Pelonis Unveils New Model 4288 Studio Monitors
New Reply
Subscribe
4th October 2012
Old 4th October 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by twarrenl View Post
Anyone know of any US based monitor stands that can hold up to 50 lb, 30" high, with a wide enough shelf?
Skylan stands have a great rep and don't cost the earth, although I believe they're based (and made) in Calgary Alberta.
Skylan Speaker Stands
20th October 2012
Old 20th October 2012
Gear interested

Send a message via Skype™ to AndreD
Any news about the shipping delay??

Best,
Andre
9th January 2013
Old 9th January 2013
Gear interested

Long Time Reader, First Time Posting
:D
is There by any really small chance someone in Brazil with a pair of 4288´s for auditioning or any distributor in South America ?

-3dB at 27hz. This stands for as an accurate specification for this speaker performance? this should massage your balls with some modern well mix/mastered drum & bass , Reggae and other bass driven styles.
my 10¨sub already shake it and only go down to 35hz with "good" performance.

anyone knows the model of the driver and sub used in this speaker?

looking for a "full" range monitor to replace my 7 years old monitoring setup, discontinued twiters are going south on balance/clarity and i dont want to replace em at all.. my actual monitors makes it a boring job to translating mixes to other systems, there are many flaws that have to be compensated, ive worked on other much better setups where the translation was 90% spot on..in 1/3 the time i spend on my setup lol, well its time for an upgrade.
The 4288 is very interesting, with external electronics, removing the need for phase alignment/2.1 SPL calibration....and at a reasonable price.

thanks
23rd January 2013
Old 23rd January 2013
Gear interested

Pelonis Model 4288 MK II debut at NAMM

January 22, 2013

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Anaheim CA – Pelonis Sound and Acoustics will show the new Model 4288 MK II studio monitor at the NAMM convention in Anaheim starting January 24, 2013. This significant upgrade from the original 4288 has a new MSRP of $3499.

Based on original TEC Award nominated Model 4288, the MKII version features a new black anodized aluminum finish, and a new custom 8in. woofer with double spider and four layer voice coil. The original 4288's 4in.Dual Concentric Driver has been retained, but has received a new crossover with high performance metallized polypropylene capacitors. The 4in. Tannoy driver handles the mid and high frequencies up to 35kHz, while the woofer provides deep, accurate bass response down to 27Hz. As with the original 4288, the system is driven by 400W 1U rack mounted amplifier, but with upgraded software. A free software application allows for the Model 4288 to be fine tuned via USB for optimum performance in any environment.

The Model 4288 MKII will begin shipping on February 1, 2013.

Chris Pelonis will be demonstrating these - along with the Model 42 and the new 42LF MKII subwoofer at the NAMM convention in Hall A Booth 6324.
23rd January 2013
Old 23rd January 2013
Gear addict

Oops!

I wonder if the remaining stock of the originals is available at the original price.
23rd January 2013
Old 23rd January 2013
Gear interested

All shipping delays on the 4288 are over.

BIAS ALERT: I am the guy in charge or the final assembly and testing of the 4288 MKII and the new 42LF subs. Every component to build these is in stock, and cabinets are in regular production.

We expect to begin shipping the first units right after we get back from NAMM.

The bass driver is a custom, only made for Pelonis. I took one apart that was damaged in shipping and the construction is quite amazing. I am used to seeing a double spider in much larger PA type drivers, so it was a surprise to see one in an 8in. speaker. The four layer voice coil is wound on an aluminum form and the magnet structure is vented for cooling purposes. Top quality.
24th January 2013
Old 24th January 2013
Pragmatic Snob

Worth every penny, and then some.

I use the 4288's in my own room, and I'm using the 42's in my NAMM rig this weekend. I love letting people hear the Clariphonic and the Electra thru Pelonis, the near-total lack of phase hash in my eq's and the lack of crossover/phase hash from the 42's makes peoples eyes bug out a bit, the sound is unbelievably tight and clear.

And yet, I go on to add an assload of dirt with the comps and tape machine. Can't help myself!

Regardless, it's so easy to mix fast on these speakers, zero guesswork. Chris is an animal.

Gregory Scott - ubk

Kush Audio: Where High End Keeps Getting Higher

Kush Audio: Where High End Keeps Getting Higher
24th January 2013
Old 24th January 2013
Lives for gear

UBK, have you been able to compare to the Unity Rocks, PSI A17 or A21?

Also, could you "get by" just with the 42's? Imagine you're in a small bedroom...

http://roestudios.com/
Twitter!
24th January 2013
Old 24th January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben_allison View Post
UBK, have you been able to compare to the Unity Rocks, PSI A17 or A21?

Also, could you "get by" just with the 42's? Imagine you're in a small bedroom...
I heard the 42's at AES and even on the noisy floor the Imaging was pretty stellar. Bryce says you can but also recommends buying the sub. With the sub you would definitely have a complete system that could kick ass. I have been looking at lots of different monitors myself and honestly was set to either pick up a set of Dyn's BM6A version I or Munro Egg's. I have reconsidered all of that and am probably picking up a set of 42's. I will pick up the sub a few months later and rely on my current monitors for low end checking.
26th January 2013
Old 26th January 2013
Pragmatic Snob

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben_allison View Post

There's no doubt you could do very well with just the 42's, IF you place them right on your desk so that the low end extension reaches down to 50 or so (Chris himself recommends this). On stands, they'll roll off sharply around 100-150.

If you need the bass to kick you in the chest at loud levels, they won't do it. But if you monitor at modest to quiet levels, then absolutely yes, they tell the story quite accurately and sound deceptively deep given their diminutive size.

Adding a sub... I'm very wary of subs, *especially* in small rooms, they tend to create as many problems as they solve unless you have an extraordinarily well-controlled, well-tuned space. If you don't have that, I'd say go with the 42's and ref the super deep stuff on headphones.

Gregory Scott - ubk
26th January 2013
Old 26th January 2013
Gear interested

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdSimeone View Post
All shipping delays on the 4288 are over.

We expect to begin shipping the first units right after we get back from NAMM.

The bass driver is a custom, only made for Pelonis. I took one apart that was damaged in shipping and the construction is quite amazing. I am used to seeing a double spider in much larger PA type drivers, so it was a surprise to see one in an 8in. speaker. The four layer voice coil is wound on an aluminum form and the magnet structure is vented for cooling purposes. Top quality.
so no Brazil Love? how can I listen those speakers?
u guys should contact "Quanta av-pro" for distribution around here ..

all the best
27th January 2013
Old 27th January 2013
Gear addict

Pelonis Model 4288 MK II ???

Did anyone see or hear these? Thoughts? Pics/vids?

Manny
28th January 2013
Old 28th January 2013
Gear interested

I'd also love to hear anyone's impressions of the new revision, especially if you're familiar with the first version.
29th January 2013
Old 29th January 2013
Gear addict

Any word on the new MK II?
29th January 2013
Old 29th January 2013
Lives for gear

yes, will be great to know new specs, price and opinios :D
29th January 2013
Old 29th January 2013
Gear Head

very interested
29th January 2013
Old 29th January 2013
Gear interested

I'd also love to know what's happening with mark II specs and price on these
30th January 2013
Old 30th January 2013
Gear interested

Pelonis showed the new 4288 MK II and the M42LF sub-woofer at the NAMM show last week. Shipping is slated to begin on February 4th. People were pretty impressed with the blank anodized finish and the beveled edges. It is a very different than the black painted presentation found on the original MK I models.
30th January 2013
Old 30th January 2013
Lives for gear

Send a message via Skype™ to TranscendingM
How different is the sound? Has there been augmentations? A little frustrating though as the 4288 are relatively new.
31st January 2013
Old 31st January 2013
Gear interested

The biggest change is in the finish, which is now a black anodized aluminum laminate, with beveled edges (And much more expensive!).
Other small changes:
Very minor changes in the front end gain. You can do the same with the original 4288 by going into the config file and raising the gain a few dB.
The Non-polarized electrolytics in the crossover have been changed to metalized poly types.
The internal stuffing in now "green", as it is made from denim.
The woofer now has a double spider, which helps for those who play their mixes LOUD.

I run the QC tests on all 4288 that leave our facility, and the 4288 MK II measures the same as the Mk I using Fuzz Measure. In Fuzz Measure you can overlay multiple sweeps on top of one another as each measurement is a different color. The MK I and MK II fall within the driver tolerances of either series, so you do not need to be concerned if you own a MK I.
31st January 2013
Old 31st January 2013
Lives for gear

Send a message via Skype™ to TranscendingM
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdSimeone View Post
The biggest change is in the finish, which is now a black anodized aluminum laminate, with beveled edges (And much more expensive!).
Other small changes:
Very minor changes in the front end gain. You can do the same with the original 4288 by going into the config file and raising the gain a few dB.
The Non-polarized electrolytics in the crossover have been changed to metalized poly types.
The internal stuffing in now "green", as it is made from denim.
The woofer now has a double spider, which helps for those who play their mixes LOUD.

I run the QC tests on all 4288 that leave our facility, and the 4288 MK II measures the same as the Mk I using Fuzz Measure. In Fuzz Measure you can overlay multiple sweeps on top of one another as each measurement is a different color. The MK I and MK II fall within the driver tolerances of either series, so you do not need to be concerned if you own a MK I.
Hey, thanks for the informative post. It seems that the mkII contain changes weighted more towards cosmetic. The mkI's are amazing though, don't get me wrong! I just hate to feel that I was missing out already
31st January 2013
Old 31st January 2013
Gear maniac

Can you post some photos of the new finish ?
1st February 2013
Old 1st February 2013
Gear interested

I will tomorrow night. I have some prototype photos, but the logo badge is the wrong one. I need to shoot a new photo tomorrow.
TRW
1st February 2013
Old 1st February 2013
TRW
Lives for gear

1st February 2013
Old 1st February 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by u b k View Post
Worth every penny, and then some.

I use the 4288's in my own room, and I'm using the 42's in my NAMM rig this weekend.
Gregory Scott - ubk
Hey Gregory,

I think you used to have Truth Audio monitors? And I know you had some LSR's (I have the larger LSR32's).
Can you elaborate on the differences between the Truth's, LSR's and if you've heard them, the Opals?

I have ALL 3 of them (plus NS10m's, Yorkville YSM1's, and Avantones....lol!) The Opals are my current main fav out of all of them so far, but the 4288's are surely enticing.

"Style is knowing who you are, what you want to say, and not giving a damn." --Gore Vidal
"The best sounding sluttiest gear of all time... is a great song" --Greg Wells
"Life is too important to be taken Seriously." --Oscar Wilde
"We have Art so that we may not die of Reality." --Friedrich Nietzsche
1st February 2013
Old 1st February 2013
Pragmatic Snob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleaman View Post
I think you used to have Truth Audio monitors? And I know you had some LSR's (I have the larger LSR32's). Can you elaborate on the differences between the Truth's, LSR's and if you've heard them, the Opals?

You're wanting my thoughts on the Truth vs. LSR vs. Opals? Or all of those vs. the Pelonis?

I'm happy to share, just want to make sure I understand the question before babbling on.

Gregory Scott - ubk
1st February 2013
Old 1st February 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
You're wanting my thoughts on the Truth vs. LSR vs. Opals? Or all of those vs. the Pelonis?

I'm happy to share, just want to make sure I understand the question before babbling on.
No one minds when you babble.
1st February 2013
Old 1st February 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:

Gregory Scott - ubk
All of them vs the Pelonis, if possible.
I have all of them except the Pelonis (though I have the 3-way LSR32's, not the active 8" LSR's).
2nd February 2013
Old 2nd February 2013
Gear interested

Hey TRW, thanks for posting the photos of the new finish of the 4288 MK II. I did not get down to the shop today to take photos. Guys, you will see that the edges are beveled. The cabinet is laminated with black anodized aluminum, and the edges are machined off and the bevel edge is finished with a black sealent. It looks great.
We have not been the exporter to the UK, so I have to find out who has been bringing them in.
3rd February 2013
Old 3rd February 2013
Geariophile

I believe Unity Audio will be bringing them in, but not sure when. This is last I heard a little while ago anyway.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search