Login / Register

RME Fireface UFX
New Reply
Subscribe
1st February 2011
Old 1st February 2011
Lives for gear

The preamps of the Babyface are the same like in the Firefaces UFX, US and 400.
1st February 2011
Old 1st February 2011
Gear interested

Exclamation

So if i record electirc guitar, bass guitar of vocals on a BABYFACE or on a UFX there would be no difference in sound quality?!
1st February 2011
Old 1st February 2011
Lives for gear

Send a message via MSN to Mats H
Quote:
Originally Posted by parisowar View Post
So if i record electirc guitar, bass guitar of vocals on a BABYFACE or on a UFX there would be no difference in sound quality?!
I have yet to compare those two different audio interfaces. The specs are similar. Read through the reviews of them, one seems to suggest that those are quite similar in sound.

Better yet, check the feature sets of them. One has 30 inputs, 30 outputs, dynamics, EQ, 4 mic pres and so fourth. Do you need those functions, by all means, get the interface. If you don't, then other interfaces might be more suitable. I don't think you'll loose any audio quality with either, they are up to the task and perform admirably.
1st February 2011
Old 1st February 2011
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mats H View Post
Better yet, check the feature sets of them. One has 30 inputs, 30 outputs, dynamics, EQ, 4 mic pres and so fourth. Do you need those functions, by all means, get the interface. If you don't, then other interfaces might be more suitable. I don't think you'll loose any audio quality with either, they are up to the task and perform admirably.

Mats Helgesson
LIVING SOUND
Ok what other interfaces would you suggest that would really be an upgrade from my M-AUDIO FAST TRACK PRO
1st February 2011
Old 1st February 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by parisowar View Post
Ok what other interfaces would you suggest that would really be an upgrade from my M-AUDIO FAST TRACK PRO
Any RME Interface that suit your needs.
2nd February 2011
Old 2nd February 2011
Gear interested

HI guys!! I have a few questions: how the UFX compares to the 2882? Is there any major difference in the quality of the converters and preamps? I am about to buy one of this interfaces.

(excuse my english, this is my first time here)
4th February 2011
Old 4th February 2011
Gear Head

Thank you for the great information

I ordered my RME Fireface UFX about a week ago. It is slated for shipment to me on Feb 11th, so I should have it in no more than a week and a half. I found a few audio clips online of a guitar piece, and it sounds super clean, and the thing I like is that the presence sounds so real it is like the person is standing in the room.
Anyhow, I just joined this forum because I had to do more than just do a sneak peek. I have been shopping interfaces for a couple of months and the RME UFX appears to be exactly what I need. My nose is buried in the Pro Tools 9 book. PT9 is another recent acquisition. So I have a lot of work in front of me.
I'm a musician first, a gear slut next, and a studio engineer in the making.
5th February 2011
Old 5th February 2011
Gear Head

Mike,
Thank you for your reply and for the warm welcome. This is the best forum I have found so far for studio pro's so I have a lot to learn here. If you are interested in where I heard that clip (s) of the RME with just a guitar here is the link; RME FireFace UFX Review : Weapon of Massive Recording - Audiofanzine
You can scroll down to the part where there are 3 clips. One with the dry guitar signal, another with I think compression and EQ, and the third has EQ and Comp as well as the reverb. The settings are the ones that are provided automatically, so the reverb hasn't been tweaked. On that same web page there is a video that displays functions, showing how to access them, and set the different screens/parameters.
I thought this would be of general interest since some curiosity was aroused by Matt's reverb assesment in his first hands on evaluation. Matt thanks for sharing all of your input on the RME. I haven't been this excited about a new acquistion for a long time.
Thanks again,
Bob
6th February 2011
Old 6th February 2011
Gear maniac

read earlier someone bitchin' that the reverb 'wasn't very good' (or similar) on the UFX. On the clip I just heard (one up above this post), the reverb was the most impressive part! Preamps sound great! If you can't make a professional record with this device, you should sell it and change vocations.

"Results beat logic- always."
DAW- Sonar, PC: i7 4770K processor, Roland, Mytek, A-Designs, Universal Audio, Neumann, AKG, Shure, Marshall, Gibson, Fender, G&L, Takamine
6th February 2011
Old 6th February 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Any RME Interface that suit your needs.

Mats Helgesson
LIVING SOUND
Matt,
I want to thank you for taking the time to produce an incredible array of sound clips posted a few pages back comparing the FF800 to the UFX, and to your dedicated pre's.
I finally downloaded and installed the free trial version of WinZip so I could open the zip files. (The first one was 4 hundred and some megs but worth it to hear the full wave files) Thanks again for such a comprehensive review.
Bob
6th February 2011
Old 6th February 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobF View Post
Matt,
I want to thank you for taking the time to produce an incredible array of sound clips posted a few pages back comparing the FF800 to the UFX, and to your dedicated pre's.
I finally downloaded and installed the free trial version of WinZip so I could open the zip files. (The first one was 4 hundred and some megs but worth it to hear the full wave files) Thanks again for such a comprehensive review.
Bob
Hi, it was my pleasure, glad it was of some use Take care.
7th February 2011
Old 7th February 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
read earlier someone bitchin' that the reverb 'wasn't very good' (or similar) on the UFX. On the clip I just heard (one up above this post), the reverb was the most impressive part!
Well I wouldn't go so far as to call someone else's opinion "bitchin'"

I thought the reverb sounded okay, but nothing particularly special. These effects are not designed for high end post work, mainly for zero latency headphone mixes.

I actually thought the auto level/compression clip was quite impressive.
11th February 2011
Old 11th February 2011
Gear maniac

Hej Mats!

How would say the UFX performs compared to the Lake People ADC44 I bought from you ? (which I am extremely happy with btw)

I want to continue use it, but thinking of getting something to plug it into to be able to have more channels on occasion. And the UFX seem a very nice choice. So when you mention you feel its on par with the Lavry Blue I get even more excited...

/peter
11th February 2011
Old 11th February 2011
Gear maniac

Mats,

Quote:
You can't control the output volume of the channels from the front panel.
You certainly can... Press "Channels", scroll through the channels by turning Encoder 1, then press Encoder 2 to select the desired parameter (2 moves the selction down, 1 moves up). Turn Encoder 2 to change the selected value. You can control level, balance, mute, phase L/R, and FX return for every output channel.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME
11th February 2011
Old 11th February 2011
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by RME Support View Post
You certainly can... Press "Channels", scroll through the channels by turning Encoder 1, then press Encoder 2 to select the desired parameter (2 moves the selction down, 1 moves up). Turn Encoder 2 to change the selected value. You can control level, balance, mute, phase L/R, and FX return for every output channel.
Not to mention each input channel's send level and pan to that output. It'd be a tedious task to set up sub-mixes as such, but possible none-the-less.
11th February 2011
Old 11th February 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delphino View Post
Hej Mats!

How would say the UFX performs compared to the Lake People ADC44 I bought from you ? (which I am extremely happy with btw)

I want to continue use it, but thinking of getting something to plug it into to be able to have more channels on occasion. And the UFX seem a very nice choice. So when you mention you feel its on par with the Lavry Blue I get even more excited...

/peter
Hi Peter,

I'm glad you like the converter, I sure did when I used it as my primary A/D converter! I believe the F44 is a bit faster in the analog section than the RME interfaces I've used. It's more in the Lavry league at 44 and 48 KHz. The RME soundcards have that ever so slightly congested sound in the mid range that's hard to put in words. Though it's very subtle and I consider the UFX to sound very very good. Note that I'm comparing it to a converter that costs three times as much. The UFX opens up at 88.2 and 96 KHz just like the Fireface 800 did so I prefer to record at those sample rates. Or just use the Lavry at 48. When I'm forced to use lower sample rates, the UFX still performs very well and it's a slight upgrade from my Fireface 800. The preamps are very usable.

What's more important to me than the last 3% of difference in sound quality is the flexibility and reliability of the RME hardware and software. I used the UFX to record a jazz band a couple of days ago and I also did FOH. It's very nice to just connect a midi BCF2000 and do regular live sound with EQ, compressors and reverb built in, not having to lug a big analog mixer. At VERY low latencies (around 1 ms). The FX section sounds very good for FOH. And it's practically noise free.

The UFX will most likely be a very fine choice, you can use it's AES input when you want to connect your F44.

Take care!

Last edited by Mats H; 11th February 2011 at 09:16 AM.. Reason: clarification
11th February 2011
Old 11th February 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RME Support View Post
Mats,

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME
Of course you're right, I was on the wrong channel bank..
11th February 2011
Old 11th February 2011
Gear maniac

Quote:
Hi Peter,

I'm glad you like the converter, I sure did when I used it as my primary A/D converter! I believe the F44 is a bit faster in the analog section than the RME interfaces I've used. It's more in the Lavry league at 44 and 48 KHz. The RME soundcards have that ever so slightly congested sound in the mid range that's hard to put in words. Though it's very subtle and I consider the UFX to sound very very good. Note that I'm comparing it to a converter that costs three times as much. The UFX opens up at 88.2 and 96 KHz just like the Fireface 800 did so I prefer to record at those sample rates. Or just use the Lavry at 48. When I'm forced to use lower sample rates, the UFX still performs very well and it's a slight upgrade from my Fireface 800. The preamps are very usable.

What's more important to me than the last 3% of difference in sound quality is the flexibility and reliability of the RME hardware and software. I used the UFX to record a jazz band a couple of days ago and I also did FOH. It's very nice to just connect a midi BCF2000 and do regular live sound with EQ, compressors and reverb built in, not having to lug a big analog mixer. At VERY low latencies (around 1 ms). The FX section sounds very good for FOH. And it's practically noise free.

The UFX will most likely be a very fine choice, you can use it's AES input when you want to connect your F44.

Take care!

Mats Helgesson
LIVING SOUND
Thanks for the input Mats!
11th February 2011
Old 11th February 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelPatrick View Post

Found out yesterday that mine is on its way to my dealer for pickup any day now. I'm happy and excited, and at my age that's saying something!
I'm with you Michael. I'm anticipating mine by Wed. or Thursday of this coming week another 5 or 6 days from now. My nose is already pressed against the front glass window awaiting the delivery truck, and the rest of the time I am in dreamsville with new songs arriving in my head.
This is the last piece of a pie that I have been building for a long, long while, and consequently I haven't been able to record until now. So I have a bit of a learning curve to go through I'd say.
I'm finding this forum fascinating.

I was told that if I want more mic pres the FocusRite Octopre MKII dynamic is an excellent choice for the money because it is designed to work with a full featured converter such as the RME. They even went so far to say that the pre's may even be a little better. Does anyone have any experience with that? Of course some side by side sound clips would be a dream. That's pretty amazing considering the price; 8 more pre's for $699 MAP.
12th February 2011
Old 12th February 2011
Gear addict

so if i was to use something like a neve pre and send it through the input on the front of the ufx, would the signal be going through the rme's pre? is the rme's pre bypassed when selecting line input?

anyone know how this unit sounds compared to steinbergs MR816x interfaces? does it hold up to auroras converters?
12th February 2011
Old 12th February 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
BobF, I don't know anything about the OctoPre MKII. To exploit those UFX's ADAT inputs I plan to use a Lynx Aurora 16 with LT-ADAT card. It'd be a shame not to tap into all that I/O!
Ok I'm humbled. I would love to hear your setup when the RME arrives. An A-B comparison of just RME and then upping the ante with the Aurora. I went and looked up your 16 and it earned a WOW. Right now I am going to cut my eye teeth on the UFX, and then take some time to figure out where to go from there. I was inquiring about a good way to expand the amount of pre's when my rep told me about the Octopre MKII just for Pre expansion purposes. I'm talking over my currrent level of knowledge here so forgive me if I oops but he claims that Focusrite has some great high end pre's and the MKII gives you 8 great pre's, possibly even better than the ones that come with the UFX and all for only $499 or $699 if you go with the dynamic which has built in compression as well. Then you are paying for just the basics, as in pre's and use the UFX as your main ( ) That way you are jumping into 12 mic pres instead of only 4 for a little bit of money, and a lot of "quality" (I put quality in parenthesis because in this forum the word quality is a relative term tutt)
So it was ProTools 9 last week. This week it is RME UFX, for me to even consider another heavy hit for another week would be
My attention is diverted to getting the Fender Vintage Noiseless pickups in my Strat and Tele. Not to get off the subject but I am the proud owner of a 1966 telecaster that I had bought brand new in 1966. The action is so wonderful it almost plays itself. Yes I am a musician first, gear nut second (have lots of musical gear) and studio engineer, which is pulling up the caboose position at the moment. I am hoping to learn a lot this year, and get to the point that I understand what everyone is talking about.
So rather than ask a lot of really stupid questions, I decided to do more sitting on the sidelines, get the UFX, study the manual, play with it for awhile, and then I can come back and ask only somewhat stupid ones
13th February 2011
Old 13th February 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
BobF, sounds like you've got some great projects ahead.

I think having a long row of identical mic pres isn't a good use of money unless you really plan to use them simultaneously, like for drums. If you plan to track multiple live gigs, a small mixer that doesn't cost too much might be more useful, you can use the direct or inserts for recording.

If you're going to layer tracks, having just a few good mic pres are better, IMO, than having many lesser ones. There are lots of good opinions around here about mic pres. My money, if I were you, would go on a Sytek 4ch or a DAV BG1 with 2ch. Both of these deliver a lot of preamp for the money. The DAV is legendary, clean, clear and musical, and very good on anything from rock to classical.

Hey, take a picture of that Tele!
Michael,
Thank you for your input. (No pun intended :-) No seriously I appreciate the information. You have me thinking. I don't really need additional inputs right now. I really plan on being a one man production. The 4 that come with the UFX are sufficient at the moment.
I have a 16 channel with 6 microphone XLR inputs Mackie CR1604 mixing board from years back that hasn't seen too much use, it appears like new. Is that what you mean by a small mixer for example? I was thinking if I got stuck and really needed the additional microphone inputs I could use that and then use the line outs into the line ins on the RME. I really don't think I will need to bother with that for now though.
I'm in complete agreement with you on one of your other points as well, "I'd rather have a little bit of something good, rather than a whole lot of cr@p. I'll have to check out the Sytek, and the DAV. I appreciate the tip.

Here are some photos of the tele. It originally came with a butterscotch finish, I naturalized it and placed a P90 in the new middle position for doing high gain lead work with a distortion pedal without feedback. The two switches on the leg enabled me to use the original tele with no changes, as in just the two pickups, or by flipping up the other small switch I could use the humbucker in conjunction with the tele selector as in any combo of pickups, or the humbucker alone.
I don't want to run too far astray from the main subject of this thread but I have to quickly add that when I bought this new in 66, I had just looked at an old Gibson Les Paul that the guy was asking $200 for in the paper and I decided to get the new Tele instead. That meant the "Old" Les Paul had to be in the 50's somewhere. The worth of that one alone would nicely equip a studio. The teles are worth a lot too but not like that. This one in order to return it to collector quality original would require me buying an orignal tele body since I refinished the one that is on there. They do have them for that year, I see them on eBay from time to time, and a new pick guard. I have everything else including the ashtray cover for the bridge pickup like new. The hardware is all original except the one pickup which I still have after replacing it, and can be rewound. I would never sell it though. It got a good workout in high school and college with the bands I was in, but after that it was retired to the case only brought out occasionally and that is why it is in such incredible condition. The neck stamp when you remove it says "Sept 1966".

I bought the Fender Vintage Noiseless pickups for it. I also picked up a DiMarzio DP162BK to replace the soapbar P90 because it drops right in the slot, no alterations, and it has 4 wires so you can use a dual push pull pot with it so you can toggle between just a single coil original tele type sound in the middle pickup as well, or in the other position it becomes a noise cancelling humbucker. My 1993 Strat is getting the noiseless pickup install being done right now tying up my kitchen table. I hope to be sending in some sample clips of these being pushed through the RME UFX real soon. It will take me a little time to get everything setup. I have a Fender Blues Deluxe Tweed Tube amp that I play them through which really creates that Fender old bluesy tubular sound. With the P90 it even almost imitates a jazz semi-hollow body when you set it a certain way.

Anyhow the RME is going to be getting a workout. My Strat also has the Roland GR-20 pickup on it controlling over 500 synth sounds built in. I also have a Yamaha MM6 keyboard synth. Boss ME70 guitar effects which is a sweetheart, but I am eyeballing its even bigger brother the GT10. Both of these models have an array of cabinet emulations. The list goes on...
The RME is coming this week, and the Strat will be ready. Thank you for your interest, and for taking the time to read all of this.

UPDATE: The GT10 I was eyeballing I decided to get, so I ordered it on Wednesday, it already shipped and will arrive on Friday, BUT unforunately, RME backordered the UFX and now I won't get it until the middle of March. I guess some things are worth waiting for. A quick note about the Boss GT10. How do you create presets that take into consideration every guitars particular set of pickups, and wood type, playing ability etc.? Answer: you can't. So along comes this behemoth floor pedal with a price tag to match that gives you complete adjustablity in every parameter, some take 4 hours or more tweaking the perfect sound, and then provide a built in DSP chip, and a USB port as wel as MIDI, and enable storage of user presets, and even downloadable capabilities to share patches, so the guitar player using one can bring along his custom sounds to the studio. You may say but they want to bring their cabinets along as well for their "sound". The problem is that instead of using the GT10, with not only cabinet emulations, but also stackable emulations, and every nuance of tone fully adjustable, with ten or twenty different parameters, you have the advantage of not limiting yourself to the limitations of the microphone, and ampifier; every device can for example add noise, reduce the frequency range etc. Every great guitar player develops his signature sound, and you can exactly emulate that with the GT10. I would include links to patches for example of Stevie Ray Vaughan, or Led Zeppelin, etc. but that is getting away from the essential core of this thread. The GT10 even has it's own converter built in, but not one that will give you the sound quality of the RME UFX. I was advised to just plug the GT10 into 2 of the line inputs of the RME for the cleanest sound, but the temptation to utilize the MIDI via USB or MIDI and be able to change the patches later on in the final mixes is a real temptation.
RME UFX in 4 weeks.
Attached Thumbnails
RME Fireface UFX-teleincase2.jpg   RME Fireface UFX-teleheadstock.jpg   RME Fireface UFX-teleincasefullview.jpg   RME Fireface UFX-telepickupsnselector.jpg  
18th February 2011
Old 18th February 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
That may be the prettiest Tele I've seen. I love the wood!

BTW, got my new UFX and I've begun to learn the menus and TotalMix.
Michael,
Eat my heart out. I should have been getting mine tomorrow with the GT10 delivery, but instead I have to wait another month.
Something my Dad used to say. "Hurry up and wait". Even with the Strat installing the new noiseless pickups. I took it apart and compared the wiring diagrams supplied by Fender and none of them matched. Even the pots were mislabeled in the directions. I decided to go into the local Sam Ash and have them installed; another 2 week wait. Oh well I am patient and have enough other things to do. For example I have to learn Pro Tools. I got PT 9 and bought the MBox Mini because it included PT LE which qualified me for the upgrade into PT9 and saved me some money that way. So I can play with LE and the cheapy box to begin to learn it while I am waiting.

So any first impressions on the UFX? Where did you get it so soon? Everyone else is sold out until March?
19th February 2011
Old 19th February 2011
Lives for gear

Check out post #198 here: What's on your digital camera?

I used the UFX for all A/D channels except the M/S overhead pair, which went through Earthworks LAB102 and Lavry Blue. The piano mic, kick and snare went through the four UFX preamps. Bass, audience mics, udu and beta58 went through a home built preamp. I did FOH with this rig. No discernible noise, crystal clear sound and no hickups.

Mic list:

Kick: Rode NT2000
Snare: Neumann KM140
OH: Sennheiser MKH40 & MKH30
Piano: Schoeps MSTC64
Bass: Ehrlund pickup & DPA 4099
Audience: Shure SM94
Speech: Shure Beta58
Udu: Some kind of lavalier mic

Surround and stereo mixes were made with Sonar with built-in EQ and compression. Relab LX480 reverb. Mastering was done in Sound Forge with PSP MasterQ, Mastercomp and Izotope Mastering Limiter.

I REALLY like the sound quality of the UFX so far. BTW I'm buying a Babyface too
19th February 2011
Old 19th February 2011
Gear maniac

Following up a question from this thread:

What's on your digital camera?

Thanks for the fast reply.
I have never used Reaper but then again I do not usually need to have cross platform option being primarily a mac guy.

I upgraded my old, and really reliable, Fireface 800 to a UFX as a christmas gift to myself but I have not had the chance to use it thoroughly until just recently.
To say the least, I'm very impressed with the unit ADDA and specially the preamps which are very useful, as your piano recording clearly states.

Hälsningar från Uppsala!
//Eric
19th February 2011
Old 19th February 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricBradley View Post
Following up a question from this thread:

What's on your digital camera?

Thanks for the fast reply.
I have never used Reaper but then again I do not usually need to have cross platform option being primarily a mac guy.

I upgraded my old, and really reliable, Fireface 800 to a UFX as a christmas gift to myself but I have not had the chance to use it thoroughly until just recently.
To say the least, I'm very impressed with the unit ADDA and specially the preamps which are very useful, as your piano recording clearly states.

Hälsningar från Uppsala!
//Eric
Hi Eric,

Hälsningar! I actually passed Uppsala on my way back to Stockholm from Järvsö today.

Reaper is very capable and quite cheap, I recommend it to anyone doing recordings as it's very dependable and requires almost nothing in terms of computer performance. I did a test and could actually record 96 tracks of 24 bit 192 KHz audio on my stationary Core2 Quad Q6600 computer in Reaper.

The ADDA is indeed quite impressive. My old Fireface 800 wasn't bad but I didn't sing it's praise much. The UFX to me is a slight step up and I don't feel bad about using it's A/D instead of the Lavry converter.
19th February 2011
Old 19th February 2011
Gear maniac

Quote:
Hi Eric,

Hälsningar! I actually passed Uppsala on my way back to Stockholm from Järvsö today.

Reaper is very capable and quite cheap, I recommend it to anyone doing recordings as it's very dependable and requires almost nothing in terms of computer performance. I did a test and could actually record 96 tracks of 24 bit 192 KHz audio on my stationary Core2 Quad Q6600 computer in Reaper.

The ADDA is indeed quite impressive. My old Fireface 800 wasn't bad but I didn't sing it's praise much. The UFX to me is a slight step up and I don't feel bad about using it's A/D instead of the Lavry converter.

Mats Helgesson
LIVING SOUND
So... You were up in Järvsö?
It's was really cold today. Temperature between -25 C and -15 C.

Did you record this jazz session at 96 kHz or did you go for less?
19th February 2011
Old 19th February 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
So... You were up in Järvsö?
It's was really cold today. Temperature between -25 C and -15 C.

Did you record this jazz session at 96 kHz or did you go for less?
I was at a kickoff with my employer (My day gig is at Tele2) and it was freezing at night (-30 or so) when we got to bed. REALLY cold.

I recorded it at 48 KHz because it'll end up on DVD. Anything above 44.1 and it's all good...
20th February 2011
Old 20th February 2011
Gear maniac

Quote:
How can tracking software (I'm using Reaper) record a stereo mix from the UFX? I see some things in the manual that seem to allude to it but I don't see any UFX outputs in the list of ASIO inputs.
Why don't you try the loopback function in Totalmix FX?

Route the inputs you are currently using to an output of choice. (Let's say 7-8 for this example.)
Turn Loopback on that output channel in TMFX.

Now In your preferred DAW:
Record enable a stereo track set to the same inputs as your previous outputs in TMFX. (IE Use input 7-8 in this example.)

Record.
21st February 2011
Old 21st February 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Why don't you try the loopback function in Totalmix FX?
Ah, because I'm a noob. Thanks.

I also discovered the Global Record feature in DIGICheck. Wow! It seems to be a precursor for recording tracks via the front panel USB connector.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search