Universal Audio Apollo interface
New Reply
Subscribe
24th January 2012
Old 24th January 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmbientArchitect View Post
New UK pricing. Now that's what I'm talking about!

Absolute Music UK Online Store
Now that's more like it. Checked their website yesterday and they were showing Duo £2149 and Quad £2699. The others like 247DV should match them. This I think will be my next upgrade as currently I'm using a Echo Audiofire 8 which I have used for 8 years now. I will have to wait until the summer though as I'm on a PC and want to know how the drivers perform first before I purchase as my Audiofire has been rock solid. As long as they are solid I will buy. But that's great news.
24th January 2012
Old 24th January 2012
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Baron View Post
Prices in euros

Search for APOLLO en DV247.ES

More than I expected.

We´ll see prices in summer.
Much less than that now. I've seen €1999 quoted for the DUO in Germany and France, convert these freshly updated UK prices and you'll see. It's what I expected and I'm happy, my money is on the table.

Absolute Music UK Online Store
24th January 2012
Old 24th January 2012
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by satissounds View Post
Now that's more like it. Checked their website yesterday and they were showing Duo £2149 and Quad £2699. The others like 247DV should match them. This I think will be my next upgrade as currently I'm using a Echo Audiofire 8 which I have used for 8 years now. I will have to wait until the summer though as I'm on a PC and want to know how the drivers perform first before I purchase as my Audiofire has been rock solid. As long as there solid I will buy. But that's great news.
Yeah made my day. I was in contact with UAD etc about it because it just didn't make sense. Well, that is the new price, others will of course follow but Absolute Music have always been cool with me, they get my business every time.
24th January 2012
Old 24th January 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmbientArchitect View Post
Yeah made my day. I was in contact with UAD etc about it because it just didn't make sense. Well, that is the new price, others will of course follow but Absolute Music have always been cool with me, they get my business every time.
Yea I have been buying from them when I they were The M Corporation. Brought most of my gear from them over the years. Still got some of it even now. At that prices might even get myself a Quad. Got to decide yet.
This has made my day too.
24th January 2012
Old 24th January 2012
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by satissounds View Post
Yea I have been buying from them when I they were The M Corporation. Brought most of my gear from them over the years. Still got some of it even now. At that prices might even get myself a Quad. Got to decide yet.
This has made my day too.
Had thought about the quad with those prices too, but I need the TB expansion card as well as a Sonnet Echo TB chassis for my PCIe Solo. Enough juice for me I think!

I'll also be hooking this up with my RME FF800, so that should be enough I/O for me!

I know there is plenty of debate over the converters etc, but they'll do for me I'm sure. Counting down the days!
24th January 2012
Old 24th January 2012
Gear interested

Question...Can I use other plugin's ( Guitar Rig etc. ) to track with that use the DSP's , or is it only UA's plugs for the 2ms???
24th January 2012
Old 24th January 2012
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biolumin3sc3nt View Post
Question...Can I use other plugin's ( Guitar Rig etc. ) to track with that use the DSP's , or is it only UA's plugs for the 2ms???
Only UAD-2 plug-ins. Guitar Rig is a "Native" plug-in (pun intended)...
25th January 2012
Old 25th January 2012
Gear nut

Latency

Monitor SP to Ears = 34cm >> latency is 1msec
Monitor SP to Ears = 68cm >> latency is 2msec
Monitor SP to Ears = 102cm >> latency is 3msec

If you are monitoring beyond 68cm everyday,
you are dealing with 2msec latency everyday.

(the speed of sound=340.29m/sec)=(34cm/1msec = 1.12ft/1msec)
25th January 2012
Old 25th January 2012
Gear interested

You have received a warning at Gearslutz.com.

Reason:
-------
Insulted Other Member(s)

-------

Original Post:
http://www.gearslutz.com/board/new-p...ml#post7479567
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceantracks View Post
Is the Orpheus expandable to Thunderbolt or strictly Firewire?

TH
Actually I just read that the orpheus is working with thunderbolt, but I believe it is a FW to TB conversion kit. So saying that, I don't know if the orpheus would truly get the benefits of an all TB connection.

And honestly that is the one reason I held off on buying the Prism. Because there is no real word on what they intend to do and it will take a lot longer then the TB connection that UA intends on having out by the end of summer.

Hoot.

BTW, never ever ever ask a question again with out looking up to see if it has already been answered. LOL... Or apparently the FUZZ is
gonna get you...lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Rabbit View Post
Please take a little look >> Google before you ask.
Why should he have to do this? Are you just trying to sound like a dick?

People should look through the GS search bar and google when there is really so much info out there that you'd have to be a blind idiot to not stumble across the answers.

That specific question was literally just answered by prism not even a week or so ago, so that topic barely pulls up any info when searched for. Plus, it is totally relevant to what this thread is about, or at least something directly pertaining to my post.

If i'm coming off rude, well, so did you. That dude has nearly 3,500 post. I think he has a complete grasp on how GS works.

Hoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by tele27 View Post
Does Apollo come with any of the UAD plugs don't think I've seen that anywhere?
Yes it does, but there just like a basic bundle. I have the waves versions of the ones offered and if they sound close to those they will sound great. UA plugs are a bit expensive but, I will pay for the ones I want. Especially the ones that I will use on my Aux tracks and the ones that tax my mbp cpu pretty hard like the tape saturators and others that are very processor heavy.
Warnings serve as a reminder to you of the forum's rules, which you are expected to understand and follow.

All the best,
Gearslutz.com[/QUOTE]

Excuse me,

But I did not insult anyone with anything I said in that post. I did not call anyone a name. I merely asked a question. Can you please explain to me exactly how I insulted someone?

Hoot.

Did anyone see anything wrong with what I posted? Or does anyone else think that I should have got a warning for anything I said in that post? I have been lurking here for a long time and have seen some very rude, obnoxious and crazy comments. I ask a question and now I am insulting someone????? This is just crazy.
25th January 2012
Old 25th January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Tracking with plugs. How many of us track through the Anamod ATS1, HEDD processing, or distortion settings on the Distressor? How many of us track vocals eq'd through a GML or Massive Passive? Many. Same difference.
As others have pointed out...tracking through an analog processor is not the same thing as tracking through a digital processor (or plugin).

One of the advantages to this box...which had previously only been available in TDM systems and a few other high-end options...is that you can monitor through plugins without any perceptible latency, and then leave those same plugins up throughout your mix as if though you had tracked through them. But the advantage to a system like this is that you can change them if you want to after tracking. There is no sonic advantage to tracking through them.

That's not to say there aren't valid reasons to...printing the effects before you send off to mix is one (although, again, you can always do that after tracking), or doing it on the front end if you know you'll run out of horsepower come mix time. But there's no sonic advantage, as there is with running through analog processors before A/D conversion.

Quote:
I'm not getting why people are thinking it's dumb to track w plugs to 'tape'. the way i see this, it's the exact same as someone plugging a mic into a UA pre, going into any piece of out board gear or 500 series rack to a neve 1073 eq, into an 1176 compressor, and into the DAW.
Again...not the same as an analog processor at all. Once you're in the digital domain you can still have that same workflow, but then change things later if you want to...or if you screwed up plugin settings in tracking. If you set, say, your compressor wrong there's not much you can do to "fix" it afterwords, at least not without artifacts.

Another reason people track through hardware is that they only have a finite number of pieces...they may use, say, their 1176 on one source tracking, and on another mixing. Not really an issue with plugins.

Quote:
why can they get under 2 ms. analog to dsp and back to analog in under 2 ms. with the apollo when a person with the most powerfull mac pro can't get that with a uad-2 quad using pcie ? Sure would be nice to be able to get those latency figures with a uad-2 !
Because it's all happening before the audio hits the computer's processor...again, the same way TDM systems have done it for years.

Quote:
It has been too much talk about the plugins, yeah yeah yeah we get it, you like your plugins, they're awesome... and like nothing on what kind of pres and ad/da is in it, almost, _almost_ trying to hide something. do i smell something fishy?
I don't think they're trying to hide anything. They said they were the best they could put together to hit their price point...until they're in the field what more can you expect?

Quote:
This AD/DA had better sound better than symphony otherwise I don't buy!
Since the basic Apollo is 8 channels of A/D and D/A conversion, plus four preamps, ADAT I/O, two processors, and a chassis, display, knobs and a power supply...and the same price as a Symphony card with only 8 channels of A/D and D/A conversion and ADAT I/Os, which needs a separate chassis with power supply and all those other bells and whistles...I wouldn't necessarily expect that to be the case. Although who knows? It's all speculation at this point.

Quote:
I mean are they a brand new UA design or is it something they've used before?
Since all of UA's preamps have been tube and/or transformer based, and these are obviously neither, I'd wager than they are a brand new design, even if they do draw from existing models.

Quote:
I think the problem with that will be each trip in and out will add additional latency. Maybe that is why they decided against inserts.
There is no latency with analog inserts.

Quote:
2ms seem rather high for recording vocals or drums, in my experience. RME is offering 21 samples a-d-a during tracking.
That's about the same thing as 21 samples at 44.1 kHz...and pretty much what you would expect using any digital recorder.

Quote:
But I did not insult anyone with anything I said in that post. I did not call anyone a name. I merely asked a question. Can you please explain to me exactly how I insulted someone?
You can't be serious. Do you really think that asking somebody if they're just trying to sound like something isn't the same thing as calling them something?

And I'm not sure how much wisdom there is in reposting something that's already been deleted by a moderator.
25th January 2012
Old 25th January 2012
Gear interested

Quote:
Actually no, I was honestly wondering...

TH
I know...

Sorry to double post, but I just got off the phone with Chris from sweetwater and just reserved my UA Apollo QUAD. I am very excited. I probably wont get it until the first or second week of March but that will give me plenty of time to order and set up a couple other things that I will be purchasing next week.

My portable set up will consist of(once the apollo arrives)

MBP 15 quad core, 8gig ram and 1 256gig SSD, and 1 128gig SSD that replaced my CD drive( I record on the 256 and have my OS and protools and logic installed on my 128).

Apollo Interface, Dangerous Dbox,Rossetta 200(plugged into SPDIF) Rossetta 800 (Plugged into ADAT), (2) SSL alpa channels plugged into the Rosetta 200, (1)API 3124 for the first 4 inserts on the rosetta 800, (2) Vintech 273's plugged into the last 4 inserts on the rosetta 800, and (2) Chandler Limited Germanium Pre Amp/DI that I will be plugging in into 2 of the inputs on the apollo. I definitely plan on using the preamps on the apollo as well( hopefully they sound good which I'm sure they will). That Gives me a very nice variety and 16 preamps to use. I've never used more than 13 at once for a drum kit, and it was really a pain in the ass. I am really, really excited and am looking forward to giving a full BIAS (J/K) review once I have had it for a couple weeks. But, will tell everyone how the converters translate ASAP, seeing how that is what everyone is truly interested in. And thats as long as the drivers are on point and everything runs smoothly. I can not wait for the TB card to be out so I can really use what it has to offer.

SO F'ing STOKED....

I will finally be able to drop the 003 for when I record live shows....Thank God. Though I've never even had so much as a hick-up, I'm just tired of explaining that I can't give them a copy until I go and mix it at the studio.

Thanks for listening to my babble. And I'm not even sure if I should have posted this here. I'm just so excited.

Hoot.
25th January 2012
Old 25th January 2012
Lives for gear

You can low latency monitor through DSP effects on the most affordable TC electronics interface whilst recording the dry signal. There's nothing new here.
25th January 2012
Old 25th January 2012
Gear addict

I use Fireface 400 with Reaper & I gotta tell you that on my old MBP I manage to easily track multiple channels through plug ins without any audible latency (both monitor and print). Reaper sorts everything out automatically.
25th January 2012
Old 25th January 2012
Gear addict

I was all set to pony up, until I saw that there is no MIDI. Why in the world no MIDI port?
25th January 2012
Old 25th January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by at4033 View Post
I was all set to pony up, until I saw that there is no MIDI. Why in the world no MIDI port?
I use midi daily but can't imagine it being a deal breaker when you can get a MOTU Fastlane for about 10 cents

TH
25th January 2012
Old 25th January 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
I use midi daily but can't imagine it being a deal breaker when you can get a MOTU Fastlane for about 10 centsTH
It is for me, but that is just me. I can see no earthly reason why it is not included. I'll probably go with Lynx Aurora.
25th January 2012
Old 25th January 2012
Gear nut

How can a midi port be a deal breaker???

What a waste of space on the unit if it had one. I would rather have more I/o or more dsp.

Pony up 10 cents and get a fast lane
25th January 2012
Old 25th January 2012
Gear addict

It's not about the "10 cents".
25th January 2012
Old 25th January 2012
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoot View Post
You have received a warning at Gearslutz.com.

Reason:
-------
Insulted Other Member(s)

-------

Original Post:
http://www.gearslutz.com/board/new-p...ml#post7479567

Warnings serve as a reminder to you of the forum's rules, which you are expected to understand and follow.

All the best,
Gearslutz.com

Excuse me,

Hoot.

Did anyone see anything wrong with what I posted? Or does anyone else think that I should have got a warning for anything I said in that post? I have been lurking here for a long time and have seen some very rude, obnoxious and crazy comments. I ask a question and now I am insulting someone????? This is just crazy.[/QUOTE]

Nothing wrong to me.

I guess the admins on this forum are a bit sensitive type.
25th January 2012
Old 25th January 2012

"Tracking with hardware and plugins are the same thing?"

WOW!!!

I have nothing against, EQing, compressing, FXing and committing while tracking, but for the love of god do it with hardware before the converters.

Tracking (destructively) with plugins is just plain stupid. If you´re gonna track with plugins, do it non-destuctively, the same settings will stay in your track forever, you have nothing to lose.

And everybody acts like UA just invented the wheel here, incredible! We have had the ability track with plugins since forever! I don´t see the big deal here.

Oh and UAD plugs ain´t nothing special, there are much better native alternatives out there.

Also the UAD-2 platform is so underpowered and overpriced. Just think of what kind of PC power you can get with 1500$. Those DSP cards are just silly. If they would offer real power and value for the money, then I would be ok with their "DSP platform".
25th January 2012
Old 25th January 2012
Gear addict

As much as anything, this caught my eye because of the glowing comments I've heard about the now discontinued 2192. While they would be fun, I am less interested in the plugins. I'll be very curious to hear feedback on the sound of the converters. Upgrading my Multiface is my priority at the moment.
25th January 2012
Old 25th January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by miscend View Post
You can low latency monitor through DSP effects on the most affordable TC electronics interface whilst recording the dry signal. There's nothing new here.
Not with UAD plug in quality you can't!
25th January 2012
Old 25th January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearNerd View Post
"Tracking with hardware and plugins are the same thing?"

WOW!!!

I have nothing against, EQing, compressing, FXing and committing while tracking, but for the love of god do it with hardware before the converters.

Tracking (destructively) with plugins is just plain stupid. If you´re gonna track with plugins, do it non-destuctively, the same settings will stay in your track forever, you have nothing to lose.

And everybody acts like UA just invented the wheel here, incredible! We have had the ability track with plugins since forever! I don´t see the big deal here.

Oh and UAD plugs ain´t nothing special, there are much better native alternatives out there.

Also the UAD-2 platform is so underpowered and overpriced. Just think of what kind of PC power you can get with 1500$. Those DSP cards are just silly. If they would offer real power and value for the money, then I would be ok with their "DSP platform".
I think you are in the minority if you don't have the greatest respect for what UAD plug ins sound like, I really do. I've tried all the stuff out there just like everyone else and the UAD plugs made a huge difference to me. The suite of plugs UA offers is incredible. In under 10 seconds the Neve 1073 EQ made acoustic guitars and vocals sound better than anything else I had used, and I had tried a lot. But hey that's just me.

As far as underpowered, yep that they are, but it's that much less my CPU has to do, which is fine by me. I don't care how powerful computers get, with VI's and lots of tracks I find it useful to utilize all the help I can get, because instrument (VI) makers, and plug in manufacturers KNOW the CPUs are getting more powerful all the time, and feel at liberty to create beast plug ins that kill even powerhouse CPUs at times (see "Omnisphere")...as if you aren't going to be trying to run many other things besides their plug in.

It's like moving into a bigger house, you eventually fill it up with more and more stuff until you're back in the same place you moved from.

BTW...PTHD was underpowered for over a decade but everyone just kept making records with it.

TH
25th January 2012
Old 25th January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosemeister View Post
How can a midi port be a deal breaker???

What a waste of space on the unit if it had one. I would rather have more I/o or more dsp.

Pony up 10 cents and get a fast lane
I disagree.

They are marketing this as an Interface, and every interface I've ever seen has MIDI I/O including strictly AD/DA units that have only bussed I/O. For me personally I wanted this to replace my current unit which it cannot alone, I have a synth rig that requires a single port and that is not a huge thing to ask for seeing as how it is standard on most every unit manufactured today.
25th January 2012
Old 25th January 2012
Gear nut

Quote:
"If you´re gonna track with plugins, do it non-destuctively, the same settings will stay in your track forever, you have nothing to lose.
Oh and UAD plugs ain´t nothing special, there are much better native alternatives out there.".
Yes, I agree with you basically .

I don't think either that I track through plug-ins so much.
As you know, UAD software comps(1176,etc) is not so good.
And I have vintage hardware comps that I like to use.

However I might use EQs a lot (and Auto-Tunes if it's avail.) when I track.
UAD EQs are good enough(1073,etc).
They sound good, and they work in Stereo Perfectly.
EQ-ing at recording helps me finding the best mic-ing position.
And I might track inserting hardware comp after UAD EQ.
This is why I'm worrying about Routing Flexibility and Latency.

Anyway I have to add UAD DSP and High quality AudioIF (I was about to buy UAD duo and Symphony).
If Apollo had enough good quality in AD/DA, Apollo could be my best solution.
That's why I am worrying about AD/DA Sound Quality so much.

As an Urei and UA lover, I really hope that Apollo gives us the perfect quality in AD/DA.
Otherwise it might be called "toy" like another product was called.
I understand it becomes more expensive to obtain better sound quality, but the price is not so high...
I would beg UA to let Apollo gives us the perfect quality in AD/DA no matter if it becomes $3k.
("the perfect quality" is as "Mariah and Beyonce and Britney teams get satisfied with it" quality.)
25th January 2012
Old 25th January 2012

Quote:

Why not - the first rule is : There are no rules . I have worked with a certain legendary producer who records vocals through a Waves R-Comp plug-in
And "stupid" would not be the first word I would use to describe him.
25th January 2012
Old 25th January 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
"

Never had any experience with UAD, which Native alternatives would you say are better?
25th January 2012
Old 25th January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gollumsluvslave View Post
It depends on whether you are a 'fix it in the mix' person, or someone that would rather get things nailed as much as possible during tracking, making decisions (for good or bad) and getting on with it.

Me personally, due to having no decent outboard EQ and Comps, I've had no choice but to fix it in the mix, but i really like the idea of getting the tracked sound as close as possible to how I think it should be - it doesn't make squat of difference to me whether that's through a plug-in or outboard.

Sometimes I think in today's DAW world there is too much freedom, and we can second guess decisions till the cows come home.

I see some judicious limiting of options further down the line as a good thing that captures the moment and a performance, rather than postponing things all the time.

So for me, having the option of tracking through plugs with near-0 latency could be a game-changer, and allow me to record and mix as I want to moving forward...

My 2 cents.
But why not just setting up an input mixer on some AUX's within your DAW and record them to tracks? I've done that a couple of times in PT HD and latency wasn't a problem at all.
25th January 2012
Old 25th January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
I can see no earthly reason why it is not included. I'll probably go with Lynx Aurora.
I can see a reason why...space. Where would you put it? Would you give up two preamps for the two MIDI ports? I'd imagine that since most people use USB-based controllers these days, and since USB interfaces are so cheap for those who don't, UA figured that leaving the MIDI ports off would make more sense.
25th January 2012
Old 25th January 2012
Lives for gear

I don´t really miss MIDI ports on this unit - but:

There are 2 ADAT ports for in AND out to provide 8-channels @96 kHz using S/MUX.
It has been said that @ 44.1 / 48 kHz the ADAT ports are not usable for 16 tracks of optical I/O - instead the output is just duplicated.

Do you think this is done by hardware - or is there any chance these 2 ADAT ports are adressed software wise?
Is the S/MUX stuff is not done by a hardware chip, UA could provide 16 channels of digital I/O via software update!

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search