Nebula Server released!

26th March 2011
Old 26th March 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeronimo View Post
It's out there!

Nebula3 Server Bundle
That's just pc version tho, right? Still waiting on au.
26th March 2011
Old 26th March 2011
Gear addict

I've betatested it. Great concept, very stable, but you can't run too much instances due the network overload (don't ask me why). Pricing is great.

I have a PC server with a Mac client based on Nuendo 5.

jeronimo
26th March 2011
Old 26th March 2011
Lives for gear

Send a message via ICQ to jeronimo Send a message via AIM to jeronimo
Yes, this PC Server to Mac Client is a great idea, since you can build a strong windows machine with the price of an UAD let's say...
26th March 2011
Old 26th March 2011
Lives for gear

26th March 2011
Old 26th March 2011
Gear Head

Can someone explain more how this works please?
Been looking at purchasing Nebula and if the server concept works solidly I think it might be the last reason I need .. is it possible to run the server on a PC while using Logic on Mac?

Any info would be muchos appreciados!
thumbsup
26th March 2011
Old 26th March 2011
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoshimodular View Post
I've betatested it. Great concept, very stable, but you can't run too much instances due the network overload (don't ask me why). Pricing is great.

I have a PC server with a Mac client based on Nuendo 5.

How many instances were you able to get using Nebula server and what were the specs of your slave computer
26th March 2011
Old 26th March 2011
Lives for gear

Two things going on here, right?

One is server across machines to run one host, and then another comp running instances, correct?

Not interested in that one.

Unless I'm mistaken, other is local host part which runs it's memory allocation outside of host program. From what can tell, this provides that as well... like Kontakt's memory server does for kontakt, right? But it looks like this only does so on the PC side for now, or am I getting something mixed up?

Looking to deal with memory issues on the mac au / logic side.
26th March 2011
Old 26th March 2011
Gear addict

Can local Server work on a computer to access more RAM, if the operating system itself (rather than the DAW) is 32bit (say Win7 32bit)?
27th March 2011
Old 27th March 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-sharp View Post
Can local Server work on a computer to access more RAM, if the operating system itself (rather than the DAW) is 32bit (say Win7 32bit)?
I also betatest it. No! You won't be able to access more ram then before. In order to achieve that you need to run 64 bit OS. The whole point of this is very clear and awesome:

You can:

- Install 64 bit OS, Install all of your 32 bit host and applications and 32 bit plugins.

- You order Nebula Server edition

- Then you can load nebula 32 bit (they call it x86) which can utilize more ram via local server just like 64 bit (they call it x64) - thus overcoming 32bit limitation ram Access. That is why they say you can load x64 in 32 bit host.

- Just explanation. Under "local server" don't be afraid of anything complicated. It is not complicated as it sound and running Nebula local server is almost instant. Not anything complicated. However if you are running more of "real" computers in the network then you have to set IP.

Very very good in practice.

But if situation is that you have more computers in your network you can utilize some of them. Go in forum and ask there.
27th March 2011
Old 27th March 2011
Lives for gear

Can you use 3rd Party emulations with it?
27th March 2011
Old 27th March 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeljkom View Post
Can you use 3rd Party emulations with it?
Of course!
27th March 2011
Old 27th March 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpod View Post
Of course!
Thanks.
27th March 2011
Old 27th March 2011
Lives for gear

We're finishing off a dell poweredge server setup for Nebula at the minute. Going to be doing a blog covering the various different stages etc. Hopefully it's going to run under linux happily, but we might need to setup vm's and virtual ip addresses etc. Exciting times!!!!
27th March 2011
Old 27th March 2011
Lives for gear

So...

The LOCAL server bit... just hosting memory outside of host program... is something that is still NOT availabe for AU (mac, logic), correct?

86 means PC only now, right?
jeronimo
27th March 2011
Old 27th March 2011
Lives for gear

Send a message via ICQ to jeronimo Send a message via AIM to jeronimo
So far you can install Nebula Server on a windows machine only... but you can have the Client on any OS you want...
27th March 2011
Old 27th March 2011
Lives for gear

Is there a basic "how to set up Nebula Server" tutorial anywhere?
27th March 2011
Old 27th March 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparqee View Post
Is there a basic "how to set up Nebula Server" tutorial anywhere?
I don't know maybe in manual (i don't know if this exist i never bothered since it worked for me right away)but IMHO it is so easy that you don't need it.

You just have to put static IP address on machines in network and put that same number in nebula XML configuration file. You'll "get it" just by looking in xml. If server is local then you simply leave empty field or 127.0.0.1

example:

In server .xml: SERVERADDRESS should be 127.0.0.1
In client .xml: SERVERADDRESS should be the server ip address

I suggest you visit their forums and ask there.
28th March 2011
Old 28th March 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpod View Post
You just have to put static IP address on machines in network and put that same number in nebula XML configuration file.........

To anyone interested,

If your running windows, open a comand prompt and type "ipconfig" to find out your ip address (possibly mac address too if needed). Some routers may need the mac addresses of machines to be allowed on the network (eg draytek)

Normally, windows uses dhcp for networking to assign an ip address automatically for internet etc. To change to a static ip, open ipv4 network settings and change from automatic to manual. If we call the network the ".1" network for example, the main servers ip could be 192.168.1.1, so this would be both the ip address of that machine and also the default gateway for all machines using the ".1" network. subnet mask is 255.255.255.0

So main machine 1:

IP: 192.168.1.1
Gateway: 192.168.1.1
Subnet: 255.255.255.0

machine 2:

IP: 192.168.1.2
Gateway: 192.168.1.1
Subnet: 255.255.255.0

etc etc..
28th March 2011
Old 28th March 2011
Gear maniac

Boy, looking at this makes me really jump into the nebula bandwagon. Spending money on a uad2 quad really seems like a stupid and wrong move. I'll keep my two uad1s until they die--or get unsupported, which is more likely to happen.

I do remember liking the free tube library and plate verb from nebula 3.

29th March 2011
Old 29th March 2011
Lives for gear

Well, after a complete re-install of Nebula I finally have the remote server functioning but I have to say it's not as stable (at least on my systems) as I had hoped. Half a dozen instances of various libraries, a buffer of 1024 and I'm getting audio drop outs. Both systems are 3GHz quads with as gigabit Ethernet connection between them (direct link, no switch). The server is only hitting 50% CPU utilization and the network metric is only showing about 17%. The worst part is that if I try dragging plugins between slots Cubase totally freezes and the server locks up hard requiring a reboot. I feel like I have to treat this thing with kid gloves.

Perhaps other people are getting better results with different hardware but I for one am glad that I have my UAD cards. Don't get me wrong, I will certainly be using Nebula server but I had hoped for better performance.
29th March 2011
Old 29th March 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Well, after a complete re-install of Nebula I finally have the remote server functioning but I have to say it's not as stable (at least on my systems) as I had hoped. Half a dozen instances of various libraries, a buffer of 1024 and I'm getting audio drop outs. Both systems are 3GHz quads with as gigabit Ethernet connection between them (direct link, no switch). The server is only hitting 50% CPU utilization and the network metric is only showing about 17%. The worst part is that if I try dragging plugins between slots Cubase totally freezes and the server locks up hard requiring a reboot. I feel like I have to treat this thing with kid gloves.

Perhaps other people are getting better results with different hardware but I for one am glad that I have my UAD cards. Don't get me wrong, I will certainly be using Nebula server but I had hoped for better performance.
we are working on bugs. I suggest to test nebula3 free server before buying, because on tcp/ip side there could be still crash issues. We are really releasing a local server solution, but since it could be buggy we are providing more or less at the same price also a server solution, which will be priced a lot more when things will be sorted. For this reason we didn't advertise it very much, there is no word in our website about it and you should know about it reading a topic in our forum, the same topic dedicated to nebula3 server free.

About tcp communication: you need a multilan card. Each lan cable (don't look at 17% of utilization) is good for more or less 13-14 nebulas.
Yes use more cables (like in oracle server configurations), that's all.

Things are different on localserver side. Nebula localserver should load presets quickly, and access ram in a better way. Soon we'll optimize further the ram usage, things which are possible using this approach.
29th March 2011
Old 29th March 2011
Lives for gear

Interesting. The first I heard of Nebula Server was a youtube video demonstrating a remote server setup so that has always been my impression, and of course there is a great deal of talk on the Acustica forum about remote server setup.

Once again I seem to be confounded by the documentation (or lack there of).
29th March 2011
Old 29th March 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Interesting. The first I heard of Nebula Server was a youtube video demonstrating a remote server setup so that has always been my impression, and of course there is a great deal of talk on the Acustica forum about remote server setup.

Once again I seem to be confounded by the documentation (or lack there of).
Yes remote processing over LAN was initial idea. Then they developed that "local" idea for the people which want to overcome RAM limit.

I am with you on this one and i would like to see improvement over "remote" area as well. Local is fine but having dedicated computer just for Nebula seems exciting and imho they should focus on initial (remote) idea.

Local server is already running damn fine.

Don't worry they are constantly improving things which is what i like. IMHO they shouldn't release these ideas in public until ideas are more mature(read almost finished) but i am sure some people will argue with me about that.

I am more for finished product then release. It gives more confidence and better feel.

Releasing unfinished idea but yet to bi finished is giving kinda strange feeling.

The problem is - if you can call it like "problem" - that Zaphod want to give everything to anyone and everything at the same time. Something very open minded but also dangerous in this world.
29th March 2011
Old 29th March 2011
Lives for gear

I never tested Nebula because of too much trouble to get it working with Logic 9 as AU, nevertheless nice info.

DAW 1: iMac 27" 2.93GHz i7 Quad - DAW 2: MacBook Pro 15" 2.4GHz i5 Dual
Apple Logic Pro X
29th March 2011
Old 29th March 2011
Lives for gear

The au part is no longer an issue. Still 32 bit, and no memory server, but ported and stable. No wrappers. No crashes.

Now the latency... Don't get me started about the playhead position in Logic when using reverb version of NEB3. As far as I'm concerned, that alone... regardless of any other issues... makes it a mixdown ONLY option in Logic. It's my understanding that some other DAW's get along with it better in this regard as they have different methods of dealing with the latency.
30th March 2011
Old 30th March 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
makes it a mixdown ONLY option in Logic. It's my understanding that some other DAW's get along with it better in this regard as they have different methods of dealing with the latency.
This is exactly the reason for me not to use it...too much configuration troubles. If I start my computer it should work immediatly.
30th March 2011
Old 30th March 2011
Lives for gear

It seems that 64bit for OSX won't take
that long anymore, in fact, I read that
Giancarlo is testing it now.
Now if the RAM footprint can be reduced
with distribution across multiple instances,
than I'm a happy camper!
30th March 2011
Old 30th March 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC View Post
It seems that 64bit for OSX won't take
that long anymore, in fact, I read that
Giancarlo is testing it now.
Now if the RAM footprint can be reduced
with distribution across multiple instances,
than I'm a happy camper!
I did notice that too... just as a test, I loaded half a dozen of the lower latency versions... and they spiked one of 8 cores. Frustrating... but not nearly as much as all the problems from running one single instance of the high latency version (reverb) If that's just the way it is in Logic, then so be it, but the lack of answers, documentation, etc is really quite surprising considering how problematic it is. This is not like most plugs. Most plugs just work. The issues I've had here are issues I've never had before with hundreds of plugs tried.

There really needs to be (WITHOUT digging through forums) a clear, and simple one page readout PER DAW that reads like the following:

LOGIC users:
The reverb version uses higher latency. This has the benefit of reducing CPU load, and will let you run programs with longer tails, etc. These higher latency settings are recommended for Nebula use in general, but are not default on the non-reverb version for the non-reverb instances that don't require it because the latency settings can cause issues.

First, be aware that if you use even one instance of the reverb version anywhere in your session, your playhead position shown on the screen will no longer match your audio position. You will see your playhead cross a song position first, and the audio will follow noticeably later. This has to do with the way Logic compensates for the unusually high latency settings.

Second, if you do additional latency-inducing routing... like taking the output of a reverb buss with a reverb instance of Nebula and sending it to a subgroup, this may cause logic to be unable to properly handle the latency, and may cause delay compensation issues with various tracks (especially virtual instruments.) Instruments may begin to play out of sync with the rest of the audio. Additionally, this may cause overload messages which will cause the session to stop.

For these and other reasons, it is suggested that you do not use nebula reverb until you are ready for mixing and use simplified routing when you do use it.

If I had seen that simple disclaimer up front, it would have saved me a week of headaches. Instead, I had to dig... and dig... and dig... and dig... and dig...
30th March 2011
Old 30th March 2011
Lives for gear

you can lower latency of reverb version... are you aware about that?
Just edit DSPBUFFER parameter in DISK page and push SAVE
Most of logic users are using a 1024 value there.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search