3rd March 2012
Old 3rd March 2012
Gearslutz.com admin

My Recordings/Credits

Pleasure!
3rd March 2012
Old 3rd March 2012
Gear addict

Hey Jules, anymore feedbacks on the Apollo?

Can't wait to have a go!

Cheers
3rd March 2012
Old 3rd March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazrak View Post
Sources?
Investigate, my friend.. No one out there is using real TB technogoly! Well not yet..
3rd March 2012
Old 3rd March 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR Music View Post
Investigate, my friend.. No one out there is using real TB technogoly! Well not yet..
Ok, again just to clarify - if you're talking about Apollo that is 100% real thunderbolt.

I you're in doubt, read the hardware manual and look at the block diagram.

Yes some vendors are releasing hubs to make old products compatible with MacBook air.
3rd March 2012
Old 3rd March 2012
Gear Head

Daisy Chaining

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules View Post
UA are working on daisy chaining Apollo units. They aren't making promises but know there is demand for it.
Hi Jules,

Can you clarify this statement? As far as I was aware it was always the intention to be able to daisy chain units at some point in the future as it states this on their website (presumably after TB arrives?). Does this statement simply mean that they are going to try to have this function available sooner as there will be demand for it? Or does it mean that daisy chaining may not be available?

It will be interesting to see if the headphone channels and aux channels scale up with additional apollos, and if its transparent i.e. on apollo one you can route ANY input to the HP1 channel on apollo two etc. Hopefully with the large TB bandwidth this shouldn't be a problem. Other interfaces I was considering (MH ULN8) always had compromises with routing between two boxes when scaling up.
3rd March 2012
Old 3rd March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Investigate, my friend.. No one out there is using real TB technology! Well not yet..

That's not true you know. Heck, I already have a seagate drive adapter that operates on thunderbolt and the drive speeds while using are proof that it isn't just a converter, it's really Thunderbolt.

It's not some magic protocol that nobody can figure out. It just took a while for chipsets to trickle down to the developers...and they finally have.
3rd March 2012
Old 3rd March 2012
Gear interested

Send a message via Yahoo to young trizo
I gotta get 1 when it comes out but im kind of mad that i gotta wait til september to use it since im a PC user
3rd March 2012
Old 3rd March 2012
Gearslutz.com admin

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_b_tulloch View Post
Hi Jules,

Can you clarify this statement? As far as I was aware it was always the intention to be able to daisy chain units at some point in the future as it states this on their website (presumably after TB arrives?). Does this statement simply mean that they are going to try to have this function available sooner as there will be demand for it? Or does it mean that daisy chaining may not be available?

It will be interesting to see if the headphone channels and aux channels scale up with additional apollos, and if its transparent i.e. on apollo one you can route ANY input to the HP1 channel on apollo two etc. Hopefully with the large TB bandwidth this shouldn't be a problem. Other interfaces I was considering (MH ULN8) always had compromises with routing between two boxes when scaling up.
As past experience informs me, sometimes you can't stand over a manufacturer armed with with a whip and a chair and a burning question, to force an outcome that you might like. (lord knows I have tried enough times in the past...) You can only hope. The vibe I got from the demo evening was - they will definitely be working on it. Thats as far as I could tell you from the answers I got. No signed contract written in blood but a "we definately know people want it and will be working on it.
3rd March 2012
Old 3rd March 2012
Gearslutz.com admin

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by isma View Post
Hey Jules, anymore feedbacks on the Apollo?

Can't wait to have a go!

Cheers
The pizza was tasty?
3rd March 2012
Old 3rd March 2012
Gear addict

Send a message via AIM to DIGI ENT
Quote:
Originally Posted by young trizo View Post
I gotta get 1 when it comes out but im kind of mad that i gotta wait til september to use it since im a PC user
Get a mac. U in dade? Wut it dew?
3rd March 2012
Old 3rd March 2012
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules View Post
As past experience informs me, sometimes you can't stand over a manufacturer armed with with a whip and a chair and a burning question, to force an outcome that you might like. (lord knows I have tried enough times in the past...) You can only hope. The vibe I got from the demo evening was - they will definitely be working on it. Thats as far as I could tell you from the answers I got. No signed contract written in blood but a "we definately know people want it and will be working on it.
I guess I was thinking that the low channel count on this was due to expansion plans in the future. However, for me, if I cant have at least two daisy chained, then it a no goer.

You also mentioned 'hooks' in the console code for controllers - any mention of Eucon support?
3rd March 2012
Old 3rd March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Category 5 View Post
That's not true you know. Heck, I already have a seagate drive adapter that operates on thunderbolt and the drive speeds while using are proof that it isn't just a converter, it's really Thunderbolt.

It's not some magic protocol that nobody can figure out. It just took a while for chipsets to trickle down to the developers...and they finally have.
@Category 5

We are talking specifically about audio interfaces here. According to Intel (according to BLA) no-one is currently bringing a true TB device to market (except BLA).

As I wrote below, I do not know if this is the case with the Apollo. It's not according to stakeoutstudios. Mind you, UA hasn't released the Apollo yet, let alone the TB interface.

Quote:
Originally Posted by travisbrown View Post
Don't know if this is definitive with respect to the Apollo, but...

interesting fb post from bla about thunderbolt

If this is the case with the Apollo, $500 for the TB card really is robbery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stakeoutstudios View Post
Serious misinformation here now.

Metric Halo have released a FireWire to Thunderbolt adapter, obviously with limited bandwidth - effectively a PCIe card with FireWire ports on it. The purpose of this is so their many year old interfaces can hook up to new computers such as MacBook air.

The thunderbolt option in Apollo is not a hub, it is a true PCIe connection with enough bandwidth to be able to use its FireWire ports for other devices and Apollo behaving just like it was built on a PCIe card inside your computer.

There's even a block diagram in the hardware manual if you're in doubt.
3rd March 2012
Old 3rd March 2012
Gearslutz.com admin

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_b_tulloch View Post
I guess I was thinking that the low channel count on this was due to expansion plans in the future. However, for me, if I cant have at least two daisy chained, then it a no goer.

You also mentioned 'hooks' in the console code for controllers - any mention of Eucon support?
Eucon was referred to as definitely "being looked into"
3rd March 2012
Old 3rd March 2012
Gear addict

did you have to sign an NDA .. any thoughts regarding AD/DA ?
3rd March 2012
Old 3rd March 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
The burden of evidence typically falls on the person making a claim. That is, if this was a proper debate and not a long discussion and wild speculations on the internet about a product that hasn't touched a single customers hands... hah.
3rd March 2012
Old 3rd March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazrak View Post
The burden of evidence typically falls on the person making a claim. That is, if this was a proper debate and not a long discussion and wild speculations on the internet about a product that hasn't touched a single customers hands... hah.

OK!
Let us know how TB works out for ya!
3rd March 2012
Old 3rd March 2012
Gear Head

Send a message via AIM to NashvilleJoe
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy.c. View Post
The brushing on the Apollo casing is more even, therefore, you will get more smooth frequency response due to less reflection. The drawback though is there is the added weight of the UAD-2 processor card inside the Apollo so that extra heaviness will saturate your low frequencies and give you a slight low end bump. The Lynx on the other hand is named after an actual large predator and the Apollo after a mad up god, so your chances of getting a good, "real" mix are better from the Lynx.

Hope that helps.
snicker snicker snicker !!
3rd March 2012
Old 3rd March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
We are talking specifically about audio interfaces here. According to Intel (according to BLA) no-one is currently bringing a true TB device to market (except BLA). .
While we are all getting high on the vapour speculating...

IMO BLA are not talking about an interface, but a native TB controller which I suspect they will OEM and offer to the audio interface manufacturers , as I seriously doubt AU have rolled their own.

This is not uncommon, most audio manufacturers rely on 3rd party OEM controllers for FW/USB except for RME , this is no different.

Who's to say the ( delayed ) TB controller for UA is not in fact the one being developed by BLA..

As you were...
4th March 2012
Old 4th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAFKAT View Post

IMO BLA are not talking about an interface, but a native TB controller which I suspect they will OEM and offer to the audio interface manufacturers , as I seriously doubt AU have rolled their own.

This is not uncommon, most audio manufacturers rely on 3rd party OEM controllers for FW/USB except for RME , this is no different.

Who's to say the ( delayed ) TB controller for UA is not in fact the one being developed by BLA..

As you were...
It's for their Audio Interface.
4th March 2012
Old 4th March 2012
Gear addict

Send a message via AIM to DIGI ENT
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAFKAT View Post

As you were...
Didn't UA meet with BLA while they were developing the Apollo?
4th March 2012
Old 4th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Don't know if this is definitive with respect to the Apollo, but...

interesting fb post from bla about thunderbolt

If this is the case with the Apollo, $500 for the TB card really is robbery.

That's a weird one. A year or two ago Intel was showing off a 192 i/o with thunderbolt connection (obviously co-developed between them and Avid) at one of their events. Considering the 192 i/o has never incorporated firewire or USB and is specifically used for PCI(e) interfaces, I'd imagine that was a true thunderbolt i/o.
It would be absolutely crazy if every single interface manufacturer apart from BLA had completely ignored thunderbolt for the last year or more, considering the millions of Macs being sold, especially with the majority of the audio industry being on macs.
A bit of salesmanship from BLA perhaps?
4th March 2012
Old 4th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbjp View Post
That's a weird one. A year or two ago Intel was showing off a 192 i/o with thunderbolt connection (obviously co-developed between them and Avid) at one of their events. Considering the 192 i/o has never incorporated firewire or USB and is specifically used for PCI(e) interfaces, I'd imagine that was a true thunderbolt i/o.
It would be absolutely crazy if every single interface manufacturer apart from BLA had completely ignored thunderbolt for the last year or more, considering the millions of Macs being sold, especially with the majority of the audio industry being on macs.
A bit of salesmanship from BLA perhaps?
Well, many companies are wary of being bleeding edge. The vast majority of DAWs out there don't have thunderbolt yet. I bet many are waiting for a little more critical mass before launching new connectivity.

Also, in general, given the economic uncertainty of the past couple years, not a lot of companies have been doing much R&D and have been holding off from taking new products to a soft market. Notice the dearth of much interesting or new at NAMM this year?

Avid never took the TB 192 to market, did they? Was just a proof of concept?
4th March 2012
Old 4th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
It's for their Audio Interface.
BLA have an audio interface in development , really ?

Well lets hear, don't keep us in suspense... :-)
4th March 2012
Old 4th March 2012
Lives for gear

Am I the only one that thinks this could be really cool? Hell, wish I had one, thunderbolt, cross platform, super low latency, good amount of IO, built in pre's, UAD plugins, for that alone it seems very cool, not to mention everything else, on paper it seems great. Tell you what, everyone group together and put in a few bucks to buy me one and I'll let you all know how it is with a blow by blow account
4th March 2012
Old 4th March 2012
Gear addict

I know the Apollo comes with the Analog classics bundle, But I (mis) remember seeing Dreamverb being included in the bundle. Did I misread?
4th March 2012
Old 4th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIGI ENT View Post
Didn't UA meet with BLA while they were developing the Apollo?
Are you serious....... UA got better thing to do.......
5th March 2012
Old 5th March 2012
Gear nut

With all do respect to BLA but I highly doubt that Black Lion Audio will be the only ones with a "true thunderbolt" connection or even the first ... Especially before a company like Universal Audio... Let's get serious now people. Go watch one of the NAMM videos on the Apollo when the rep for Intel explained the Thunderbolt connection on the Apollo. All I see is "hating" and "reaching" now. I think it's fare to say that this thread has been dead for about a week or 2. It's just a bunch of "zombie posts" now .

5th March 2012
Old 5th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAMCRISIS View Post
With all do respect to BLA but I highly doubt that Black Lion Audio will be the only ones with a "true thunderbolt" connection or even the first ... Especially before a company like Universal Audio... Let's get serious now people. Go watch one of the NAMM videos on the Apollo when the rep for Intel explained the Thunderbolt connection on the Apollo. All I see is "hating" and "reaching" now. I think it's fare to say that this thread has been dead for about a week or 2. It's just a bunch of "zombie posts" now .

Everyone! Go back to making music!!! Who cares what gear you have.... Let's make music, and help each other..
5th March 2012
Old 5th March 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAMCRISIS View Post
I think it's fare to say that this thread has been dead for about a week or 2. It's just a bunch of "zombie posts" now .
I'm sorry but I have to disagree. I think my previous posts could be important for the non-zombies among us :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarrova View Post
Say you have a live situation and you want to process your instruments with UAD plugins (after all that's what they're advertising). Will it be possible to send multiple audio signals to different audio outs after being processed and without going to your DAW?

Example:
Drums 1-8 via ADAT -> UAD -> to analog out 1 and 2 (stereo)
Bass -> UAD -> to analog out 3
Vox -> UAD -> to analog out 4
Guitars -> UAD -> to analog out 5 and 6
UAD Reverb -> analog out 7 and 8

---> So all of them with UAD plugins and UAD Reverb sends
---> You need the multiple out signals to go to FOH / Recording / Processing / ...
---> You need to be able to still record the clean / dry signals for later mixing

I mean, if you first need to go into your DAW and redirect the audio signals from within your DAW, you lose the "realtime UAD processing" because your DAW's audio buffer size will be the party pooper :( ???

And for studio time my idea was to record multiple instruments, process them with UAD plugins and route them back out to provide a really pro sounding headphone mix.
You could give the musicians a perfect sounding drum, warm in your face vocals, a little verb on their instrument, ...
The 2 headphone outs are simply not enough and are too limited in functions.
I want to be able to provide at least 4 different headphone outputs and like I said, rerouting within your DAW looses the "realtime processing".
So it looks like you can only use the two aux outs for routing your UAD processed tracks back out without going to your DAW. That makes only 2 stereo outs with realtime UAD processing and obviously you loose the aux sends this way. I think that's a real pitty, and hope that UA will provide us with some more routing options (maybe with a software update). It seems strange to me that they didn't think of that, especially because they're also advertising to use the UAD realtime processing in live situations. Can't stress enough how important this could be for some of us.
5th March 2012
Old 5th March 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basslik View Post
Hey weren't there hits done on four track machines?

I heard someone mention this before / Does it really matter anyway in a MP3 WORLD?
Sure, i.e. David Gray. But there are people that care about the sound, not just hits. I'm more into David Sylvian's or Peter Gabriel's way of thinking, which is strongly determined by the quality of gear thus the quality of sound.

Even a wet fart (not so unusual in sound design world) will sound better as a 24/48 wave through top notch mic, pre and converter, than as a typical 192 mp3 through mediocre mic, mediocre pre and mediocre con's. It will sound significantly more wet

Now relate it to music

"Nobody goes there anymore; it's too crowded."
Yogi Bear
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search