Old 1st March 2011
Lives for gear

Joe Barresi : Tracking Rock

Techbreakfast and On The Mark Media are proud to announce the
availability of our newest Master Series featuring infamous
producer, recording engineer and mixer, Joe Barresi

Joe has produced, recorded and mixed some of the greatest Rock music of
our time: such as Queens of the Stone Age, Tool, Bad Religion, Kyuss,
Weezer, The Melvins, Parkway Drive, etc.

It is available for purchase here: Joe Barresi: Tracking Rock

Featured in the video is UK recording trio Zico Chain .. a high-energy alternative rock band.

Filmed entirely in High-Definition video over three days of live-tracking,
"Joe Barresi: Tracking Rock" takes you through the entire experience of
watching Joe and the band lay down all the tracks for a song in Joe's studio.

Joe details his choices of mics, amps, out-board gear and his unique and sonically exquisite soundpath.

In addition, you can see how Joe uses his years of experience to guide how the sounds get put down.
This is a rare chance to peak "behind the scenes" in how a top-tier engineer does his craft.''

Trailer

As Executive Producer Tony Shepperd explains

"Joe Barresi is a one of a kind on the music industry. He has the
ability to not only produce, record and mix great music, but he brings to the
table an equal amount of musicianship in his playing. In this Tracking Rock
series you will learn some of the secrets to the Joe Barresi sound. In the
days we spent recording at Joe's House of Compression, I was blown away
at Joe's sound. I've been an engineer for over 25 years and yet I found
myself watching intently as Joe took the cameras on this back stage pass of
Tracking Rock.
"

"Joe Barresi: Tracking Rock" is initially available in download form only. However, a BluRay video disk is in the works.

A follow-on release on how the song was mixed by Joe will be available in Q3 of 2011.

The video and audio production were done by On The Mark Media based
in Pasadena, California USA

2nd March 2011
Old 2nd March 2011
Lives for gear

I just love that he has his ears plugged in the youtube picture. Obviously I'd do the same thing but it just looks like he hates the playing.

Great DVD cover too.....just kidding

Seriously this looks interesting..I'd like the check out the mixing DVD though when it comes out.
2nd March 2011
Old 2nd March 2011
Gear nut

This looks great. A bit rich for my blood right now but that doesn't mean it's not worth it.

Good luck,

Warren
2nd March 2011
Old 2nd March 2011
Gear interested

very bad, i just payed $95 for something that is censured (audio and video) - guitar setup...

dvd with a lot of blured abd black covered gear and a lot of audio beeps...
2nd March 2011
Old 2nd March 2011
Lives for gear

That's not so hard to find out which "Top Secret" amp it is... and by the way that's the only part of the Video where there's something kept "secret"
2nd March 2011
Old 2nd March 2011
Lives for gear

When I come to think of it, I guess that they did it in purpose, so that people come to forums like this and discuss "Joe's top secret amp" ... I can tell you what amp it is, but maybe it was modded (who knows), and it doesn't matter any way. I'll give some hints: There's a part of the video that you can see the top of the amp's logo; at the side of the amp you can see 2 screws; the amp does sounds like a nu-metal kind of 5150...
2nd March 2011
Old 2nd March 2011
Gear interested

thats not the point, I personally don't care which amp is that, because I don't like the guitars sound that Joe record for Zico Chain.
My point was that they choose to make dvd and to reveal all their secrets and to charge it $95... Im just so irritated by censured stuff...
2nd March 2011
Old 2nd March 2011
Lives for gear

this is so cool!! must check it out later!!
2nd March 2011
Old 2nd March 2011
Gear maniac

Honestly I am, too, a little disappointed with this DVD. It's basically ,,well this mic, i don't exactly know what it's called'' to ,,this nice neve knockoff style mic pre, a little EQ in the... hmm ... well i don't know exactly what range - just turning knobs man''

on top - the censored part confused me a little, too.

Don't get me wrong... for more advanced engineers this is a great video because it shows his production style in the big picture. But for an instructional DVD I'd have supplied technical info like settings and the like to provide some sort of technical background for those who need it. To me the DVD does only scratch the surface...

To sum it up: What's really informative are the philosophies behind his studio ,,design'', setups and recording approach. But you don't see a lot of hands-on ,,tweaking-craft''

All in all: 95$ is a lot to ask for this... I'd rather spend 70$ for both of Tony's DVDs

Just my 2 cents of course
Jonny

Last edited by Blind; 3rd March 2011 at 10:24 AM.. Reason: I made up my mind a little and thought that I didn't really express what I was thinking about the DVD
jmarkham
2nd March 2011
Old 2nd March 2011
Lives for gear

Thank-you for your comments and feedback. We are discussing how
to address your critiques.

jeff
2nd March 2011
Old 2nd March 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanakan View Post
thats not the point, I personally don't care which amp is that, because I don't like the guitars sound that Joe record for Zico Chain.
My point was that they choose to make dvd and to reveal all their secrets and to charge it $95... Im just so irritated by censured stuff...

this one actually deserves a larger font...

wow.

really ?

i suppose i did not notice the video's title: "all the secrets from joe baressi"

perhaps i'm not seeing the claims that this video will "reveal all their secrets" on the website or other promo for it.

i noticed that joe doesn't reveal his bank account contents either. or his blood type....or the address of his studio...or his personal cell phone number...or what he and homme did for satan to accomplish the guitar tone on the first qotsa record...etc.

when i was starting out..i would have paid twenty times the amount of this video to just have a PEAK into a recording session like that.

for $95.00 do you believe you are paying for 100% of 20+ years of joe's experience and knowledge ?

if all you were looking for was EXACTLY what gear joe uses...you pretty much are missing the whole point of the video..and this gig...really.

or.....

you could view the "top secret" block outs on the video...as....humor.

it worked for me.

best,

jch
2nd March 2011
Old 2nd March 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanakan View Post
very bad, i just payed $95 for something that is censured (audio and video) - guitar setup...

dvd with a lot of blured abd black covered gear and a lot of audio beeps...
It could be a developmental amp for which he signed an NDA. I can't think of too many other reasons why you would do something like that. I just wanted to point out that it is possible that there are viable reasons why it would be censored but perhaps some clarification might be helpful from the people who created the video.

It would be disappointing if the reason it was censored was because he didn't want anyone to know what he was doing but I somehow find that difficult to believe given the intent of the video and his overall laid back demeanor. It would also be pretty disappointing if his explanations were as non-descript as some have already posted.

I want this to be really good

"I do use compressors/limiters but not for controlling dynamics, I use EQ for that!" Jp22 (damn I miss him)

"Education is a progressive discovery of our own ignorance." -- Will Durant, historian (1885-1981)

"I try to get a boom out of the bass drum, in one of my albums, my CD, boom, I try to get that big boom, I could not get a big boom, I paid bucks, and could not get the boom" - Recording Expert, Tad Donley
jmarkham
2nd March 2011
Old 2nd March 2011
Lives for gear

To address the specific settings, we took high-rez photographs off all the
gear that was used in each major section. We were going to detail
this .. but we felt it kind of missed the point of Joe's style.

In any case, give us a chance to do some Photoshopping on the pics
and we'll provide them.

That's what I love about online delivery .. we can add stuff as you
request.
jeff
2nd March 2011
Old 2nd March 2011
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchadstopherhuez View Post
this one actually deserves a larger font...

wow.

really ?

i suppose i did not notice the video's title: "all the secrets from joe baressi"

perhaps i'm not seeing the claims that this video will "reveal all their secrets" on the website or other promo for it.

i noticed that joe doesn't reveal his bank account contents either. or his blood type....or the address of his studio...or his personal cell phone number...or what he and homme did for satan to accomplish the guitar tone on the first qotsa record...etc.

when i was starting out..i would have paid twenty times the amount of this video to just have a PEAK into a recording session like that.

for $95.00 do you believe you are paying for 100% of 20+ years of joe's experience and knowledge ?

if all you were looking for was EXACTLY what gear joe uses...you pretty much are missing the whole point of the video..and this gig...really.

or.....

you could view the "top secret" block outs on the video...as....humor.

it worked for me.

best,

jch
Im sure you had wrote something but all I see is BLa bla bla bla or maybe this is enough large for with you BLA. please stop banally annoying posts

and for all other potential buyers of dvd, Jeff from 'On The Mark Media' is a great guy and have excellent customer communication and DVD is great, lot to learn from it, need so little to be brilliant...
2nd March 2011
Old 2nd March 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarkham View Post
To address the specific settings, we took high-rez photographs off all the
gear that was used in each major section. We were going to detail
this .. but we felt it kind of missed the point of Joe's style.

In any case, give us a chance to do some Photoshopping on the pics
and we'll provide them.

That's what I love about online delivery .. we can add stuff as you
request.
jeff
I agree with that... or better said, I share the same approach that at the end it doesn't really cares what Q, freq value, comp ratio, etc it is used, but rather "how does it sounds", and what tools Barresi uses to get those results. Of course that the majority of people getting this video want to copy&paste the settings, but lets face it, that is just an academic exercise because each song/production is different.

Actually there's no "major secret" in the all video (except the amp part, which is probably a joke, because the amp case/box/frame is from a Peavey 6505, I'm 99,99% sure). The majority of the gear he uses is known for years, so there's no major "ta-da" moment in the video, other than the great sounds he pulls out of the equipment at his hands...

What I do miss however, or what I was expecting from the DVD, was a more technical approach... the testing of different amps, guitars and mics, the procedure of "achieving" the sound that you hear when the band is recording.
It looks like the DVD crew arrived one day too late... damn it... "Sorry guys, everything is already set! But I'll tell you what we can do... if you want, you can stay and film the guys tracking, and during the breaks I'll show you the studio around and the signal chains I used, is that OK?" .

I don't know what the intention was, but you can't really call that a "Recording Tutorial DVD" (what people thought it would be), more like "A day at the studio with Evil Joe"... still much better than MTV Cribs .

I don't care, I loved it anyway, because it confirms what I believe: there are no rules and no secrets, just use your years, and do the best you can with what you have. Try to get the best gear to the the task at your hands. It doesn't cares what brand or model you are using, as long as it sounds good. Barresi's attitude Rocks thumbsup

Last edited by G-Spot; 3rd March 2011 at 01:56 PM.. Reason: grammar...
2nd March 2011
Old 2nd March 2011
Lives for gear

sorry for derailing the thread.

i truly was attempting humor through sarcasm....to point out what i believe is humor....through sarcasm in this video. re: the "censuring" of gear/etc.

clearly i failed. sorry for the static.

my direct apologies to tanakan.

got a little too "gearslutty" in my posting today.

carry on...

jch

Last edited by jchadstopherhuez; 2nd March 2011 at 09:07 PM.. Reason: clarification. seriously...i'm just having a bit of fun here..no offense/meaness meant at all...
2nd March 2011
Old 2nd March 2011
Gear maniac

I really have to officially appreciate Jeff's effort to contact me and talk about my experience with the DVD and whether or not they are able to change the DVD content for the ,,better'' - this is relative of course and i don't want to sell my opinion as the holy grail (for all the haters out there)

Anyway - very nice move Jeff!

Yours,

Jonny
2nd March 2011
Old 2nd March 2011
Lives for gear

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Spot View Post
What I do miss however, or what I was expecting from the DVD, was a more technical approach... the testing of different amps, guitars and mics, the procedure of "achieving" the sound that you hear when the band is recording.
This was exactly what I didn't like about the other TechBreakfast DVD I bought... Tony was like "Now we're going to record rhythm guitars" << PICTURE CUT >> "Ok now that we've got those done" what?!?! Isn't this a video on how to track? And I've complained about it before but seriously he only uses the CLA waves SSL presets during his "mix" tutorial - weak.

I hope Kenny does a tracking tutorial for GROOVE - his are great. thumbsup
2nd March 2011
Old 2nd March 2011
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchadstopherhuez View Post

"banal" is an adjective as is. "banally" would be the adverb form.

could any grammar experts chime in here ? i'm curious.

which is the correct use ? is "banally" referring to "annoying" ?

does it completely depend on the intended meaning of the sentence ?

in other words...am i to stop annoying the posts (as in my sarcastic comments on someone else's post) , in a banal manner....or am to stop making annoying posts (as this very one could be construe), as this appears banal ?

i truly would like to know...(sarcasm free)

best,

jch

Why is that important for this discussion? Did you maybe think of language barrier? On how many languages you know all grammar rules?
In my first language banal - bannaly means when you talk about complex, important stuff and you make them sound like simple, stupid.. annoying is completely different adjective.
Actually I have skipped the part after 'or' :D...
but anyway, thanks for the grammar lesion (sarcasm free). English is far - far from my first language, but I have seen much worse grammar knowledge than mine, from bunch of people born and raised in English speaking countries...
3rd March 2011
Old 3rd March 2011
Lives for gear

Two things...

1. Please lets keep on topic and if you want to have a conversation about linguistics, go to another thread.

2. At an event of Ronan's Recording Fest I spoke at this weekend I had a few people come up to me and said that they've bought my DVD and have been watching it for a while, but some of the concepts only recently clicked in for them. I'm saying this because there are some people who could sit in the session with Joe, see EVERYTHING he's doing and they still may not "get it". That's why it's in the form it's in. So you can go back and see it as much as you want. There were times when Joe reached to turn and EQ knob and NEVER looked at the knob. He was listening for what he wanted. Not looking for an exact number.

This video series is not (as JCH said) the be all end all of how Joe Barresi works. It a glimpse of how he tracks/records.

You Can't Teach Intuition. You can only teach technique. Intuition comes from doing something over and over and getting good at it. So watch the videos, there's a lot of great info in them.

http://www.groove3.com/str/RB-master-series-II.html

Ask me about Artist Endorsements for A Designs Audio and Pete's Place
3rd March 2011
Old 3rd March 2011
Lives for gear

Top Secret = Axe-FX by Fractal Audio
3rd March 2011
Old 3rd March 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by relaxo View Post
Top Secret = Axe-FX by Fractal Audio
3rd March 2011
Old 3rd March 2011
Gear Head

First of all i wanted to thank the guys who bought the DVD already---I hope you all get something from it--I cant appease every single persons idea of what it is or what it should be---its just me tracking a band that i like and recording a song from the ground up---to film every single second of the process would involve 3 long days of footage to sort thru, and lots of boring video time. The guys at On The Mark Media were great at having cameras around to capture the details that were important and show the signal path i used, the band at work (or play), and the overall intention and vibe of the session. I didnt expect all of you to want to copy my exact settings on every single thing, just like i dont want to copy any one else's presets if i happen to use a piece of gear they also own---rather i use my ears to make the best judgement possible, AND more importantly to make the client (the band) happy and fulfill their wishes. But i do learn a lot by seeing what other people do and how they work, and this DVD provides that. I dont memorize numbers of every piece of gear because not every piece of gear works for me in every situation--my starting point may be consistent, but if the sound isnt right for the part, then anything may replace it--I know this song or this band or the sounds i got wont appeal to everyone out there--the sounds appealed to me and to my clients and im happy with the way it was portrayed and how the song turned out. I hope you feel the same way--Thanks for your time.

And by the way, the secret amp is a totally stock 6505+. I thought it was kinda funny cause you can totally see what it is if you really look---no harm meant, just a failed attempt at humor.

joe barresi
3rd March 2011
Old 3rd March 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Barresi View Post

And by the way, the secret amp is a totally stock 6505+. I thought it was kinda funny cause you can totally see what it is if you really look---no harm meant, just a failed attempt at humor.

joe barresi
nice. i was trying to distract everyone because i thought it may have been a certain amp of eastern bloc origin. they've been my secret for years.

lets's just keep those "secret" hmm...? gentleman's agreement ?

seriously though...what i've seen so far of the video was very cool. been a fan of your work since the kyuss days, joe. qotsa, fu manchu, melvins, and clutch with your signature still provide my soundtrack many days.

you make mean sounding records that feel nice. dark and deep...and yet crystal clear. i dig that. you have away of capturing hard, loud, heavy music in a manner that is a joy to listen to and disappear into....or simply break speed limits on deserted roads at 5 am to.....but i digress.

cool to see a bit into your world. maybe if this video tops the sales charts you can finally pick up some good gear...or at least a few guitar pedals so you have some options.

(this smiley denotes sarcasm folks.)

if you ever need a fellow smart-ass musician/noise wrangler/assistant who lives for drums and guitars that hurt in a good way, songs that make sense, and music with vibe.....someone who has been known to ceremoniously remove, with great force, multiple toms from a drum kit that erroneously has more than two, or hang a singer from the ceiling, or duct tape headphones to a drummer's head to get a good take....as well as being able to align a mean studer, kick an ssl's automation into submission or clean a mean toilet to sparkling glory, all the while holding the frapachinno chugging a&r dude at bay, scouring ebay for cool toys, and smoking a full memphis style rack of ribs....i'm your multitasking, record making, never sleep because it can be better.....dude.

i'm obsessed with making real records...but of late...it seems everyone i come across in my world just wants to know what plug-ins i have. jerks.

i'll work for kit kats or sovtek heads. (oops...sh!@)

all the best,

jchristopherhughes
jmarkham
3rd March 2011
Old 3rd March 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinlover View Post
What?!?!?

read the above post from Joe :-)
3rd March 2011
Old 3rd March 2011
Gear maniac

Dear Joe,

thanks for stepping by!

Your approach and your workflow is what this is about - that's absolutely clear. But it would be nice to dig a little deeper sometimes... Why not give us a short bit of you tweaking a sound?

For me, an instructional DVD is to showcase the artist - in this case you - and to see him do his thing and that - to me - is actually working on the sounds. Even you are not god and just place the microphones, switch on the hardware and tadaa a big kickass sound. Why not let us see you tweak two or three sounds... Let us see you comparing the kick drum mics, tweak them in the fashion you do it, let us hear and understand what you hear
(and/or what your vision is) and provide us with settings in PDF form, so that those who technically want to understand are able to. Of course that's a lot of work, but to me this is an essential part of the tracking.

All in all you guys did a good job and I only stated that I am slightly disappointed... I don't really need settings - I get the bigger picture of this DVD. But someone else might... and that's one thing amongst others that you should offer for 95$ in my opinion!

My 2 cents, as always

Jonny

PS: Basically... I am in the same boat with G-Spot
3rd March 2011
Old 3rd March 2011
Gear addict

This DVD is great. Great job and thanks to Joe; it's pretty cool to feel the vibe and the workflow of someone making such great rock/metal records, that's pretty rare.

I would too like to see detailed settings in a pdf, would be great to see how far Joe push his gear for his sound. Some people tend to boost that piece of gear to get that particular sound, but you can only know this by experience or talking with an experienced people who shows you how to do. It's not that I want to copy the exact settings, but to see the range, get an idea of how much to push this or that board...

just a question about the pt session: are the tracks tweaked or are those the raw tracks coming only from the recording process?
(just to be sure)

In that case, will the mixing pt session be with all the track printed like in the final mix?
(minus the stereo bus chain, from which you could provide some pics of settings to remake our own?)
3rd March 2011
Old 3rd March 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Shepperd View Post
This video series is not (as JCH said) the be all end all of how Joe Barresi works. It a glimpse of how he tracks/records.

You Can't Teach Intuition. You can only teach technique. Intuition comes from doing something over and over and getting good at it. So watch the videos, there's a lot of great info in them.
Tony, people will always complain (even if you give them the settings), because it's easy and for free...
This "settings discussion" is a bit like watching a DVD about Eddie Van Halen and his style of playing and afterwards asking "can I have the amp settings?", hoping they will sound like Eddie, hence totally missing the point...

The problem is that when someone looks at the cover of this kind of DVDs, they have a projection in their heads that it was done the way they wished... in a way that all their questions will be answered, and that finally they will be able to achieve the same level of the guys featuring in the DVD They forget however that it takes years & ears to be someone like Barresi.
As you said Tony, there are guys that "don't get it" even if they were there.

My remark had only to do with the approach. I thought I would see the "technical decision making procees" (like vocal mic shoutout), that's all. But I soon understood the concept of this DVD. I dig Joe's attitude (and humour) throughout the DVD.

The DVD is an inspiration and I encourage all to get it thumbsup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Barresi View Post

joe barresi
I knew it! "Every eng. has is secret weapons, go find your secret weapons" thumbsup It was not a failed attempt.
jmarkham
3rd March 2011
Old 3rd March 2011
Lives for gear

Hi All,
Thanks for your comments. I'm working on seeing how we can address
your requests for more content.
We're also readying an iPad/iPhone4 version of the material .. so you
can take it on the go.
Jeff
jmarkham
4th March 2011
Old 4th March 2011
Lives for gear

Hi All,
Two updates .. we've taken your input very seriously and
will be providing addendum material to cover the topics you
have requested. We'll get it up there as soon as we can.
For those of you who have already purchased it, the additional
material will be provided on your download page. We'll send
an email announcement when it's available.
Also, several people requested iPad/iPhone version of the material.
They are now available. If you revisit your download page, the link
will be near the top of the page.

Thanks for you support and thanks for the thoughtful feedback.

Jeff
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search