Universal Audio Apollo interface
Old 27th February 2012
Gear addict

You guys gave me a headake with protools, there are many protools thread, or just create a new one "Protools with or without Apollo?" or whatever...
Let talk about Apollo, UAD plugs, as many of us don't give a fu** about protools...

Cheers
Old 27th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MediaMix View Post
Please post a link to where we can get PT10HD that will be supported, registered, and allow for upgrades in our Avid accounts for $899.
eBay my friend. I'm using HD9 without a glitch!!! It's a licence! For example, You can buy HD Native or a HD card and use a FW Interface!! I found this out because I installed HD9 on my laptop a couple years ago and worked great with a Saffire 56 we used to record live! Same thing with HD10! After needing to grab another PT for the laptop one for me one for home (ilok authorizations, does not make sense to have it on the same one) I found for PThD on eBay with an ilok for $499. PT10HD is $899. I wouldn't hesitate one bit! Ofcourse I get all updates. Don't know about support, I don't need it! Haven't needed it since 06.
Old 27th February 2012
MediaMix

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR Music View Post
eBay my friend. I'm using HD9 without a glitch!!! It's a licence! For example, You can buy HD Native or a HD card and use a FW Interface!! I found this out because I installed HD9 on my laptop a couple years ago and worked great with a Saffire 56 we used to record live! Same thing with HD10! After needing to grab another PT for the laptop one for me one for home (ilok authorizations, does not make sense to have it on the same one) I found for PThD on eBay with an ilok for $499. PT10HD is $899. I wouldn't hesitate one bit! Ofcourse I get all updates. Don't know about support, I don't need it! Haven't needed it since 06.
Oh. I've done that in the past but when a major PAID upgrade comes you will not be able to get an upgrade price. You have to wait and buy a full version off of ebay again. You cannot register it or get support. But it works for the meantime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by isma View Post
You guys gave me a headake with protools, there are many protools thread, or just create a new one "Protools with or without Apollo?" or whatever...
Let talk about Apollo, UAD plugs, as many of us don't give a fu** about protools...

Cheers
Apollo does not come with DAW software so all DAW software is relevant. If you have a complex against Pro Tools. Sorry. What more can be said about Apollo until they start shipping. No one has even touched one yet except UA engineers and they are not chiming in.
Old 27th February 2012
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by DIGI ENT View Post
UA ran into produ tion delays. New ETA for all Apollos is early/mid April!!! WTF???
Just got a (very good) quote from Full Compass. They said they should arrive late March.
Old 27th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Oh. I've done that in the past but when a major PAID upgrade comes you will not be able to get an upgrade price. You have to wait and buy a full version off of ebay again. You cannot register it or get support. But it works for the meantime.
Not TRUE!! At all! I qualify for a 10 upgrade, all day long!!
Old 27th February 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
With the apollo you can use UAD plugs in your home studio or for live performances (wich is not the same as the Totalmix fx plugs), with no latency.
Like a proper FX rack.
You can't do this with a UAD satellite + UFX.
The UAD apollo UAD thunderbolt will only be at the low latency when tracking normally but if plug-ins are added to live tracking then obviously latency will increase. Which I still see to be of no advantage. Then nothing can delay compensate like a played back track can because its in real time. I think I'll stick to the pro tools HD plan. Because I learned from a dealer of both that the HD interfaces will still be faster than thunderbolt. But that thunderbolt will be a close second.
Old 27th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazrak View Post
shut up

this thing isn't available to customers yet and people keep complaining about the speculation, or direction conversation turns... it's an unreleased product that's created some excitement. people are going to talk. whine on. since it's nobody's hands, there's going to be opinions from every angle until it's released.
+1... the REALLY important thing that I think you all are overlooking is THUNDERBOLT - now that is basically vaporware as it is "coming Summer of 2012" and at a price that seems TBD... what if that turns out to be another $1k?

We can speculate (as everything on this thread is ) but honestly, we really know how well TB will work in general for audio, how UA's drivers will be (or when they will actually be available regardless of what they say there are always delays in this sort of thing... remember how the UAD satellites still don't work with PC), what the actual latency is, etc. The TB specs are impressive but so are lots of other formats that never delivered on promised speeds. Also remember that the really good TB specs are for the FIBRE version ($$$) not the copper one.

I'm glad you are enthusiastic but don't get ahead of yourself (there is always a cost to being an early adopter)
Old 27th February 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by T800 View Post
The UAD apollo UAD thunderbolt will only be at the low latency when tracking normally but if plug-ins are added to live tracking then obviously latency will increase. Which I still see to be of no advantage. Then nothing can delay compensate like a played back track can because its in real time. I think I'll stick to the pro tools HD plan. Because I learned from a dealer of both that the HD interfaces will still be faster than thunderbolt. But that thunderbolt will be a close second.

No latency with plugins added to live tracking with the apollo, it's true, you missed the point!!
(No latency is actually 2m.s max according UA website)
The no latency thing WITH UAD plugs is THE reason i want to buy it!
Add a studer on my drum machine, a space echo on a guitar, an LA2A on a voice for a live show, comon!!!
Have you seen the video with Fab????
The plugs can act before the DAW or in standalone, without a computer.
Firewire will be enough to start with, no latency with firewire already, so thunderbolt is a bonus.
HD interfaces faster than thunderbolt? that doesn't mean anything, thunderbolt is PCIe... And even if there is something faster, who cares, no latency is no latency, you won't hear any difference between 2ms or 1ms!
Old 27th February 2012
Gear maniac

Man it is so hard to sort through this thread.

This may have been answered but does anyone know if you can just monitor through their console screen without printing the effects? I'd like to have the option to do one or the other at times.
Old 27th February 2012
Gear maniac

hmmm...Good for UAD for making a product some people want to buy. Good luck to all the early adopters. Sigh to the length of this thread (which I am ironically adding to). Groan to the irrational exuberance of some to potential vaporware.

YAY!!! to the additional features of the Apollo. Rumers and sources have it that it will automatically detect and compensate for harmonic fluctuations in the power supply (look for the potential to use software to alter the frequency of the power to match harmonic frequencies in your session-even matching keys!!!)

It will also interface remotely with Keurig units to help bring energy to the recording and mixing process (www.keurig.com)
Old 27th February 2012
Gear nut

Quote:

No latency with plugins added to live tracking with the apollo, it's true, you missed the point!!
(No latency is actually 2m.s max according UA website)
The no latency thing WITH UAD plugs is THE reason i want to buy it!
Add a studer on my drum machine, a space echo on a guitar, an LA2A on a voice for a live show, comon!!!
Have you seen the video with Fab????
The plugs can act before the DAW or in standalone, without a computer.
Firewire will be enough to start with, no latency with firewire already, so thunderbolt is a bonus.
HD interfaces faster than thunderbolt? that doesn't mean anything, thunderbolt is PCIe... And even if there is something faster, who cares, no latency is no latency, you won't hear any difference between 2ms or 1ms!

I agree...People act like 1 ms difference in latency from the Apollo and an HD interface will be noticeable. As long as the A/D conversion quality is top notch like they claim it to be, that's all that counts. I'm like a mad scientist in the studio so the fact that you can use UAD plugins to track/monitor with UNNOTICEABLE latency besides mixing with them is also one of the many reasons I went the Apollo route. Lots of experiments will be conducted. I have confidence in my skills that I will get that "HD" sound using the Apollo and UAD plugins!
Old 27th February 2012
Lives for gear

Has anyone got one yet? From What one sales place told me they were due to get one on the 22nd. I have not heard back from them though.
Old 27th February 2012
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by ol drippy View Post
Man it is so hard to sort through this thread.

This may have been answered but does anyone know if you can just monitor through their console screen without printing the effects? I'd like to have the option to do one or the other at times.
Yes you can.
Attached Thumbnails
Universal Audio Apollo interface-console-snaphot.jpg  
Old 27th February 2012
Gear maniac

Awesome, thanks for the info!
Old 27th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoovemode View Post
Has anyone got one yet? From What one sales place told me they were due to get one on the 22nd. I have not heard back from them though.
They don't ship until MARCH... In fact, I remember reading March 22nd so it's very possible that is what the dealer meant

Speculate on!
Old 27th February 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdenton View Post
News flash...

A bunch of great artists don't mean sh*t!

A great room don't mean sh*t!

A U87 don't mean sh*t!

A great preamp don't mean sh*t!

A Neve console don't mean sh*t!

A ton of great outboard don't mean sh*t!

A Burl converter don't mean sh*t!

Not to the guy with the 003 Rack sitting in his bedroom or basement using VIs for almost everything, with perhaps a DI'd guitar or bass, and maybe a $300 Chinese mic and a Reflexion filter for a vocal booth.

None of that means sh*t to that guy, who is part of a very large market, and who just found out that Pro Tools 11, which will be 64-bit and allow him to run all of the VIs he can stand, probably will not work with his 003 Rack.

But the Apollo, which he (or possibly his dad/mom), can buy from Musician's Friend or Guitar Center (or Sweetwater or Vintage King) will mean a great deal to him...

And it's probably going to mean a sh*tload of money for UA...
for rizzle. The artists talent and dedication/or the engineers is the important part
Old 27th February 2012
Lives for gear

No speculation goof! Dude told me feb 22. Whether he is correct or not is not my fault.
Old 28th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathanz View Post
Yes you can.

Old 28th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
I found for PThD on eBay with an ilok for $499. PT10HD is $899.
Ahh yes the mysterious cheap PTHD licence only deals on ebay , great until you try and update the licence and you require a HD card serial/registration...

Old 28th February 2012
MediaMix

Quote:
Not TRUE!! At all! I qualify for a 10 upgrade, all day long!!
It is true. You can't register it so you will not qualify for 10 upgrade price. You can only get the upgrade price on registered software in your Avid account. You have to get full ebay version again for 10HD. Been there, done that with Avid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAFKAT View Post
Ahh yes the mysterious cheap PTHD licence only deals on ebay , great until you try and update the licence and you require a HD card serial/registration...
True indeed.
Old 28th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
It is true. You can't register it so you will not qualify for 10 upgrade price. You can only get the upgrade price on registered software in your Avid account. You have to get full ebay version again for 10HD. Been there, done that with Avid.

True indeed.
LOL! Ok you guys win.

Wow
Old 28th February 2012
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by depulse View Post
And UA continous their ridiculus overpricing for the UAD2 DSPs. $500 extra for $50 extra of chips. Must cost them more to do two versions than what they gain from this. If they had made a 4 DSP and a 8 DSP version I could understand it.

Appart from this, it looks like an interesting products. I'd like to know how much they plan to charge for the Thunderbolt card.
It's an extra 500$ for the thunderbolt expansion, I think it's totally worth it though.
Old 28th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Zane View Post
It's an extra 500$ for the thunderbolt expansion, I think it's totally worth it though.
I wonder how other TB device manufacturers implement TB interfaces for a small fraction of that amount.

Apple, who has premium prices on all their products, charges $999 for a beautiful TB 27" display. $500 of that isn't for the TB i/o since the same DVI monitor that preceded it was the same price.

You are getting gouged. It's not expensive tech. UA should be charging $150.
Old 28th February 2012
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoovemode View Post
Not yet! Was told Feb 29th by my Sweetwater sales engineer... Haven't heard anything different but lets see what happens... I can't wait to get that thing in to the studio.
Old 28th February 2012
Quote:
LOL! Ok you guys win.

Wow
Win.. that's an interesting word, yes.... hmmmmmmmm

(I must go now.... not safe to speak here now.....)
Old 28th February 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by travisbrown View Post
Given the hype/hopes/fears/dreams that seem to be riding on the Apollo, $500 doesn't seem unreasonable from a marketing standpoint. Plenty of people will be more than happy to drop that for the claims of stability, low latency, mojo enhancement, etc. I'm not planning on soldering my own TB expansion card...

For the early adopter crowd, I think they got it right. Given the number of people who shelled out $2.5k for one sound unheard, UA can expect healthy TB sales this summer. They can lower the price after that if need be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules View Post
(I must go now.... not safe to speak here now.....)
I think you're pretty much good to go anywhere on GS, any time of day or night...
Old 28th February 2012
Gear maniac

Going Thunderbolt means replacing my mac pro - unless the next mac pro has a video card with thunderbolt built in... I don't see how else they would do it. So, hopefully a PCIe upgrade card for older machines.

When I say older - my 2009/10 8 core really doesn't need replacing other than the thunderbolt issue!

Unless of course we have seen the last of the mac pro... I'm not keen to downgrade to a mac mini server at this point!

$500 definitely seems over the top for the TB card, from what I've read, this number seems not to have come from anywhere official so I doubt it's true.

The cost of thunderbolt accessories will decrease further when intel releases it's cheaper v2 chipset for thunderbolt also. Maybe that's UA's TB card v1.1... Early adopters pay more.
Old 28th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
The unit exists and is in production. It's not merely on paper as you so idiotically stated, thus adding nothing to the discussion except your ignorance.

Prove that it only exists on paper or you shut up.
Nobody has them. It's not available anywhere...word is it will be shipping sometime in March or April (the February 22nd date obviously didn't happen). There are no reports of anyone anywhere purchasing and receiving one...just the pre-production models that were displayed at NAMM and used for official demos.

Quote:
Apple, who has premium prices on all their products, charges $999 for a beautiful TB 27" display. $500 of that isn't for the TB i/o since the same DVI monitor that preceded it was the same price.

Are you serious? Just because Apple was already charging $999 for their 27" monitor...which is, what, five or six times what the average 27" monitor costs these days...you think it is reasonable?

Not to mention the fact that Apple sells a huge amount of their displays. The Apollo is a relatively nich-ey product, and the cost to engineer the Thunderbolt card will have to be spread across a number of units that's a small fraction of what Apple sells in displays.
Old 28th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duardo View Post
Not to mention the fact that Apple sells a huge amount of their displays. The Apollo is a relatively nich-ey product, and the cost to engineer the Thunderbolt card will have to be spread across a number of units that's a small fraction of what Apple sells in displays.
OMG!! Is this thread heading for sense and sensibility ?!? noooooooo...

This is exactly why it is daft to consider the price of the DUO or QUAD card in the Apollo, and subtracting from the rest (converters, pre's, DSP), and then come in here and flame a product that is yet to be released.

By all means, the DUO and QUAD in the Apollo costs the chips and circuit, NOT the R&D, not the packaging, distribution, marketing etc.

Wake up people.
Old 28th February 2012
Gear maniac

Yes, definitely a steep price increase for 2 extra DSPs. Had it been quad base model and octo deluxe model that would have been cool.
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search