New Reply
Subscribe
Silver Sonya
23rd September 2011
Old 23rd September 2011
Lives for gear

Sonivox Wobble

I suppose it was inevitable.

Reminds me of this thing. The product of the trend that signals the end of the trend. That kind of thing.

- c
23rd September 2011
Old 23rd September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Sonya View Post
I suppose it was inevitable.

Reminds me of this thing. The product of the trend that signals the end of the trend. That kind of thing.

- c
Thanx for sharing and indeed was a question of time and here we have it. Tasty, looking forward to this baby
23rd September 2011
Old 23rd September 2011
Lives for gear

Hah - I even had a "Grunge" pedal.

I actually loved it for running my drum machine through, but I was making tekno at the time, so I guess the end had come....

bring back thumbsup

Sincerely Yours,

Orion L. Paradis
23rd September 2011
Old 23rd September 2011
Lives for gear

Tv composers on tight schedules love stuff like this. "Hey, listen up, I want that 20 sec bumper for that tweens segment in half an hour! And it's gotta be fresh!" There are times when I wish that music was my main source of income. Then there are times when I'm really happy that it's not.

r,
j,

My pet project, Romfarer
23rd September 2011
Old 23rd September 2011
Gear maniac

Damn!...I must not be as hip as you guys...

I find Dubstep much, much, much more interesting than house music the ever prolofic (like a weed?) 4 on the floor UGG! ..and most current Pop?....

...this looks way cool to me? What is the dealeo with all the haters of Dubstep? I personaly am a 'jazz funk' guy. But the way I 'hear' it is 'dubstep' or 'wobles' open up a huge new creative arena where one can muniplate fintlers/envelopes with computer automation-it's really very exciting and wide open for those with an open mind IMHO.

I'm not liking the price though...

[URL="http://chucksilva.bandcamp.com/[/URL]

http://chucksilva.bandcamp.com/
23rd September 2011
Old 23rd September 2011
Lives for gear

I don't hate dubstep at all, I've been a fan since I lived on the south bank some years ago and got to hear it just when it was about to get big. And - my own stuff is very related to it as well and has been for many years. But this, a "press-a-button-and-we'll-spew-forth-an-ersatz-...thing" tool, is, quite frankly, bordering on the offensive. One might of course just nod and smile faintly, but I guess this just wasn't one of those days. Tomorrow will be, I think.

Peace,
j,
Silver Sonya
23rd September 2011
Old 23rd September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transistor View Post
I don't hate dubstep at all, I've been a fan since I lived on the south bank some years ago and got to hear it just when it was about to get big. And - my own stuff is very related to it as well and has been for many years. But this, a "press-a-button-and-we'll-spew-forth-an-ersatz-...thing" tool, is, quite frankly, bordering on the offensive. One might of course just nod and smile faintly, but I guess this just wasn't one of those days. Tomorrow will be, I think.

Peace,
j,
That's it precisely. I try not to get too emotional about this stuff, it's bound to happen. And it's no crime, really. It's just a little bit dorky and it takes all of the soul and the cool out of it. But there are worse things happening in the world to get upset about.

- c
23rd September 2011
Old 23rd September 2011
Gear maniac

Quote:

Peace,
j,
With all due respect to you sir I don't think this is a fair allegation-"press-a-button-and-we'll-spew-forth-an-ersatz-...thing" tool?????

This doesn't look to be the case at all to me. It's just another creative angle for making dubstep type wobles (of which I am by no means an expert). One will still need to find a creative spark to make it 'work'.

Ableton Live makes looping EASY and fast as well as a host of other operations-does that make Ableton bad? Because it's easy? Is it not legitimate unless it's hard? Or reserved for the few that can figure out a program?
23rd September 2011
Old 23rd September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthling View Post
Damn!...I must not be as hip as you guys...

I find Dubstep much, much, much more interesting than house music the ever prolofic (like a weed?) 4 on the floor UGG! ..and most current Pop?....

...this looks way cool to me? What is the dealeo with all the haters of Dubstep? I personaly am a 'jazz funk' guy. But the way I 'hear' it is 'dubstep' or 'wobles' open up a huge new creative arena where one can muniplate fintlers/envelopes with computer automation-it's really very exciting and wide open for those with an open mind IMHO.

I'm not liking the price though...
Dubstep COULD be great.. heck, some even is pretty damn nice but like in any other genre, which is gathering some serious momentum, there are the unfortunate wannabes who have absolutely no idea what-so-ever of music.

Horrible chord progressions. Incredibly cliched leads and basslines. Horrible sense of any rhythm. Youtube is littered with "dubstep" of all kind where having something wobble immediately gives it the title of dubstep. Thus all these horrible examples of "dubstep" dillute the pool of actually good stuff meaning that the common denominator for dubstep becomes "crap".

It's even worse when some people think that just because you have an LFO modulating the filter or amplitude you suddenly are creating something complex. It's rather sad actually.
Silver Sonya
23rd September 2011
Old 23rd September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
With all due respect to you sir I don't think this is a fair allegation-"press-a-button-and-we'll-spew-forth-an-ersatz-...thing" tool?????

This doesn't look to be the case at all to me. It's just another creative angle for making dubstep type wobles (of which I am by no means an expert). One will still need to find a creative spark to make it 'work'.

Ableton Live makes looping EASY and fast as well as a host of other operations-does that make Ableton bad? Because it's easy? Is it not legitimate unless it's hard? Or reserved for the few that can figure out a program?
You're being logical, which I appreciate. But it's not about whether this makes something easy or not (although that is part of it). There's a culture and history behind musical aesthetics. It's kind of about semiotics. And gut feeling.

It's not a big, dramatic issue, it's just a little bit tacky, that's all.

Again, no crime. And it might even be a well-designed instrument for all I know, I'm not dissing the people who coded it.

- c
23rd September 2011
Old 23rd September 2011
Lives for gear

You have to decide for yourself how you work, but at a certain level this "prepackaged" production is spoonfeeding the lowest common denominator.

Now that everyone can do it, no one wants to hear it anymore.

What was on the creative/technological edge becomes banal.

To quote my favourite cheezeball Chris Sheppard, "It's played out".

(btw - did you see his episode of Cribs - very enlightening )
23rd September 2011
Old 23rd September 2011
Gear maniac

Quote:
You're being logical, which I appreciate. But it's not about whether this makes something easy or not (although that is part of it). There's a culture and history behind musical aesthetics. It's kind of about semiotics. And gut feeling.

It's not a big, dramatic issue, it's just a little bit tacky, that's all.

Again, no crime. And it might even be a well-designed instrument for all I know, I'm not dissing the people who coded it.

- c
Hmmmm intresting....well thanks for not attacking me! My wife hates me because I love to debate-I'm one of those really annoying types that will disagree just for the sake of discussion?

Now I'm thinking way back a hundred years ago when I first started playing guitar-tone and distortion and fx and all that were brand new...and one had to go through quite a bit of trial and error and expense to find 'the tone'. Now there's a panorama of choices-maybe too many.

And I studied jazz....back in 1978 jazz was mostly a street music-there were not allot of books etc etc on the subject-now 'they' have managed to 'quantise' it? Youtube is full of great tips and studies for those interested.

Regarding the other comment...youtube is full of shitty guitarists too-rock and metal guitarists in particular-but there are also some phenomenal ones. Especially with the advent of youtube and the interenet in genral-one is going to find 80% junk. This is nothing new. The nugget of gold has ALWAYS been in the alchemy.
23rd September 2011
Old 23rd September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:

A wobble does not a dubstep maketh. But a cliche it definitely is. They even call this thing "Dubstep and Grime generator". If that isn't a press here, get genre there "tool", then what is? But, as already said, this is really nothing to get worked up about. Since we're not in a bar with a glass of 12 year old rum each, bickering about the insignificant bits in life, I mean Someone might even make something pretty awesome with it.

Peace,
j,
23rd September 2011
Old 23rd September 2011
Gear maniac

Quote:
A wobble does not a dubstep maketh. But a cliche it definitely is. They even call this thing "Dubstep and Grime generator". If that isn't a press here, get genre there "tool", then what is? But, as already said, this is really nothing to get worked up about. Since we're not in a bar with a glass of 12 year old rum each, bickering about the insignificant bits in life, I mean Someone might even make something pretty awesome with it.

Peace,
j,
Someone might even make something pretty awesome with it. I can totally relate to that statement-my glass is half full.

And yeah-music is not that serious as nothing is?

Or everything is?

It just is?

Right?

Pass the rum mate!
24th September 2011
Old 24th September 2011
Lives for gear

They probably wouldn't get this kind of reaction if they called it the Modulated Spectral Morphing Synthesis Generator (which apparently it is).

Then again they probably want to sell a few of these...

I really shouldn't talk... I called one of my products the FatJuno-6...

- Hugo

Purveyors of quality sample based instruments
www.goldbaby.co.nz
Blog
Twitter

24th September 2011
Old 24th September 2011
Lives for gear

Undoubtedly someone will use this to do something creative and interesting... and far removed from it's intend purpose.

- Hugo
24th September 2011
Old 24th September 2011
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by huggie View Post
Undoubtedly someone will use this to do something creative and interesting... and far removed from it's intend purpose.

- Hugo
What more need be said than this?

The problem with trends is that they're trendy ?

There will always be slaves to fashion as trends come and go and come once again. And the same can be said for Rock & Roll, Country, R & B, Classical, Jazz etc etc

House music (disco is the archetype) has morphed into almost countless genres and sub genres as it continues it's immense popularity worldwide.

And I am an old guy that has no business even being on this thread-but seems to me that Skrillex has the Dubstep ball at the moment-much to the chagrin of some and the delight of others.

Last edited by Earthling; 24th September 2011 at 12:59 AM.. Reason: spelling
ska
24th September 2011
Old 24th September 2011
ska
Gear nut

Anyway...

Has anyone at least tried it? They don't seem to have a demo....strange
24th September 2011
Old 24th September 2011
Lives for gear

I don't see the problem it's just a plugin that makes easy work of wobble sounds, NI Massive made easy work of Wobble sounds too.
24th September 2011
Old 24th September 2011
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by cane creek View Post
I don't see the problem it's just a plugin that makes easy work of wobble sounds, NI Massive made easy work of Wobble sounds too.
+1 :^/
26th September 2011
Old 26th September 2011
Gear nut

Quote:

Peace,
j,
I didn't realise you'd already test driven it. How did it run on your computer? How many instances etc? I'm assuming you HAVE test driven it, as you seem to know so much about it.
26th September 2011
Old 26th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardtoe View Post
You have to decide for yourself how you work, but at a certain level this "prepackaged" production is spoonfeeding the lowest common denominator.

Now that everyone can do it, no one wants to hear it anymore.

What was on the creative/technological edge becomes banal.

To quote my favourite cheezeball Chris Sheppard, "It's played out".

(btw - did you see his episode of Cribs - very enlightening )
BS. Everyone can play a kick drum. No one wants to hear a kick anymore? Kick drums are banal now? Because someone can press a button to play a kick drum, it's prepackaged and spoonfeeding the lowest common denominator? No. You still need creativity to make something great with a kick drum.

Just like any other music or sound tool, it can be used to make great music and sound, or mediocre or worse BS. And just like any other musical genre, dubstep can sound great when it's done well, but most of it will sound mediocre or worse.

Hell, 90+% of music, sound and recording in general sounds played out to me. I have to search for the really good stuff... because it ain't easy to make no matter what tools you use... nor what the tools are named, for that matter.
27th September 2011
Old 27th September 2011
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by javahut View Post
BS. Everyone can play a kick drum. No one wants to hear a kick anymore? Kick drums are banal now? Because someone can press a button to play a kick drum, it's prepackaged and spoonfeeding the lowest common denominator? No. You still need creativity to make something great with a kick drum.

Just like any other music or sound tool, it can be used to make great music and sound, or mediocre or worse BS. And just like any other musical genre, dubstep can sound great when it's done well, but most of it will sound mediocre or worse.

Hell, 90+% of music, sound and recording in general sounds played out to me. I have to search for the really good stuff... because it ain't easy to make no matter what tools you use... nor what the tools are named, for that matter.
I second that your Honor. I rest my case.
Silver Sonya
27th September 2011
Old 27th September 2011
Lives for gear

Do a Twitter search for the #squaretech hashtag.

- c
ska
27th September 2011
Old 27th September 2011
ska
Gear nut

What does it say?....I'm not into twitter
ska
28th September 2011
Old 28th September 2011
ska
Gear nut

BTW
There is no demo available. It is a boxed, retail-product and would be shipped to your address when ordered.

Who dares....not me
Silver Sonya
29th September 2011
Old 29th September 2011
Lives for gear

30th September 2011
Old 30th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Ugh.
- c
Thanks for showing us some crap...

and then there's this...
30th September 2011
Old 30th September 2011
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by javahut View Post
Thanks for showing us some crap...

and then there's this...
Very nice! Can you recommend a good sample set for this kind of vibe? :^/

Or anyone?

Last edited by Earthling; 30th September 2011 at 04:55 PM.. Reason: add
30th September 2011
Old 30th September 2011
Gear maniac

Just for shit and grins this is a 'fusion' inspired track with a DubStep or D&B vibe i did recently-I'm not that hip obviously-just having fun being creative with this incredible technology? (this aught to make you gag a bit)

New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search