Login / Register

Pelonis Unveils New Model 4288 Studio Monitors
New Reply
Subscribe
10th January 2012
Old 10th January 2012
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to AMIEL Send a message via MSN to AMIEL Send a message via Yahoo to AMIEL
Checking them.....these speakers are like a Microscope and Telescope !
Zoom in , Zoom Out!!!

and verrrry clean, incredible low end, I can not see somebody using subs with these speakers...

Reporting later.....and are just out of the box....

Peace.

Reuven Amiel

"There are no rules, just knowledge, good taste and experimentation"

"Music was designed to escape from reality for a moment, not to magnify our fears and problems"
10th January 2012
Old 10th January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMIEL View Post
When broken in (or not), can you elaborate your views against the monitors you have now and/or the past?

Also, how's the power handling? There was some concern in this thread that the woofs might be underpowered (speculation only).

Thanks!

"Style is knowing who you are, what you want to say, and not giving a damn." --Gore Vidal
"The best sounding sluttiest gear of all time... is a great song" --Greg Wells
"Life is too important to be taken Seriously." --Oscar Wilde
"We have Art so that we may not die of Reality." --Friedrich Nietzsche
10th January 2012
Old 10th January 2012
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to AMIEL Send a message via MSN to AMIEL Send a message via Yahoo to AMIEL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleaman View Post
When broken in (or not), can you elaborate your views against the monitors you have now and/or the past?

Also, how's the power handling? There was some concern in this thread that the woofs might be underpowered (speculation only).

Thanks!
Hi,
I think they sound GREAT, but I will have to work with them more (I just got them) and yes, I think once they will be Burned in , they will sound tighter and also will be better to make more comments, but in my opinion you can tell if a speaker is great out of the box....it is not that they suck and then they became amazing.....speakers that are great become better!!!

Now, about being under power, I think they can handle good power, you have the software where you can calibrate the levels to your taste and also you have the -10 switch, that for me delivers more than enough power.... so in this moment I am using the software for level calibration..
So, I think the system can deliver great power, is just is matter of calibration....

On the other hand, yes I have used and use Focal in another rig I have, and also before using focal I was a hardcore Tannoy user, I have had like 5 of their monitors over the years...and I love concentric monitors...so I am familiar with that technology,,,

Focal are great monitors, it is a great company and they have amazing products, so is hard to say what is good for others.... I think the Pelonis may give me the class of the Focals plus the Concentric system of Tannoy that I love and the great phase coherence and design of Pelonis ....

More details will post later
10th January 2012
Old 10th January 2012
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Zoom in , Zoom Out!!!

and verrrry clean, incredible low end, I can not see somebody using subs with these speakers...

It's painful to see them sitting here.

After pulling them out of the box there was significant damage to one cabinet ostensibly the result of some kind of serous dive in the shipping process.
I have confidence the bad luck will be taken care of ASAP by the good folks that shipped them but still,
Based on Chris and the 42's, the implied potential of these is exciting. (not to mention Dave's contagious and inescapable zeal

I'm helping who I consider to be a reputable local retailer to set up a pro audio line so I hope to have some impressions really soon.
I'm off to meditate and chant a lttle to strengthen inner patience..
10th January 2012
Old 10th January 2012
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet.d View Post
It's painful to see them sitting here.

After pulling them out of the box there was significant damage to one cabinet ostensibly the result of some kind of serous dive in the shipping process.
I have confidence the bad luck will be taken care of ASAP by the good folks that shipped them but still,
Based on Chris and the 42's, the implied potential of these is exciting. (not to mention Dave's contagious and inescapable zeal

I'm helping who I consider to be a reputable local retailer to set up a pro audio line so I hope to have some impressions really soon.
I'm off to meditate and chant a lttle to strengthen inner patience..
Yeah! UPS drivers are crazy sometimes, at least in FL...
11th January 2012
Old 11th January 2012
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to GilWave Send a message via Yahoo to GilWave
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToneRexx View Post
Yeah! UPS drivers are crazy sometimes, at least in FL...
In my now 30 years experience (krikey!), UPS are no better or worse than FedEx in their ability to screw up a shipment, package, or delivery.
11th January 2012
Old 11th January 2012
Lives for gear

Anyone compare these to Focal Twins? Just curious as that is what I use. I met Chris some years ago and always liked his take on audio. Very smart man and very cool person to boot!
Genius is small pieces Daniel Lanois

I just finished mixing this for my good friends PUYA and I'm pretty damn happy with the results
http://youtu.be/VS7ofNQarlo
bee
11th January 2012
Old 11th January 2012
bee
Lives for gear

Did they ever take better photos of them?
25th January 2012
Old 25th January 2012
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

9th February 2012
Old 9th February 2012
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Zoom in , Zoom Out!!!

Is it possible we're the only ones enjoying these things !?
Maybe we're all to busy mixing / listening to elaborate.

Been experimenting w gain staging and the software levels. Coming along well.
9th February 2012
Old 9th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Is it possible we're the only ones enjoying these things !?
How many pairs are out there??
10th February 2012
Old 10th February 2012
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
How many pairs are out there??
Not sure. I think they're just starting to ship.
Seemingly only a few have impressions on them at this time.
Positive impressions.
10th February 2012
Old 10th February 2012
Lives for gear

Care to elaborate in comparisons to other monitors?
10th February 2012
Old 10th February 2012
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Care to elaborate in comparisons to other monitors?
I'd like to give an informed answer but the truth is my experience with quality monitors is pretty limited.
I've had yamaha msp7's and jbl 100's run off an adcom (fun but not revealing) but not any of the higher end stuff.
(one reason I was using LCD-2 headphones off the dac for a while)

I'm still digesting the 4288's and in the middle of overwhelming amounts of mix work to meet a mastering deadline.
I'm struck by their serious "clarity and low end extension". Very impressive low end and again, I can only articulate by saying beautiful clarity.
I keep noticing the need to get rid of much under 50 cycles muck and some 2.5 & 6k-ish stuff here and there.
It's really improving the mixes and I'm betting they'll translate much better.
Mastering on 2/20 will tell me a lot.

I've been working on gain staging and the CP software levels to get to place of what I consider to be a comfortable headroom. I think I'm very close and as I understand it, Chris may make an adjustment or two to the software for even further flexibility options.

They are near fields after all but I can reach satisfactory levels when I need to "feel things" more. I know this was a concern for some.

For me, I'm loving what mixing has become with them.
10th February 2012
Old 10th February 2012
Gear interested

I just received my pair today and they are big. I will hook them up tonight. My pair is 023 snd 024. Most likely the first pair in Puerto Rico.
11th February 2012
Old 11th February 2012
Gear interested

Chet,
Any tips on the software setup?
11th February 2012
Old 11th February 2012
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobybayo View Post
Chet,
Any tips on the software setup?
Really depends in your dacs & monitoring but If your dacs are at +18-20 output you might want have the amp at -10 and software anywhere from 0 to +3.
You can also try the amp at +4 though SW levels would most likely need to come up a bit more.

Really have to play around a bit and tweak.
Chris might me able to assist best here and is very helpful, as well as feel free to pm me.
13th February 2012
Old 13th February 2012
Gear interested

I spend most of the week end listening to the Pelonis 4288. They have a lot of bottom end. No need for subs at least on my environment. I must say that the customer service is A-1. I sent an email on Saturday afternonn hoping to get a response during the week. Guess what, I got a response within a few hours from the Man, Mr. Chris Pelonis. We exchanged a couple of emails which helped me to setup my pair. He even researched my DAC to make sure that I was getting the most out of it. Is that personal service or what! Mr. Pelonis, thanks for your help over the weekend.
Now, back to work.
27th February 2012
Old 27th February 2012
Gear interested

Pelonis Problem

I have serial number 002 and have had major problems. First people should be aware that while the design calls for 4 ohm woofers, an early run of these were released with 8 ohm woofers resulting in them being under powered and lacking low end. The boys at KK Audio, who assemble these speakers, alerted me to this and swapped them out: Big difference! Also the high and low output on my left channel is reversed. Once swapped the speakers sound fine.
27th February 2012
Old 27th February 2012
Gear interested

Strange, I have pair 003 and can only say amazing things! Sounds to me that customer service prevails, the issues you had seemed to meet with a speedy solution! As far as how to wire them, one must take care indeed. "Major" problems?
29th February 2012
Old 29th February 2012
Gear interested

[QUOTE=EdBob;7613833]Strange, I have pair 003 and can only say amazing things! Sounds to me that customer service prevails, the issues you had seemed to meet with a speedy solution! As far as how to wire them, one must take care indeed. "Major" problems?[/QUOTE

For brand new speakers out of the box I think having the wrong impedance woofers and having the left channel crossover wired wrong does constitute a major problem.

As for the impedance issue; I was only alerted to the fact that a run of these early units have the wrong woofers in them through casual conversation with the people at KK Audio, otherwise I wouldn't have even known. I almost sent them back.

I was there buying speaker stands and racks when I noticed dozens of 4288s being assembled. I mentioned how disappointed I was with the low power, inordinate distortion, and lack of low frequency there was when one of the employees mentioned the mistake due to improper or nebulous labeling on the sourced speakers. This wrecked havoc with my schedule and produced a tangential domino effect of issues, not the least of which was having to cancel, reschedule, but still pay the acoustician who was due to come by the next day. So that was a costly problem.

As far as the miswired crossover, I don't have the time to send these back to have that corrected as I am under a deadline to finish my studio. This is compounded by the fact that I work 10 to 12 hours a day for a major broadcast network and am relegated to servicing outside clients on nights and weekends so any delay that may take anybody else a day or two to correct will set me back a couple of weeks if not a month or more. I have to wait for hiatus weeks to take care of issues like these, so yes, this constitutes a major problem for me.

Now with the correct impedance woofers I have much more power and these speakers are closer to what I expected. The bottom end is hard to judge because in my untreated room the acoustics are akin to a handball court. The top end have never been an issue and I can say goodbye to ear fatigue.

Due to the problems, when I tested these initially, people in the room got the wrong impression. That is unfortunate for a great new product such as this because my cohorts are some of the biggest mixers in the television business. I will have to invite them back when the room is done.

Everybody I talk to says that Chris Pelonis is first rate, and I know first hand that KK Audio is as well. That said there were only 50 sets of these in the initial limited run, one would have thought they would have had time to test these before they left the factory.

Anyway, this post is too long. The first post was merely meant to alert folks to the woofer issue.

By the way the second production run will have some different cabinet finishes that look pretty cool.
4th March 2012
Old 4th March 2012
Lives for gear

Send a message via Skype™ to TranscendingM
This thread caught my attention, so are there any more opinions on these monitors? Any comparisons to A7X? Anybody use these with an Avocet?
4th March 2012
Old 4th March 2012
Lives for gear

My Studio

Alright folks!!

This thread as well caught my attention big time, as an owner of a pair of Klen & Hummel 0300D, i'd like to know if anyone familiar with K&H and how if you worked on some K&H before would you compare to the Pelonis 4288?

Don't get me wrong, I loooooooooooove my K&H, I to my experience they are one of the BEST Nearfiled Monitors on the market, very pleasing, transparent, no ear fatigue never, 3 way monitors as the 4288 etc.. etc.. simply one of the best pair and God knows that before I've purchased my K&H, i've spend around almsot 3 months listening and A/B different Studio Monitors of the same range prices.

Anyways, back to topic, I'd like to hear from people as I said who happened to work with K&H studio Monitors and who have heared the Pelonis 4288

And of course I'll do my homework to call up my good friend #George at #Stevemusic here in Montreal Canada to ask him if he got a pair of the 4288 so I can get and have a listen. Hope he carry them

Thanx fellas!!

I'm very very curious to be honest
4th March 2012
Old 4th March 2012
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

4th March 2012
Old 4th March 2012
Lives for gear

My Studio

Quote:
^
I've never heard the K&H's though the word is they're very nice. You may just be best hangin w/ them but as too your question,

You can check out Gary's well thought out impressions on this very topic here ...

Monitor Shootout - Pelonis 4288, Quested V2108, Focal Twins, K&H 0300 - Gearslutz.com
Thank you very much for the link, will for sure have a read, always help and although I really love my K&H, but still intrigued the 4288 and ill do my homework and call my friend at Steve music and see if he can put his hand on!

Thanx again
14th March 2012
Old 14th March 2012
Lives for gear

Send a message via Skype™ to Thor
Ours arrived a few weeks ago, but we had some configuration issues with the amp. Once that was sorted out (quickly and professionally by Chris and the people at Wave Distro) we had them up and running in our B room.

They sound amazing considering the price. Detailed, balanced, dynamic. There's a *lot* of bass (and what appear to be a few resonance nodes, but I haven't investigated further), so we've put a gentle shelf on the bottom to keep it more realistic.

I'm impressed. Coming from someone who doesn't really care for dynamic (cone) speakers, that's a huge compliment :-).

Cheers,
Thor
www.sonovo.no
14th March 2012
Old 14th March 2012
Lives for gear

Send a message via Skype™ to TranscendingM
Thor how would you compare these to say lower-price range but revered monitors such as Adam A7's or A7X's? I've compared and worked on numerous monitors but I haven't heard these yet obviously because they are so new. Now I don't usually like to categorize equipment based solely on price, but are they even in the same class range?
16th March 2012
Old 16th March 2012
Lives for gear

How different do they sound from just buying Tannoy Ellipse monitors? One would think the high's and mid's would sound very similar. The quality of the amps would make a big difference of course
16th March 2012
Old 16th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tube World View Post
How different do they sound from just buying Tannoy Ellipse monitors? One would think the high's and mid's would sound very similar. The quality of the amps would make a big difference of course
The bigger factors are the crossovers and cabinets, which are of course different.
Otherwise we could just buy the raw drivers from most of our fav monitors and build our own speaker for 5% of the cost.
17th March 2012
Old 17th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryce View Post
We do have a Japanese distributor. Not sure where they are with the 4288, but I'll check it out.

dB
Any info?
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search