Subscribe
1st December 2010
Old 1st December 2010
Lives for gear

Send a message via MSN to Mats H
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolandcool View Post
Hello Mats. thank you for your answer.. i mean exactly this, i want to get also an Avalon M5 or 737, but i worried about if i going to see a valuable change in the sound.. because if not, i would have spent around 1500 usd in nothing... what do you think?? thumbsup
Hi, I've never used that preamp but if that's the sound you are going for, by all means, get it. My point is that the preamps of the fireface are good enough for professional recordings but if you need a specific character besides clean, it might not be for you. Use your ears. Try them both. Or do the Gearslut thing and buy everything
1st December 2010
Old 1st December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolandcool View Post
Hello Mats. thank you for your answer.. i mean exactly this, i want to get also an Avalon M5 or 737, but i worried about if i going to see a valuable change in the sound.. because if not, i would have spent around 1500 usd in nothing... what do you think?? thumbsup
A 737 is going to sound and sit different in a mix than the built in pres. That does not mean that one is better than the other. That depends on the room the source, mic and other factors including preamp. There are gear combinations that are like magic for certain sources. You just have to try things with the people or instruments you will be recording. also don't be fooled by the description clean when referring to mic pres. Clean can have many textures to it! a 737, Martech and Grace designs are all clean but very different sounding! Best of luck

Jazztone
1st December 2010
Old 1st December 2010
Lives for gear

I just bought myself and Ipad and AC-7 Core, from which I can remote control the UFX using the Mackie Control Protocol :D It works over WiFi. For all other things, I can VNC to the laptop. I have yet to get it working on the MacBook, but it works in Windows on my main DAW so far.

So now I can do live mixing while sitting in the audience after bringing a wifi access point to recording gigs. Very awesome. Yes, this scores highly on the geek scale.

Saitara Software
GES
1st December 2010
Old 1st December 2010
GES
Gear nut

Mats, can you also monitor, or hear what you are recording through headphones at a distance, via ipad-ac7-core?
Thanks!
2nd December 2010
Old 2nd December 2010
Gear maniac

I'd be interested in hearing from someone who uses a MultiFace II and is now using the FF UFX. I'm absolutely going to be upgrading the MultiFace- to something- but want to make certain the UFX would be an improvement over what I use now.

"Results beat logic- always."
DAW- Sonar, PC: i7 4770K processor, Roland, Mytek, A-Designs, Universal Audio, Neumann, AKG, Shure, Marshall, Gibson, Fender, G&L, Takamine
2nd December 2010
Old 2nd December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GES View Post
Mats, can you also monitor, or hear what you are recording through headphones at a distance, via ipad-ac7-core?
Thanks!
No you can't.
2nd December 2010
Old 2nd December 2010
Gear maniac

Nor will you be able to ever via WiFi. The buffers are too large and erratic for real-time low-latency applications.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GES View Post
Thanks!
3rd December 2010
Old 3rd December 2010
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mats H View Post
I just bought myself and Ipad and AC-7 Core, from which I can remote control the UFX using the Mackie Control Protocol :D
Very cool... I was just looking into that a couple of days ago. Anyone heard of anything similar to AC-7 for android phones? Would be awesome if I could use my HTC phone as a remote for the UFX!
3rd December 2010
Old 3rd December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mats H View Post
So now I can do live mixing while sitting in the audience after bringing a wifi access point to recording gigs. Very awesome. Yes, this scores highly on the geek scale.
This sounds great, but I'd be nervous relying on a WiFi link to run live sound. I'd hate to have the link interrupted right as you start to hear feedback. Call me old fashioned, but sometimes I need the reliability of an analogue knob! I have enough experience with RME to trust the UFX itself as much as any board, but that trust does not extend to other products that may be controlling it or the link between them. Mats, I would love to get updates on how the rig works out for you.

Regarding Mats' sound clips, I agree with the general consensus that FF800 (colder, more sterile) < UFX < Lavry (very smooth, especially in mids, compared to RME). However, in all honesty the differences were very subtle and I could not distinguish one from the other many times during blind tests. Part of the trouble may be that I am listening back through the FF800, which does not have the best DA. When I compared the FF800 to the Orpheus a while back, I used the Orpheus DA for monitoring which may have helped me hear subtle differences more clearly.

I am impressed by the UFX preamps, though. They sound very useable. I have rarely found a use for the FF800 pres, and use them only as a last resort when I need the extra inputs. I am sure I could find uses for the UFX pres. The upgread in preamps alone may make it worth upgrading from the FF800 to the UFX.

Thanks again for taking time to post clips and your review, Mats,
3rd December 2010
Old 3rd December 2010
Gear interested

another UFX user chiming in

Hi
I unpacked my UFX earlier today. Installed drivers, put cables in it, power-up, change audio device in Pro Tools 9, and GO!
Took me 15 minutes to switch from my old system, Digi002 with ADI-8 DS.

After testing it briefly, it seems to work like a charm, all ins/outs showing up in PT, new TotalMix FX is much more convenient to use than the original one.

Sound-wise, I feel a difference in sonic quality, compared to the ADI-8 DS. Not a different breed, it is subtle. My impression is that old stuff sounds more wide and slightly warmer. I´ll come back to this later. Will do some comparing next week, during an album mix.

Only downside so far, is that the cover for the upper one of the two small pots, simply fell off. It was glued in place, obviously not strong enough. The pot is still usable, annoying though...

So far, I´m a very happy camper.

Cheers,

AuWa
3rd December 2010
Old 3rd December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by auwa View Post
Hi
I unpacked my UFX earlier today. Installed drivers, put cables in it, power-up, change audio device in Pro Tools 9, and GO!

After testing it briefly, it seems to work like a charm, all ins/outs showing up in PT, new TotalMix FX is much more convenient to use than the original one.

Sound-wise, I feel a difference in sonic quality, compared to the ADI-8 DS. Not a different breed, it is subtle. My impression is that old stuff sounds more wide and slightly warmer. I´ll come back to this later. Will do some comparing next week, during an album mix.

Only downside so far, is that the cover for the upper one of the two small pots, simply fell off. It was glued in place, obviously not strong enough. The pot is still usable, annoying though...

Cheers,

AuWa
Not sure how often you used your Digi002, but how big of a difference is there between the 002 and the UFX?

Considering upgrading my 002rack to a Fireface UC or UFX
3rd December 2010
Old 3rd December 2010
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8tron View Post
Not sure how often you used your Digi002, but how big of a difference is there between the 002 and the UFX?

Considering upgrading my 002rack to a Fireface UC or UFX
There hasn´t been any analog audio cables in my 002 for like 5 years. Actually, I never used it´s internal AD-DA. Always had external. 002=dongle for protools pre-9 ;-) So no comparison from me... sorry
4th December 2010
Old 4th December 2010
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by auwa View Post
Hi

Cheers,

AuWa
Is your ADi 8 DS being clocked by the UFX with word clock? And if yes, let us know if it runs tighter then with adat clock from the 002...

And also how do both together run in PT9 after doing some work with this system!
5th December 2010
Old 5th December 2010
Lives for gear

Can this soundcard playback multi-track audio from a USB stick or an external hard drive? Y'know carry out multi-track recording and playback?

I'm on the market for a souncard to replace my Steinberg MR816. I was thinking Fireface UC but the UFX would be a contender if it could run as a stand alone playback device. I'm quite pleased with the Steinberg card for audio quality but it's performance on PC and Mac is diabolical.
5th December 2010
Old 5th December 2010
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to Animus
Quote:
Originally Posted by cortisol View Post
Can this soundcard playback multi-track audio from a USB stick or an external hard drive? Y'know carry out multi-track recording and playback?

I'm on the market for a souncard to replace my Steinberg MR816. I was thinking Fireface UC but the UFX would be a contender if it could run as a stand alone playback device. I'm quite pleased with the Steinberg card for audio quality but it's performance on PC and Mac is diabolical.
huh I always thought those drivers for the 816 we supposed to be pretty decent.
5th December 2010
Old 5th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
huh I always thought those drivers for the 816 we supposed to be pretty decent.
Some of the worst Windows drivers in the industry unfortunately.
6th December 2010
Old 6th December 2010
Lives for gear

not true. i've owned several interfaces over the years and the mr16 for the last 2 years. works perfectly well in win xp sp3. i had more nightmares with tc konnekt than any other.
6th December 2010
Old 6th December 2010
Lives for gear

I guess it's really system dependent.

I use both the TC K48 & 24d on the same system. Works wonderfully. I've owned more interfaces then I can remember & the flexibility from the TC mixer, intergrater plugin, onboard dsp, being able to combine multiable interfaces into one, & standalone mixer operation really wins me over.

I also respect RME's products. Can't say anything bad about it. Everything I own from them works well.
7th December 2010
Old 7th December 2010
Lives for gear

Just did some stress testing. 22 tracks of 24 bit 96 KHz audio recording onto a 5400 rpm laptop drive. It's on an old HP NX9420 1,83 GHz Core2 Duo with 2 GB ram running Reaper on Windows 7.

The cpu meter in Windows got up to 30% at the most and Reaper's CPU meter peaked at 10%. I was using the AC-7 Core Ipad app over Wireless network (computer used wired ethernet over Gigabit Lan), controlling Totalmix FX without a hitch. No tweaking of software or drivers to get this running, standard settings for everything. WLAN was inactive on the machine.

I did 46 minutes of recording before I stopped it. No errors. I started another recording and pulled the USB cable after a minute. The program couldn't record further but didn't complain or crash. All audio I had recorded until the plug was pulled was intact. I had to stop the recording, save and reset the program to get back audio playback/recording again. No complaints from the software.

The connection between the AC-7 core on the Ipad and Totalmix was restored as soon as I connected the USB cable again.

I did this test once again, the drivers never complained about pulling the USB cable. All audio still intact. Now why did I do this? Well if you've ever experienced lost audio due to power failuire (if not using a UPS), then this is good news. If you're recording to a laptop you've already got a battery backup and losing the power at the venue will not mean you lose all audio up until the blackout. Just restart the app and off you go.

I just love Reaper for audio aquisition. The combination of Reaper and UFX is phenomenal! Yeah, this sounds like an advertisement but I'm really just a happy user.

Last edited by Mats H; 7th December 2010 at 05:39 PM.. Reason: typo
7th December 2010
Old 7th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
not true. i've owned several interfaces over the years and the mr16 for the last 2 years. works perfectly well in win xp sp3
The problems are not with XP but with Windows 7. Especially the 64 bit versions.
7th December 2010
Old 7th December 2010
Lives for gear

Assuming a person did not need more than 2 I/O at a time, which would be better of these 2 only, foregoing price.

UFX

Or

Metric Halo ULN-2
7th December 2010
Old 7th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumleymusic View Post
The problems are not with XP but with Windows 7. Especially the 64 bit versions.
good to know the specifics. thanks.
8th December 2010
Old 8th December 2010
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by laboso View Post
Is your ADi 8 DS being clocked by the UFX with word clock? And if yes, let us know if it runs tighter then with adat clock from the 002...

And also how do both together run in PT9 after doing some work with this system!
ADI 8 ds is synced via ADAT carrier signal. Never had problems with this on the 002. Only a bit confusion when changing sample rate. But thats more Digi Core Audio driver-related.
No word clock cables connected. No problems with in/outs whatsoever, works great in PT 9 and in Logic 9.1.3
8th December 2010
Old 8th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryjohns View Post
Assuming a person did not need more than 2 I/O at a time, which would be better of these 2 only, foregoing price.

UFX

Or

Metric Halo ULN-2
Would like to know this aswell. But isn't the ULN-2 mac only ?
11th December 2010
Old 11th December 2010
Gear interested

Just an advice,

Better for me to buy ff800 + mytek a/d or just ufx ?
The price will be the same for me.
11th December 2010
Old 11th December 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefkclub View Post
Just an advice,

Better for me to buy ff800 + mytek a/d or just ufx ?
The price will be the same for me.
for what purpose?

If you need the best conversion the Mytek route will be better, if you need more options (the ones only found the the ufx) the ufx route will be better

Matt
11th December 2010
Old 11th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt thomas View Post
for what purpose?

If you need the best conversion the Mytek route will be better, if you need more options (the ones only found the the ufx) the ufx route will be better

Matt
Exactly my thought. Yes, the conversion might be slightly better with the Mytek converter but I'd choose the UFX route any day based on MY needs. Just the ability to EQ the outputs in my home studio has made a great deal of difference to my mixes. What are your needs? Analyze those and purchase what you need. Then go to work!
11th December 2010
Old 11th December 2010
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisdee View Post
Would like to know this aswell. But isn't the ULN-2 mac only ?
yes
Deleted User
12th December 2010
Old 12th December 2010
Deleted User

UFX review

Another happy UFX user here. Being able to set up individual headphone mixes via the controls on the front panel so quickly really blew me away.

And the pre's are very usable. I did some A/B comparisons with TLA pre's and although I love the TLA colour, the UFX just sounded so much more honest.

It makes a wonderful centrepiece to any studio. I can't wait until they release the new firmware with USB record!

Highly recommended!

WT
15th December 2010
Old 15th December 2010
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt thomas View Post
for what purpose?

Matt
I need best conversion.
I mix with a midas via d/a 8 separate tracks.
So for the same price i think i will go for ff800 + mytek ( bargain price of course )
I think this soundcard is pretty cool but the screen and the 4 pre make the price higher than a ff800.....and i already have great preamp.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search