Universal Audio Apollo interface
21st February 2012
Old 21st February 2012
Gear maniac

Oh no,
I might have mistook 410D to 4-710D.

It may be 410D.
I don't know what 410D is like because it's not on UA website anymore.
21st February 2012
Old 21st February 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Rabbit View Post
Yes, exactly.
Apollo's AD/DA quality(&character) is as good(or bad?) as 4-710D.
I don't know how good 4-710D's AD/DA is.
I have seen unfavorable comments for the 4-710D converters, mostly by high-enders. BUT, for my situation, it would still be an improvement. I am personally more concerned with the preamps and thunderbolt drivers. The conversion is sure to be clean enough, and the UAD DSP built-in is the selling point for me. I am still waiting for reviews though... and enjoying reading all the commentary! If it's basically a 4-710D package with UAD2 processing and no tube circuits on the preamps, that's not a bad package for my needs.
21st February 2012
Old 21st February 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR Music View Post
I had the ensemble for a year, bought a ProFire2626 kept the pf2626 and bought another PF2626! Very disappointed with the Ensemble! My opinion.
Yes the apollo will sound better then the Emsemble!!
then...i am in,,,,,the only thing that bugs me is the lack of insert n the preamps ....why?they should have in consideration all the possible routing flexibility!
21st February 2012
Old 21st February 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Yes sir!! Talentand and professionalism is key..
21st February 2012
Old 21st February 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazrak View Post
I have seen unfavorable comments for the 4-710D converters, mostly by high-enders. BUT, for my situation, it would still be an improvement. I am personally more concerned with the preamps and thunderbolt drivers. The conversion is sure to be clean enough, and the UAD DSP built-in is the selling point for me. I am still waiting for reviews though... and enjoying reading all the commentary! If it's basically a 4-710D package with UAD2 processing and no tube circuits on the preamps, that's not a bad package for my needs.
Exactly how i feel about it, more than enougt for my needs too, can't wait to put a studer on my rs7k for live performances and a space echo on the AUX1!
21st February 2012
Old 21st February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yes sir!! Talent and and professionalism is key..
That kind of attitude will get you no where.
21st February 2012
Old 21st February 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaDingo View Post
May I ask why?
21st February 2012
Old 21st February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
May I ask why?
Sorry, I TOTALLY meant that as a joke. You are, of course, correct about talent and professionalism.
21st February 2012
Old 21st February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:

Hahahaha.....
21st February 2012
Old 21st February 2012
Gear nut

Quote:
Yes sir!! Talentand and professionalism is key..
That kind of attitude will get this thread nowhere.
21st February 2012
Old 21st February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thats what I meant!!
21st February 2012
Old 21st February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartosz Idzi View Post
This thread has already gotten nowhere
22nd February 2012
Old 22nd February 2012
Gear nut

Just spoke to my "sales engineer" at sweetwater and he told me they'll be getting their 1st batch the 29th of this month then another batch the 1st week of march. He told me that when I pre-ordered it but I just wanted to confirm about "UA running in to production delays." Looks like it might be a rumor or for people who ordered theirs after the first 2 weeks from it being announced. Or it can be true just for other dealers. Who knows?... All I know is that I was told that sweetwater will be getting their 1st shipment of Apollos on time. Guess we'll just have to wait and see. I ordered my Apollo Quad the 1st week they were announced so I should be getting mine out of the 1st batch Feb 29th. I've been dealing with sweetwater and the same "sales engineer" since early 2006 so I doubt he's lying to me. So it looks like I'll have mine with in the next 2 to 3 weeks (fingers crossed). Decided to add a UAD-2 Satellite Quad Omni (with full UAD plugin Library) just to make the experience that much better. . My studio is about to get a shot of steroids. Like I said, if I can get really great mixes using my digi002 or my Mbox 3 Pro with waves plugins... I can't wait to hear what my mixes are going to sound like using the Apollo quad, a Satellite quad and adding UAD plugins to my arsenal. The Thunderbolt connection is just going to make it even better. Have yet to use the Thunderbolt port on my new full-blown 17" Macbook Pro so I'm anxious to see what it can do. This thing is a beast. Combined with the Apollo Quad & Satellite Quad they form Voltron.

22nd February 2012
Old 22nd February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAMCRISIS View Post
Just spoke to my "sales engineer" at sweetwater and he told me they'll be getting their 1st batch the 29th of this month then another batch the 1st week of march. He told me that when I pre-ordered it but I just wanted to confirm about "UA running in to production delays." Looks like it might be a rumor or for people who ordered theirs after the first 2 weeks from it being announced. Or it can be true just for other dealers. Who knows?... All I know is that I was told that sweetwater will be getting their 1st shipment of Apollos on time. Guess we'll just have to wait and see. I ordered my Apollo Quad the 1st week they were announced so I should be getting mine out of the 1st batch Feb 29th. I've been dealing with sweetwater and the same "sales engineer" since early 2006 so I doubt he's lying to me. So it looks like I'll have mine with in the next 2 to 3 weeks (fingers crossed). Decided to add a UAD-2 Satellite Quad Omni (with full UAD plugin Library) just to make the experience that much better. . My studio is about to get a shot of steroids. Like I said, if I can get really great mixes using my digi002 or my Mbox 3 Pro with waves plugins... I can't wait to hear what my mixes are going to sound like using the Apollo quad, a Satellite quad and adding UAD plugins to my arsenal. The Thunderbolt connection is just going to make it even better. Have yet to use the Thunderbolt port on my new full-blown 17" Macbook Pro so I'm anxious to see what it can do. This thing is a beast. Combined with the Apollo Quad & Satellite Quad they form Voltron.

Two Quads!!! Nice....All the power you need!
22nd February 2012
Old 22nd February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Just spoke to my "sales engineer" at sweetwater and he told me they'll be getting their 1st batch the 29th of this month then another batch the 1st week of march. He told me that when I pre-ordered it but I just wanted to confirm about "UA running in to production delays." Looks like it might be a rumor or for people who ordered theirs after the first 2 weeks from it being announced. Or it can be true just for other dealers. Who knows?... All I know is that I was told that sweetwater will be getting their 1st shipment of Apollos on time. Guess we'll just have to wait and see. I ordered my Apollo Quad the 1st week they were announced so I should be getting mine out of the 1st batch Feb 29th. I've been dealing with sweetwater and the same "sales engineer" since early 2006 so I doubt he's lying to me. So it looks like I'll have mine with in the next 2 to 3 weeks (fingers crossed). Decided to add a UAD-2 Satellite Quad Omni (with full UAD plugin Library) just to make the experience that much better. . My studio is about to get a shot of steroids. Like I said, if I can get really great mixes using my digi002 or my Mbox 3 Pro with waves plugins... I can't wait to hear what my mixes are going to sound like using the Apollo quad, a Satellite quad and adding UAD plugins to my arsenal. The Thunderbolt connection is just going to make it even better. Have yet to use the Thunderbolt port on my new full-blown 17" Macbook Pro so I'm anxious to see what it can do. This thing is a beast. Combined with the Apollo Quad & [/IMG]
This will no doubt be a sick system but also, WOW you spent $7K pre-release and seemingly never having used UAD plugs?!?!?! you are a braver (and/or richer) man that I... regardless when these things are actually available you will move to the front of the UAD Class and MUST report back to us
22nd February 2012
Old 22nd February 2012
Gear nut

Well I was already going to buy a UAD satellite Quad Omni so once the Apollo was announced I ordered that instead but then I told my self I should still get the satellite Quad Omni any way and just get it over with. I'm far from being rich. Just been saving my pennies ... Plus it's tax season . Might as well take advantage while I can. I'm going to make money with them doing some recordings & mixes for some friends any way... Mostly all the top engineers I look up to use UAD plugins and they've been proven to pretty much be the best plugins on the market... So it's not like I'm making a completely blind investment. I just don't know anything about the Apollo (minus the satellite chip in it). I already own the Waves diamond bundle and a few other good plugins, I have a new computer, Mic, Mic Pre-Amp, outboard compressor, good monitors, Pro Tools 10, etc... So it's not like I should be getting something more important first with that money. I've never been afraid to throw my money at new gear/software... I guess that's why i'm a "Gear Slut". You got to gamble sometimes If you want to stay ahead... What I could guarantee about the Apollo is that it will sound better then my old digi002 and my new Mbox 3 Pro which I'm using now! Once again, I doubt Universal Audio is going to go out of their way to put out a piece of crap and tarnish their name! This was definitely a power move on the "Audio Interface" market and a nice marketing tactic to get more people to start using UAD plugins. I'm sold! LoL... Will definitely be posting something as soon I get it!

Oh, and that's actually $7,500 (Apollo Quad $2,499, Satellite Quad $4,999)... Not to mention the Thunderbolt card will be $499 when it comes out this summer. SMH! These last 2 years have been killer on my pockets renovating my studio/equipment but it's all for the love of creating music and making my lab the best I can make it! I'm confidant it will all pay for it's self! The sooner the better!
22nd February 2012
Old 22nd February 2012
Gear addict

Quote:

Report back the day your Apollo arrives. Matter of fact, PM & Email me. We placed our preorder through VK the day it was announced (Jan 19th believe). We have a Sweetwater account/rep also. The "production delay" email we got was from VK. It was a response to an email we sent regarding rumors the Quad would ship before the Duo. Thankfully, it was preordered/purchased with the biz AMEX.
22nd February 2012
Old 22nd February 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Rabbit View Post
Hi Everybody! ! Question ! !

When Neve1073 plug-in is Up, is Apollo gonna sound like Neve1073?(in Mic pre wise)
Please answer in YES or NO.
Yes.

Once the Apollo is released, there will be no need for Neve, Trident, Helios, or SSL preamps. In fact, if you also use Antares Mic Modeler the only microphone you'd need to own is a SM57.

Is technology amazing?
22nd February 2012
Old 22nd February 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Sullivan View Post
Yes.

Once the Apollo is released, there will be no need for Neve, Trident, Helios, or SSL preamps. In fact, if you also use Antares Mic Modeler the only microphone you'd need to own is a SM57.

Is technology amazing?
Now I can haz studioz...
22nd February 2012
Old 22nd February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Two Quads!!! Nice....All the power you need!
Why wouldn't you just buy two Apollo Quads? Aren't they supposed to be linkable at some point, which would give you 8 preamps, 16 i/o, 4 headphones, and 8 core processing...for less money?

Not trying to be a jerk, just wondering what I'm missing? Or is it the cost of the plug-ins that is contributing to the high cost of the satellite quad?
22nd February 2012
Old 22nd February 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisrulesmore View Post
Why wouldn't you just buy two Apollo Quads? Aren't they supposed to be linkable at some point, which would give you 8 preamps, 16 i/o, 4 headphones, and 8 core processing...for less money?

Not trying to be a jerk, just wondering what I'm missing? Or is it the cost of the plug-ins that is contributing to the high cost of the satellite quad?
Yes it would have been the cost of the plug-ins that make the Satellite $5000
22nd February 2012
Old 22nd February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yes.

Is technology amazing?
22nd February 2012
Old 22nd February 2012
Lives for gear

You got it.. The omni is all or 95% of there UAD plugins...
22nd February 2012
Old 22nd February 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Thats what I meant!!
22nd February 2012
Old 22nd February 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by superwack View Post
This thread has already gotten nowhere
keep it up baby! keep it up with the apollodashians !
22nd February 2012
Old 22nd February 2012
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisrulesmore View Post

Since I'm bored I'm going to give some more life to this thread....

Me personally, I don't need all of those mic-pre's... The I/O on 1 Apollo is more then enough for me. I produce/record/mix Hip Hop & R&B (mostly Hip Hop). My beats are made in the box with FXPansion GURU or Geist combined with Pro Tools and some virtual instruments. Some times I use Reason. And I record one person at a time using my Great River Mic-Pre and dbx 160 Comp so I'm not to worried about the 4 Mic pre's which I'm sure I can get a good sound from if I did need them. As Far as the the Satellite Quad Omni, If I get that, it comes with almost the hole UAD library (minus 3 plugins) and I save about $3,000 rather then if I were to buy all of the plugins individually which would be $6,000+ with no satellite to run them. 1 UAD satellite quad is $1,500. That's $7,500+ for just 1 quad and the plugins or 1 Quad Satellite with all the plugins for $5,000. 2 Apollo Quads with the thunderbolt cards would be $6,000 with just 3 UAD plugins and to much I/O for me. I would still have to buy all the plugins ($6,000+) For $8,000 I get a quality interface (Apollo), 2 quad satellites and pretty much the entire UAD plugin library (minus 3). To me that make makes much more sense. Can't speak for other peoples needs. I mix strictly in the box so with 2 quads running the complete library of UAD plugins with the option to record using plugins for a vintage console sound with almost zero latency using the Apollo... Not to mention the processing power I would have at my disposal for mixing... It's a no brainer (at least for me). That'll be more then enough processing power for me plus my computer would be free to run my other plugins on top of that (if needed). Eventually I will gets a few instruments to add to my production but it'll be more for layering sounds rather then a bunch of instrument being played like a band. So 4 Mic pres on top of my Great River and 8 line inputs is more then enough for me. Every interface I've ever owned (digi001, 002, Mbox, Mbox 3 Pro) has had more then enough I/O if not to much I/O for what I do to be honest. At the end of the day, I save a lot in the long run and make my studio much better now rather then doing it little by little.

Now I can leave my MBox 3 Pro at home (was going to sell it) at my pre production set up/drawing board and use the Apollo at the studio and just bring the UAD Satellite back and forth with me. Even though I mix in the studio, I'll still be able to load sessions up that have UAD plugins on them just incase... By the summer I'll be adding a new iMac to the studio and using my Macbook Pro at home and when I travel. For the exception of a few outboard pieces (Avalon, 1073 Mic Pre, CL-1B, distressor, and a couple of Mics) I plan on adding to my studio in the future, I won't need anything else for a long time. .

This thread will never end in till some one posts a track that was recorded and mixed with the Apollo! God forbid it's some one that really doesn't know what they're doing..... We'll never hear the end of it!
22nd February 2012
Old 22nd February 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by RightOnRome View Post
with all due respect sir.. i doubt that you are the target audience for this ... you dont have a digiOO2 in your rack ... and you arent in the market for a UFX
Exactly.

That's what I'm trying to say: don't expect the fireworks waiting for Apollo.

It's not long awaited Holy Grail, not a Porsche with Kia price tag. It's just a Kia dressed as Porsche
22nd February 2012
Old 22nd February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Amirian View Post
Exactly.

That's what I'm trying to say: don't expect the fireworks waiting for Apollo.

It's not long awaited Holy Grail, not a Porsche with Kia price tag. It's just a Kia dressed as Porsche
I'm curious.. How exactly is it that you know this?
22nd February 2012
Old 22nd February 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
Yes.

Is technology amazing?
At last.

I heard that God uses the Apollo in His studio as the only piece of gear.

The rest He can do Himself, because He's God.

22nd February 2012
Old 22nd February 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBOY View Post
I'm curious.. How exactly is it that you know this?
I already explained it below.

I owned pretty much everything with UA tag (still have their great 6176, 1167 and UAD-2 Quad) and observe how their policy develops.

Vastly advertised Twin-Finity series is a beautiful shame.
I had 4-710d long enough to tweak it and thoroughly reveal its value.
It's pretty much worthless if you're looking for a serious piece of gear.

It's flat, dead, deceptive, it's the looks over the performance, it's just a trick to get your hard earned bucks

With 4-710d (4 channel pre, solid state/tube potentiometer, onboard AD converters, 4 backlit VU meters) UA entered the world of swiss army knives being nothing more than high polished turd and they soon will reign there.

Their last few pieces of gear look and sound like cheap chinese versions of great UA gear.

Of course they're now made in China.

Please, just don't expect the Apollo to be better than that.
It won't be, because nobody would make a studio grade gear priced like a home studio toys.

Perhaps one day we'll all bow down to some Really Nice All-in-one, but understanding UA's current policy I'm quite sure it's not the Apollo
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search