Login / Register

HARRISON LINEAGE (4 Eras of Mic Pres in 1 Unit)
New Reply
Subscribe
work2do
20th August 2011
Old 20th August 2011
Lives for gear

HARRISON LINEAGE (4 Eras of Mic Pres in 1 Unit)

harrisonconsoles.com - Lineage 8-channel Mic Preamp

The Harrison Lineage eight-channel microphone preamplifier provides 8 microphone preamps, each from a different era of Harrison consoles. Each pair of preamps has their own unique character, providing the recording engineer with several options in a compact 1RU box.

The front panel provides inputs for channels 1 and 2 (with selector switches) and controls for each of the 8 mic preamps:

Two 70-80's era mic preamps, with pad and 48V switches.
Two 80-90's era mic preamps, with pad and 48V switches.
Two 90-00's era mic preamps, with pad and 48V switches.
Two Trion mic preamps, each with pad, 48V, instrument mode, and "FIX" gain preset.

An innovative addition is the "FIX" button on each of the two Trion preamps. The "FIX" button engages a preset gain trim (user-adjustable via a trim pot). The combination of the front-panel input switching and the "FIX" buttons allow you to switch the first two preamps between one use (such as 2 calibrated overhead mics in the studio) and another (such as a vocal chain setup) without having to re-set the input gain in-between.

The rear panel includes 8 microphone preamp inputs and a DB25 connector carrying the 8 line outputs. The unit is constructed with a robust power supply and uses high-quality components that are assembled and tested at Harrison's factory in Nashville, Tennessee, USA.

Retail: $2,995.00
20th August 2011
Old 20th August 2011
Lives for gear

its going to be big... let me be the first to

if its all trafo i/o, they managed to get a hella lot of stuff into that box... that 'FIX' idea is way cool!
20th August 2011
Old 20th August 2011
Lives for gear

Nice. Fresh.
20th August 2011
Old 20th August 2011
Lives for gear

man, is this for real?? awesome
20th August 2011
Old 20th August 2011
Lives for gear

That's HOT!!!
20th August 2011
Old 20th August 2011

My Recordings/Credits

Very cool box!

20th August 2011
Old 20th August 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindell View Post
Very cool box!

Indeed !! +1
20th August 2011
Old 20th August 2011
Lives for gear

Much better product than the 950 will buy! Good price!
20th August 2011
Old 20th August 2011
Lives for gear

Harrison is on a roll...

Little confused about the whole front panel - rear panel channel 1-2 inputs and the whole "FIX" thing. Is the fix button simply fixed gain for either front or rear inputs? and just a simple (yet nice idea) for a quick gain stage switch. OR can you plug in 4 sources (front left right - rear left right) and by pressing the "FIX" button set the fixed gain stage as well as switching the inputs to front panel (or rear only - however its setup to do) like an inline console. ??

looks like a contender for anyone looking for variety in 8 channels either way.

Suffering from one of Lifes greatest atrocities..and one of its greatest triumphs ~ Self Education
20th August 2011
Old 20th August 2011
Lives for gear

This is a great idea, versatility, tone and good price point,
ima get this one!
21st August 2011
Old 21st August 2011
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Coolest preamp concept ever
21st August 2011
Old 21st August 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuRnitUpsuM View Post
Harrison is on a roll...

Little confused about the whole front panel - rear panel channel 1-2 inputs and the whole "FIX" thing. Is the fix button simply fixed gain for either front or rear inputs? and just a simple (yet nice idea) for a quick gain stage switch. OR can you plug in 4 sources (front left right - rear left right) and by pressing the "FIX" button set the fixed gain stage as well as switching the inputs to front panel (or rear only - however its setup to do) like an inline console. ??

looks like a contender for anyone looking for variety in 8 channels either way.
I’ll try to clarify…

There are 2 gain pots on the first 2 preamps. One uses the big red knob/s and the other uses the trim pot next to the FIX switch. When you press the FIX switch the preamp uses the trim pot gain setting when the FIX switch is not selected the preamp uses the red knob gain setting. That’s pretty much it. You can have two separate gain settings on the first 2 preamps and switch between them. A possible use for this might be to have two different gain settings for a particular performance and be able to switch between them on the fly. Or if you have a critical chain set up and you know the performer is coming back next week you can use the trim pot to set the gain and leave it there where it won’t get bumped, then you can use the red knob etc. and when the performer comes back hit the FIX switch and the gain is exactly where it was before.

We thought it was pretty cool suggestion from a good friend of mine and we decided to incorporate it.

The front panel inputs simply offer mic or instrument inputs via the front panel (there are also mic xlrs for these on the rear as well). The FRONT 1 and 2 switches select them instead of the rear connector to the corresponding preamp. The INST switch on preamp 1 and 2 changes the impedance for when there is an instrument plugged in the front. This just gives you a some flexibility without having to climb behind and unplug and plug cables etc.

We were looking to offer something unique.

Gary Thielman
Harrison Consoles
21st August 2011
Old 21st August 2011
Lives for gear

Wow. Under $400 per channel for 8 channels of Harrison. 1U too.
Very very cool.
21st August 2011
Old 21st August 2011
Lives for gear

Send a message via ICQ to ~ufo~ Send a message via Yahoo to ~ufo~
tasty!
22nd August 2011
Old 22nd August 2011
Gear addict

I know nothing about Harrison preamps, can someone give a quick rundown of the differences of these pre's ?

Steve
22nd August 2011
Old 22nd August 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Thielman View Post
I’ll try to clarify…

There are 2 gain pots on the first 2 preamps. One uses the big red knob/s and the other uses the trim pot next to the FIX switch. When you press the FIX switch the preamp uses the trim pot gain setting when the FIX switch is not selected the preamp uses the red knob gain setting. That’s pretty much it. You can have two separate gain settings on the first 2 preamps and switch between them. A possible use for this might be to have two different gain settings for a particular performance and be able to switch between them on the fly. Or if you have a critical chain set up and you know the performer is coming back next week you can use the trim pot to set the gain and leave it there where it won’t get bumped, then you can use the red knob etc. and when the performer comes back hit the FIX switch and the gain is exactly where it was before.

We thought it was pretty cool suggestion from a good friend of mine and we decided to incorporate it.

The front panel inputs simply offer mic or instrument inputs via the front panel (there are also mic xlrs for these on the rear as well). The FRONT 1 and 2 switches select them instead of the rear connector to the corresponding preamp. The INST switch on preamp 1 and 2 changes the impedance for when there is an instrument plugged in the front. This just gives you a some flexibility without having to climb behind and unplug and plug cables etc.

We were looking to offer something unique.

Gary Thielman
Harrison Consoles
Thank You Gary,

For the Clarification. Is a pretty cool suggestion indeed and thank you for incorporating it into the unit. Adds a nice little something extra on top of the flexibility 4 different sets of preamp flavours already bring to the table. Many will find a good use for that feature (myself included).

cheers
22nd August 2011
Old 22nd August 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjari View Post
I know nothing about Harrison preamps, can someone give a quick rundown of the differences of these pre's ?

Steve
Ive only ever heard a 70's Harrison amp racked. But my brief experience with that and understanding the progression of electronic circuits ( later in years the goal became less salt and peppered sonics). It would go something alil like this?

70's ~ 80's - flavourful
~ (80-90 and
~ 90-'00 )
Trion - closest to clean gain. (Harrisons interpretation - what really is clean when everything has a sound?)

later era retaining alil flavour from previous but inching closer to clean gain.

just a guess as a reason im interested in this micamp is, new sonic discovery on top of the flexibility.
23rd August 2011
Old 23rd August 2011
Lives for gear

Thank you for coming on board Gary. Can you tell us a bit about the topology of the channels? transformers? op-amps? discrete? class A?
26th August 2011
Old 26th August 2011
Lives for gear

Hi everyone. I copy/pasted some of the text from a "work in progress" brochure onto the Lineage page. It covers the basic topology of each mic preamp.

We've also added links to some of the resellers that we are working with:
Lineage Mic Preamp

-Ben

(sorry for the small fonts on some of these pages, it's been on our to-do list forever...)
26th August 2011
Old 26th August 2011
Lives for gear

So overall, all the four preamps are on the clean side, am i reading it wrong?
Where the 90-00 is the more colored? (due to the fet stage? just guessing)
29th August 2011
Old 29th August 2011
Gear maniac

Hardware

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenLoftis View Post
(sorry for the small fonts on some of these pages, it's been on our to-do list forever...)
Ben- I can help with the fonts if you like. I've been using Joomla forever.

Love to try one of these Lineage units out sometime soon. Cheers
30th August 2011
Old 30th August 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retinal View Post
So overall, all the four preamps are on the clean side, am i reading it wrong?
Where the 90-00 is the more colored? (due to the fet stage? just guessing)
coloured? maybe not so much, more a little more flavoured than the 80s-90s though. The 70s-80s would probably provide alittle more "bite" due to driving the gain-stages a little harder. Also the 90-00 is electronically balanced on the output. Most of an amps "sound" is the input.. but you can get alittle bit more pepper from the output...

same ballpark, but varying subtletys? especially if they all differ in Impedances. Mics will play a big role on which pair to try first.
30th August 2011
Old 30th August 2011
Lives for gear

Hi Ben and Gary

wondering if one of you gentleman could shed a light on this (got me thinking from the last post) are the Impedances differing from vintage to vintage? or are the roughly the same?
30th August 2011
Old 30th August 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuRnitUpsuM View Post
coloured? maybe not so much, more a little more flavoured than the 80s-90s though. The 70s-80s would probably provide alittle more "bite" due to driving the gain-stages a little harder. Also the 90-00 is electronically balanced on the output. Most of an amps "sound" is the input.. but you can get alittle bit more pepper from the output...

same ballpark, but varying subtletys? especially if they all differ in Impedances. Mics will play a big role on which pair to try first.
Thanks man,

the unit sound like a workhorse to me, which is nice
30th August 2011
Old 30th August 2011
Lives for gear

@tuRnitUpsuM:

Yes, the input impedances are different. The "Trion" preamps are relatively low impedance because of the transformer on the front end. The 70-80s are relatively high impedance, and the other 4 are more "typical".

We will publish a spec sheet shortly with all the details.

Best,
-Ben
31st August 2011
Old 31st August 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retinal View Post
Thanks man,

the unit sound like a workhorse to me, which is nice
definitely.. its the workhorses that always seem to stay in the racks right.

anytime, cheers!
31st August 2011
Old 31st August 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenLoftis View Post
@tuRnitUpsuM:

Yes, the input impedances are different. The "Trion" preamps are relatively low impedance because of the transformer on the front end. The 70-80s are relatively high impedance, and the other 4 are more "typical".

We will publish a spec sheet shortly with all the details.

Best,
-Ben
Thanks Ben,

is a good thing me thinks.. opens up the sonic experimentation window even further. Lots of goodies about the unit. Gratz.
30th September 2011
Old 30th September 2011
Lives for gear

Hi Everyone!

Sorry for the delay on the spec sheets. We wanted to make sure to write the specs to the measured performance of the production units. You can download the spec sheet here:
http://www.harrisonconsoles.com/line..._MicPreamp.pdf

This provides the input impedance of each preamp pair along with other good information.

We are having a busy month shipping consoles ( a big MPC4-D film console for SoundFirm in Australia, and 3 Trion Live consoles for YonSei church in South Korea ). This delayed the first big production run of the Lineage units slightly, but they are being assembled at our factory now. I will post here when these are shipping to our dealers!

We will be at AES booth #748 with Mixbus, the Lineage Mic Preamp, and the 950m console. Come by to see us!

-Ben Loftis
Harrison Consoles
30th September 2011
Old 30th September 2011
Lives for gear

Hi Ben,

I was wondering if Harrison Consoles were interested in an Advertising proposition? ok, here goes...

I will tattoo Harrison Consoles on my forehead for a 16 mono channel 950m console. Discuss amongst your Colleagues.

Thank you for the spec sheet.

p.s i wont hold my breath on the proposition.
29th October 2011
Old 29th October 2011
Lives for gear

The Lineage mic preamp was awarded "Certified Hit" status by MIX magazine! Thanks guys!
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search