Login / Register

Shadow Hills Oculus
New Reply
Subscribe
7th November 2010
Old 7th November 2010
Gear nut

More info please! Digital inputs? S/PDIF? Toslink? Looks like it's probably connected to a breakout box/power supply. C'mon Peter, need some info!
7th November 2010
Old 7th November 2010
Lives for gear

Shadow Hills Oculus

Quote:
Originally Posted by myHero
More info please! Digital inputs? S/PDIF? Toslink? Looks like it's probably connected to a breakout box/power supply. C'mon Peter, need some info!
It's not even Monday! Let the man get home first.
7th November 2010
Old 7th November 2010
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcocet View Post
It's not even Monday! Let the man get home first.
We gearslutz are a very impatient bunch.
7th November 2010
Old 7th November 2010
Lives for gear

Shadow Hills Oculus

hurry! details, price...
8th November 2010
Old 8th November 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddierodriguez View Post
hurry! details, price...
8th November 2010
Old 8th November 2010
Gear addict

Around $1800usd...April-May next year...???
8th November 2010
Old 8th November 2010
Lives for gear

Shadow Hills Oculus

what's it exactly? i'm looking for a better alternative to the cranesong avocet.
9th November 2010
Old 9th November 2010
Lives for gear

I can't remember all the details....but...It is a monitor controller. That picture just shows the remote...and doesn't do it justice by the way. The remote is MUCH more impressive in person. There's a 2u rack unit that it controls. The rack unit can be used without the remote, but with limited functionality. I can't tell you with WHAT functionality because the rack unit wasn't complete...they apparently hadn't finished it in time for the show, so the front panel controls were missing. It has analog and digital inputs, although I can't remember the exact configuration. It has controls for multiple monitors and a sub, and you can mute them individually. It has a talkback. It has a mono switch. I'm sure it will sound great....but I can't wait to get my hands on it. I'll be reviewing it for TapeOp as soon as they ship me one. Again....this beast looks AMAZING in person. I heard $1,700...but that's just what I think I remember. That puts it in line with the Cranesong.

Kirt Shearer
9th November 2010
Old 9th November 2010
Gear nut

Thanks Kirt. That's the first real info I've heard on it. Sounds perfect for my setup. Guess I better start saving!
9th November 2010
Old 9th November 2010
Gear interested

Shadow Hills Oculus

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbshearer
I can't remember all the details....but...It is a monitor controller. That picture just shows the remote...and doesn't do it justice by the way. The remote is MUCH more impressive in person. There's a 2u rack unit that it controls. The rack unit can be used without the remote, but with limited functionality. I can't tell you with WHAT functionality because the rack unit wasn't complete...they apparently hadn't finished it in time for the show, so the front panel controls were missing. It has analog and digital inputs, although I can't remember the exact configuration. It has controls for multiple monitors and a sub, and you can mute them individually. It has a talkback. It has a mono switch. I'm sure it will sound great....but I can't wait to get my hands on it. I'll be reviewing it for TapeOp as soon as they ship me one. Again....this beast looks AMAZING in person. I heard $1,700...but that's just what I think I remember. That puts it in line with the Cranesong.

Kirt Shearer
Paradise Studios
Any idea if it will handle surround? Any bass management?

Thanks
10th November 2010
Old 10th November 2010
Lives for gear

i guess (or hope) it has pristine and better DAC than the avocet

thereĀ“s the new drawmer HQ too, a bit competition, but not for design
10th November 2010
Old 10th November 2010
Lives for gear

I'm excited to learn more about this one!!
14th November 2010
Old 14th November 2010
Lives for gear

Video Vault | VintageKing.com

Click on the link to see a video on the Oculus, looks like a great product, and a much needed unit for today's hybrid rig.
14th November 2010
Old 14th November 2010
Lives for gear

Me want
14th November 2010
Old 14th November 2010
Gear addict

5.1 I hope!
14th November 2010
Old 14th November 2010
Lives for gear

Very interested in this! Can this be used with the Equinox or is it independent?
14th November 2010
Old 14th November 2010
Lives for gear

14th November 2010
Old 14th November 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by The MPCist View Post
Very interested in this! Can this be used with the Equinox or is it independent?
This is an independant unit. You could use it with the Equinox but the monitor functions would be redundant. I'm getting a prototype this coming week. I'll save the review for TapeOp, but I'll list the feature set when it arrives.

Kirt Shearer
14th November 2010
Old 14th November 2010
Lives for gear

The VK video does give one a better idea of what it is/does.
The desk unit looks fantastic: great design and feature set.
But the rack component with meters seems a bit underwhelming in terms of design. I say that ONLY in the context of Shadow Hills esthetic, because outside of that the rack piece still looks pretty cool: nice VU meters, good looking knobs. But as a SH piece: it looks kind of barren. Like it's missing something. A more adventurous layout? Other functional/esthetic components? Anyway: I think someone said that that part might have been a prototype or some such thing, so perhaps it is not final.
Either way: the stuff looks awesome!
p.

Labor Camp Orchestra

We Are Working All The Time!
+

>>>>>> FS: api-5500 mint!
14th November 2010
Old 14th November 2010
Gear addict

I really like the SH aesthetic normally but this looks a bit like a child's activity center to me...
14th November 2010
Old 14th November 2010
Lives for gear

....monitor controller by V-tek....on sale now at Target.....

Kirt Shearer
14th November 2010
Old 14th November 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monobasser View Post
I really like the SH aesthetic normally but this looks a bit like a child's activity center to me...
Hmmm... I kind of do see your point.
If one can picture it in hot pink (not unlike the color in your avatar), then it starts to "go different places"...

BUT it IS black, and that does make a difference.

p.
15th November 2010
Old 15th November 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by piotr View Post
If one can picture it in hot pink (not unlike the color in your avatar), then it starts to "go different places"...
LOL. Yes, or lime green! (shades of Nintendo 64... :o)

Quote:
Originally Posted by piotr View Post
BUT it IS black, and that does make a difference.

p.
Absolutely!
15th November 2010
Old 15th November 2010
x86 Moderator

My Recordings/Credits

Send a message via Skype™ to George Necola
"It sounds wonderful".. "thank you very very much"..
15th November 2010
Old 15th November 2010
Lives for gear

Ouch. Can't seem to fathom how I made it this far in my life without this. George Necola, send me one for next week !

(Click on the sig pic to listen to Mud & Grace or go to www.napoleonwashington.com)
15th November 2010
Old 15th November 2010
Lives for gear

This thing looks killer! But............$1700?, Dangerous Music Monitor ST and Danfield Monitor 2 (Not so popular) has this covered already. At least there will be another contender in the mix....

I believe the UBK Monitoring solution provides everything this unit does for $1000k less.................
http://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-much-gear-so-little-time/548403-ubk-monitor-controller-talkback.html

What I have been waiting for is a "Better" Central Station for under 1K while not sacificing quality and sound or the lack-there-of. Such a shame that there is a $2k+ jump from the Central Station, which is so feature rich but crap quality to a Cranesong Avocet.

Just Saying.......This product at this pricepoint has already been covered.....BUT IT DOES LOOK KICKASS!!
15th November 2010
Old 15th November 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonT View Post
This thing looks killer! But............$1700?, Dangerous Music Monitor ST and Danfield Monitor 2 (Not so popular) has this covered already. At least there will be another contender in the mix....

I believe the UBK Monitoring solution provides everything this unit does for $1000k less.................
http://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-much-gear-so-little-time/548403-ubk-monitor-controller-talkback.html

What I have been waiting for is a "Better" Central Station for under 1K while not sacificing quality and sound or the lack-there-of. Such a shame that there is a $2k+ jump from the Central Station, which is so feature rich but crap quality to a Cranesong Avocet.

Just Saying.......This product at this pricepoint has already been covered.....BUT IT DOES LOOK KICKASS!!
I think it's too early to be showing disappointment towards a product just because of it's price point being the same as another known product.
Does it sound better? Is it easier to use? Does it give you more functions? Less? Build quality? etc.
If this thing sounds better than my Avocet I might be interested. As long as the build quality's good.
15th November 2010
Old 15th November 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonT View Post
While i really like the pricepoint of the UBK-unit, one must not forget that the SH Oculus is a stepped controller, which is VERY important for lots of people.
15th November 2010
Old 15th November 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbjp View Post
I think it's too early to be showing disappointment towards a product just because of it's price point being the same as another known product.
Does it sound better? Is it easier to use? Does it give you more functions? Less? Build quality? etc.
If this thing sounds better than my Avocet I might be interested. As long as the build quality's good.
No no don't get me wrong.....I think it's an awsome "looking" unit! Really, I do! Shawdow Hills are none for making quality units as well! I was only responding to the points people were making about it filling a void.....The void of this product at this pricepoint has already been filled. Nothing wrong with having different designs, but.......this is nothing new.

Danfield Monitor 2, Dangerous Monitor ST and the Cranesong Avocat are all proven to be "transparent" and a proper monitor controller should NOT have a sound at all. Competition is a good thing becuase it drives the prices down. So I am all for it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmolemon View Post
While i really like the pricepoint of the UBK-unit, one must not forget that the SH Oculus is a stepped controller, which is VERY important for lots of people.
16th November 2010
Old 16th November 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tapehiss View Post
Video Vault | VintageKing.com

Click on the link to see a video on the Oculus, looks like a great product, and a much needed unit for today's hybrid rig.

You have to give them credit for having that killer Isaac Hayes track running through it!
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search