Neve Sidecar
New Reply
Subscribe
Steve Honest
29th November 2010
Old 29th November 2010
Lives for gear

Neve Sidecar

Never squeeze the tea bag just chase it round the cup.
3rd December 2010
Old 3rd December 2010
Gear interested

Neve Sidecar

It is a neat product. But personally I would look for a 36 channel VR.

But that's my way of thinking. Why buy half of something when you can spend a little more and get the whole thing.
3rd December 2010
Old 3rd December 2010
Lives for gear

Not so sure about the ergonomic side of this console.
You're most likely going to have to stand up to reach the knobs at the top.
Wouldn't want to be doing that for talkback, master volume, etc.
Not quite the ideal footprint for me if I wanted a sidecar.

VRs can sound very very good, but I think the point of having the VR is to gain the functionality of a large console. Sidecar for me is specifically for the sake of its sound (the usefulness of having 16 channels or so of great pres and eqs in a small footprint), and I'm not sure the VR would be the sonic nirvana people will be after.

I'd agree with TyeFitz and go for the whole thing if the VR's what you're going to go for (maintenance nightmare though. it was so damned expensive to replace all the caps and other parts on the VX console where I used to work that they eventually gave up and bought a Genesys. VX has remained in storage for the last 4 years or so).
Steve Honest
3rd December 2010
Old 3rd December 2010
Lives for gear

PLus

the guy there micheal is a bit difficult, he has already put me off buying from him.
steve
3rd December 2010
Old 3rd December 2010
Lives for gear

Ha, that was quick!
Why don't you give SAE one more chance and give them a call?
3rd December 2010
Old 3rd December 2010
Lives for gear

Or Tree Audio would be pretty cool for you, especially because you love those Neve style modules you're using.
Have 14-16 channels of them in there, and maybe the Chandler Little Devil EQ and you've got yourself one great console.

Or if it's purely as a sidecar, how about the little Pete's place console?
3rd December 2010
Old 3rd December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Honest View Post
the guy there micheal is a bit difficult, he has already put me off buying from him.
steve
Did he call you twice in one day?
Steve Honest
4th December 2010
Old 4th December 2010
Lives for gear

Strangley

he did, to hurl abuse.
steve
Steve Honest
5th December 2010
Old 5th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbjp View Post
Or Tree Audio would be pretty cool for you, especially because you love those Neve style modules you're using.
Have 14-16 channels of them in there, and maybe the Chandler Little Devil EQ and you've got yourself one great console.

Or if it's purely as a sidecar, how about the little Pete's place console?
HI there
the petes place , wont work as it has no centre section, and i like to have 2 buss inserts and talk back and so forth, , tree audio nic , but pricey for what you get,, a full size vr? think of the power bills to run it, and also the heat, there is a nice small neve 66 at FJ that may work , and its a lot less money , but does the 66 have the Neve sound? what ever that may happen to be
steve
7th December 2010
Old 7th December 2010
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to slaves666
I emailed a used console vendor not too long ago to enquire about a price and he didn't respond for 2 weeks, then calls me, leaves a message and asks to be called back.

DUDE, if I wanted to talk to you I would've called....

now post the prices of consoles on your page you idiot.
17th December 2010
Old 17th December 2010
Gear Head

I was asked if I had heard of Steve Honest, and I hadn't.
The two guys who designed and built the Mini Master Neve hadn't either.

I then found out that Steve Honest claimed to know all three of us.....

Always remember that when reading a post, particularly about a dealer, that it is a one-sided view.

There are very few dealers in the world that I have anything to do with, and Michael at Aesproaudio is one of them.

Here's a quick dealer checklist. Run down this before you pick up the phone:

1. Does the guy own the gear he is selling, or is he just a broker?
2. Is he happy for you inspect the gear, with a tech of your choice?
3. Is the gear being sorted by a known good tech?
4. Will the dealer be happy for you to discuss the gear with his tech?
5. Do you have any money, or are you wasting the dealer's time? Remember-they have been doing it for years, and can spot a dreamer a mile off. Also bear in mind that the music business is very small and incestuous, and a deluded or abusive customer is known to every dealer and tech inside a month, so he has nothing to gain whatsoever by not being professional.
This, of course, also holds true for the dealer!
Steve Honest
26th December 2010
Old 26th December 2010
Lives for gear

HI Blakey

I have deleted my original post,
pointless discussion, Blakey must get a bit of work of this bloke so he has to stick up for him, and also i will need more neve gear serviced in the future, no sense in falling out with one of the best neve guys over some Rouge Dealer.

steve

Last edited by Steve Honest; 26th December 2010 at 10:52 PM.. Reason: Detant
8th September 2011
Old 8th September 2011
Gear nut

Mini V

Hi Guys,

I thought I would chirp in here being the first buyer of the above console (the Mini-V).

Firstly I would like to point out that this is NOT a sidecar, far from it. Although you are excused as I made the original call thinking the very same thing.

What CML have managed to do is (with the help of a couple of very well respected Neve service folk) build a complete centre section that retains the logic switching and many other of the features you loose on a VR the second you remove a channel and rack-mount it.

It is in fact designed to function, as you said, as a fully working console.

We too toyed with the idea of spending the extra £10k or so and getting a VR36 but it's not just a larger desk you are getting. The power consumption, heat generation and servicing costs go through the roof.

With regards to the ergonomics of the desk, we wanted to change a few details on the Mini-V to suit our way of working better and the design team had no problem what so ever. In fact, we ordered ours with an extra bay either side to rack-mount our patch bays and outboard and an additional set of 12 VU's to monitor the tape returns.

This will give us the 12 VR channels to track through plus our 4 1073's racked up right in there. 16 channels of Neve Pre with 2 types of flavour.

It also means in mix mode we get 24channels to bus through from Protools.

We have even got a Neve 8816 summing mixer to mount to use as 16 effects returns... This is then routed to the master bus giving us a very flexible system indeed.

The desk has been in production for a couple of months now and both Micheal and the Production team have been nothing but helpful with any tweaks/changes we have had. They are a real pro outfit and know exactly what they are on about when it comes to the design of the console.

I would finally like to add a word or two of defense for Micheal, in dealing with him I have not once felt like he was being awkward. Far from it. I think some people confuse going straight to the point as being short at times.

The other thing to remember is this industry contains a lot of dreamers. Now I'm not suggesting for one second that that applies to anyone on this thread, just that for someone like Micheal who deals at the very top end of the market selling what is possibly a studios largest financial commitment, he is bound to get tired of endless emails from people 'inquiring' about a Neve or SSL.

Inquiring and actually being serious about it are two very different things. We all own and run studios, we have all had our share of dreamers wasting our time with endless questions and emails only to never be heard from again.

We were serious about buying a console and were treated as such. I couldn't be happier with the service so far... and don't worry, if that changes at any point I would be the first to let you all know.

In the meantime, I will await the delivery of our new console and be sure to make a full review with plenty of pictures once it has been delivered and installed.

Anyone wishing to come and see the console for evaluation purposes would be more than welcome.

Best regards folks,

M
Steve Honest
10th September 2011
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear

thanks

hi there
thank you for updating us , on what i am sure must be a really nice desk.

The issue of Michael and his attitude is not unique to me, but im just reporting my experience of him, and having looked at his website today, its ret to see he finally updated his website.
i ended up buying a small Neve From Funky Junk, should have just stuck with hem in the first place, they have always been great for me.
best of luck with the desk
steve
10th September 2011
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by blivetaudio View Post
s.

The other thing to remember is this industry contains a lot of dreamers. Now I'm not suggesting for one second that that applies to anyone on this thread, just that for someone like Micheal who deals at the very top end of the market selling what is possibly a studios largest financial commitment, he is bound to get tired of endless emails from people 'inquiring' about a Neve or SSL.

Inquiring and actually being serious about it are two very different things. We all own and run studios, we have all had our share of dreamers wasting our time with endless questions and emails only to never be heard from again.
The trouble here is that attitude just makes you look like a snobby a-hole who only wants to deal with people with the right suit on. You never know who the real buyers are. If he has trouble dealing with people, he should hire someone else to deal with that side.

I walked in a car dealer once with £20K cash to buy a car, because I looked all scruffy..no-one bothered to come up and help and I was met with tired disdain from my questions..I walked straight out and bought my car elsewhere..
10th September 2011
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear

Nice looking thing!
Steve Honest
10th September 2011
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear

good point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Station View Post
The trouble here is that attitude just makes you look like a snobby a-hole who only wants to deal with people with the right suit on. You never know who the real buyers are. If he has trouble dealing with people, he should hire someone else to deal with that side.

I walked in car dealer once with £20K cash to buy a car, because I looked all scruffy..no-one bothered to come up and help and I was met with tired disdain from my questions..I walked straight out and bought my car elsewhere..
Good point , well made , does anybody remeber the cardboard cutout at teh Riot house (hyatt on sunset ) IN LA , with the scruffy guy and he may have just sold a million records?
steve
10th September 2011
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Station View Post

I walked in car dealer once with £20K cash to buy a car, because I looked all scruffy..no-one bothered to come up and help and I was met with tired disdain from my questions..I walked straight out and bought my car elsewhere..
Yep, in my gear pimp days guys like this made me money!
These old line guys used to put off the guy who did not fit their idea of a customer. It was always fun to call the manufacture explaining I had this client who after being put off by their exclusive dealer would either buy from me or something else, so did they want the sale? Because I could think of at least 10 others that did!

I have seen way to many people who didn't fit some idea of what the customer should be spend a small fortune!

I feel like I should make the pissed smiley my Avitar

Eric Nelson
6th October 2011
Old 6th October 2011
Gear nut

I see what your saying guys, I too have been on the challenging end of a snobby car sales man and I too took my business elsewhere.

I never intended to come across snobby, if you could see me in person you'd see what I meant. I am no suit-wearing, smooth-talking flasher.

For the record, I never felt judged one bit whilst speaking to Micheal or any of his team.

Quite the opposite. I have come from very humble backgrounds when it comes to the studio (I am upgrading from a Soundcraft) and as such am a real first timer when it comes to a desk of this calibre. Yet I have been met with not one jot of snobbery or 'looking-down-of-the-nosery' whilst continually bombarding the guys with questions and spec-change requests.

So, I hope that clears that up. It's a real shame to dedicate a whole thread to what an 'a-hole' people suspect someone to be. We are engineers man, not psychologists.

I'll post a heavy review of the desk when we take delivery in a month or two (I have requested a great deal of custom options, hence the build time). Then people can judge the product, the ways it's meant to be.

Peace guys.

M
6th October 2011
Old 6th October 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaves666 View Post
I emailed a used console vendor not too long ago to enquire about a price and he didn't respond for 2 weeks, then calls me, leaves a message and asks to be called back.

Ahhh.. AES. There's a reason why they dont post their prices on their page. Remember, these are the guys that were asking 32k for a 16 channel ssl sidecar.
8th October 2011
Old 8th October 2011
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to slaves666
Quote:

someone reported my post, awesome....considering this wasn't directed at anyone on gearslutz, and is almost 1 year old.....I have no idea WTF is going on....

anyways....the website in question was not AES, it was a 3rd party vintage gear re-seller.....and they still don't post prices or pics of their consoles I am interested in. tutt
8th October 2011
Old 8th October 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
it was a 3rd party vintage gear re-seller.....and they still don't post prices or pics of their consoles I am interested in. tutt
Allow me to explain: they are old guys.

Nobody who is young would do this.

It's a generational thing.

You gotta call that type of person on the phone. Just the way it is, sorry.

- c
17th November 2011
Old 17th November 2011
Gear interested

As a brief introduction, I am one of the designers of the Mini-V Sidecar.

Picking-up on the ergonomics point raised earlier:

What is presented is the most cost-effective way of packaging the unit’s facilities into the space available. There is no doubt that the Neve modules are l-o-n-g, but to house the electronics in a remote box connected to the mini console via an umbilical cable would add a significant amount of cost to the product - we investigated this idea. We also looked at fitting only 8 or 10 modules into the console bucket and installing the MiniMaster panel (same facilities, different layout) in the remaining space, but this was viewed as sacrificing channel facilities by the loss of modules.

If you have a second bucket, you can fill it with patch and outboard and move the MiniMaster panel to a more convenient place in front of you. The rotary master level controls can be bypassed and slide faders can be fitted in the fader bed. These are standard options and part of the system design.
A third bucket allows yet more outboard gear, or additional channels - a 24 channel Mini-V.

Talkback activation is on a connector on the back of the console, so you can have your TB switch anywhere convenient.

Master volume (as well as various of the facilities) can be remote controlled.

Regards,

Gareth.
Steve Honest
17th November 2011
Old 17th November 2011
Lives for gear

HI

Hi Gareth
wishing you all the best, with what looks like an amazing product
steve
24th May 2013
Old 24th May 2013
Gear interested

Continuing from my last post on the MiniMaster, we have continued to develop the product. The CML Audio website has some photos of a 3-bucket 24-channel desk with the MiniMaster panel and a separate monitor & master fader panel. The web address is this:

Refurbished Vintage Analogue Consoles For Sale - CML Audio

Regards,

Gareth.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search