Kemper Profiling Amplifier
Old 19th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by feck View Post
Dublin and Toronto...2 killer cities man! Nice.
They are indeed...really complimenting one another nicely! Great launch pads, too! Since Toronto has come about, I've started spending a fair bit of time in Chicago, too. Fine city, my friend...has it all! NYC, Chi-town, Boston and San Fran...cream of the crop!
Old 19th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Ha, we were just at Gene and Georgetti's last month! Great spot. For sure, hit me up if you are coming through town. Here is another clip of the KPA doing the Orangutan nasty crunch....talk about a badass sound!
Dayum...plenty of meat with them potatoes...VERY nice, mate!

Question: Do you use any pedals at all? Have you tried putting some in front of the KPA after modelling to feel/hear any differences...subtle, or not?
Old 19th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realtugs View Post
Dayum...plenty of meat with them potatoes...VERY nice, mate!

Question: Do you use any pedals at all? Have you tried putting some in front of the KPA after modelling to feel/hear any differences...subtle, or not?
I am not really a pedal guy, I haven't done any experimenting in that regard. Would be worth trying though, for sure.
Old 19th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
I am not really a pedal guy, I haven't done any experimenting in that regard. Would be worth trying though, for sure.
Yeah...I'm very curious in that regard. Have a couple I dig...and wonder would they magnify any subtleties in the differences between amp and profile?

One part of me thinks that if you get within 98.26345% () of an amp...all should be well, but...given the gain structures involved...just curious.
Old 19th February 2012
Lives for gear

Old 19th February 2012
Lives for gear

I don't think so,
The kemper seems to have crazy potential, but we'll see how it stax up when compared directly with an axe fx...

Afterall, it is profiling a real amp which is great, but it's still digital afterall,

Time will tell
Old 19th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by laddie.music2 View Post
I don't think so,
The kemper seems to have crazy potential, but we'll see how it stax up when compared directly with an axe fx...

Afterall, it is profiling a real amp which is great, but it's still digital afterall,

Time will tell
They really are such different tools. From the aesthetic, to the design implementation, to the interface, they are really on two different sides of the spectrum. I can say, having owned the AxeFX, the KPA is a better fit for me. I love the layout, the look, the ergonomics of it, and definitely the do-it-yourself approach to profiling. I am very lucky to have a pretty sick amp collection, so being able to copy my EXACT amps and sounds is paramount to my workflow. I don't see a need or value in saying one is inherently better than the other, but I can say that in my experience, the KPA is more similar to a real amp than the Axe, which is almost surreal in it's tweakability. To use a silly metaphor, the KPA is nonfiction, the Axe is science fiction.
Old 19th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yeah...I'm very curious in that regard. Have a couple I dig...and wonder would they magnify any subtleties in the differences between amp and profile?

One part of me thinks that if you get within 98.26345% () of an amp...all should be well, but...given the gain structures involved...just curious.
Sure, experimenting is half the fun!
Old 19th February 2012
Lives for gear

Queue fanboys...

Windows . . . Apple
KPA . . . . . . Axe
Hagar . . . . . Roth
Chocolate. . . Vanilla
Up . . . . . . . Down
No . . . . . . . Yes
Tits . . . . . . Ass
Greek . . . . . Missionary ()

Whatevs...all of the above please!
Old 19th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
I don't think so,

Time will tell
In as much as sounding like a real tube amp the kemper has it beat imo. Feck's clips,especially that last dirty clean one, are something i have never heard convincingly from axefx.
Old 19th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Sure, experimenting is half the fun!
Always led me to my favourite places!

Any A:B's, feck? Possible to do? Do you have the capabilities to record both simultaneously...NO anamod...or BOTH anamod?
Old 19th February 2012
Lives for gear

To me on owning an axe fx now the Kemper, both have strengths. But in regards to pure realistic sound of a mics up cab I think Kemper is where it's at. All crazy possibilities and non real or authentic guitar stuff? Then axe fx. I see Kemper winning out studio guys in pure sound and realistic representation. I also see kemper fitting into mixes better It doesn't sound digital to me. It's pretty amazing. When I a/b'd my real mics up amp and the Kemper profile it was pretty much identical, not like oh this one sounds fake and this doesn't. It would be hard pressed to pick out which was the Kemper.
Old 19th February 2012
Lives for gear

Not to mention some of the tweakin and things one needs to make the axe fx sound better and more convincing. 3rd party IR's. Changing this and then that. Then a new update comes and you have to change everything again. Haha
Old 19th February 2012
Lives for gear

Feck, GODDAMN!!!I'm so psyched to get my Kemper!! That amp sounds amazing BTW. Would you consider posting those rigs? **** that sounds good!
Old 19th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaDingo View Post
Feck, GODDAMN!!!I'm so psyched to get my Kemper!! That amp sounds amazing BTW. Would you consider posting those rigs? **** that sounds good!
He already did ;-). It's in my Kemper already
Old 19th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Energie View Post
He already did ;-). It's in my Kemper already
Hahahahahahahaha!!!!

And your 5150 is in his! What a ball! Great stuff!
Old 19th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hahahahahahahaha!!!!

And your 5150 is in his! What a ball! Great stuff!
Yes super cool and can't wait to see what all poeple share Right now there are a few ones I think are stellar
Old 19th February 2012
ajs
Gear maniac

Old 19th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yes super cool and can't wait to see what all poeple share Right now there are a few ones I think are stellar
Jumping in soon, brother! I will participate!

Couple guys I'm going to sabotage with excessive drink, or flights out of town, too!
Old 19th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Always led me to my favourite places!

Any A:B's, feck? Possible to do? Do you have the capabilities to record both simultaneously...NO anamod...or BOTH anamod?
Sure, I will do some A/B files. Both Anamod since the Kemper is going through it for all DAW recording.
Old 19th February 2012
Some rules ive found with profiling, first it really doesn't do farfield mixing well, the closer the mic to the grill then the more accurate the profile will be. Next refining will get the profile more or less identical... For a particular riff only. Like logic's match EQ it really only matches with the last portion of what was played, averaging reducing the weight of all that went before it. So chords = reduced fidelity and dynamics, lead= loss of bass and low end definition, dynamic/quiet = flat dead and mids pushed amp at normal full volume. There's not much way to get a profile that does all three in one identically to the original amp.
Old 19th February 2012
Lives for gear

It's for that reason that digital amps need so much attention in either tweaking a particular patch, loading different patches per section of song, and then incredible ammounts of processing in post mixing.

I highly doubt we'll see or hear truly great classic rock with any digital amp.

still can't wait to share profiles, to me it's more like trading basketball cards....

But i'll always take a ball and drive to the nearest court when I want to play a real game.
Old 19th February 2012
Lives for gear

you'll see what i mean when Feck posts his clips ;-) from his 3 monks (incredible i know these amps well)
Old 19th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
To me on owning an axe fx now the Kemper, both have strengths. But in regards to pure realistic sound of a mics up cab I think Kemper is where it's at. All crazy possibilities and non real or authentic guitar stuff? Then axe fx. I see Kemper winning out studio guys in pure sound and realistic representation. I also see kemper fitting into mixes better It doesn't sound digital to me. It's pretty amazing. When I a/b'd my real mics up amp and the Kemper profile it was pretty much identical, not like oh this one sounds fake and this doesn't. It would be hard pressed to pick out which was the Kemper.
Just to clarify, did you mean Axe FX II with their latest modelling technology, or are you comparing Kemper to the original one before Ultra?
Old 19th February 2012
Quote:
It's for that reason that digital amps need so much attention in either tweaking a particular patch, loading different patches per section of song, and then incredible ammounts of processing in post mixing.

I highly doubt we'll see or hear truly great classic rock with any digital amp.

still can't wait to share profiles, to me it's more like trading basketball cards....

But i'll always take a ball and drive to the nearest court when I want to play a real game.
That's an erroneous assumption, you don't need any more tweaking and certainly no more processing when recording than with a real amp. All I'm, saying is that profiling itself isn't perfect at matching the source, not that the result is unusable.
Old 19th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by beau_mckee View Post
Just to clarify, did you mean Axe FX II with their latest modelling technology, or are you comparing Kemper to the original one before Ultra?
My use with The First Axe, and based off of all the clips I have heard, which are a ton, from the Axe II. They sound great, but still not like a living breathing amp. But thats just my opinion.
Old 20th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
My use with The First Axe, and based off of all the clips I have heard, which are a ton, from the Axe II. They sound great, but still not like a living breathing amp. But thats just my opinion.
I'm just so torn between Axe II and the Kemper. I feel right now the Kemper sounds better, but fractal could easily release a new update that rocks the kemper's world, it's just a tough decision to make
Old 20th February 2012
Lives for gear

Old 20th February 2012
Gear maniac

One is slightly brighter than the other to my ears which based on my experience so far says it's the Kemper but it still sounds so close that it's negligable. In fact, I liked it with a little more shine on it.
Old 20th February 2012
Lives for gear

I went to the sharing forum for profiles, but i only see a handful from a guy named Tony McKenzie. Am i looking the wrong area?
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search