Subscribe
GnS
20th June 2011
Old 20th June 2011
Gear nut

Send a message via ICQ to GnS
Hardware Equator Audio announced D5 Coax Monitors with DSP = 300$/pair

Today I found this on the equator homepage:

Equator 2-Way Active Coaxial Studio Monitors with Internal DSP (Sold as a Pair).

The Goal: Develop a Pro Monitor to Sell for Under $300 a Pair.

The only way we can get this quality studio monitor under 300 per pair is to sell them online, direct.

By selling direct to the end-user, we eliminate the margins normally received by a distributor, a retailer, and a factory sales rep. Further, by reducing our own margins we are able to use the highest quality (expensive) components to deliver the absolute best product for an amazing $299.99 introductory price.

Through normal retail distribution channels, with our current BOM (Bill Of Materials) and the cost of each link in that sales chain (Distributor, Rep, Dealer), the D5 would cost the end-user no less than $749 per pair ... with performance that exceeds that of other competitive $749 per pair products.

Our new D5 (Direct 5) studio monitors are geared for the recording professional seeking a small (9.75" x 7" x 8.5"), affordable, accurate, well-voiced, reference studio monitor solution. Focused attention was paid to the development details to ensure that they deliver professional sonic performance. These monitors feature an expensive coaxially designed transducer with a 5.25" woofer and a 1" silk tweeter. The frequency response is 53hz to 20khz. A new cutting edge digital amp with breakthrough performance was designed specifically for the D5. The internal DSP allows for intricate factory adjustments.

The D5 has pro features like a balanced XLR (and unbalanced TRS ) input as well as a boundary selection switch to select the appropriate monitor response for their placement (in a corner, in front of a wall, free standing). No plastic front baffle here, the D5 features an all wood cabinet, including a wood front baffle, for optimum performance. No simple air releasing cutout on the front baffle or cut-out hole in the back here, the D5 features a fully extended 1.75" perfectly tuned front port, providing superior and accurate extended low-end response. And because the port is on the front the D5 can be positioned close to a wall with no fear of the low-end being choked. The coaxial transducer design combined with a steep 4th order crossover delivers a detailed mid-range that allows for clarity in that complex 900Hz - 3 kHz range. Guitars, voices, strings, horns, reverb trails are very clearly and accurately portrayed and any mid-range anomalies that might exist in the source material can be easily determined and addressed. Because of our matched transducer output, mid-range mix elements can be positioned in the stereo field without the fear of being misplaced. The D5’s are optimally pre-set and voiced for ideal instrument translation.

Like the Q Series, the D5 features our Zero-Point Reference™ custom designed coaxial Digitally-Controlled Transducers™ along with internal DSP to provide a consistently matched output with every unit. This allows for accurate no-shift imaging. The DSP also allows for pin-point accurate voicing. The voicing was aided by award-winning recording engineers that referenced their hit mixes for voicing considerations. With high-quality components, internal DSP, 100w of power and 103 dB of SPL the D5 deliver a huge bang for a little buck.

The Direct Field systems start at $299 and are available within the United States, Canada and Mexico directly from the Equator Audio online store.

We are so confident that you will love them that we even offer a 60 Day Money Back Guarantee.

Source:
Equator D5 5.25" Coaxial Studio Monitors w/ Internal DSP for Matched Output and Accurate Voicing. Under 300 Per Pair.

Needless to say that I'm pretty pissed for living in europe, eh?
4th August 2011
Old 4th August 2011
Gear nut

Like the Q-series,I'm sure the D5's will eventually have international distribution....but yeah....who knows what the price will be then...maybe as much as $600 a pair?I feel your pain.

I never thought I would find myself buying these monitors-as initially,I thought it was a scam for the price,but the more research I did on them,the more I was convinced that they are the real deal.

I placed an order for them yesterday & I'll let you know how they behave.

-Elwood
4th August 2011
Old 4th August 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by GnS View Post
Needless to say that I'm pretty pissed for living in europe, eh?
You are happy boy! they ship to France I`m pissed off by living In Latvia
GnS
4th August 2011
Old 4th August 2011
Gear nut

Send a message via ICQ to GnS
I doubt that they'll ship to the EU cos the backplate says "120V", which wouldn't be suitable for european use...
4th August 2011
Old 4th August 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GnS View Post

The D5 has pro features like a balanced XLR (and unbalanced TRS ) input ...
Uhm, TRS is also balanced. Maybe you mean TS.

If anybody hears these, please let us know how they sound.

PS: If Equator could make them work for 230V (Europe), that would be awesome.

Cheers!
5th August 2011
Old 5th August 2011
Lives for gear

TRS can be both. TRS as stereo...
5th August 2011
Old 5th August 2011
Lives for gear

Just ordered.

G
7th August 2011
Old 7th August 2011
Gear maniac

Is there any further info about the power supply?
MOST power supplies of this type are switchable (they are not difficult to design this way...) 110/230(240)....

B.
9th August 2011
Old 9th August 2011
Gear addict

This is the first I've heard of Equator monitors. Has anyone compared theirs to the old Tannoy coaxial line, i.e. Gold Monitor? Those classic Tannoys are my standard, but physically too large for the workbench. I need a smaller coaxial with the same high quality imaging and detail, and wondering if something from Equator might be the ticket.

Thanks,
9th August 2011
Old 9th August 2011
Lives for gear

Send a message via ICQ to jeronimo Send a message via AIM to jeronimo
Curious...

Posted via the Gearslutz iPhone app
9th August 2011
Old 9th August 2011
Gear nut

Initial Impressions Of The Equator D5's

Just received my D5's today and first off,I'd like to mention that with regard to the lack of markings around the areas of the volume & room correction knobs as indicated in the photos on the website,is false(for anyone who may have concerns about this).
There are in fact,A multitude of precision markings around the "sensitivity" knob,as well as 3 numerals to indicate 3 different settings on the "boundary" knob.

Speaking of which-the tactile aspect of the knobs alone,is a good indication of how solid & precise these monitors are,as they are built like an armored truck.

The face plate surrounding the drivers appears to be plastic,but feels very well in tact,so I can't be sure of what the material really is.I love the fact that the D5's are more compact than my CX5's and still manage to deliver an adequate amount of low end to mix effectively(though I haven't actually mixed on them as of yet).

The boundary settings are marked as 1,2 & 3...three being the most bass,which is what I had presumed as being the ideal setting,being that the spec sheet indicates 53Hz and has it turns out,it seems to be the right setting at this point in time.
My room is small,moderately treated & has an overabundance of furniture in it,as well as my monitors being placed away from the corners.

I've listened to several songs I've recently recorded & mixed on my Adam A7's and everything was spot on...tight & ample bass & impeccably smooth & articulate mids & highs.
I set the volume levels of my D5's at 75%,as well as my audio interface,which is an effective level of volume I like to work with.Most of my songs have a fair amount of punch to them and the D5's can really take a beating,as the driver cone did not falter at all.

The details revealed in the reverbs & delays-as well as other nuances were as clear to me as if I had a pair of high end headphones on(certainly on par with my Adam A7's,but more of a plug & play factor with the D5's).
The ultimate listening test for me,was when I listened to a tune I arranged & recorded,using only a vocal track in MP3 format and adding all of my own instrumentation.
I used Suzanne Vega's vocals(so I obviously had to guess what the tempo was) and I ended up making a series of several splices,just to get the vocals to fit my music.
That being said,there was quite a few artifacts of areas where I made the splices,but I did my best to conceal them.
It's something you couldn't really hear on average monitors like my CX5's,but those splices were clear as day,on the D5's & that was the defining moment,when I new I had bought something really special!

The true test of course,will be to mix on them,but thus far,I am really shocked at how accurately the D5's represented my recordings and I never even dreamed of getting this kind of quality out of a $300 pair of monitors.

The D5's are really a purchase of a lifetime....as I don't think I'll ever come across a deal like this again!

-Thom
9th August 2011
Old 9th August 2011
Gear maniac

Thom - thanks for the review!
Just wondering if you can check - are the power supplies 110/240 switchable? These sound like a great little pair I might be able to travel with - but I need both voltages to be useful. And I don't have the spare weight to carry a conversion transformer with me
Thanks! Brendan.
10th August 2011
Old 10th August 2011
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Ted Keffalo - is it possible he was the designer of the KEF series?
i use the KEF Q15 passive monitors, also coaxial... love them.

i used to have the KEF C55s, coaxial/passive... those were sick too.

is this the same designer?
10th August 2011
Old 10th August 2011
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by colony nofi View Post
Thom - thanks for the review!
Just wondering if you can check - are the power supplies 110/240 switchable? These sound like a great little pair I might be able to travel with - but I need both voltages to be useful. And I don't have the spare weight to carry a conversion transformer with me
Thanks! Brendan.
Sorry friend,but it's strictly 120V....I suspect that this is due in part,to the unusually low cost of this particular model.
Perhaps this will change in the future and consequently cost more coin.

-Thom
10th August 2011
Old 10th August 2011
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricey View Post
Ted Keffalo - is it possible he was the designer of the KEF series?
i use the KEF Q15 passive monitors, also coaxial... love them.

i used to have the KEF C55s, coaxial/passive... those were sick too.

is this the same designer?

Yes,Ted is the same designer.If you click on the link the original poster provided,you'll find out everything you want to know about this company.Alternatively,you could just Google the D5's....that's what I did.

-Thom
10th August 2011
Old 10th August 2011
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by elwoodblues1969 View Post
Yes,Ted is the same designer.If you click on the link the original poster provided,you'll find out everything you want to know about this company.Alternatively,you could just Google the D5's....that's what I did.

-Thom
that makes me want them already... i did dig around the site, didn't see the KEF brand specifically mentioned in his bio, just Event and Alesis...
also cool, i didn't know he had a hand in the 20/20s. really glad to see this guy is still developing what is my hands-down favorite design.
10th August 2011
Old 10th August 2011
Gear maniac

Quote:
Sorry friend,but it's strictly 120V....I suspect that this is due in part,to the unusually low cost of this particular model.
Perhaps this will change in the future and consequently cost more coin.

-Thom
Ah - thanks for letting me know. One hopes a 240v version is on the cards...
14th August 2011
Old 14th August 2011
Gear nut

it's weird that the review on their website is the same one that Thom wrote here. All of Thoms posts are in this thread. Something smells fishy.

Thom, what's your affiliation with the company?

Anyone else try them?
14th August 2011
Old 14th August 2011
Gear nut

My affiliation with the company?Well....I bought a pair of D5's from their website and then posted a user review on their website.
That being said,my affiliation with the company,is that I am one of their CONSUMERS.....does that make any sense to you?

I discovered this thread when I ran a Google search on the Equator D5's,& this website came up on the list....so I decided to engage in a discussion over a product I had a vested interest in,which is not an uncommon thing to have happen.

Here's a friendly tip for you....if you want to post the same product review in more than one website,you highlight your article,copy it and then paste it to the next desired location.

Why would someone do this you ask?To save time.Why would someone post a review in more than one website?Common courtesy,if one is so inclined and has some spare time on their hands.

If I am a legitimate consumer,why have I not frequented this forum more?Because I spend most of my time at Kara-Moon.com,KVRaudio.com and TweakHeadz.com

If I was some evil marketing rep out to scam you,do you really think I would tell you the truth,about my real intentions?

Perhaps you should be more pragmatic in your research,before you start crying conspiracy,like for instance,checking with SoundOnSound magazine to see if there are any reviews on Equator Audio products.

If you bothered to read through Equator Audio's history on their website,you could extrapolate quite a bit of leads into this company's track record.

I can understand one being cautious & having a reasonable degree of skepticism towards a product they're unfamiliar with and I myself,was sketchy about them a couple of weeks ago,but I pounded the pavement so to speak and did all of the necessary research,until I was satisfied(which did not include accusing other forum members of being company affiliates).

Check the date I joined this forum,as it was nearly two years ago.I butted heads with some other forum members long ago & decided to lay low for a while,as I am only interested in gear talk,not fighting over arbitrary nonsense.

If you're so suspicious of these monitors,than make things easy on yourself and don't buy them,period.

-Thom
14th August 2011
Old 14th August 2011
Lives for gear

these look pretty nice...
14th August 2011
Old 14th August 2011
Gear nut

Quote:
My affiliation with the company?Well....I bought a pair of D5's from their website and then posted a user review on their website.
That being said,my affiliation with the company,is that I am one of their CONSUMERS.....does that make any sense to you?

I discovered this thread when I ran a Google search on the Equator D5's,& this website came up on the list....so I decided to engage in a discussion over a product I had a vested interest in,which is not an uncommon thing to have happen.

Here's a friendly tip for you....if you want to post the same product review in more than one website,you highlight your article,copy it and then paste it to the next desired location.

Why would someone do this you ask?To save time.Why would someone post a review in more than one website?Common courtesy,if one is so inclined and has some spare time on their hands.

If I am a legitimate consumer,why have I not frequented this forum more?Because I spend most of my time at Kara-Moon.com,KVRaudio.com and TweakHeadz.com

If I was some evil marketing rep out to scam you,do you really think I would tell you the truth,about my real intentions?

Perhaps you should be more pragmatic in your research,before you start crying conspiracy,like for instance,checking with SoundOnSound magazine to see if there are any reviews on Equator Audio products.

If you bothered to read through Equator Audio's history on their website,you could extrapolate quite a bit of leads into this company's track record.

I can understand one being cautious & having a reasonable degree of skepticism towards a product they're unfamiliar with and I myself,was sketchy about them a couple of weeks ago,but I pounded the pavement so to speak and did all of the necessary research,until I was satisfied(which did not include accusing other forum members of being company affiliates).

Check the date I joined this forum,as it was nearly two years ago.I butted heads with some other forum members long ago & decided to lay low for a while,as I am only interested in gear talk,not fighting over arbitrary nonsense.

If you're so suspicious of these monitors,than make things easy on yourself and don't buy them,period.

-Thom
Fair enough. Didn't mean to call you out. Just asking in the interest of "full disclosure." Obviously on a site like this people are just here to create interest in new products and sell a few more units.

I hadn't heard of this company before and I'm always put off by the "We've cut out the middle man to bring you xxxx product at the absolute lowest price direct from us...." sales pitches YMMV
14th August 2011
Old 14th August 2011
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagineaudio View Post
Fair enough. Didn't mean to call you out. Just asking in the interest of "full disclosure." Obviously on a site like this people are just here to create interest in new products and sell a few more units.

I hadn't heard of this company before and I'm always put off by the "We've cut out the middle man to bring you xxxx product at the absolute lowest price direct from us...." sales pitches YMMV
Don't sweat it,we all want full disclosure...but I have found that the only way to get the real scoop on a product,is to do your own research and more research....I mean,scour the internet incessantly.

Thanks to my subscription to the AudioFanzine's newsletter,I was made aware of the D5's but at first glance,they appeared to be a cheesy pair of single driver units,like a cheap pair of car speakers and I thought the monitors were a bad joke.
I had originally posted about the D5's on the Tweakheadz forum as a joke,for a laugh,but one of the moderators who happens to be a professional recording engineer and a particularly brilliant and well respected one,did the research that I should have done to begin with and she offered insight into what Equator Audio is really about.
About 7 years ago,I picked up my first pair of powered monitors in a Sam Ash store and completely unbeknownst to me at the time,was how complex and intricate the whole listening/mixing experience really is and how critical a role monitors play in this area.
I've spent a relentless amount of time researching,reading,studying and engaging in long discussions with people who are seasoned recording enthusiasts of all types for years and I still find myself very humbled by the whole process of learning them.

Just when I think I've got a firm handle on the subject to the point where I think I have the adequate amount of knowledge to make an informed purchase,I find myself learning something new about monitors.
Even people who are formally trained in this field as a profession,are sometimes thrown a curve ball by a new spin on technology,so it really pays to keep an open mind regarding studio monitors.
After years of recording,whether it is done as serious hobby or otherwise,one tends to scoff at something new that seems dubious somehow and it's very easy to mock something that you do not understand.

It doesn't pay to harbor so much cynicism over a company-believe me,as I've learned my lesson.It if wasn't for Liz Corin on the Tweakheadz forum that convinced me to reconsider the D5's,it may have been weeks or months,before I took Equator Audio seriously and I may have missed out on the introductory price.
About a year ago,I was on a website called keyboardforums.com and most everyone there were stone cold amateurs and when I engaged in a discussion about Korg keyboards,they automatically accused me of being a Korg rep,just because of my long experience as a Korg user.
That being said,it tends to rub me the wrong way when folk cast aspirations that are unsubstantiated,but I do understand most of us are fed up with
marketing ploys on the net.

I was put off by the unusually low price as well at first(especially so,since their Q-series is so expensive) and there are a score of small time online retailers that make the same claim-but if you'll notice,they are not a retail store and that's the difference.
Here is another fact about the D5's that sets them apart from other monitors in this price range-the features; DSP driver correction,thermal protection,short circuit protection and limiter & driver protection....all of which do not exist in any budget monitors on the planet(because they are not budget monitors trying to masquerade as high end ones).
Monitor manufacturers simply do not offer so many high end features at this price point-which to me,indicates that the absence of a distributor,a sales rep and a storefront are all true.

At one point,I thought it was contradictory that there "goal" was to offer pro monitors for $300 by cutting out the middle men and yet,it's only a temporary thing.
However though,this did not change the fact that I could get my hands on what would probably be a set of pro monitors at a budget price and as it turned out,it was authentic.

My honest opinion,is that this is simply a matter of a small,specialty company that normally caters to professionals,that are just trying to branch out beyond their usual margins,by offering a special deal to encourage people to try out their products.
I really think that Equator Audio had no choice but to find a way to undercut the competition effectively and this was the way to do it.
Like it states on their website,I do believe that this price is in fact,an introductory one and it will increase in the future and the more I thought about it,it would be silly of me not to at least demo them.

Don't get me wrong,as not at any point,was I 100% convinced of the D5's quality,until they arrived on my doorstep,but with a 60 day unconditional guarantee & for the price-I was saying to myself-f*ck it,I'll try them out for myself...why the hell not?

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/oct0.../equatorq8.htm

-Thom
14th August 2011
Old 14th August 2011
Gear nut

14th August 2011
Old 14th August 2011
Gear nut

Thanks for the links. Though, like this thread, both of those discussions seem to be driven by you. Not accusing you of anything, so please don't read it that way, but I would love to read some others opinions on them.

Cheers!
14th August 2011
Old 14th August 2011
Gear nut

Indeed they were started by me(I go by a different handle there)...mainly the whole reason why I posted those links here.

Gathering up as many different opinions as you can does help to a certain degree,but one thing to keep in mind,is that everyone's listening environment is different,so variances in acoustic conditions in a room bring different interpretations of the same monitor's performance.

I'm not suggesting that you discard any future user reviews,but for me personally and as a general rule,I use SoundOnSound's reviews as my main influence for choosing monitors.

Since SoundOnSound has obviously not reviewed them yet,I decided to just demo them for myself.
The shipping cost is more than what a retailer may charge(I paid $35),but if you were to return them,they send you a return authorization invoice....I can't remember if the refund includes the shipping cost(not a concern of mine, obviously).

-Thom
14th August 2011
Old 14th August 2011
Gear maniac

Looks interesting! Do you know if they plan on making a version with 8-inch drivers? I recently discovered my mixes were lacking in the 3k range (see thread here ) so I'm looking into potentially switching out the old Mackie HR824's with something else. However, I'd imagine I'll be missing the 8-inch woofer...

Would love to hear more opinions on these monitors. Thanks for bringing them to our attention OP!
17th August 2011
Old 17th August 2011
Lives for gear

i just ordered mine, i'll let u guys know how it sounds like to my ears...
25th August 2011
Old 25th August 2011
Gear nut

It's very curious to me that two posters in this thread ordered the D5's and never posted their reviews....I guess they didn't think much of them.

Anyhow....I found this post on the Tweakheadz forum and thought it would be of particular interest to those folks abroad.

Re: Initial Impressions of the Equator D5's
by Donnie B. on Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:25 pm

Big Tim wrote:
Not currently available in the UK, apparently. Dagnabbit.

Full disclosure. I am one of the engineers that helped develop the D5s.

The first production units are all 120V. Eventually they will be available in 230V. If you contact Equator and place an order, you can request that the speakers be converted to 230V.
I am affiliated with Equator Audio.

Donnie B.

I am not familiar with this person,but evidently,there were quite a few developers involved in the design of the D5's.

-Thom
25th August 2011
Old 25th August 2011
Lives for gear

I tested the Q12s early this year.......................................................................................................................
25th August 2011
Old 25th August 2011
Lives for gear

Waiting for mine to show up.

Another week or so ...

G
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search