Universal Audio Apollo interface
23rd February 2012
Old 23rd February 2012
Gear maniac

IMO, it's silly to rely on the release of a product to get work done. Grab the MH because I doubt anybody is going to be seeing the Apollo this week. The speculation seems to point that the Apollo with likely be similar to the 4-710D but with built-in DSP instead of tubes. If the DSP isn't a huge concern, then a 4-710D and 2882 will probably sound similar (assuming the speculation is correct). You shouldn't be waiting on the Apollo to do some work.
23rd February 2012
Old 23rd February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazrak View Post
IMO, it's silly to rely on the release of a product to get work done. Grab the MH because I doubt anybody is going to be seeing the Apollo this week. The speculation seems to point that the Apollo with likely be similar to the 4-710D but with built-in DSP instead of tubes. If the DSP isn't a huge concern, then a 4-710D and 2882 will probably sound similar (assuming the speculation is correct). You shouldn't be waiting on the Apollo to do some work.
I was thinking in a similar way. The reason why I held off on the MH 2882 is the mic preamps. If I purchased the MH 2882, I would probably have to hold onto the 4-710d to help support the Mic Preamp gain concerns of the MH 2882. However, If I was able to get the Apollo theoretically it's Mic Preamps have more gain than the MH. I'm not saying the Apollo Mic Preamps will sound better, but they may be better suited for low level sources, which I doubt will come across, but I'd rather have it and not need it then need it and not have it.
23rd February 2012
Old 23rd February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAMCRISIS View Post
You sound like no matter what, you got your mind set that the Apollo isn't good even though it hasn't been released yet. If that's how you feel, more power to you brother. But like I said, I guarantee this will sound better then what I'm using now and maybe even a lot of other interfaces. You sound like your one of those guys that has to hear a big record or album recorded and mixed on it before you can give it it's props regardless if it sounds good or not. Who knows, I may be the one who makes that 1st classic/great album using a Apollo. You never know. Their were great/classic albums created before there was Pro Tools... There's great albums that were created using Pro Tools... Same goes for plugins that are out now that weren't out before. So you can't say there will never be a great album recorded through an Apollo. Your not Nostradamus my friend... Tuh... How dare you... LoL... I don't know about a usb mic but I do know with my new JJ Audio Akita or my AT4033a, my Great River ME-1NV, my dbx160, my brand new fully blown 17" Macbook Pro, Pro Tools 10, The Apollo Quad & A Satellite Quad with all the UAD plugins, Waves and a few others in this treated room, equipped with a booth ... I'll be making many hits my friend... Believe that!
Something like these... Is what I meant!!!

Now back to the Apollo.
Attached Thumbnails
Universal Audio Apollo interface-imageuploadedbygearslutz1330030642.934466.jpg  
23rd February 2012
Old 23rd February 2012
Gear addict

I'm interested in the Apollo, for a couple of reasons...it is a pretty compelling product, as are most of UA's offerings.

My question is if I will be able to use both the analog outs and the ADAT outs with an extra 8 channels of Rosetta converters...and the same at recording.

If so, I'm pretty excited about it. The sound of the UA stuff could be as clean as it wants to then, as long as I'd have the option of hooking up the channels I'm used to. The desk I want to integrate is a really funky sounding '67 germanium desk, so just discrete channels of that will go a long way.

So, does anyone know the functionality of the ADAT I/O yet?
24th February 2012
Old 24th February 2012
Gear maniac

It will work with a Rosetta 800 just fine, at all sample rates. (with two Lightpipe leads for SMUX.)

I've ordered an Apollo quad and will do just that with my Rosetta...
24th February 2012
Old 24th February 2012
Gear interested

just for info:
"Apollo will work with any DAW that supports Core Audio on Apple Mac OS X 10.6 or higher —including10.7 Lion."

Here:
uaudio.com/blog/apollo-faq/?utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=2012_03ZINE&utm_source=promo:uad1&utm_content=%2Fblog%2Fapollo-faq%2F

People on 10.5.8 like me we need to update.
24th February 2012
Old 24th February 2012
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR Music View Post
Something like these... Is what I meant!!!

Now back to the Apollo.
This thread.... Every time I try to get out.... They Pull me right back in!

Lol... Bro that room looks like it's a foot (if that) wider then my room... And I see a big window behind the "treatment" ... I'll rather have 4 solid 6" walls, ceiling and floated floor that were built specifically for the studio with a little treatment (more can always be added later) then be in a regular room with a few treatment pads that won't block sounds from outside (car horns, alarms, plains, etc)... I understood what you were saying... I was just trying to point out why I don't have more treatment on my walls. My studio was built from scratch to be a studio... It wasn't a room in an apartment/house that needed treatment.. At the end of the day, I've seen worst rooms produce great mixes... Like I said, "It's not the car it's who's driving". But yeah, Back to the Apollo...

This should give you a better picture of how big my studio is... This was taken before I switched to the yamaha's I have now....

24th February 2012
Old 24th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAMCRISIS View Post
This thread.... Every time I try to get out.... They Pull me right back in!

Lol... Bro that room looks like it's a foot (if that) wider then my room... And I see a big window behind the "treatment" ... I'll rather have 4 solid 6" walls, ceiling and floated floor that were built specifically for the studio with a little treatment (more can always be added later) then be in a regular room with a few treatment pads that won't block sounds from outside (car horns, alarms, plains, etc)... I understood what you were saying... I was just trying to point out why I don't have more treatment on my walls. My studio was built from scratch to be a studio... It wasn't a room in an apartment/house that needed treatment.. At the end of the day, I've seen worst rooms produce great mixes... Like I said, "It's not the car it's who's driving". But yeah, Back to the Apollo...

This should give you a better picture of how big my studio is... This was taken before I switched to the yamaha's I have now....

I'm not saying you room isn't built well. Great job! All I'm saying is to treat it later with treatment that will benefit you more, like the pic, and that was why I posted that pic because it's the size of your room.
The room is well built but it's a smaller box, and smaller box rooms need help of Acoustic Treatment which you will add later, right!!?? So check the pic it a good idea of placement. DIY treatment I the way to go if you have time!
Ok back to the Apollo.
24th February 2012
Old 24th February 2012
Gear addict

Mac Mini?
Hi, I've searched through this thread and couldn't find the answer but please excuse me if it's already been discussed.
I can't think any reason why a new Mac Mini with thunderbolt, FW800 and USB wouldn't work well with this unit and PT10 Native.

I'm thinking of going that route as a replacement for my g4/002/ PT6.4 home system which I use mostly for overdubs of single instruments, vocals, and the occasional Horn or two. Plus mixing. I also have acess to a large HD system so i'm covered for any heavy duty sessions but for mixing 28 or so tracks I don't usually crap out with my old RTAS waves gold bundle on the old system so this should be a drastic improvement. Plus I can finally be compatible again with the studio computer. (PT6.4, )
I was going to plunk down the loot for a new loaded mac pro and maybe an omni or small hd system but I keep thinking that this little 700buck mini might just do the trick. I can snap in up to 16 gigs of ram, use my existing firewire drives plus get a thunderbolt drive. Can any of you see a problem with this approach?
The only thing else I think I may need is a USB midi box like a Motu Micro express or M-audio midisport.
Thanks.
24th February 2012
Old 24th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by C//AZM View Post
Mac Mini?
Hi, I've searched through this thread and couldn't find the answer but please excuse me if it's already been discussed.
I can't think any reason why a new Mac Mini with thunderbolt, FW800 and USB wouldn't work well with this unit and PT10 Native.

I'm thinking of going that route as a replacement for my g4/002/ PT6.4 home system which I use mostly for overdubs of single instruments, vocals, and the occasional Horn or two. Plus mixing. I also have acess to a large HD system so i'm covered for any heavy duty sessions but for mixing 28 or so tracks I don't usually crap out with my old RTAS waves gold bundle on the old system so this should be a drastic improvement. Plus I can finally be compatible again with the studio computer. (PT6.4, )
I was going to plunk down the loot for a new loaded mac pro and maybe an omni or small hd system but I keep thinking that this little 700buck mini might just do the trick. I can snap in up to 16 gigs of ram, use my existing firewire drives plus get a thunderbolt drive. Can any of you see a problem with this approach?
The only thing else I think I may need is a USB midi box like a Motu Micro express or M-audio midisport.
Thanks.
Seems like a great idea to me.

When the Thunderbolt option comes out in the summer, you can connect to the Mini via Thunderbolt, and since the Apollo is designed to act like a device hub, you could safely daisy-chain a FW800 drive off the Apollo without it disturbing the Thunderbolt bus. Lots of power in a small form factor, and will (does) work with Pro Tools 10 software. You would also have a few USB ports on the mini to use for MIDI/iLoks.

Go for it!
24th February 2012
Old 24th February 2012
Gear maniac

I plan on using the Apollo with a Mac Mini via TB if the reviews are favorable.
24th February 2012
Old 24th February 2012
Gear Head

Anybody know if the built-in preamps can be routed out the spidif? It does not look like it...
24th February 2012
Old 24th February 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avening View Post
Seems like a great idea to me.

When the Thunderbolt option comes out in the summer, you can connect to the Mini via Thunderbolt, and since the Apollo is designed to act like a device hub, you could safely daisy-chain a FW800 drive off the Apollo without it disturbing the Thunderbolt bus. Lots of power in a small form factor, and will (does) work with Pro Tools 10 software. You would also have a few USB ports on the mini to use for MIDI/iLoks.

Go for it!
Thanks, I think I will. I still have a brain boggle looking at that tiny box thinking" No way is that receptionist box gonna work."

I know it's just my brain not letting go."expansion slots?, gotta have expansion slots, maybe even an expansion chassis plus a bulk eraser, an sbx 80, some leader tape and a box of razerblades!"
24th February 2012
Old 24th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks, I think I will. I still have a brain boggle looking at that tiny box thinking" No way is that receptionist box gonna work."

I know it's just my brain not letting go."expansion slots?, gotta have expansion slots, maybe even an expansion chassis plus a bulk eraser, an sbx 80, some leader tape and a box of razerblades!"
I hear ya man, trust me I do! Was on an HD2 rig / G5 setup for years and years and it took me the world to trust my work (which became very mobile in recent years) to a little Laptop and a UFX via USB. The mini is deceivingly powerful, however.

I'm on the pre-order list for the Apollo and will keep the one I like the most between it and the UFX. Still, it's pretty amazing how far technology has come in such a short time.
24th February 2012
Old 24th February 2012
Lives for gear

since you can track through plugs with the apollo, isnt it time that UA makes some amp sims?
GPl
25th February 2012
Old 25th February 2012
GPl
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks.
As for the mac mini, the only ram upgrade I see is for 8Gb, and after choosing an i7 2.7G w/7200 drives and a few other accessories the price bumped up to $1500.xx
8Gb ram should be good though...
25th February 2012
Old 25th February 2012
Lives for gear

Owc.com
25th February 2012
Old 25th February 2012
Gear interested

I have a question that hopefully someone here could answer.

I was talking to a sales person in a big music store here in sweden and he said that you could put on the UAD plugins BEFORE the DA converter... I have been searching about the signal path for UAD Apollo but not find the answer yet.

Is it really possible? I mean the plugins are digital, so how is that possible? I think he just saidthe regular sales rubbish but still I need to get it confirmed
25th February 2012
Old 25th February 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPl View Post
As for the mac mini, the only ram upgrade I see is for 8Gb, and after choosing an i7 2.7G w/7200 drives and a few other accessories the price bumped up to $1500.xx
Yeah I saw that and was also freaked when I saw that Apple charges 200 bucks to go from 2 to 4 gigs of ram. So I looked around and saw this:

Memory, Drives, Free Installation Guides for Apple Mac mini and more – up to 640GB Hard Drives, up to 8.0GB Memory, Faster Optical Drives, Accessories + more just for Mac mini

This really threw me so I called them and the Other world guy says that, yes that mac mini in question does in fact handle 16 gigs of ram despite what Apple's website says. They've done it, he's seen it and it works well. I was skeptical but the Other world guy's argument was compelling, logical and convincing. Plus I don't think that it's in their interest to cheat me.

The Apple phone sales guy gave me the standard "we don't support it, what if there's a problem, blah blah blah.

I wonder if a jump from a 2.5 ghz i5 to a 2.7ghz i7 will be worth the jump in price and I would rather get the smallish solid state drive than have a large internal drive, but most def not the 5400rpm.

Since I will probably upgrade the ram through someone like Otherworld, it's either the 2.5 i5 with minimal ram or the 2.7 i7 with minimal ram. Or I could get into the iMac line which are all more powerful but I really don't need the monitor as i have a really cool, brand new 32 incher.. unless I change my mind altogether and spew my wad on a big a$$ macpro. At any rate, I will wait till the next big mac announcement which i think will be March 7th
25th February 2012
Old 25th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPl View Post

I'm pretty sure you can use the same 8Gb sticks x2 that you can in the MacBook Pro for a total of 16Gb. But they are extremely expensive, as you've stated. The only major upgrade I'd do to the Mini would be the SSD, but I'm sure you could source it somewhere else for cheaper than the apple store!

Regardless, that's the beauty of this Apollo I suppose ... All your plugins during your sessions will be on the built in UAD card and not taxing the resources on your computer.
25th February 2012
Old 25th February 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajustment View Post
I have a question that hopefully someone here could answer.

I was talking to a sales person in a big music store here in sweden and he said that you could put on the UAD plugins BEFORE the DA converter... I have been searching about the signal path for UAD Apollo but not find the answer yet.

Is it really possible? I mean the plugins are digital, so how is that possible? I think he just saidthe regular sales rubbish but still I need to get it confirmed
of course any plugs will be before the DA, everything is before the DA.
DA means digital to analog, it's the last step before the signal is sent to your monitors if analog).
What the seller meant is "put the plug before it hits the DAW (not DA) so there is no latency.
The DAW is your recording software (logic, cubase...)
25th February 2012
Old 25th February 2012
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by isma View Post
of course any plugs will be before the DA, everything is before the DA.
DA means digital to analog, it's the last step before the signal is sent to your monitors if analog).
What the seller meant is "put the plug before it hits the DAW (not DA) so there is no latency.
The DAW is your recording software (logic, cubase...)
Sorry... I mean before the AD converter
25th February 2012
Old 25th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Sorry... I mean before the AD converter
Sweden has Guitar Center stores?
25th February 2012
Old 25th February 2012
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneinaPond View Post
Sweden has Guitar Center stores?
Haha... yes we do. But I was talking about "mug.se" wish is probebly the largest online music store in sweden.

How the hack is it possible to put digital plugins before AD converter?
25th February 2012
Old 25th February 2012
Lives for gear

GC is in Europe!? O no!!!! GC sucks! Seriously.
25th February 2012
Old 25th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Haha... yes we do. But I was talking about "mug.se" wish is probebly the largest online music store in sweden.

Perhaps UA has access to an alternate universe where they have the ability to shred the laws of physics. Atomic osmosis?

25th February 2012
Old 25th February 2012
Gear addict

Quote:

No as the plugs are digital so they need to act on a digital source.
The analog source will be converted first like in a digtal fx unit.
25th February 2012
Old 25th February 2012
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avening View Post
I'm pretty sure you can use the same 8Gb sticks x2 that you can in the MacBook Pro for a total of 16Gb. But they are extremely expensive, as you've stated. The only major upgrade I'd do to the Mini would be the SSD, but I'm sure you could source it somewhere else for cheaper than the apple store!

Regardless, that's the beauty of this Apollo I suppose ... All your plugins during your sessions will be on the built in UAD card and not taxing the resources on your computer.

Not so. Just got a pair for my 2011 MPB i7 for $134 shipped. 16GB goodness.
25th February 2012
Old 25th February 2012
Lives for gear

The Mini is just the guts of a MBP - sans the keyboard and screen. What you can do to a MBP you can do to a Mini. Regardless what the Apple goons tell you. 16GB RAM is a go. Look around, some 8GB Dimms are going for decent money.
25th February 2012
Old 25th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Category 5 View Post
Not so. Just got a pair for my 2011 MPB i7 for $134 shipped. 16GB goodness.
Where from??
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search