New linear-phase EQ - SplineEQ
New Reply
Subscribe
28th February 2012
Old 28th February 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_SN View Post
Can't fix what I can't reproduce, with the same settings here Reaper reports between 0.1% and 0.2%, and I think that if anyone else had the same problem I'd have heard of it by now. Something's pretty weird on your side, I hope we can figure out what.

Why do you want to work with resolution and delay all the way up anyway? It doesn't really make sense to do that...
Now it's around 50% when window open, yesterday that was around 95% and audio was all over the place.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (51.5 KB, 190 views) File Type: jpg 2.jpg (75.4 KB, 222 views)
A_SN
28th February 2012
Old 28th February 2012
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roman Rowlands View Post
Now it's around 50% when window open, yesterday that was around 95% and audio was all over the place.
Thanks for the screenshots, it helps with figuring it out. Looks like it's all due to the graphics and the way the host handles them that takes a lot of CPU. Some hosts (including Reaper on Windows) will take very little CPU despite SplineEQ's frequent graphics changes (most of the time Reaper doesn't reach 1% of CPU activity according to the task manager, even with SplineEQ's window open) but on some others (like in your case with Reaper on Mac) it will take a full CPU core.

Nothing I can do about it short of lowering the FPS further which would make things look choppy for everyone under every circumstance and you'd still have a pretty high CPU usage. Apparently it's a known problem with the Mac version of Reaper, complete with playback glitches, and it might depends on your hardware (like the graphics card) see Mac OSX high CPU load - Cockos Confederated Forums
28th February 2012
Old 28th February 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
Thanks for the screenshots, it helps with figuring it out. Looks like it's all due to the graphics and the way the host handles them that takes a lot of CPU. Some hosts (including Reaper on Windows) will take very little CPU despite SplineEQ's frequent graphics changes (most of the time Reaper doesn't reach 1% of CPU activity according to the task manager, even with SplineEQ's window open) but on some others (like in your case with Reaper on Mac) it will take a full CPU core.

Nothing I can do about it short of lowering the FPS further which would make things look choppy for everyone under every circumstance and you'd still have a pretty high CPU usage. Apparently it's a known problem with the Mac version of Reaper, complete with playback glitches, and it might depends on your hardware (like the graphics card) see Mac OSX high CPU load - Cockos Confederated Forums
It's the only plug I have that does it, maybe you can program a button to turn
spectral analyser on and off, otherwise I can't see how I can use it. Cheers.
A_SN
28th February 2012
Old 28th February 2012
Gear nut

Quote:
It's the only plug I have that does it, maybe you can program a button to turn
spectral analyser on and off, otherwise I can't see how I can use it. Cheers.
No I can't do that, it would be pointless since everytime you do something there's something moving. Anyway what you want to do is look for a way to make Reaper do less GUI refreshes or something like that, cause ultimately that's the host that controls all that.
5th March 2012
Old 5th March 2012
Lives for gear

The more I use it the more I love it. Amazing sounding EQ
A_SN
31st March 2012
Old 31st March 2012
Gear nut

I've just released v1.0.7. All rejoice for I have improved the readability of the knobs! It's now bright blue text on a dark background (as opposed to green on light grey) and the font is slighter larger too.

I've also changed the number of decimal places in the knobs for small values and in the tip area (because you don't need thousandths of a Hz).
2nd April 2012
Old 2nd April 2012
Lives for gear

please give us M/S processing option. we use SplineEq for mastering
2nd April 2012
Old 2nd April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by poshook View Post
please give us M/S processing option. we use SplineEq for mastering
+1 - Would be very nice..!

::
Mads
DSK
2nd April 2012
Old 2nd April 2012
DSK
Lives for gear

M/S processing would be great!

Also it can't be overstated how good this plugin works on just about everthing and how easy it is to use especially with the real time spectrum comparison!
A_SN
2nd April 2012
Old 2nd April 2012
Gear nut

M/S processing is in the plans, plans which I've started executing. This is just the beginning but I've already added a few things, as you can see the spectral curve visualisation thing displays pan (in colour) which will come in handy when I have M/S processing working. See:

Right now the next step is linking yellow dots together, M/S might come next.
4th April 2012
Old 4th April 2012
Gear maniac

bump for a great eq. works well on everything, and great control
4th April 2012
Old 4th April 2012
Lives for gear

Yes it's a fine EQ!

But besides M-S [which I look forward to], I do think that the EQ window is somewhat limited in the horizontal plane, simply too narrow. Either an option to re-size or at least zoom, would be very welcome, to make it easier to adjust specific bands with more detail.

Mads

¤ Sound and Visual Art ¤
¤ Risk Recording ¤

4th April 2012
Old 4th April 2012
Gear maniac

@mljung

I use shift+drag it's working fine
4th April 2012
Old 4th April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardwinte View Post
@mljung

I use shift+drag it's working fine
What I meant was adjustment with visual feedback, not just the knob-numbers.
The physical space between freq bands is pretty narrow, especially compared to the large vertical space that the freq-window occupies. I prefer a more rectangular window.

Mads
4th April 2012
Old 4th April 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by mljung View Post
What I meant was adjustment with visual feedback, not just the knob-numbers.
The physical space between freq bands is pretty narrow, especially compared to the large vertical space that the freq-window occupies. I prefer a more rectangular window.

Mads
Ah, I have to say I find that annoying too, especially with 3 dots for each band. A resize option would be nice. Esp with the upcoming analyzer in the 'pro' version this would help immense.
A_SN
3rd May 2012
Old 3rd May 2012
Gear nut

I have a new version out, v1.0.8, it's all about optimisation, the performance can be up to about 25% faster (mostly at high precision settings). I really don't think it can be optimised any further short of using a much faster FFT routine (I don't think there's any such routine) or doing it on the GPU (and then again it wouldn't necessarily work faster).

Quote:
Originally Posted by mljung View Post
Yes it's a fine EQ!

But besides M-S [which I look forward to], I do think that the EQ window is somewhat limited in the horizontal plane, simply too narrow. Either an option to re-size or at least zoom, would be very welcome, to make it easier to adjust specific bands with more detail.

Mads
Yeah I'll do that. Someone mentioned to me a way to do M-S editing already, thought I'm not sure I understand how it's done. It's about using a "Mid-Side matrix" to split the signal into two "groups" (I don't know what that is), pan each group to the left and right respectively and have two instances of SplineEQ on each group and then combine the outputs back together using another Mid-Side matrix.

I have no idea how to do any of that though, I don't get how a plugin can split into two "groups".
3rd May 2012
Old 3rd May 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:

Yeah I'll do that. Someone mentioned to me a way to do M-S editing already, thought I'm not sure I understand how it's done. It's about using a "Mid-Side matrix" to split the signal into two "groups" (I don't know what that is), pan each group to the left and right respectively and have two instances of SplineEQ on each group and then combine the outputs back together using another Mid-Side matrix.

I have no idea how to do any of that though, I don't get how a plugin can split into two "groups".
Thanks for the update - looking forward to the windows resizing/zoom function in the next version, and M-S if you get the technical stuff sorted out.

Personally I would adore to have a bandpass filter that one could engage to find troublesome frequency areas, something that both Voxengo, iZotope Ozone and Melda have in their eq's - very useful indeed..!

Mads
Den
3rd May 2012
Old 3rd May 2012
Den
Lives for gear

Great tool

In the beginning I thought just another linear EQ, but after I tried it, it sounds very nice, and second the price is great too.
So Great work has been done here!

Thanks for free version too.
This is must have Linear EQ.

Thanks once more.
7th May 2012
Old 7th May 2012
Lives for gear

Are there any plans on support for ProTools ?

AAX / RTAS ?

Thanks,
G
A_SN
7th May 2012
Old 7th May 2012
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemylon View Post
Are there any plans on support for ProTools ?

AAX / RTAS ?

Thanks,
G
Yes I finally obtained access to the Avid SDK thing a few weeks ago. I'll try to do a RTAS build, I have a friend who said he would work on an AAX port of the framework I use but so far I haven't heard much from him about that.
7th May 2012
Old 7th May 2012
Lives for gear

Can't wait to try the new version, will it be able to do L/R also?
Keep up the good work!
A.
A_SN
11th May 2012
Old 11th May 2012
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_bt View Post
Can't wait to try the new version, will it be able to do L/R also?
Keep up the good work!
A.
Yeah, joint stereo (as it is now), M/S and L/R.

Speaking of which, can I get beta testers for the next version? So far I've already implemented an analysis curve visualisation thing, handles that can change in length, a sort of Q control, a way to group bands together into groups that can be moved all at once, and more recently a very different approach to the limiter thing, which is what needs testing the most (I'd like to know which setting of the Debug knob works best for you when cranking the gain up but setting the Limiter low).

If you want to test let me know and I'll send you a link.

Picture related
12th May 2012
Old 12th May 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yeah, joint stereo (as it is now), M/S and L/R.

Speaking of which, can I get beta testers for the next version?

If you want to test let me know and I'll send you a link.
I do - I just sent you a note...

Mads
A_SN
12th May 2012
Old 12th May 2012
Gear nut

Oh I forgot to mention, the beta is Windows in 32-bit only for now.
A_SN
15th May 2012
Old 15th May 2012
Gear nut

Alright I just went ahead and released v1.0.9 with the new Limiter. Now can't nobody complain about accidentally hurting their ears/blowing up their speakers. If you used to leave the Limiter at 60 dB I suggest you set it to 0 dB (the new default). I'd still like to hear how it works for you though.
15th May 2012
Old 15th May 2012
Gear addict

Great news, thanks.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Gearslutz App
15th May 2012
Old 15th May 2012
Gear addict

FWIW Reaper has auto mute for these hairy moments
A_SN
15th May 2012
Old 15th May 2012
Gear nut

Quote:
FWIW Reaper has auto mute for these hairy moments
Yeah I find it quite annoying though. Anyway I think this is a better approach, it makes things still listenable while warning you (with the knob lighting up) that the limiter is in effect.
17th May 2012
Old 17th May 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
Alright I just went ahead and released v1.0.9 with the new Limiter. Now can't nobody complain about accidentally hurting their ears/blowing up their speakers. If you used to leave the Limiter at 60 dB I suggest you set it to 0 dB (the new default). I'd still like to hear how it works for you though.
What do we need to do to update the plug in?
A_SN
17th May 2012
Old 17th May 2012
Gear nut

Quote:
What do we need to do to update the plug in?
Use the link you received by e-mail, it's a permanent link.

I'm considering making it updatable from the plugin itself, perhaps by clicking the logo or something like that.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search