Universal Audio Apollo interface
New Reply
Subscribe
11th February 2012
Old 11th February 2012
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Amirian View Post
Cheap mic pres, poor converters, lots of shiny diodes and a lot of shebang around it. Surely a recipe for success.

But certainly not for pro sound.

This box can do everything, what as always means that it can't do anything best.

It won't attract serious clients nor bring the smile on mastering engineers' faces.

For home studios and travelling musicians will be enough. There's everything in it to record an idea.

But for studios - no freaking way it would beat for instance Apogee AD16x soundwise.

Cheap chinese recent UA's mic pres are really poor. Not even close to the great 6176.

So why are they calling it a milestone and stuff? Because they have to
I'm interested in this product and looking for unbiased opinion. I would like to know how you could come to this conclusion. Based on the actual usage of this unit, or speculation based on the experience with the other UAD hardwares? Thanks,
11th February 2012
Old 11th February 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by euphoria89 View Post
No, still 8 tracks at 88.2kHz / 96kHz, as you would expect with 2xADAT inputs.

The issue is that you still only have access to 8 inputs, even at 44.1kHz/48kHz, as the other potential inputs are digital mirrors of the first 8.

A lot of people with larger tracking setups who use 44.1/48 would prefer to have access to more IO, which is completely agree with. Whether this is technically possible, i've no idea!
Gotcha. Thanks for clearing that up!
11th February 2012
Old 11th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by euphoria89 View Post
No, still 8 tracks at 88.2kHz / 96kHz, as you would expect with 2xADAT inputs.

The issue is that you still only have access to 8 inputs, even at 44.1kHz/48kHz, as the other potential inputs are digital mirrors of the first 8.

A lot of people with larger tracking setups who use 44.1/48 would prefer to have access to more IO, which is completely agree with. Whether this is technically possible, i've no idea!
Agree, i need 10 tracks sometime to record my drums, so this unit is not for me......:(
11th February 2012
Old 11th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiO View Post
I'm interested in this product and looking for unbiased opinion. I would like to know how you could come to this conclusion. Based on the actual usage of this unit, or speculation based on the experience with the other UAD hardwares? Thanks,
The thing is, there is not a person on this message board that has tried the Apollo, so no one can give you the advice you seek. Also, considering UA has never made an interface before, there's really no point of reference.

If you like UA products, I'm sure you'd have a pretty good chance of enjoying the Apollo. But then again, who knows.

11th February 2012
Old 11th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbone View Post
Agree, i need 10 tracks sometime to record my drums, so this unit is not for me......:(
You have access to 8 analog I/O, and another 8 on ADAT, and another 2 on SPDIF. That's 18 channels simultaneously. Plenty for drums.
11th February 2012
Old 11th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avening View Post
You have access to 8 analog I/O, and another 8 on ADAT, and another 2 on SPDIF. That's 18 channels simultaneously. Plenty for drums.
All with the same converter ????
11th February 2012
Old 11th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
ADAT is a digital connection, so whatever comes through those channels will have already been converted by whatever device is feeding the ADAT connection.
11th February 2012
Old 11th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Come on big bone....
11th February 2012
Old 11th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macaroni View Post
ADAT is a digital connection, so whatever comes through those channels will have already been converted by whatever device is feeding the ADAT connection.
This.

An example would be two UA 4-710d preamps patched into the Apollo via ADAT. That would give you 8 channels of preamp (the A/D conversion already happened on the 4-710d) on a digital IN. You would access this in Pro Tools under ADAT 1-8 in the I/O menu. You would still have access to all 8 analog I/O for use with external preamps, or also use the on-board preamps on the Apollo, plus four external preamps.

In addition, you could then patch a two channel preamp like an API A2D into the SPDIF coaxial input on the Apollo. Like the ADAT inputs, the SPDIF connection is digital, and the A/D conversion would happen on the API A2D. You would access this in Pro Tools under SPDIF 1-2 in the I/O menu. That's 18 Inputs total, at the same time.
11th February 2012
Old 11th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR Music View Post
Come on big bone....
Oki i will be serious.....
11th February 2012
Old 11th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
This.

An example would be two UA 4-710d preamps patched into the Apollo via ADAT. That would give you 8 channels of preamp (the A/D conversion already happened on the 4-710d) on a digital IN. You would access this in Pro Tools under ADAT 1-8 in the I/O menu. You would still have access to all 8 analog I/O for use with external preamps, or also use the on-board preamps on the Apollo, plus four external preamps.

In addition, you could then patch a two channel preamp like an API A2D into the SPDIF coaxial input on the Apollo. Like the ADAT inputs, the SPDIF connection is digital, and the A/D conversion would happen on the API A2D. You would access this in Pro Tools under SPDIF 1-2 in the I/O menu. That's 18 Inputs total, at the same time.
That will work, but you got a few converter on your way out....... that scare me.............
11th February 2012
Old 11th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
That will work, but you got a few converter on your way out....... that scare me.............
Well, if you are using quality products it will not be an issue.

Another way of doing the same thing would be to use an external 8 channel converter that has an ADAT output. You could use Apogee, Burl, Prism, Lynx, Lavry, MyTek, ect. You could then patch in whatever external preamps you want (Neve, API, UA, GR, Chandler, ect..) into the analog inputs of your 8 channel converter, then patch that converter via ADAT into the Apollo. That way you would have 8 channels of Apollo conversion, and eight channels of whatever else you happen to like using.

Having multiple conversion sources is just a part of life in the studio. It's not always practical to have unlimited channels of the same conversion on tap. Especially when you're not working with a console.
11th February 2012
Old 11th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
You could use Apogee, Burl, Prism, Lynx, Lavry, MyTek, ect. You could then patch in whatever external preamps you want (Neve, API, UA, GR, Chandler, ect..) into the analog inputs of your 8 channel converter, then patch that converter via ADAT into the Apollo. That way you would have 8 channels of Apollo conversion, and eight channels of whatever else you happen to like using.
That's what i'm planing to do maybe,but first i will try the Apollo by itself
with 4 EXT mic pre's and the 4 pre's on the Apollo and see what i could do with 8 mic. i'm doing it now and like it. ( the 8 mic )
12th February 2012
Old 12th February 2012
Lives for gear

Someone please say something stupid, and fast !!

This thread is dying out...

Ok ok, I'll go first.

I think the Apollo is a piece of crap. Chuck Norris can feel sub-2ms latency... ?
12th February 2012
Old 12th February 2012
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Bang View Post

Ok, a question, if i buy an extra converter with the Apollo how does the extra Adat show up in my daw? (cubase).

Just like extra i/o?
12th February 2012
Old 12th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flexable View Post
Ok, a question, if i buy an extra converter with the Apollo how does the extra Adat show up in my daw? (cubase).

Just like extra i/o?
No fair!! That is not a stupid question!!

In Cubase, if you hit F4 it opens up the I/O dialog. From there you can set up your matrix.

This is after DSP driver, but it's basically the same for everyone. Say you have the Apollo + an 2 Channel pre ADAT interface. In the input section of Cubase, you just create 10 mono inputs and label them. Here is where you select the "source" for each cubase input.

1 through 8 = Apollo
9 and 10 = Super Duper pre.

Then, as you create your session, you just need select the source input, you'll have 10 available.

For instance, in my little studio I have the MR816x + 8 Adat Octopre mkii

Channel 1 of the octopre (which corresponds to cubase input channel 9), I use as talkback, so I labeled it "talkback". In the future, I'll be adding other external pre's from here on until input 8 of the octopre (cubase input channel 16)

I have a UA 6176 hocked up to channel 2 of the audio interface.

So this could be a possible mock-up of your Cubase input matrix.

1 - Input 1
2 - Universal Audio 6176
3 - Input 3
4 - Input 4
5 - Input 5
6 - Input 6
7 - Input 7
8 - Input 8
9 - Talkback (ADAT 1)
10 - Future Pre 1 (ADAT 2)
11 - Future Pre 2 (ADAT 3)
12 - Octopre Pre 4 (ADAT 4)
13 - Octopre Pre 5 (ADAT 5)
14 - Bass D.I. (ADAT 6)
15 - Receive From Summing Mixer L (ADAT 7)
15 - Receive From Summing Mixer R (ADAT 8)

So in each Cubase channel's input drop down menu, you'll see these easy to read descriptive naming

Does this help?
12th February 2012
Old 12th February 2012
Gear Head

Quote:

Ok ok, I'll go first.

I think the Apollo is a piece of crap. Chuck Norris can feel sub-2ms latency... ?
Yeah, after the vid of Fab using the Apollo live at NAMM and his q&a, this thread jumped BACK over the shark and got boring.

Damn you Fab!.
12th February 2012
Old 12th February 2012
Gear nut

Quote:
No fair!! That is not a stupid question!!

In Cubase, if you hit F4 it opens up the I/O dialog. From there you can set up your matrix.

This is after DSP driver, but it's basically the same for everyone. Say you have the Apollo + an 2 Channel pre ADAT interface. In the input section of Cubase, you just create 10 mono inputs and label them. Here is where you select the "source" for each cubase input.

1 through 8 = Apollo
9 and 10 = Super Duper pre.

Then, as you create your session, you just need select the source input, you'll have 10 available.

For instance, in my little studio I have the MR816x + 8 Adat Octopre mkii

Channel 1 of the octopre (which corresponds to cubase input channel 9), I use as talkback, so I labeled it "talkback". In the future, I'll be adding other external pre's from here on until input 8 of the octopre (cubase input channel 16)

I have a UA 6176 hocked up to channel 2 of the audio interface.

So this could be a possible mock-up of your Cubase input matrix.

1 - Input 1
2 - Universal Audio 6176
3 - Input 3
4 - Input 4
5 - Input 5
6 - Input 6
7 - Input 7
8 - Input 8
9 - Talkback (ADAT 1)
10 - Future Pre 1 (ADAT 2)
11 - Future Pre 2 (ADAT 3)
12 - Octopre Pre 4 (ADAT 4)
13 - Octopre Pre 5 (ADAT 5)
14 - Bass D.I. (ADAT 6)
15 - Receive From Summing Mixer L (ADAT 7)
15 - Receive From Summing Mixer R (ADAT 8)

So in each Cubase channel's input drop down menu, you'll see these easy to read descriptive naming

Does this help?
Thank you so much for this answer, very helpfull indeed.
12th February 2012
Old 12th February 2012
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathanz View Post
Wow, I've just read all 42 pages of this thread in one sitting! What a bunch a wacky scamps you guyz are.
Now I'm gonna use my power drill to open a few extra holes in my head, relieve the pressure.
First, I feel like picking a fight. Can you blame me?

YOU! YEAH, YOU!! How could you be so stupid as not to know that the FU-MF92 processor scams out on the logarithmic x/y variable at over 14x the WTF RU that you so laughably espouse? Moron?
There. Maybe I should google trepanning so I get some tips, do it right.

Couple things first. Congratulations if you've spent 2x 3x 4x+ the $$$ of an Apollo on premium hardware Pres and DACs and have something that you swear actually sounds better than this thing ever possibly could! Maybe I too should sink about 2k into a Symphony I/O card, stare at it till I have another 1700 for the box to put it in, look longingly at that till I can put 2 or 3k into maybe a two channel pre, pray 2 channels will do, and then remember I'll have to shell out another thou for a plugin setup like on the Apollo.
Or should I get the Apollo and hang out on an M-Audio thread, brag on my rig, tell them what a piece of crap the $500 Interface Looking Object they're lusting after really is? Compared to mine. Even if it's all they can afford. Even if they might be able to do more with it than I could ever dream of doing at Abbey Road. Ya never know.
And you couldn't even say this ain't no Swiss Army knife if there was, in fact, no such thing as a Swiss Army knife, which did not, in fact, exist until it was actually invented.

The Apollo could have a good this, a very good that and just a pretty good the other thing and still add up to very VERY good overall, aka more than the sum of its parts. When that happens: magic. Almost anything can be better than it has any right to be. A girlfriend, a car, a day, a song, a shiny piece of gear. If it never happened, we'd all be a lot more cynical than we even are.
There are people here with more serious knowledge in one toe than I have unto the xth generation of my ancestors but we share the same complete ignorance in judging what only the future will tell us. My 2 cents (x100000?) tells me this will I hope I hope I hope, have serious magic musicality.

ONE more thing. There's a sweet spot in spending money to accomplish a particular goal. If my goal is just to sound at least credibly professional, how much? 1k for an Mbox Pro 3? Maaaybe...not? If I go double on an Apollo, would I actually get more bang PER buck? Probably. If I go 4k, will I sound twice as good as on an Apollo? Hmmm. How bout I put a world class mike, say a U87 in front of it? If you're spending lots a dough on legendary shiny boxes, I sure hope you spend a lot MORE on great mikes, the best cables and killer monitors.
Otherwise, you're a collector. (Or the owner of a totally tricked out high end studio.)
And for some of you, intuitive ease of use is not an issue. Maybe you're smart and skilled and patient enough to fiddle your way to perfection. Good for you. I, however, is a very ignint man. Every time I get on the AUX/SPDF bus, I end up lost in some part of town I never seen before and has to walk allaway home. All by myself. At 4 in the morning. An I NEVER ask for directions. So if the Apollo has a recognizably simple analog feel to the workflow, then maybe I won't lose the moment because I don't know whether to cancel or okay some incomprehensible message from some piece of %$*& software that had me outgunned before I ever thought of firing it up.

Last thing. I seriously want to thank the many good willed people on here willing to share some part of their considerable expertise to shed light on... whatever the hell it was you were talking about. I could almost pretend to be a little less ignint, thanks to you. So. Thank you. Now go take a walk!

Q: My Symphony I/O did not include installed rubber feet.
A: As of April 2011, Symphony I/O will no longer ship with rubber feet. Customers worldwide may request rubber feet for their unit by contacting Apogee Technical Support.
...I spent 1700 (plus 2000 per module) and I gotta ask special for the %@#%$ rubber feet???
Pretty please, can I have some rubber feet? That just seems wrong. Baddabing, gottago.
Mine didn't have feet either. What I found out from Apogee is people were screwing them in too tight and the screws would break the main computer parts in there so now they have stick on feet. Or they will send you the feet but if you screw them in too tight it's your fault, no warranty claims!
12th February 2012
Old 12th February 2012
Gear addict

Quote:

Ok ok, I'll go first.

Everybody knows Chuck Norris only Uses X/Y/Z Converters.. but would NEVER EVER use an Apollo...

Com on lets feed the troll...*I want my popocorn :D
GPl
12th February 2012
Old 12th February 2012
GPl
Lives for gear

Where's Walters? He could take this to another level altogether in one post

And Chuck Norris now has an Apollo and is putting it through some rigorous testing as we speak....

"Two degrees in bebop, a PHD in swing, he's the master of rhythm, he's a rock and roll king" -Lowell George-

AMP WIZARD "Forest Gumble" "When the air becomes electric....It's like a box of chocolates"
13th February 2012
Old 13th February 2012
Lives for gear

13th February 2012
Old 13th February 2012
Gear Head

Who the hell is Chuck Norris?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomteontour View Post
Everybody knows Chuck Norris only Uses X/Y/Z Converters.. but would NEVER EVER use an Apollo...

Com on lets feed the troll...*I want my popocorn :D
13th February 2012
Old 13th February 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Both of these are true.

The Apollo is a piece of crap: Chuck Norris' crap.

And of course Chuck Norris can feel 2ms latency. When Chuck Norris refers to a "near-zero-latency-cue-mix," we call it: Reality.

-James
13th February 2012
Old 13th February 2012
Gear Head

Chuck Norris Has An Apollo With 50 Simultaneous Ins and Outs and Thunderbolt 2.0 :-p
14th February 2012
Old 14th February 2012
Lives for gear

i guess there is nothing more to say about this product
14th February 2012
Old 14th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Actually, there is one more thing.
I heard Chuck Norris slapped yo mama and he's planning to do it again.
Whaddaya think about that?

Stupid enough for you?
Don't get me started with stupid.
I got all day stupid.
This thread=dead.

Well known fact that Chuck Norris won't touch anything with less than 107 simultaneous Iny Outies into less than 534 simultaneously enabled tracks at less than 15 degrees below zero latency (and that's centigrade!) running 342 plugins each, that's EACH!! and all routed to no less than 47 separate monitor mixes.
troll..your upset because you spent too much money on your i/o with no feet..funny... insulting people sure does say something about your lack of confidence and experience .. your a real big man hiding behind your computer
14th February 2012
Old 14th February 2012
Lives for gear

[QUOTE= insulting people sure does say something about your lack of confidence and experience .. your a real big man hiding behind your computer[/QUOTE]

Some on GS are... Sucks... We should be helping each other...
14th February 2012
Old 14th February 2012
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by RightOnRome View Post
troll..your upset because you spent too much money on your i/o with no feet..funny... insulting people sure does say something about your lack of confidence and experience .. your a real big man hiding behind your computer
Actually, I'm only shopping for an interface. I got nothing.
The "Q and A" I printed about the rubber feet
was lifted from the FAQ on Apogee's website.
I guess I didn't make that clear,
and I certainly did not mean to offend anyone.
I'm sorry, I guess I got carried away.
14th February 2012
Old 14th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Actually, I'm only shopping for one. I got nothing.
The "Q and A" I printed about the rubber feet
was lifted from the FAQ on Apogee's website.
I guess I didn't make that clear,
and I certainly did not mean to offend anyone.
I'm sorry, I guess I got carried away.

its all good..and thanks for that...
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search