe doesn't fit.... But you do sound obsessed with "treatment" though... LoL... I'll pull out my old G4 and digi001 from the closet in my bedroom and still get a good mix... That's how confident I am in my skills! My studio sounds better then a lot of studios I've been to. Them songs/mixes that you said sound good where mixed in that room that for some reason you think needs a bunch of treatment. If you owned all of those pieces, then that's what's up brother... I own the Apollo now (just hasn't been shipped to me yet ) If I had all them pieces you say you owned I would still own them. They're all keepers! I'll have an extra quad Satellite with ALL of the UAD plugins to go along with my Apollo quad in 2 weeks and if you did your research then you know about the power & quality of UAD plugins.... I'll fill you in on the Apollo!

I'm more worried about if when I experiment with different plugins like the SSL or Neve plugins to track, can I get that tone you would get tracking through one of those boards (which I've heard both in person before) by just having the plugins on the track flat (maybe some tweaking). If you can...
6th March 2012
Old 6th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
What are you talking about?..
Better question is what are you hyperventilating about ?

The Intel rep barely managed to get a word in, and nothing was confirmed on that video about a joint development of the controller !

You're so high on the vapour its further blurring your pin width view.

Go back to the Zombie Comics, its more your level.. !

Quote:
Originally Posted by work2do
Don't get sucked in. Tafkat is anit-Thunderbolt and still mad at apple for a year of exclusivity. He constantly rails about it in many, many threads.
Yeh you got me, Apples year of exclusivity has been so beneficial for all involved , and TB has been so influential that I am seething at missing out on the game change.

6th March 2012
Old 6th March 2012
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to Animus
Quote:
LOL, is that you talking or the spin from the reps.. ?
tigerblood!

:-)
6th March 2012
Old 6th March 2012
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to Animus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules View Post
winning!
I win a Apollo?! awesome. thanks
6th March 2012
Old 6th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Buy it... Don't buy it... It's up to you. But if your going to talk about it, be about it. And no, I don't think because a "big record" is recorded/mixed with the Apollo, people will be able to get the same results. Everyones ears and engineering skills are different... But it seems like some of the people on this site base their purchases off of some one else's accomplishments on that piece of gear instead of just taking a gamble to see for them selves. And theres also people that apparently rely more on their gear and room more then their drive and skills on here. Not saying you, but it's apparent in some of the comments posted on this site. If the shoe doesn't fit.... But you do sound obsessed with "treatment" though... LoL... I'll pull out my old G4 and digi001 from the closet in my bedroom and still get a good mix... That's how confident I am in my skills! My studio sounds better then a lot of studios I've been to. Them songs/mixes that you said sound good where mixed in that room that for some reason you think needs a bunch of treatment. If you owned all of those pieces, then that's what's up brother... I own the Apollo now (just hasn't been shipped to me yet ) If I had all them pieces you say you owned I would still own them. They're all keepers! I'll have an extra quad Satellite with ALL of the UAD plugins to go along with my Apollo quad in 2 weeks and if you did your research then you know about the power & quality of UAD plugins.... I'll fill you in on the Apollo!

I'm more worried about if when I experiment with different plugins like the SSL or Neve plugins to track, can I get that tone you would get tracking through one of those boards (which I've heard both in person before) by just having the plugins on the track flat (maybe some tweaking). If you can...

New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search