Subscribe
GPl
25th February 2012
Old 25th February 2012
GPl
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by C//AZM View Post
I was going to plunk down the loot for a new loaded mac pro and maybe an omni or small hd system but I keep thinking that this little 700buck mini might just do the trick. I can snap in up to 16 gigs of ram, use my existing firewire drives plus get a thunderbolt drive. Can any of you see a problem with this approach?
The only thing else I think I may need is a USB midi box like a Motu Micro express or M-audio midisport.
Thanks.
As for the mac mini, the only ram upgrade I see is for 8Gb, and after choosing an i7 2.7G w/7200 drives and a few other accessories the price bumped up to $1500.xx
8Gb ram should be good though...

"Two degrees in bebop, a PHD in swing, he's the master of rhythm, he's a rock and roll king" -Lowell George-

AMP WIZARD "Forest Gumble" "When the air becomes electric....It's like a box of chocolates"
25th February 2012
Old 25th February 2012
Lives for gear

Owc.com
25th February 2012
Old 25th February 2012
Gear interested

I have a question that hopefully someone here could answer.

I was talking to a sales person in a big music store here in sweden and he said that you could put on the UAD plugins BEFORE the DA converter... I have been searching about the signal path for UAD Apollo but not find the answer yet.

Is it really possible? I mean the plugins are digital, so how is that possible? I think he just saidthe regular sales rubbish but still I need to get it confirmed
25th February 2012
Old 25th February 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPl View Post
As for the mac mini, the only ram upgrade I see is for 8Gb, and after choosing an i7 2.7G w/7200 drives and a few other accessories the price bumped up to $1500.xx
Yeah I saw that and was also freaked when I saw that Apple charges 200 bucks to go from 2 to 4 gigs of ram. So I looked around and saw this:

Memory, Drives, Free Installation Guides for Apple Mac mini and more – up to 640GB Hard Drives, up to 8.0GB Memory, Faster Optical Drives, Accessories + more just for Mac mini

This really threw me so I called them and the Other world guy says that, yes that mac mini in question does in fact handle 16 gigs of ram despite what Apple's website says. They've done it, he's seen it and it works well. I was skeptical but the Other world guy's argument was compelling, logical and convincing. Plus I don't think that it's in their interest to cheat me.

The Apple phone sales guy gave me the standard "we don't support it, what if there's a problem, blah blah blah.

I wonder if a jump from a 2.5 ghz i5 to a 2.7ghz i7 will be worth the jump in price and I would rather get the smallish solid state drive than have a large internal drive, but most def not the 5400rpm.

Since I will probably upgrade the ram through someone like Otherworld, it's either the 2.5 i5 with minimal ram or the 2.7 i7 with minimal ram. Or I could get into the iMac line which are all more powerful but I really don't need the monitor as i have a really cool, brand new 32 incher.. unless I change my mind altogether and spew my wad on a big a$$ macpro. At any rate, I will wait till the next big mac announcement which i think will be March 7th
25th February 2012
Old 25th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPl View Post

I'm pretty sure you can use the same 8Gb sticks x2 that you can in the MacBook Pro for a total of 16Gb. But they are extremely expensive, as you've stated. The only major upgrade I'd do to the Mini would be the SSD, but I'm sure you could source it somewhere else for cheaper than the apple store!

Regardless, that's the beauty of this Apollo I suppose ... All your plugins during your sessions will be on the built in UAD card and not taxing the resources on your computer.

25th February 2012
Old 25th February 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajustment View Post
I have a question that hopefully someone here could answer.

I was talking to a sales person in a big music store here in sweden and he said that you could put on the UAD plugins BEFORE the DA converter... I have been searching about the signal path for UAD Apollo but not find the answer yet.

Is it really possible? I mean the plugins are digital, so how is that possible? I think he just saidthe regular sales rubbish but still I need to get it confirmed
of course any plugs will be before the DA, everything is before the DA.
DA means digital to analog, it's the last step before the signal is sent to your monitors if analog).
What the seller meant is "put the plug before it hits the DAW (not DA) so there is no latency.
The DAW is your recording software (logic, cubase...)
25th February 2012
Old 25th February 2012
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by isma View Post
of course any plugs will be before the DA, everything is before the DA.
DA means digital to analog, it's the last step before the signal is sent to your monitors if analog).
What the seller meant is "put the plug before it hits the DAW (not DA) so there is no latency.
The DAW is your recording software (logic, cubase...)
Sorry... I mean before the AD converter
25th February 2012
Old 25th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Sorry... I mean before the AD converter
Sweden has Guitar Center stores?
25th February 2012
Old 25th February 2012
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneinaPond View Post
Sweden has Guitar Center stores?
Haha... yes we do. But I was talking about "mug.se" wish is probebly the largest online music store in sweden.

How the hack is it possible to put digital plugins before AD converter?
25th February 2012
Old 25th February 2012
Lives for gear

GC is in Europe!? O no!!!! GC sucks! Seriously.
25th February 2012
Old 25th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Haha... yes we do. But I was talking about "mug.se" wish is probebly the largest online music store in sweden.

Perhaps UA has access to an alternate universe where they have the ability to shred the laws of physics. Atomic osmosis?

Food For Thought - the Books
25th February 2012
Old 25th February 2012
Gear addict

Quote:

No as the plugs are digital so they need to act on a digital source.
The analog source will be converted first like in a digtal fx unit.
25th February 2012
Old 25th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avening View Post
I'm pretty sure you can use the same 8Gb sticks x2 that you can in the MacBook Pro for a total of 16Gb. But they are extremely expensive, as you've stated. The only major upgrade I'd do to the Mini would be the SSD, but I'm sure you could source it somewhere else for cheaper than the apple store!

Regardless, that's the beauty of this Apollo I suppose ... All your plugins during your sessions will be on the built in UAD card and not taxing the resources on your computer.

Not so. Just got a pair for my 2011 MPB i7 for $134 shipped. 16GB goodness.
25th February 2012
Old 25th February 2012
Lives for gear

The Mini is just the guts of a MBP - sans the keyboard and screen. What you can do to a MBP you can do to a Mini. Regardless what the Apple goons tell you. 16GB RAM is a go. Look around, some 8GB Dimms are going for decent money.

Suffering from one of Lifes greatest atrocities..and one of its greatest triumphs ~ Self Education
25th February 2012
Old 25th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Category 5 View Post
Where from??
26th February 2012
Old 26th February 2012
Lives for gear

I was sold on the Apollo, but now I have second thoughts (since I already have the 4-710d). If the Apollo and 4-710 have the same converters and the 4-710 has better mic preamps, I may get one of those interfaces that have a good set digital connections. This will allow me to use the 4-710 converters instead of the interface converters. Theoretically, this should sound as good or better than the Apollo, without the UAD. If it don't I'll simply sell what I have and get the Apollo. It sounds like 4-710 would be a good match for the Apollo. But, they both do almost the same thing, but one has DA and UAD-2.
26th February 2012
Old 26th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Please share!!! I have the 2011 Quad 2.3 i7 MBP and would love to do the 16GB upgrade.
26th February 2012
Old 26th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoovemode View Post
I was sold on the Apollo, but now I have second thoughts (since I already have the 4-710d). If the Apollo and 4-710 have the same converters and the 4-710 has better mic preamps, I may get one of those interfaces that have a good set digital connections. This will allow me to use the 4-710 converters instead of the interface converters. Theoretically, this should sound as good or better than the Apollo, without the UAD. If it don't I'll simply sell what I have and get the Apollo. It sounds like 4-710 would be a good match for the Apollo. But, they both do almost the same thing, but one has DA and UAD-2.
Except the Apollo doesn't appear to have the same converters as the 4-710d. Go on to the UA website and download both user manuals. Go to the specifications page and compare specs in the AD/DA sections. Very, very different.
26th February 2012
Old 26th February 2012
Gear addict

News flash...

A bunch of great artists don't mean sh*t!

A great room don't mean sh*t!

A U87 don't mean sh*t!

A great preamp don't mean sh*t!

A Neve console don't mean sh*t!

A ton of great outboard don't mean sh*t!

A Burl converter don't mean sh*t!

Not to the guy with the 003 Rack sitting in his bedroom or basement using VIs for almost everything, with perhaps a DI'd guitar or bass, and maybe a $300 Chinese mic and a Reflexion filter for a vocal booth.

None of that means sh*t to that guy, who is part of a very large market, and who just found out that Pro Tools 11, which will be 64-bit and allow him to run all of the VIs he can stand, probably will not work with his 003 Rack.

But the Apollo, which he (or possibly his dad/mom), can buy from Musician's Friend or Guitar Center (or Sweetwater or Vintage King) will mean a great deal to him...

And it's probably going to mean a sh*tload of money for UA...

Last edited by bdenton; 26th February 2012 at 02:06 AM.. Reason: I left out a bunch of I's (and the word "converter")
26th February 2012
Old 26th February 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Honestly, if someone doesn't necessarily want the DSP, then why would they even look at the Apollo rather than the UFX or something else? If you only want the preamps/converters, definitely consider getting a more flexible interface and a 4-710D (if the converters are the same). The DSP the whole point to the Apollo, IMO.
26th February 2012
Old 26th February 2012
Lives for gear

i would say thunderbolt as well

UFX is limited to USB 2 and FW correct?

plus the apollo will be stackable

UFX not

etc
26th February 2012
Old 26th February 2012
Gear maniac

there are stackable FW interfaces and tb is not yet an option. nobody should be jumping on the first tb interface available if thats the main attraction for them. there will be plenty of options soon enough, im sure. i guess everybody has different needs though... or something. if i didn't need want UAD plugins, i wouldn't want the apollo, personally.
26th February 2012
Old 26th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazrak View Post
Honestly, if someone doesn't necessarily want the DSP, then why would they even look at the Apollo rather than the UFX or something else? If you only want the preamps/converters, definitely consider getting a more flexible interface and a 4-710D (if the converters are the same). The DSP the whole point to the Apollo, IMO.
I can only speak for this someone but:
+ Thunderbolt
+ Latency
+ FW hub
+ 4 good preamps
+ Great conversion (someone pointed out early that the Apollo has different conversion specs)

I plan to use very few of the UA plugins ... maybe tape simulators if they are included.

Also, MF lists the Apollo as: "Expected to ship 4/23/12"
26th February 2012
Old 26th February 2012
Lives for gear

26th February 2012
Old 26th February 2012
Lives for gear

1500 posts and no one heard it yet other than endorsers
26th February 2012
Old 26th February 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
With the apollo you can use UAD plugs in your home studio or for live performances (wich is not the same as the Totalmix fx plugs), with no latency.
Like a proper FX rack.
You can't do this with a UAD satellite + UFX.
26th February 2012
Old 26th February 2012
Lives for gear

I would much rather stack units and devices with thunderbolt than USB or FW

I think Apogee, MH, and a bunch of others are starting to roll out or announce TB interfaces as well

now thats the hope. if the drivers or stability or sound of this thing dont hold up than something else would be where i look

for me though and my needs this is perfect

i can run the UAD plugs if i want, i have a nice interface that i can finally stack with another, my macbook, external HD's, monitors etc all over TB

but again, i am waiting to hear real world experiences from users and then will try it on my own and decide once i try it, in my room, in my workflow
GPl
26th February 2012
Old 26th February 2012
GPl
Lives for gear

26th February 2012
Old 26th February 2012
Lives for gear

26th February 2012
Old 26th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Was from transintl.com on Valentines day.

Here is best price right now. Not too much more. $160

Newegg.com - CORSAIR 16GB (2 x 8G) 204-Pin DDR3 SO-DIMM DDR3 1333 Laptop Memory Model CMSO16GX3M2A1333C9
Thank you. I remember when these first came out and they were over a grand to purchase. Glad to see they've brought the price back down to earth.

This will be a nice addition when both Pro Tools goes 64-Bit, and the UAD plugins with the Apollo follow suit.

Cheers.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search