Emotiva Pro monitors
Old 20th January 2012
  #31
New stuff

Old 20th January 2012
  #32
Lives for gear
 
zvenx's Avatar
 

'wonderful'. just a few days after I bought my airmotiv 6

rsp
Old 21st January 2012
  #33
Lives for gear
 
DR Music's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by zvenx View Post
'wonderful'. just a few days after I bought my airmotiv 6

rsp
Stay with the 6.5's drivers.. They keep what's really important, great detail, mid and hi quality and separation... 8" for me always muds things up.. True for the a8x vs a7x.. And Mackie HR6 VS HR8..
Old 22nd January 2012
  #34
Lives for gear
 
zvenx's Avatar
 

so I got a pair of airmotiv 6 last tuesday.......my previous system was my Achilles heel. a samson servo 240 amp powering two samson Resolv 65 speakers.........

I really have been trying to like the airmotiv's as if for no other reason it was a pita to bring to jamaica.......I love the low end on them.... but there is something about the mid range I dont' like.. I find the upper mids very harsh, especially when I listen to stuff with strings in it....... also seems that the low mids are dipped.....Of course this could just be that I got accustomed to teh samson's....... so I took them to three other studios..

first studio had a krk rockit 6..... as I expected I prefered the low end on the airmotiv... but compared to the krk I found the airmotiv upper mids harsh still and almost like quite frankly not enough separation in the mids...

studio two I got a/b them with an unfair competition, KrK expose...... wasn't easy to a/b them...so I can't really comment on the comparison much.

studio 3, I got to listen to it with ADAM;s 5X ( I was most interested in this comparison as prior to purchasing these the 7X were on the top two of my list) and the ubiquitous NS-10's which I have always hated ( I get ear fatigued from them) .......
apart from the low end understandably, they compared quite well with the ADAM's......but truthfully I didn't get to listen for more than fifteen minutes... anyway armed with that I brought them back in my studio convinced I would get myself to like them.
Three days after still no.....Although I haven't gotten ear fatigue from them. they make me want to turn the music to listen at low volumes and I have been playing my itunes library of sounds I love and that I normally love mixes and productions of..... listening thru the airmotiv's, they make me not want to enjoy listening to these songs just for the sake of listening.......

I think I may return them........ still trying to like them.

rsp
Old 26th January 2012
  #35
Lives for gear
 
zvenx's Avatar
 

well not sure if it is either the speakers are breaking in or my ears are becoming accustomed to them, but I am starting to like them....high end seems to have mellowed somewhat...low end is still nice and it seems more even in tones across the spectrum now.
I will be keeping these babies.
rsp
Old 26th January 2012
  #36
Lives for gear
 
DR Music's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by zvenx View Post
well not sure if it is either the speakers are breaking in or my ears are becoming accustomed to them, but I am starting to like them....high end seems to have mellowed somewhat...low end is still nice and it seems more even in tones across the spectrum now.
I will be keeping these babies.
rsp
Great to "hear"!!!
At first I thought the same thing but for a week I left them on for 4-6 hours, and 5 days later!!! Wala!! Def. Needs burn in time.
My engineer pal has A7x, these sound identical. CRAZY!
Old 26th January 2012
  #37
Lives for gear
 
zvenx's Avatar
 

:-)
y didn't you say that. tbh it was your review in another thread that made me decide to try it.. and I got the impression from day one you thought it sounded great...and I was like WOW, we really have very different tastes... and that you like NS-10's should have told me that :-).... but I got to try them next a friends A5X adam, and of course these had more bottom end as they should, but the midrange and top were very close...so it didn't make sense returning these to get the A7X's. so decided to listen to them a lot longer.

rsp
Old 26th January 2012
  #38
Lives for gear
 
DR Music's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by zvenx View Post
:-)
y didn't you say that. tbh it was your review in another thread that made me decide to try it.. and I got the impression from day one you thought it sounded great...and I was like WOW, we really have very different tastes... and that you like NS-10's should have told me that :-).... but I got to try them next a friends A5X adam, and of course these had more bottom end as they should, but the midrange and top were very close...so it didn't make sense returning these to get the A7X's. so decided to listen to them a lot longer.

rsp
Glad to hear your enjoying them!, is what I wanted to express....!!

They ARE GREAT monitors. Just as good as the Adams all day!

(On NS10's I like the transient response and midrange.)
Old 26th January 2012
  #39
Lives for gear
 
zvenx's Avatar
 

sorry I realise I didn't write all that was in my head.... I mean the breaking in period.... :-)... which I was teasing you about not writing that there needed to be one in your previous review
rsp
Old 29th January 2012
  #40
Gear addict
 

Anybody else wanna share their experience with these puppies?

Sent from my GT-I9100M using Gearslutz.com
Old 2nd February 2012
  #41
Lives for gear
 
DR Music's Avatar
Bump. Anybody jumped on the Emo's?
Old 2nd February 2012
  #42
Gear interested
 

Picked up a pair of 6s after listening to em' at NAMM. I pretty much agree with DR's impressions....Bass isn't boomy, but very accurate. Highs sound great, nice image. Lots of detail across the range. Volume on the front is a nice little feature.

And some of you are prolly going to hate me for posting this NOW.....but coupon code "NAMM12" gets you 15% off.....bringing the 6s down to $680 and the 4s to $340. It's a steal at that price.

Listened to the 8s there as well. Granted we're talking about listening on the NAMM show floor, it's more of same goodness...just bigger (even size wise). Seems like more of an option for a good mid-field....maybe a bit much for near-field. Got Emotiva guys to A/B with them and the 6s, and while it was difficult to hear much difference in the mids to highs, the low end definitely goes lower and is more present without loosing accuracy. Kicks had that punch in the stomach feel you typically only get on systems with a good sub. They said to expect them sometime in March and a price tag of $1500/pair.
Old 4th February 2012
  #43
Gear addict
 

because of the coupon code, I ordered the 4s.
Old 9th February 2012
  #44
Lives for gear
 
DR Music's Avatar
Loving the Airmotivs6...
The accurate low end is so impressive... Separation and detail..
Old 10th February 2012
  #45
Gear addict
 

I'm happy so far with my 4s
Old 10th February 2012
  #46
Lives for gear
 
DR Music's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by grawk View Post
I'm happy so far with my 4s
I would imagine great detail and super stereo imaging!!!!??? Right!?
Old 25th February 2012
  #47
Gear Head
 
Manta's Avatar
 

These Emotiva guys are really on the good path, I have an amp from Emotiva which blows my parasound amp away, I'm in search for some new monitors unfortunately I live in Belgium and they don't sell them here and shipping is very expensive.
Old 29th February 2012
  #48
Gear Head
 
Manta's Avatar
 

Got a mail from Emotiva, they now sell in Europe also!
Old 9th March 2012
  #49
Gear interested
 

Does anybody have an idea whether these monitors can also be used for "hifi" purposes in a room of roughly 80 square meters? Or are they only meant for near field studio monitoring and will the sound be too precise for it?
Old 31st May 2012
  #50
Gear nut
 
elwoodblues1969's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florian91 View Post
Does anybody have an idea whether these monitors can also be used for "hifi" purposes in a room of roughly 80 square meters? Or are they only meant for near field studio monitoring and will the sound be too precise for it?
Since when is precision a bad thing in any way,shape,or form??Whether it be film or music,all of the content you listen to has been mendaciously recorded,mixed,EQ'd and mastered to sound clean,clear and balanced.
That being said,wouldn't you want to hear your media the way it was meant to be heard-at face value,without any added coloration...makes sense,doesn't it?

F**k 32 band equalizers,amplifiers with artificial surround sound bullsh*t and the like and just worry about buying clean amplification with crossovers.

That's what you get with studio monitors such as the Emotiva's.Powered,bi-amplified monitors are PERFECT for hi-fi listening,because monitors such as these are very efficient,clean & durable.

The amps are specifically designed for each driver,with built in crossovers to create the ideal signal path,so that you get the optimum end result from your source material.

Watching a movie with a pair of studio monitors(ideally with two sets of monitors),is a beautiful thing,as there is not a more pure way to experience a flick the way it was meant to be heard,which is honestly and cleanly.

However though,Adam Audio is in the process of manufacturing their budget F-series of monitors and they are similarly priced to the Emotiva's....but I'm betting that the Adam's will be more accurate and detailed than the Emo's.

I personally really like the wider high frequency wave-guides and the increased amplification of the Emo's...but I'm skeptical about using the Emo's for critical studio applications(in contrast to the Adam's).


-Thom
Old 31st May 2012
  #51
Lives for gear
 
DR Music's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by elwoodblues1969 View Post
Since when is precision a bad thing in any way,shape,or form??Whether it be film or music,all of the content you listen to has been mendaciously recorded,mixed,EQ'd and mastered to sound clean,clear and balanced.
That being said,wouldn't you want to hear your media the way it was meant to be heard-at face value,without any added coloration...makes sense,doesn't it?

F**k 32 band equalizers,amplifiers with artificial surround sound bullsh*t and the like and just worry about buying clean amplification with crossovers.

That's what you get with studio monitors such as the Emotiva's.Powered,bi-amplified monitors are PERFECT for hi-fi listening,because monitors such as these are very efficient,clean & durable.

The amps are specifically designed for each driver,with built in crossovers to create the ideal signal path,so that you get the optimum end result from your source material.

Watching a movie with a pair of studio monitors(ideally with two sets of monitors),is a beautiful thing,as there is not a more pure way to experience a flick the way it was meant to be heard,which is honestly and cleanly.

However though,Adam Audio is in the process of manufacturing their budget F-series of monitors and they are similarly priced to the Emotiva's....but I'm betting that the Adam's will be more accurate and detailed than the Emo's.

I personally really like the wider high frequency wave-guides and the increased amplification of the Emo's...but I'm skeptical about using the Emo's for critical studio applications(in contrast to the Adam's).


-Thom
I had both the A7x and the Emo's... Crazy close..
I disagree that the F series will outperform the Emo's...
-Rubb
Old 31st May 2012
  #52
Gear nut
 
elwoodblues1969's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR Music View Post
I had both the A7x and the Emo's... Crazy close..
I disagree that the F series will outperform the Emo's...
-Rubb
The Emo's have twice the amount of wattage-so yeah,they'll outperform the Adams' volume-wise,but as for clarity & detail...I'm doubtful.


-Thom
Old 31st May 2012
  #53
Lives for gear
 
DR Music's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by elwoodblues1969 View Post
The Emo's have twice the amount of wattage-so yeah,they'll outperform the Adams' volume-wise,but as for clarity & detail...I'm doubtful.


-Thom
Yeah ok we will just take you word for it!!
Once again I had both and preferred the Emo's over the A7x.. Great Clarity and better low end my friend.
Old 31st May 2012
  #54
Gear nut
 
elwoodblues1969's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR Music View Post
Yeah ok we will just take you word for it!!
Once again I had both and preferred the Emo's over the A7x.. Great Clarity and better low end my friend.
I own and still own my Adam A7's and have owned several pairs of monitors in the under-a-$1,000-range and the only monitors that matched the clarity of my Adams,were my Equator Audio D5's.
I NEVER said for a FACT,that the Emo's didn't have the clarity of the Adam's-but rather,I said I was DOUBTFUL.
Can you differentiate between opinion and fact?

I don't care if you have owned both,because anyone who is ignorant enough to give Samson monitors high praise-clearly has opinions that are completely invalid to anyone who has a clue about studio recording & gear.

I've owned my Adam A7's for 6 years and have recorded,mixed and mastered hundreds of songs on them and being that the AX7's are a significant from the A7's...I think it's more than fair to say that you have sh*t in your ears,if you honestly think that the Emo's outperform the AX7's in any way.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion,as monitor performance assessments are subjective(but only to a point)and as someone who has 20 years experience with recording and who has several years of experience doing research on the physics behind acoustics,I can't possibly take seriously,the opinions from a moronic and arrogant tool,such as yourself.

I am not a professional recording engineer by trade,but I have sufficient experience in the studio environment to realize when I am conversing with a bleeding imbecile who has the attitude of some jackass you typically find in a GuitarCenter.

Ultimately,the only thing that really matters is what an individual's ears tells them,in order to get the results they want(particularly if we're talking about the hobbyist's studio),so I don't expect anyone to take my skepticism towards the Emo's as scripture,but people should take other people's skepticism into consideration(as well as all other factors),rather than blindly following any particular assertion about a product based on his/her personal experience.

Opinions vary,even among seasoned professionals...but given enough time and trial and error in the studio,everyone who is serious about recording from any walk of life,will eventually realize that Samson monitors are incoherent consumer grade crap and the only thing worse than them,is a shelf stereo from Walmart.

Studio monitoring is a great deal more complex than a lot of people realize,replete with subtle nuances that go unnoticed until that individual has experienced several different types of monitors in a properly controlled acoustic environment.

Case in point,regardless of experience,no one should behave as a pretentious putz,as it's counterproductive...but then,I suppose you can't help yourself,as you love stroking your own ego.

Seriously....WTF is wrong with you?First you say that the Emo's are "crazy close" to the Adam's and then you contradict yourself & say that the Emo's out perform the Adam's.

You seem to imply that the Emo's are the top of the heap and yet,you keep referring to them in a past tense?
So then,you purchased both the Adam's and the Emo's and returned them both?
Since you seem to have such a disposable income,why don't you just spare yourself the bother and just spring for a pair of Event Opals,Barefoots or a pair of PMC monitors?
Old 31st May 2012
  #55
Lives for gear
 
zvenx's Avatar
 

hi,
two things.....
1) how long did you have the emotiva's for? I ask because my airmotiv6 on day 1, 2 and 3 were completely different speakers than they were in week two and onward.. when I got mine I was mostly unimpressed till they broke in.

2) I took them to a friend's studio which includes a pair of Adam A5X...and apart from the bottom end (which clearly the airmotiv6 would have more of) both him and I thought they sounded very very close to the mids and highs of his A5X....

rsp
Old 31st May 2012
  #56
Lives for gear
 
DR Music's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by elwoodblues1969 View Post
I own and still own my Adam A7's and have owned several pairs of monitors in the under-a-$1,000-range and the only monitors that matched the clarity of my Adams,were my Equator Audio D5's.
I NEVER said for a FACT,that the Emo's didn't have the clarity of the Adam's-but rather,I said I was DOUBTFUL.
Can you differentiate between opinion and fact?

I don't care if you have owned both,because anyone who is ignorant enough to give Samson monitors high praise-clearly has opinions that are completely invalid to anyone who has a clue about studio recording & gear.

I've owned my Adam A7's for 6 years and have recorded,mixed and mastered hundreds of songs on them and being that the AX7's are a significant from the A7's...I think it's more than fair to say that you have sh*t in your ears,if you honestly think that the Emo's outperform the AX7's in any way.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion,as monitor performance assessments are subjective(but only to a point)and as someone who has 20 years experience with recording and who has several years of experience doing research on the physics behind acoustics,I can't possibly take seriously,the opinions from a moronic and arrogant tool,such as yourself.

I am not a professional recording engineer by trade,but I have sufficient experience in the studio environment to realize when I am conversing with a bleeding imbecile who has the attitude of some jackass you typically find in a GuitarCenter.

Ultimately,the only thing that really matters is what an individual's ears tells them,in order to get the results they want(particularly if we're talking about the hobbyist's studio),so I don't expect anyone to take my skepticism towards the Emo's as scripture,but people should take other people's skepticism into consideration(as well as all other factors),rather than blindly following any particular assertion about a product based on his/her personal experience.

Opinions vary,even among seasoned professionals...but given enough time and trial and error in the studio,everyone who is serious about recording from any walk of life,will eventually realize that Samson monitors are incoherent consumer grade crap and the only thing worse than them,is a shelf stereo from Walmart.

Studio monitoring is a great deal more complex than a lot of people realize,replete with subtle nuances that go unnoticed until that individual has experienced several different types of monitors in a properly controlled acoustic environment.

Case in point,regardless of experience,no one should behave as a pretentious putz,as it's counterproductive...but then,I suppose you can't help yourself,as you love stroking your own ego.

Seriously....WTF is wrong with you?First you say that the Emo's are "crazy close" to the Adam's and then you contradict yourself & say that the Emo's out perform the Adam's.

You seem to imply that the Emo's are the top of the heap and yet,you keep referring to them in a past tense?
So then,you purchased both the Adam's and the Emo's and returned them both?
Since you seem to have such a disposable income,why don't you just spare yourself the bother and just spring for a pair of Event Opals,Barefoots or a pair of PMC monitors?
This guy... Hahaha...
Actually I ordered a set of Pelonis Sound 4288 and a Focusrite ISA Two just to check it out... Your probably a straight dweeb. Calling people names over opinions. Jerk off... Most on here would agree, go f$&) yourself.
Old 31st May 2012
  #57
Lives for gear
 
DR Music's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by zvenx View Post
hi,
two things.....
1) how long did you have the emotiva's for? I ask because my airmotiv6 on day 1, 2 and 3 were completely different speakers than they were in week two and onward.. when I got mine I was mostly unimpressed till they broke in.

2) I took them to a friend's studio which includes a pair of Adam A5X...and apart from the bottom end (which clearly the airmotiv6 would have more of) both him and I thought they sounded very very close to the mids and highs of his A5X....

rsp
Ignore this idiot... He obvious doesn't have work... Hmmmm.. He's attitude maybe. Ok..
Zvenz, we know these things are tought to beat.
Old 31st May 2012
  #58
Lives for gear
 
DR Music's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by elwoodblues1969 View Post
Since when is precision a bad thing in any way,shape,or form??Whether it be film or music,all of the content you listen to has been mendaciously recorded,mixed,EQ'd and mastered to sound clean,clear and balanced.
That being said,wouldn't you want to hear your media the way it was meant to be heard-at face value,without any added coloration...makes sense,doesn't it?

F**k 32 band equalizers,amplifiers with artificial surround sound bullsh*t and the like and just worry about buying clean amplification with crossovers.

That's what you get with studio monitors such as the Emotiva's.Powered,bi-amplified monitors are PERFECT for hi-fi listening,because monitors such as these are very efficient,clean & durable.

The amps are specifically designed for each driver,with built in crossovers to create the ideal signal path,so that you get the optimum end result from your source material.

Watching a movie with a pair of studio monitors(ideally with two sets of monitors),is a beautiful thing,as there is not a more pure way to experience a flick the way it was meant to be heard,which is honestly and cleanly.

However though,Adam Audio is in the process of manufacturing their budget F-series of monitors and they are similarly priced to the Emotiva's....but I'm betting that the Adam's will be more accurate and detailed than the Emo's.

I personally really like the wider high frequency wave-guides and the increased amplification of the Emo's...but I'm skeptical about using the Emo's for critical studio applications(in contrast to the Adam's).


-Thom
Old 31st May 2012
  #59
Lives for gear
 
zvenx's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR Music View Post
......
Zvenz, we know these things are tought to beat.
truthfully I dont' think I would say that it beats the Adam's. For me it comes close enough at half the price to buy them, keep them, and be happy with them.
rsp
Old 30th June 2012
  #60
Lives for gear
A few of us had a good test with these after getting a set to Demo (6's) and they are great monitors for those on a smaller budget. (Bare in mind this is second time I've heard these but allways open for a second or more looks at things, and this time it was allot more extensive in a well treated room)
They not as good as monitors such as the 120A, A7X, CMS65, SM200 etc, but they are close and pack allot of bang for their buck. They don't have the general detail or clarity of the others, however the top end detail I'd say was better than the CMS, and they have more output (And more output than the 120a even) They do give an impression of "sounding good" which can give an empiricist of being better based on this, we all agree. The imaging is up there with them though and low end is at least clean / natural. Ribbon tweeters are usually my personal favorite but it seemed to lack a little detail and openness compared to other higher quality Ribbon (Or its technology) tweeters. There is a bit of a dip around 300-400Hz also we noticed, this could be improved with tweaking the rear. (Hump boost at around 160Hz was easily fixed with tweaking the low to -2dB,)
However as said they pack allot of bang for their buck and a close friend of mine is ordering a set to replace his R6a's based on this demo, as they seem to be a good upgrade from those.

These blow away KRK rockits though, more transparent, detailed and clean. (Than any of the rockits) and I'd say I'd prefer these than HS80's, but it's quite close. (Cleaner though)

I'm sure their next models if even higher quality will be a force to be reckoned with if they get it right, but it's a tough market with so much competition.

The F Series will be good competition for them, and it's sure great to have so many monitors in pretty much any price range. The competition and amount of monitor choices we have is just getting larger every year or two.

I'd be interested to check out those Stealth 8?
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 
 
Topic:
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
 
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.