Old 11th March 2011
Lives for gear

Er... unless I'm missing a point, 100% wet presets are fine. That is, I am quite willing to adjust a dry/wet slider myself if I use it as an insert, it seems the product will be well worth such an excruciating effort. Or do you mean the insert presets would actually differ from the send ones ?

Breeze has a smart way to deal with this : presets are made for insert, with various dry/wet percentage embedded. But you got a "lock" function to freeze that at any setting while browsing, hence the possibility to use them either in send or insert configuration. Very, very well thought. But I reckon I read your feature set and GUI is not to be modified at all anymore, or ... ? Pleease ?

List me as a buyer anyhow, and thanks for all the efforts and admirable commercial attitude.
Old 11th March 2011
ValhallaDSP

From the minimalist standpoint, a single folder of 100% wet presets is starting to seem better. If people want to use these as inserts, only a single slider swipe is needed (for the wet/dry mix). The mix level lock in Breeze is nice, but it would involve some GUI reworking and preset code rewriting, and it is too late in the process for that. Plus, I like having a single control there, instead of 2.

Another issue with the Inserts folder: Anyone who uses these will adjust the mix control to their own tastes, so might as well just supply 100% wet presets, and let the user save inserts to their own preset folder, or the project, or whatever.

I started working on some plate sounds tonight. To my ears, they sound nice, but I don't have a good set of sonic references. Does anyone know of any publicly available EMT140 impulse responses for calibrating my presets? Obviously, they will only be "plate-esque," but I am trying to match the average modal density of a steel plate reverberator, which is around 1.17 per Hz.
Old 11th March 2011
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by seancostello View Post
From the minimalist standpoint, a single folder of 100% wet presets is starting to seem better. If people want to use these as inserts, only a single slider swipe is needed (for the wet/dry mix).
Is the wet/dry balance very important to have recallable from a preset?
How about defaulting to 100% initial wet and always locking the slider on a preset load? That way your presets will always work in the (100% wet) send scenario, and the insert scenario would require a possibly minor change to the balance instead of a most likely drastic change.
Old 11th March 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
(...)only a single slider swipe is needed (for the wet/dry mix).
The amount of calorie expenditure needed for that is rather acceptable, even with a Microsoft mouse, ain't it ?

Quote:
(...)The mix level lock in Breeze is nice, but it would involve some GUI reworking and preset code rewriting, and it is too late in the process for that. Plus, I like having a single control there, instead of 2.
Understood. Buuut... in Breeze, it's just sooo little a tiny, minuscule lock switch... See, we got tons of plate settings for everything and none is blatantly better than UAD's anyway. Why, oh why for Bob Katz's sake not spend the extra effort on this beloved switch ? Ah, well. Sorry, couldn't help trying. Thanx anyhow, looking forward to buy it.
Old 11th March 2011
Quote:
Does anyone know of any publicly available EMT140 impulse responses for calibrating my presets? Obviously, they will only be "plate-esque," but I am trying to match the average modal density of a steel plate reverberator, which is around 1.17 per Hz.
Pm'd you. 100% wet please.
Old 11th March 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
From the minimalist standpoint, a single folder of 100% wet presets is starting to seem better. If people want to use these as inserts, only a single slider swipe is needed (for the wet/dry mix). The mix level lock in Breeze is nice, but it would involve some GUI reworking and preset code rewriting, and it is too late in the process for that. Plus, I like having a single control there, instead of 2.

Another issue with the Inserts folder: Anyone who uses these will adjust the mix control to their own tastes, so might as well just supply 100% wet presets, and let the user save inserts to their own preset folder, or the project, or whatever.

I started working on some plate sounds tonight. To my ears, they sound nice, but I don't have a good set of sonic references. Does anyone know of any publicly available EMT140 impulse responses for calibrating my presets? Obviously, they will only be "plate-esque," but I am trying to match the average modal density of a steel plate reverberator, which is around 1.17 per Hz.
Probably the free nebula ones. People seem to like those.
Old 11th March 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Washington View Post
The amount of calorie expenditure needed for that is rather acceptable, even with a Microsoft mouse, ain't it ?

Understood. Buuut... in Breeze, it's just sooo little a tiny, minuscule lock switch... See, we got tons of plate settings for everything and none is blatantly better than UAD's anyway. Why, oh why for Bob Katz's sake not spend the extra effort on this beloved switch ? Ah, well. Sorry, couldn't help trying. Thanx anyhow, looking forward to buy it.
Why not just click on the control itself to lock it (ala Aether)
Old 11th March 2011
Gear maniac

What do you think of some sort of weighted wet/dry slider? I tend to either have these sliders on 100% or I'm messing about between 5 and 10%. I don't think I've ever used between 50 and 100. Could the slider be weighted to the more useful end? Or is it just me?!
Old 11th March 2011
ValhallaDSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beechwood View Post
What do you think of some sort of weighted wet/dry slider? I tend to either have these sliders on 100% or I'm messing about between 5 and 10%. I don't think I've ever used between 50 and 100. Could the slider be weighted to the more useful end? Or is it just me?!
That's just you.

The wet/dry slider uses a sine/cosine panning law, so it will have equal perceived volume over the entire range, assuming that the filtering isn't too extreme on the wet signal.

The Early section always has an output gain of 0 dB, while the Late section has a gain of 0 dB over pretty much the entire decay range. I was testing this yesterday with pink noise, and fixed one of the reverb modes that was about -3dB down. The Depth slider uses the same sine/cosine panning law to ensure a consistent volume.

And you're going to want to turn ValhallaRoom WAY up. Tonight we're going to party like it's 1984!

Seriously, though, my goal with ValhallaRoom is to get some nice natural room sounds for drums. The 1980's gated sounds, and the big lush ambient sounds, are just simple extensions of the "natural" range.
Old 11th March 2011
Gear addict

Would it be useful for the invisible vocal reverbs ? You know the kind of reverb where I can move vocals really upfront and yet feel somewhat massive cathedral somewhere behind. I know it can be done with pre-delays, diffusion, tails etc… but this is so time consuming…
Old 11th March 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Beast View Post
Would it be useful for the invisible vocal reverbs ? You know the kind of reverb where I can move vocals really upfront and yet feel somewhat massive cathedral somewhere behind. I know it can be done with pre-delays, diffusion, tails etc… but this is so time consuming…
I just did this with Shimmer on my latest session! Worked beautifully.
Massive Cathedral= ValhallaShimmer.
Old 11th March 2011
ValhallaDSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Beast View Post
Would it be useful for the invisible vocal reverbs ?

With the mix set at 0%, the reverbs are invisible and colorless.

Quote:
You know the kind of reverb where I can move vocals really upfront and yet feel somewhat massive cathedral somewhere behind. I know it can be done with pre-delays, diffusion, tails etc… but this is so time consuming…
By cascading the Early section into the Late section, and adjusting the Early size, you can "soften" the attack of the Late reverb to a large degree. I was just playing with some longer vocal hall presets, using the Large Chamber algorithm to get a long decay that is spacious without implying a particular space. Tweaking the Decay slider can turn a hall into a cathedral quite easily. Adjusting the Late Cross control can create a very spacious stereo image.

So, I'm gonna say yes. In a few days, you can download the demo and see if it is useful for what you want to do.

(I have "SlowAttackCathedral" playing in the headphones as I type this...)
Old 12th March 2011
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

The demos sound ridiculously good. 80's gated reverb and mention of a EMT140 preset is awesome. Hard not to be exited about this.
Old 13th March 2011
ValhallaDSP

Working on presets today. Here's a question for y'all: What are your favorite presets on your favorite reverbs? I know that people talk about things like Tiled Room on the PCM70, but what other presets are popular?
Old 13th March 2011
Lives for gear

This is not a specific preset from specific machine, but...

Series of presets that are great at:

1) short
2) not being obvious reverb/rooms when mixed low
3) inflate the sound in space while leaving its dry sound character intact

The purpose is to make narrow (mono) files sound like they are in space and are bigger and smoother than they were before. But still rather intact and if you didn't know better they sound almost dry.

Lexicon PCM native room can do that.
Sampled lexicon PCM70 small room in free nebula does that too.
Old 13th March 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Working on presets today. Here's a question for y'all: What are your favorite presets on your favorite reverbs? I know that people talk about things like Tiled Room on the PCM70, but what other presets are popular?
Bricasti studio A and B (close and far) are phenomenal....
Old 13th March 2011
Gear addict

In Wizoo’s W5 Vocal Cathedral HDIR is really impressive.

I work a lot in different studios and as such have access to just about any hardware or software reverbs but whenever I have to create something for fingerpicking guitars and vocals I resort to using IR of real spaces. Somehow, it always gives me more intimate and natural results. In other words, when I mentioned in my previous message “invisible reverbs” I meant intimate and natural (not necessarily realistic) in which effect enhances the sound but doesn’t call attention to itself.
Old 13th March 2011
TNM
Lives for gear

what about an option like in breverb, RP verb and aar, to ignore wet/dry on preset load.?

I personally don;t see the big deal about having a second folder for insert presets. Thos objectionable to that are being silly, really. That's not clutter at all.
Old 13th March 2011
ValhallaDSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNM View Post
what about an option like in breverb, RP verb and aar, to ignore wet/dry on preset load.?

I personally don;t see the big deal about having a second folder for insert presets. Thos objectionable to that are being silly, really. That's not clutter at all.
I currently have several preset folders (Ambiences/Halls/Rooms/that sort of thing), all 100% wet. Each one is a single mouse sweep away from being whatever insert level you want. I tried Send/Insert folders, and it didn't work nearly as well.
Old 13th March 2011
TNM
Lives for gear

Smile

ok. i'll still buy it cause the price is insane for the demo quality i heard.

actually, i am getting quite anxious over this one, haven't been excited about a reverb plugin since the lex, i just can't wait to demo this!
Old 13th March 2011
Gear addict

Quote:
I always liked the "music club" room preset on the Lex 480L. It's a great room sound for rock & roll.

I am looking forward to hearing this product!
Old 13th March 2011
Gear maniac

I loved "rich chamber" in my old pcm70 but not sure if that was a standard preset or one made by the previous owner. I made several CDs with just that reverb, it was awesome.

Is ValhallRoom capable of doing reverse verbs?
Old 13th March 2011
Talio

I like some presets from the Lexicon 480L. If I recall correctly these are the names:

Jazz R Hall
Large Room R
Medium Room R
Music Club
Small Chamber R

Cheers
Old 13th March 2011
ValhallaDSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxy View Post
I loved "rich chamber" in my old pcm70 but not sure if that was a standard preset or one made by the previous owner. I made several CDs with just that reverb, it was awesome.
It looks like Rich Chamber was one of the v2 presets. I don't have a PCM70, but I have some impulses. By starting from the parameter values listed in the 224XL manual for the Rich Chamber (the 1st "variant" for that ancient box), and by using the LargeChamber algorithm in ValhallaRoom, I've managed to get pretty close. The ValhallaRoom version has less periodic patterning in the tail than the PCM70 version, but I'm not going to try to reproduce that - I like the smoother sound I am getting from Room.

Quote:
Not in the initial release. It can do gated reverbs, but not full on MBV reverse stuff.
Old 13th March 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
The TC Electronic Vintage Snare Room 2 is one of my favourtites. It's in the M6000 and the M3000. There is an impulse from the M6000 available out there.
Old 13th March 2011
Gear maniac

Quote:
It looks like Rich Chamber was one of the v2 presets. I don't have a PCM70, but I have some impulses. By starting from the parameter values listed in the 224XL manual for the Rich Chamber (the 1st "variant" for that ancient box), and by using the LargeChamber algorithm in ValhallaRoom, I've managed to get pretty close. The ValhallaRoom version has less periodic patterning in the tail than the PCM70 version, but I'm not going to try to reproduce that - I like the smoother sound I am getting from Room. .
Wow! Dude , you rock ! Can't wait to play with this!
Old 13th March 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxy View Post

Not sure but this can.

ValhallaShimmer Tips and Tricks: Bloom « The Halls of Valhalla
Old 13th March 2011
Gear addict

What do you think about mastering presets?... For “glue” and “body”?... I never used those and have no idea how it is normally done but heard that Bob Ludwig (and some other sonic dignitaries) is a very avid user of reverbs in mastering sessions.
Old 13th March 2011
Lives for gear

Just noticed this thread and have been reading through it, i'm no reverb expert i use logic with Overloud Breverb and UA Plate 140.

Will this reverb be better quality than the two i've got ? Maybe some beta testers can answer this, i do understand at $50 you can't expect game changers.
Old 13th March 2011
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cane creek View Post
...i do understand at $50 you can't expect game changers.
Oh, I don't know...I would consider 'Shimmer' a pretty unique tool DESPITE the price ;-) That is to say, 'game changers' can come in every flavor from free on up. Some of the biggest game changers in my arsenal are 'free' so you just never know, putting a price on creativity and individual expression (including here software dsp designers like Sean) is not a 'standardized' thing in my experience.

btw, I am a good candidate to buy this and have Breverb, Aether, Breeze, Altiverb, and quite a few others so will let you know :D
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search