Universal Audio Apollo interface
Old 29th February 2012
Lives for gear

how many HP mixes ?
Old 29th February 2012
Apollo console setting are saved in your DAW's session file.
Old 29th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules View Post
These are new converters and NOT borrowed from any other existing UA devices.
Funny how the UA reps at NAMM were spouting otherwise. I wonder if the design changed or they were just taking a guess.
Old 29th February 2012
There are "hooks" built into the software to allow controllers to drive the mixer in future. UA are aware this is a popular request.
Old 29th February 2012
Lives for gear

Comments on conversion quality?

Differences in latency of TB Vs Fw?
Old 29th February 2012
Gear addict

Inputs 1-4, can the preamps be bypassed? If so, is it done in the software or on the unit?
Old 29th February 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by lozion View Post
Comments on conversion quality?

Differences in latency of TB Vs Fw?
I am not able to make judgements here at this demo session (just one mic set up) sorry.
Old 29th February 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by DIGI ENT View Post
Inputs 1-4, can the preamps be bypassed? If so, is it done in the software or on the unit?
Plugging into line inputs 1-4 does bypass the pres - so yes.
Old 29th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
I am not able to make judgements here at this demo session (just one mic set up) sorry.
Ok Jules txs for trying.
Old 29th February 2012
so Jules... were you impressed?
Old 29th February 2012
It's seems "Rock 'n Roll'.

Print the sound you want at the tracking stage.

No looking back, no need to "freeze" so you can re-do later.

Commit to sound you like and move on. Goodby to the "tweak forever" mentality.

Use the plug in power for mix-down.

It's a tracking thing.
Old 29th February 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
Plugging into line inputs 1-4 does bypass the pres - so yes.
Actually, I meant on the XLR ins. I wanna go XLR outta my GTQC to XLR in on the Apollo. Can I bypass the pre's somehow that way?
Old 29th February 2012
I have a FF800 now. I us an ADA8000 via ADAT out to my Furman headphone distribution system. I use aux sends in PT10 and send them to outs 1-6 in the ADA8000. it works great. I know I can still do this in PT, but I was wondering if I can do this in Apollo from in the console application instead? any reason why not? I suppose I should d/l the manual and see, but I thought someone might have the same idea...
Old 1st March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
It's seems "Rock 'n Roll'.

Print the sound you want at the tracking stage.

No looking back, no need to "freeze" so you can re-do later.

Commit to sound you like and move on. Goodby to the "tweak forever" mentality.

Use the plug in power for mix-down.

It's a tracking thing.
LOL, is that you talking or the spin from the reps.. ?
Old 1st March 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAFKAT View Post
LOL, is that you talking or the spin from the reps.. ?
mmm
Old 1st March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Buck View Post
It looks like the public launch of the Apollo is getting nearer. UA just released a bunch of Apollo Console Application video's in HD. About 30 minutes worth, from using the Console Application to setting it up with various DAW hosts (Cubase, Pro Tools, Live & Logic Pro).

Scroll down to the "Apollo" video section:

Videos - Blog - Universal Audio
So a question I've had all along was whether or not you would be able to destructively print plugins like the Studer while not printing and just only monitoring things like reverb. For those of you that have watched the console app video, correct me if I'm wrong, but what I gathered from watching it is this.

You CAN achieve what I mentioned above but only by using the individual aux's. Basically it appears to me that you could insert a Studer on every channel insert and print that while also just monitoring (NOT printing) things like reverb and vocal compression by just placing those particular plugins on the AUX inserts and adjusting accordingly on your headphone mixes.

Did anybody else watch the video and come to the same conclusion?
Old 1st March 2012
Lives for gear

Also, from watching this video I have another thought about headphone mixes. It looks like you can use all of your AUX sends to make an additional two headphone mixes if you choose to route the AUX outputs to two of the analog outputs instead of the main monitor mix (although the AUX headphone mixes would have to be mono ).

The downside appears to be though that you will have everthing dry and won't be able make any wet headphone mixes if you also wish to print plugins in the scenario I mentioned in my last post. Now if you're not printing any plugins it looks like it would be much easier to make four separate headphone mixes unless I'm missing something.

I mean the two headphone mixes are nothing more than AUX's themselves really. I just wish UA would have included six or even eight AUX's in the console instead of just two. That would have opened up a ton more flexibility for this kind of stuff.
Old 1st March 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
Actually, I meant on the XLR ins. I wanna go XLR outta my GTQC to XLR in on the Apollo. Can I bypass the pre's somehow that way?
Just use XLR -> TRS Jack Leads to the TRS Line in????
Old 1st March 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by muziqfreek View Post
Just use XLR -> TRS Jack Leads to the TRS Line in????
I could just go TRS to TRS, I just want to know if it could be done. GTQC XLR out to Apollo XLR in, bypassing Apollo pre. Basically, can the pre's be bypassed or turned off via the UA console or Apollo control panel.
Old 1st March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
I could just go TRS to TRS, I just want to know if it could be done. GTQC XLR out to Apollo XLR in, bypassing Apollo pre. Basically, can the pre's be bypassed or turned off via the UA console or Apollo control panel.
You bypass them by plugging into the 1/4" inputs that bypass the preamps.

The XLR inputs *are* the preamps. You would need a hardware switch to jump the mic pre gainstage. It would be a bit redundant to include that with the alternate 1/4" inputs that accomplish the same thing.

Most preamps that allow you to "bypass" the preamp actually only pad down the input signal 20db and call it a day. They don't actually bypass. If you were adamant to use the XLR inputs, build a cable with a couple resistors, or use an inline attenuator.
Old 1st March 2012
bee
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quint View Post
Also, from watching this video I have another thought about headphone mixes. It looks like you can use all of your AUX sends to make an additional two headphone mixes if you choose to route the AUX outputs to two of the analog outputs instead of the main monitor mix.

The downside appears to be though that you will have everthing dry and won't be able make any wet headphone mixes if you also wish to print plugins in the scenario I mentioned in my last post. Now if you're not printing any plugins it looks like it would be much easier to make four separate headphone mixes unless I'm missing something.

I mean the two headphone mixes are nothing more than AUX's themselves really. I just wish UA would have included six or even eight AUX's in the console instead of just two. That would have opened up a ton more flexibility for this kind of stuff.
Yeah, I concur.
Old 1st March 2012
Gear nut

Well it looks like I'll be getting mine in 2 weeks... So much for blasting off this week! Guess I'll have to continue to use my MBox 3 Pro & Waves plugins... (Sigh) LoL...
Old 1st March 2012
GPl
Lives for gear

Quote:
UA say ready this summer! Windows7 only. (same for thunderbolt)
I still have a XP 64 daw....
Old 1st March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bee View Post
Yeah, I concur.
You concur about the present functionality that I observed in the video or you concur about wishing they had added more AUX's or both?

Either way, I don't see what is so hard about adding the additional AUX's since the software routing is already there for the two they already have. Unless they were concerned with GUI real estate I just don't understand why they didn't do it. Plenty of other interface mixers offer way more routing than even that....
Old 2nd March 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quint View Post
Either way, I don't see what is so hard about adding the additional AUX's since the software routing is already there for the two they already have. Unless they were concerned with GUI real estate I just don't understand why they didn't do it. Plenty of other interface mixers offer way more routing than even that....
Yeah you got me thinking ...
Say you have a live situation and you want to process your instruments with UAD plugins (after all that's what they're advertising). Will it be possible to send multiple audio signals to different audio outs after being processed and without going to your DAW?

Example:
Drums 1-8 via ADAT -> UAD -> to analog out 1 and 2 (stereo)
Bass -> UAD -> to analog out 3
Vox -> UAD -> to analog out 4
Guitars -> UAD -> to analog out 5 and 6
UAD Reverb -> analog out 7 and 8

---> So all of them with UAD plugins and UAD Reverb sends
---> You need the multiple out signals to go to FOH / Recording / Processing / ...
---> You need to be able to still record the clean / dry signals for later mixing

I mean, if you first need to go into your DAW and redirect the audio signals from within your DAW, you lose the "realtime UAD processing" because your DAW's audio buffer size will be the party pooper :( ???
Old 2nd March 2012
Gear addict

Something actually somewhat relevant:

I just heard back from my dealer at Vintage King Audio. I placed my pre-order with them as soon as it was available on their site.

I finally received a response earlier today about a shipment inquiry. Supposedly, these are tentatively shipping on the 2nd week of March. I hate that word.., "tentatively."

I'll post the updates as I get them... I'll be able to do a very quick review of the unit. It will be put thru its paces. It's going to be clocked off a Burl B2 Bomber, and utilizing an InnerTube SumThang (summing mixer) into my mixbuss outboard. At least I'll be able to verify functionality of all of the analog ins/outs and SP/DIF input and clocking functionality.

I promise to post a demo of one of my tracks through it. Hopefully, it all works!

Kind regards,
Phil
Old 2nd March 2012
Lives for gear

I am going to guess that you can't go AUDIO > UAD > AUDIO OUT... just a hunch but they are not really building a LIVE FX processor just giving you the ability to monitor through the FX for headphone/tracking purposes and I think the cues have to be set up in the DAW

Also would it really be worth the hassle or expense? I love UAD emulations but the subtle "better" of them really won't be something anyone would be able to tell vs. some of the better, more road-rugged boxes or even pedals. It's like how guys will play their $25,000 Les Paul gold top in the studio but tour with a $2,000 copy - not worth the hassle, risk or expense for so little gain.
Old 2nd March 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by superwack View Post
I am going to guess that you can't go AUDIO > UAD > AUDIO OUT... just a hunch but they are not really building a LIVE FX processor just giving you the ability to monitor through the FX for headphone/tracking purposes and I think the cues have to be set up in the DAW

Also would it really be worth the hassle or expense? I love UAD emulations but the subtle "better" of them really won't be something anyone would be able to tell vs. some of the better, more road-rugged boxes or even pedals. It's like how guys will play their $25,000 Les Paul gold top in the studio but tour with a $2,000 copy - not worth the hassle, risk or expense for so little gain.
I understand what you're saying but having more routing options is also very handy in the studio:

My idea was to record multiple instruments, process them with UAD plugins and route them back out to provide a really pro sounding headphone mix.
You could give the musicians a perfect sounding drum, warm in your face vocals, a little verb on their instrument, ...
The 2 headphone outs are simply not enough and are too limited in functions.
I want to be able to provide at least 4 different headphone outputs and like I said, rerouting within your DAW looses the "realtime processing".

Oh and about that LIVE FX PRocessor - From their site:
Can I use Apollo in a live performance situation?
Apollo is a great solution for playing back prerecorded material from your DAW while also being able to process live sound with UAD plug-ins. Imagine being able to use a Lexicon 224 Digital Reverb as your reverb onstage, or adding an LA-2A Compressor on your vocals to front of house instantly, or adding creative effects like the Roland RE-201 Space Echo to your guitar in a live performance. This is all possible with Apollo.
Old 2nd March 2012
Old 2nd March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarrova View Post
I understand what you're saying but having more routing options is also very handy in the studio:

My idea was to record multiple instruments, process them with UAD plugins and route them back out to provide a really pro sounding headphone mix.
You could give the musicians a perfect sounding drum, warm in your face vocals, a little verb on their instrument, ...
The 2 headphone outs are simply not enough and are too limited in functions.
I want to be able to provide at least 4 different headphone outputs and like I said, rerouting within your DAW looses the "realtime processing".

Oh and about that LIVE FX PRocessor - From their site:
Can I use Apollo in a live performance situation?
Apollo is a great solution for playing back prerecorded material from your DAW while also being able to process live sound with UAD plug-ins. Imagine being able to use a Lexicon 224 Digital Reverb as your reverb onstage, or adding an LA-2A Compressor on your vocals to front of house instantly, or adding creative effects like the Roland RE-201 Space Echo to your guitar in a live performance. This is all possible with Apollo.
I agree with you on it being a cool option (and stand corrected on the Live FX thing!) It's excellent that UAD seems to be trying to cover as many bases as possible
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search