New linear-phase EQ - SplineEQ
New Reply
Subscribe
Tui
2nd February 2012
Old 2nd February 2012
Tui
Lives for gear

Latency helps your CPUs to sound more analogue. Like, with tube gear, you have to give it some time to warm up, and it sounds better.

A_SN
2nd February 2012
Old 2nd February 2012
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by mljung View Post
Just purchased - and got it - via the link on my receipt.
Do I have to register to get updates, and if so how?
Testing in Wavelab, everything runs smooth so far

::
Mads
The link is permanent, just bookmark it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNM View Post
in this one the more delay is used, the higher the cpu, to answer oooooh
That's the other way around, the less delay the higher the CPU. And you can't have a delay that's absolutely 0 ms, it's not possible with linear phase EQs, if you turn the Delay all the way down you still get some delay (it shows just how much in the tip text thing). If I made that the default value then people wouldn't praise SplineEQ for its low CPU use . Here it goes from 2.3% (I still use a Core 2... lol) to 3.9% when turning it down to 0.0, and if you crank up the resolution then it's 8.3%.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tui View Post
Latency helps your CPUs to sound more analogue. Like, with tube gear, you have to give it some time to warm up, and it sounds better.

haha no, doesn't change how it sounds. However you should be careful when affecting the latency since in a lot of hosts only the latency as it was when the plugin started is compensated for, so if you do something that changes latency you might have a slight shift in time. But that's covered in the manual.
2nd February 2012
Old 2nd February 2012
Gear addict

Ah, ok thanks for the explanation.
Still i hope that you will make the default delay to 0. More and more people are using powerful CPUs, even my 2 year old laptop already has a i7. And your SplineEQ's CPU usage is already ridiculously low with 0 delay, when compared to other plugins.
A_SN
2nd February 2012
Old 2nd February 2012
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooohhh2 View Post
Still i hope that you will make the default delay to 0. More and more people are using powerful CPUs, even my 2 year old laptop already has a i7. And your SplineEQ's CPU usage is already ridiculously low with 0 delay, when compared to other plugins.
Maybe I should make the Resolution and Delay knobs be sticky across instances so you always get the same values from the start. Same thing when I add the zoom, and I guess the visualisation knobs too.

I just need to figure out where is the proper place to create a preferences file on Windows and Mac to save those preferences.
2nd February 2012
Old 2nd February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooohhh2 View Post
Tweak your own default template, most DAW allow it.
A.
2nd February 2012
Old 2nd February 2012
Gear addict

Both ideas are great. Thanks guys!
Tui
2nd February 2012
Old 2nd February 2012
Tui
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_SN View Post
Maybe I should make the Resolution and Delay knobs be sticky across instances so you always get the same values from the start. Same thing when I add the zoom, and I guess the visualisation knobs too.
That would be cool.
2nd February 2012
Old 2nd February 2012
Lives for gear

Feature request: Plugin resizing!

It would make adjustments much easier if it was possible to stretch, especially the horizontal view. Yes zoom will help, but resizing the spectral window would make it's usefulness even greater...!

I could also use a little clearer numbers on the knobs.

Mads

¤ Sound and Visual Art ¤
¤ Risk Recording ¤

A_SN
3rd February 2012
Old 3rd February 2012
Gear nut

I've just released v1.0.5

I've changed the way the slopes behave in some cases so that you won't accidentally make the slope go to 100 and blow your ears out. Until now the handle would point toward your cursor no matter what, now if your cursor is between the handle control point and the yellow dot (or beyond) it doesn't try to point toward the cursor as it's too close, instead it sets the handle control point to be at the same vertical level as your cursor. It's pretty neat and avoids problems.

I've also fixed the knob font a bit to make it sharper and thus more readable. That's it.

mljung: what part would you like to resize, I'm not sure? And why?
3rd February 2012
Old 3rd February 2012
Gear maniac

yea i made my own templates when i first got it, though a sticky across instances function for the resolution, delay, visualisation, intensity, and zoom? would make splineeq good for all daws.

a_sn, looks like you got a whole lot more popular with the sale :L
3rd February 2012
Old 3rd February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
I've just released v1.0.5

mljung: what part would you like to resize, I'm not sure? And why?
The interface or more specifically the spectral window. It would it easier to tune precisely and to add control points if it was possible to stretch the horizontal plane and have more space for editing. Does it make sense..?

Mads
DSK
3rd February 2012
Old 3rd February 2012
DSK
Lives for gear

Quote:
The interface or more specifically the spectral window. It would it easier to tune precisely and to add control points if it was possible to stretch the horizontal plane and have more space for editing. Does it make sense..?

Mads
+1 on that

Off to check the update now!
A_SN
4th February 2012
Old 4th February 2012
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardwinte View Post
yea i made my own templates when i first got it, though a sticky across instances function for the resolution, delay, visualisation, intensity, and zoom? would make splineeq good for all daws.

a_sn, looks like you got a whole lot more popular with the sale :L
Yeah that would be pretty cool if you could find the same setup everywhere on the same machine without having to do anything special.

And yeah the sale is a good way to get the word out, not even just about what's on sale but also the other thing (Photosounder), so making more plugins is starting to look like an interesting business model. And as it turns out it's also a good way to sell a plugin to people who have no idea what a plugin is. I've received probably a dozen mails from people asking me why SplineEQ doesn't appear in their Applications folder

Quote:

Mads
I like that idea. So that would be only an horizontal stretching, right? Simple enough, having a vertical stretching would complicate things a bit with the way the knobs are laid out, mostly if you wanted to make it smaller. I'll have to look into how it's done. Don't hold your breath for it though, I didn't exactly design the plugin with that in mind so I'd have to change a whole bunch of things before it would be doable. In fact it would be quite a bit complicated given that the GUI is currently mostly just a static picture and that too would have to change.
4th February 2012
Old 4th February 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Yeah that would be pretty cool if you could find the same setup everywhere on the same machine without having to do anything special.
Oh, yea that would be pretty cool. But I wasn't really thinking about that, I was just concerned for those people who's hosts don't have built-in preset systems. I imagine they would be slightly annoyed by having to change those settings every time they open a splineeq instance. I'm fine, btw, but I guess some won't be.

Quote:
And yeah the sale is a good way to get the word out, not even just about what's on sale but also the other thing (Photosounder), so making more plugins is starting to look like an interesting business model. And as it turns out it's also a good way to sell a plugin to people who have no idea what a plugin is. I've received probably a dozen mails from people asking me why SplineEQ doesn't appear in their Applications folder
don't....k--kknow...what a ... plugin..... is ...? ................ha.......ha...

don't overwork yourself A_SN
9th February 2012
Old 9th February 2012
Gear maniac

Bought it - Less than 2 days left on the 25% off promo.

9th February 2012
Old 9th February 2012
Gear nut

Hi A SN,

Where can I get the new update (v1.0.5) from the Spline EQ? I found no link on your Site...:(

cheers!
A_SN
9th February 2012
Old 9th February 2012
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machine Head View Post
Hi A SN,

Where can I get the new update (v1.0.5) from the Spline EQ? I found no link on your Site...:(

cheers!
Oh yeah lots of people ask me that. All you have to do is click the link in the mail you received, and preferably bookmark that link since it's permanent.
9th February 2012
Old 9th February 2012
Gear nut

Aaahhh, thanks
10th February 2012
Old 10th February 2012
Gear addict

Thanks for this, A_SN. I've been trying out the free version in some VO work and acoustic guitar tracks the last few days and liking it very much.
A_SN
27th February 2012
Old 27th February 2012
Gear nut

I've just released v1.0.6. The only change is that SplineEQ remembers all your settings (visualisation, resolution/delay and limiter settings) even across hosts.
27th February 2012
Old 27th February 2012
Gear addict

This is what i wished. Thanks a lot!
27th February 2012
Old 27th February 2012
Gear maniac

dl link not working - first line on the page says this
Quote:
Warning: fopen(/f2/photosounder/protected/eq_download_log.txt) [function.fopen]: failed to open stream: Permission denied in /f2/photosounder/public/splineeq/download-full.php on line 114
A_SN
27th February 2012
Old 27th February 2012
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardwinte View Post
dl link not working - first line on the page says this
Thanks for the heads up, I think I've fixed it, can you try it again please?
27th February 2012
Old 27th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks for the heads up, I think I've fixed it, can you try it again please?
Works fine!
A.
28th February 2012
Old 28th February 2012
Gear addict

Delay set to 3 I am hitting >50% CPU on a Macbook Pro. Delay compensation 61440 Jeez! When plugin window is closed CPU goes down to 10%.
A_SN
28th February 2012
Old 28th February 2012
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roman Rowlands View Post
Delay set to 3 I am hitting >50% CPU on a Macbook Pro. Delay compensation 61440 Jeez! When plugin window is closed CPU goes down to 10%.
It shouldn't take that much CPU (less than 3% here for the same resolution and delay settings) and I have an old Core 2 CPU) so that doesn't sound right... However yes you've cranked up both the resolution and the delay to the max so the delay is going to be large.
28th February 2012
Old 28th February 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
It shouldn't take that much CPU (less than 3% here for the same resolution and delay settings) and I have an old Core 2 CPU) so that doesn't sound right... However yes you've cranked up both the resolution and the delay to the max so the delay is going to be large.
CPU doesn't change if I reduce delay. It keeps around 50% with plugin window open & around 10% with window shut.
A_SN
28th February 2012
Old 28th February 2012
Gear nut

Quote:
CPU doesn't change if I reduce delay. It keeps around 50% with plugin window open & around 10% with window shut.
You really should rely on what the host reports rather than what the system thingie says, mostly since the plugins graphics and the host's own CPU usage will drown out any difference in CPU usage that the audio processing part of the plugin might have.
28th February 2012
Old 28th February 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
You really should rely on what the host reports rather than what the system thingie says, mostly since the plugins graphics and the host's own CPU usage will drown out any difference in CPU usage that the audio processing part of the plugin might have.
I am looking at both, system and host monitoring and both are now reporting over 95% with 1 Spline open, nothing else. I closed and re-opened Reaper and CPU pretty much doubled.

Edit: I hope you can get that sorted as I can't work with that amount of CPU hit as audio is degraded, please keep me updated. Thanks.
A_SN
28th February 2012
Old 28th February 2012
Gear nut

Quote:
I am looking at both, system and host monitoring and both are now reporting over 95% with 1 Spline open, nothing else. I closed and re-opened Reaper and CPU pretty much doubled.

Edit: I hope you can get that sorted as I can't work with that amount of CPU hit as audio is degraded, please keep me updated. Thanks.
Can't fix what I can't reproduce, with the same settings here Reaper reports between 0.1% and 0.2%, and I think that if anyone else had the same problem I'd have heard of it by now. Something's pretty weird on your side, I hope we can figure out what.

Why do you want to work with resolution and delay all the way up anyway? It doesn't really make sense to do that...
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search