Orange Amps - OPC Price
The Press Desk
11th June 2010
Old 11th June 2010
News Desk Editor

Orange Amps - OPC Price

Orange Amplifiers, the British based pioneering force in guitar amplifiers, can now announce the final specification and price for the much anticipated and revolutionary all-in-one computer amplifier speaker – The OPC.

The OPC is more than a high quality all-in-one powerful computer, it has been designed to deliver playing, recording, editing and computing capabilities to musicians and music aficionados. The details are:

- The OPC will be priced at £1199 (inc vat), $1499, €1225 (ex vat/tax),

- 24 Bit Audio Interface with both guitar and microphone inputs

- Installed with Windows 7 (64 bit), this OPC comes bundled with over £700 (inc vat), €714 (ex vat/tax), $860 of free premium handpicked digital recording music software- no trialware at all. Orange has partnered with some of the worlds biggest names in the Audio Software business. The OPC will include:

o Presonus Studio Orange Custom Edition ( Professional level recording software offering powerful user friendly music creation and production application for artists of all levels)
o Acoustica Mixcraft – Full Version ( Easy to use multi-track studio software to record audio, arrange loops, remix tracks, compose with virtual instruments, score and edit video, and add effects to create stunningly professional compositions.)
o IK Multimedia Amplitube 3 ( Full Version of this leading guitar and bass tone gear modelling software. Over 160 ultra-accurately modelled sounds including brand new Custom Orange Amp models. Plug in your guitar; choose your sound and your away! )
o Toontracks – EZ Drummer Lite ( market leading multi-sampled acoustic drum-kit library to create great drums track in just a few clicks )
o Licklibrary - Guitar Tuition Software (Exclusive to OPC, selection of free guitar lessons from one of the world’s largest guitar education brands delivered through a Licklibrary media player )

- 15 watt RMS per channel stereo amplifier (into 4 ohms) with 2 band EQ, - 2 x JBL 6.5” 55 Watt RMS Dual Concentric Speakers both mounted into an optimised cabinet for enhanced cooling and acoustics.

- Portable strong lightweight vinyl covered wooden case with an all aluminium powder-coated chassis featuring the same iconic design as a small Orange Amplifier optimised for personal computer use.

- Direct stereo line to the internal amplifier allows the OPC to be used as an amplifier and speaker for any playback device- from iPods to Microphones

Technical Specifications:
NVIDIA® GeForce® 9300 integrated graphics (overclocked GPU)
GPU clock: 580 MHz / Shader clock: 1400 MHz
HDMI/VGA/DVI-I allowing up to 3 monitor outputs at the same time
Onboard 5.1-channel high-definition audio (via 3 stereo mini-jacks) and Optical * Coaxial S/PDIF outputs
2 independent ¼” jack inputs for guitar, microphone or instrument, switchable and attenuated
2 line-output ¼” jack sockets
2 powered jack sockets for external speaker use
Optical & Coaxial S/PDIF outputs
Intel® Pentium® Processor E5400 (2M Cache, 2.70 GHz, 800 MHz FSB)
4GB dual-channel DDR2 800 (PC6400)
7 USB 2.0 ports and 1 eSATA port for adding extra storage and devices.
Includes a top loaded (slot loading) DVD±RW DL for easy access and built-in Wi-Fi (802.11g) featuring a top loaded antenna maximising signal strength and throughput.
PCI-E x16 accepting a range of interfaces from PCI-E x1 through to x16.

Initially the OPC will be sold direct from Orange UK, Orange USA or from the Orange Website and will be available August 2010. Oranges Global Distribution network will expand later this year into general computer stores.

For further information news please see the website Orange Amplifiers
Attached Thumbnails
Orange Amps - OPC Price-opc_back_angled-copy-lr.jpg   Orange Amps - OPC Price-opc_front_face-copy-lr.jpg  
11th June 2010
Old 11th June 2010
Lives for gear

WTF?

I don't get it. It's an amplifier that is a computer? Do I take it to gigs and check my email? Is it April 1st? I didn't realize that there is a market out there for people that want their guitar amplifier to also be their computer. Now if you will excuse me, I need to be going to my bed, which is also my bath tub. You know? So I can take baths while I sleep.

I guess I can see the concept (the recording angle), but it's really dumb.

Do I provide my own DVI monitor or is the speaker grille a magic LCD?
11th June 2010
Old 11th June 2010
Lives for gear

I think it's so bloody far out that I'd LOVE to have it! Wouldn't really want to pay for it though

I wonder though, why use Amplitube 3 when you got an Orange amp?
11th June 2010
Old 11th June 2010
Lives for gear

stupidest. thing. ever.

FAIL.
11th June 2010
Old 11th June 2010
Lives for gear

I thought this was a joke...? Wasnt it posted before around April?
14th June 2010
Old 14th June 2010
Lives for gear

it's like a spinal tap spy gadget if that makes any sense.
14th June 2010
Old 14th June 2010
Lives for gear

My amps can't stand being three feet from a computer. Makes 'em buzzy as hell. So I think putting an amp in the same container as a computer is brilliant.

I love Orange amps but they've lost their minds.
14th June 2010
Old 14th June 2010
Lives for gear

Also arent high gain amps noisy enough to mic sometimes without an addition of clicking mechanical harddrives getting into your recording?
14th June 2010
Old 14th June 2010
Gear maniac

Yes, this is a real product which will be available this August, according to their website. I don't know why there's so much scepticism here of this product. The idea of a computer and amplifier all in one seems like a sound concept to me, it just remains to be seen how well implemented this will be, i.e. construction quality and therefore gigging suitability.
RTR
14th June 2010
Old 14th June 2010
RTR
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bexarametric View Post
WTF?

I don't get it. It's an amplifier that is a computer? Do I take it to gigs and check my email? Is it April 1st? I didn't realize that there is a market out there for people that want their guitar amplifier to also be their computer. Now if you will excuse me, I need to be going to my bed, which is also my bath tub. You know? So I can take baths while I sleep.

I guess I can see the concept (the recording angle), but it's really dumb.

Do I provide my own DVI monitor or is the speaker grille a magic LCD?
+1..this is pretty damn stupid....yet funny because there is someone out there that will buy it!
14th June 2010
Old 14th June 2010
Gear maniac

this is an odd product to be certain. PCs go out of date so quickly, amps not so much.
14th June 2010
Old 14th June 2010
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmontano View Post
this is an odd product to be certain. PCs go out of date so quickly, amps not so much.
I have a computer about a decade old which I use as a DAW. It works just fine. I doubt the market this product is aimed at will need to upgrade for many years.
14th June 2010
Old 14th June 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostintime View Post
I have a computer about a decade old which I use as a DAW. It works just fine. I doubt the market this product is aimed at will need to upgrade for many years.
Can we define "the market?"

What kind of musician would buy this and what would they use it for?

I think it's silly, but Orange doesn't, so I'm curious to know who their intended target is.

I'm I'm gonna talk recording even half-way serious, my studio probably won't live in a guitar amp.
15th June 2010
Old 15th June 2010
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by elambo View Post
Can we define "the market?"

What kind of musician would buy this and what would they use it for?
Guitar or other instrument playing hobbyists who want a fairly powerful computer for recording/real-time processing in their home studio without the hassle of building their own and with the advantages that having a standard platform gives you.
15th June 2010
Old 15th June 2010
The guy who made that idea a reality should be fired from orange amps. What a Fail... Wow.
15th June 2010
Old 15th June 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostintime View Post
Guitar or other instrument playing hobbyists who want a fairly powerful computer for recording/real-time processing in their home studio without the hassle of building their own and with the advantages that having a standard platform gives you.
There are countless better ways to do this, but I imagine they'll sell a handful anyway.

Still, I say "Fail!" And it has changed my perception of Orange. They've just lost their marbles.
15th June 2010
Old 15th June 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by elambo View Post
There are countless better ways to do this, but I imagine they'll sell a handful anyway.

Still, I say "Fail!" And it has changed my perception of Orange. They've just lost their marbles.
Fail because you won't be able to record the amp since the hard drive will be making too much noise.
15th June 2010
Old 15th June 2010
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Lago View Post
Fail because you won't be able to record the amp since the hard drive will be making too much noise.
Have you actually heard it? I doubt it.
15th June 2010
Old 15th June 2010
Lives for gear

I feel certain that this is going over my head.

This seems like such an outrageously terrible idea that I'm sure it must be genius.

I mean, check it out y'all: it's an actual product that reads like a page out of The Onion.

- c
15th June 2010
Old 15th June 2010
Lives for gear

hang on people, this is NOT actually a guitar amp in a box with a computer.

it is, in fact, a goddamn boombox, in a box with a computer... with Amplitube installed... that looks like an Orange amp.

"15 watt RMS per channel stereo amplifier (into 4 ohms) with 2 band EQ, - 2 x JBL 6.5” 55 Watt RMS Dual Concentric Speakers both mounted into an optimised cabinet for enhanced cooling and acoustics."

seems to use the onboard audio on the mobo too. yikes.

now lemme see, would ANYONE prefer to carry around this thing, a keyboard, a mouse, a screen, etc... or a small guitar amp and a laptop?

hmmm... FAIL.
15th June 2010
Old 15th June 2010
Gear maniac

You know, this is one of those again "it isn't for you" products. My dad is 60 and plays/records guitar in his basement. I set up a bad little box for him to do his recording on, and he quite likes it. That said, this is the kind of thing that he would flip over, and would actually inspire him to record with. I wouldn't use it, but you best believe this would go under his Christmas tree. thumbsup
15th June 2010
Old 15th June 2010
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Sonya View Post
Ditto. It seems like such a far off new level of fail, that it smells fishy. The idea is obviously terrible and confusing. What the hell am I not getting?
15th June 2010
Old 15th June 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrraaalllfff View Post
Ditto. It seems like such a far off new level of fail, that it smells fishy. The idea is obviously terrible and confusing. What the hell am I not getting?
An April Fool's joke two months too late.
15th June 2010
Old 15th June 2010

I'm not too hip these days (this is what my kids tell me anyway)

So this IS a joke right. ha ha LOL

No, yes which is it. It's a joke right?

Must be a joke - "a computer in a Guitar Combo"

It's like a "radio in a toaster" seems useful on the face of it but in reality it's just plain stupid.

T
16th June 2010
Old 16th June 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trebor Flow View Post
No, yes which is it. It's a joke right?
Maybe it wasn't meant to be, but that seems to be the case, yes.
16th June 2010
Old 16th June 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bexarametric View Post
WTF?

Sorry I am still laughing about this great comment and the product as well if it is not an April foolish thing.... crazy world if this product is real.

Or it is just one of those product where a company is digging their own grave with.

EDIT:
No this crazy idea is for real... checked their website...
16th June 2010
Old 16th June 2010
Lives for gear

This product actually does make sense. It's essentially a computer with built-in monitor speakers. I'm sure that it's not going to sound as good as buying a pair of studio monitors, but my guess is it's a bit improvement over using a computer with cheap multimedia speakers or using the speakers that are built into many computer monitors. The speakers are 2-way full-range JBls and it looks like it comes with a decent amount of software to get started recording with.

I highly doubt that they intend for people to take this thing to gigs, etc...but for home recording use it seems like a good way to start for a beginner. I do agree that it's a little goofy, though.
16th June 2010
Old 16th June 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Sonya View Post

This seems like such an outrageously terrible idea that I'm sure it must be genius.

I mean, check it out y'all: it's an actual product that reads like a page out of The Onion.

- c
Ah yes, reminds me of this classic Onion product:

http://www.theonion.com/video/sony-releases-new-stupid-piece-of..
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search