Omg killer wood qrd diffusors super affordable!!!
Old 7th December 2009
Lives for gear

Omg killer wood qrd diffusors super affordable!!!

Hey guys. I decided to start selling diffusors. Feel free to check my 100% positive feedback score of 357 on ebay (same username - Diegel) for which I've been a member for 10 years. $400 for ea. 2' x 4' x 5.5". FREE SHIPPING in the US if you buy between now and new years! And BUY 5 GET ONE FREE! They are gauranteed to be defect free or your full money back. These are good if the instrument or mix position are at least 5.5 feet from the diffusor. If you need a slimmer profile just let me know. The standard rule is 1" of depth per foot away from the diffusor. These will make much more of a difference on your recordings and mixes than better monitors or mics. I was amazed after just putting a few up at how its like having a completely new (better) room! I was searching everywhere to try and find reasonably priced wood diffusors for my own studio but I couldn't. The cheapest I found was about $400 for a 2'x2' or $800 for a 2'x4'. So I decided to build them with a friend. I followed the specs of the well depths of the rpg diffusors. I put 703 inside the wells so these diffusors absorb below the frequencies they diffuse so they also act as bass traps. And I must say they came out great. I decided to post this in case anyone wants to save themselves the hassle of making these (these are a big pain in the ass to make) and also save $$$. Cannot beat this value! This $400 offer won't be around forever so take advantage of this great offer while you can!
Attached Thumbnails
Omg killer wood qrd diffusors super affordable!!!-diffusors-001.jpg   Omg killer wood qrd diffusors super affordable!!!-diffusors-002.jpg  
Old 7th December 2009
Lives for gear

Also whats great is they are very easy to install. All you have to do is screw a cleat to the wall (using a level to make sure its straight) and then just place the diffusor right on. Can be done easily by one person.
Old 7th December 2009
Lives for gear

Very Nice!!! Where are you located?
Old 7th December 2009
Lives for gear

And if you want the same color backer so the wells will be uniform or if you want better quality wood so there will be fewer knots just let me know. Also you can choose your finish or choose to send them unfinished.
Old 7th December 2009
Lives for gear

Long Island, NY.
Old 7th December 2009
Lives for gear

If anyone is interested in buying some just pm me. I personally gaurantee they will be one of your best studio purchases or your money back!
Old 7th December 2009
Lives for gear

FREE SHIPPING until new years. After that shipping on these will be about $65 ea.
Old 7th December 2009
Lives for gear

couple more pics
Attached Thumbnails
Omg killer wood qrd diffusors super affordable!!!-diffusors-005.jpg   Omg killer wood qrd diffusors super affordable!!!-diffusors-006.jpg  
Old 7th December 2009
Lives for gear

depth?
Old 7th December 2009
Gear maniac

if you're gonna be 'professional' (good luck btw!!) then at least start by giving technical specs, diffusion ranges etc etc.
Old 7th December 2009
Lives for gear

I think it's a prank ;-)
Old 7th December 2009
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by datune View Post
I think it's a prank ;-)
really? Ok then. Don't know why someone would bother with that, but each to their own.
Old 7th December 2009
Lives for gear

Your diffusers look very nice indeed but do you know that doing or saying this out loud can lead you to troubles ?

I followed all the specs of the rpg diffusors

Sure QRD is an universal format but I'm not sure what RPG has done with the 734 diffusers regarding copyright. I know all of their other diffusers are
copyrighted.

And RPG diffusers are not as expensive as people think they are BTW
Old 7th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by datune View Post
I think it's a prank ;-)
Guys you check my 100% feedback score on ebay for which I've been a member for 10 years. Same username - Diegel.
Old 7th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry j View Post
if you're gonna be 'professional' (good luck btw!!) then at least start by giving technical specs, diffusion ranges etc etc.
Sure. The ones I made have a depth of 5.5 inches which are good if your mixing position is at least 5.5 feet away. I am about 8 or so feet away and they are working great. The standard rule of thumb is to be 1 foot away per inch of depth. So if you need a slimmer version I can do that to. As far as being totally "professional" with a whole website and stuff that may come down the road. For now I just want to sell a few on the side for a minimal price.
Old 7th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrebrito View Post
Your diffusers look very nice indeed but do you know that doing or saying this out loud can lead you to troubles ?

I followed all the specs of the rpg diffusors

Sure QRD is an universal format but I'm not sure what RPG has done with the 734 diffusers regarding copyright. I know all of their other diffusers are
copyrighted.

And RPG diffusers are not as expensive as people think they are BTW
I dont want to be in any trouble with anyone so if anyone gives me a problem I'll have no problems making some type of alterations. But I don't see this being any type of problem. I am not claiming to be rpg or making it exactly the same as there product in terms of type of wood and thickness of the dividers, etc... Besides there are so many copies of products out there. How bout the whole apex 460/Avantone CV-12/Telefunken M16, etc... thing.
Old 7th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zak7 View Post
depth?
Mine are 5.5 inches. If you need a slimmer profile just let me know. Standard rule is 1" of depth per foot of distance from the diffusor.
Old 7th December 2009
Lives for gear

Lets see.. 6 homemade diffuser panels with potential problems with workmanship (gaps) etc for $2500.. OR... 6 RPG 734 diffusers guaranteed to work fine: Acoustic Products : Diffusor's - 690 GBP = 1127 USD at the moment.

EDIT: didn't check the exact price, it's here: Acoustic Products : QRD 734 - so it's 6*126.55=1240 usd. Sceptical smiley still there.
Old 7th December 2009
Lives for gear

The cheap RPG ones are ugly MDF finish. Also those prices you linked are pounds, not dollars. So ~$2000 for 6 RPG MDF units. About $360 per for veneered and stained 2'x4' units.

Regarding build, this stuff isn't exactly rocket science. I'm sure Diegel's will work fine. They look good, though maybe you should offer another wood type as well with pictures for people that don't want knots. eg. Maple.
Old 7th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupo View Post
Lets see.. 6 homemade diffuser panels with potential problems with workmansship (gaps) etc for $2500.. OR... 6 RPG 734 diffusers guaranteed to work fine: Acoustic Products : Diffusor's - 690 GBP = 1127 USD at the moment.

EDIT: didn't check the exact price, it's here: Acoustic Products : QRD 734 - so it's 6*126.55=1240 usd. Sceptical smiley still there.
First off THOSE ARE 2'x2'! Mine are 2'x4'. Secondly theirs are made of mdf not wood and those cheap ones are unfinished. Thirdly to get the ones with the nice finish (like the one in their picture) cost about $330 for a 2'x2' which means $660 for a 2' x 4'. So for 6 after shipping from the UK to the US (which I'm sure will be significantly more than $65) will still cost about $4500 or so. And lastly mine are also gauranteed to work fine or your full money back. I wouldn't send anything out that I wouldn't be happy with myself (gaps, etc..).
Old 7th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobius.media View Post
The cheap RPG ones are ugly MDF finish. Also those prices you linked are pounds, not dollars. So ~$2000 for 6 RPG MDF units.

Regarding build, this stuff isn't exactly rocket science. I'm sure Diegel's will work fine. They look good, though maybe you should offer another wood type as well with pictures for people that don't want knots. eg. Maple.
I'll get to that soon. For right now I'm just trying to keep the cost down.
Old 7th December 2009
Lives for gear

FREE SHIPPING if you buy any between now and new years. Can't beat that!
Old 7th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diegel View Post
First off THOSE ARE 2'x2'!
No. The price I looked at and quoted is for 2x4 of those slightly smaller "european feet". 1200mm=3.93 feet. Price difference between 2x2 and 2x4 is only 38 dollars per unit, not twice the price! Laquering is 51 dollar extra, painting is 95 USD more. Which adds up to 1810 dollars total for 6 units with paint.

Quote:
Secondly theirs are made of mdf not wood.
Good point. Lets see what the very most expensive wood option turn out to be:
Code:
6* (VenMaple £202.37 + Laquer Finish £31.22)
= 1401.54 GBP = 2289.83 USD.
That's a nice wood finish! The cheapest is at £183.98. With laquer, it's 2110 USD for six units fully done.

Quote:
Thirdly to get the ones with the nice finish (like the one in their picture) cost about $330 for a 2'x2' which means $660 for a 2' x 4'. And lastly mine are also gauranteed to work fine or your full money back.
Where are you getting those prices from?

Quote:
The cheap RPG ones are ugly MDF finish. Also those prices you linked are pounds, not dollars. So ~$2000 for 6 RPG MDF units. About $360 per for veneered and stained 2'x4' units.
MDF and prices adressed above. Prices I linked to are translated into USD in my posts using the current google currency converter rate.

Quote:
Regarding build, this stuff isn't exactly rocket science.
No, it isn't, but it IS easy to get excessive absorption if there are gaps in well dividers etc. It should be sealed tightly to avoid unwanted losses.

Please folks, I'm not out to get Diegel in any way. I just can't understand how this can be a good offer. Please enlighten me if there's anything I miss! The prices I've quoted is from the very first hit on google. There are perhaps better offers to be found? Haven't checked.

Caveat emptor.

Andreas Nordenstam
Old 7th December 2009
Lives for gear

Please post a direct link to where you are getting these prices. I followed your link and see very different prices than what you are talking about.
Old 7th December 2009
Lives for gear

Also that wood finish is just to make it look like wood. It is still mdf from what I see.
Old 7th December 2009
Lives for gear

Same as earlier:
Quote:
Old 7th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Also that wood finish is just to make it look like wood. It is still mdf from what I see.
That's an interesting topic.

Have studied a bit on diffusers and have seen some anectodal notes on materials affecting sound output in odd ways. But it's been purely subjective notes, haven't seen any testing at all. Except for the obvious stuff like density of material. Which should, for the frequencies in interest, give the exact same practical result using MDF or normal wood. I'm not an expert, but as far as I can see, there isn't much else to affect the sound beyond the cognitive(placebo) factor.

Would love to to proved wrong on this though!
Old 7th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Same as earlier:
Ok I see now. But you forgot to add 15% VAT plus around $500 or so shipping to US. which means 6 of them still come out to be about $3000 or so for the nicer finish ones. and you are still getting mdf not wood. I'm offering 6 for flat rate of $2400 with real wood. And just to kick things off to a good start. I'll even offer the 6th one free. So now its only $2000 for 6. So you will be saving $1000 and getting real wood!
Old 7th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Ok I see now. But you forgot to add 15% VAT plus around $500 or so shipping to US. which means 6 of them still come out to be about $3000 or so for the nicer finish ones. and you are still getting mdf not wood. I'm offering 6 for flat rate of $2400 with real wood. And just to kick things off to a good start. I'll even offer the 6th one free. So now its only $2000 for 6. So you will be saving $1000 and getting real wood!
<shrug> VAT comes and goes. I would have ensured there is no UK VAT (it's not a local sale so it shouldn't be), pay the normal Norwegian VAT at 25% when importing and then write that off against my incomming VAT. Accounting as usual.

Didn't find anything but $call prices at first try in US online stores. It'll probably work out to be cheaper to buy local than to import from UK retailer. RPG inc is US based with a big dealer network. Shipping shouldn't be a big concern.

Am a big fan of diffusers and am all for any incentive that brings more of them into the world! It's just that, IMHO, a copy should be significantly cheaper.. 'Nuff said about that now.

Good luck with your venture!
Old 7th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
<shrug> VAT comes and goes. I would have ensured there is no UK VAT (it's not a local sale so it shouldn't be), pay the normal Norwegian VAT at 25% when importing and then write that off against my incomming VAT. Accounting as usual.

Didn't find anything but $call prices at first try in US online stores. It'll probably work out to be cheaper to buy local than to import from UK retailer. RPG inc is US based with a big dealer network. Shipping shouldn't be a big concern.

Am a big fan of diffusers and am all for any incentive that brings more of them into the world! It's just that, IMHO, a copy should be significantly cheaper.. 'Nuff said about that now.

Good luck with your venture!
I did call those US places. I originally did not want to have to go through the labor myself. They were significantly more money than the ones from the UK as I recall. Thats when I decided to build my own. But thank you. I am just trying to help people that are in similar situations as I was.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search