Gearslutz.com

Gearslutz.com (http://www.gearslutz.com/board/)
-   Product Alerts older than 2 months (http://www.gearslutz.com/board/product-alerts-older-than-2-months/)
-   -   Mackie® Onyx-i™ Series Mixers with Deep FireWire Integration (http://www.gearslutz.com/board/product-alerts-older-than-2-months/421592-mackie-onyx-i-series-mixers-deep-firewire-integration.html)

Obitheincredible 3rd August 2009 01:32 AM

Mackie and Pro Tools?!

Sonic State - News (Video Item) Mackie Cracks The Digidesign Code, New, secret driver pairs new Onyx i and ProTools M-Powered

Really? Thoughts?

(See podcast / interview with Mackie on page 2 - Jules GS Admin)

B.Santillan 3rd August 2009 01:50 AM

I can't see this doing anything for mackie.

I can't imagine that the mackie stuff is a big enough step up from the digidesign and m-audio stuff to be real competition.

I think the type of customer that they're trying to get is the type of customer that would just buy the m-audio lightbridge or whatever it's called and run whatever gear/converters they want. Or the type of customer that already runs good convertors through lightpipe into their 002's and 003's, and probably even the m-audio units.

So now as far as converters go there's going to be the low end (m-audio) and slightly above low end (mackie and the 002's/ 003's) and I dunno, the lightbridge would probably be a little above that.

I just don't see the point, unless they price it considerably cheaper than the m-audio and digidesign stuff.

aussie_techie 3rd August 2009 02:01 AM

I can imagine alot of headache with no support from either company.

awakened 3rd August 2009 02:08 AM

i say just give up the ghost and let us use whatever we want already. although, protools mackie powered is welcome game

Careyn 3rd August 2009 10:35 AM

So... mackie is teaming up with digidesign???

A dark, mysterious box arrived at Sonic Towers containing a ransom style note, a video and a brand new (yet to be announced) Onyx 820i ''Premium'' Analog Mixer with Perkins EQ and Firewire , plus what turned out to be a bit of a bombshell.

Also in the box was a boxed copy of Digidesign (or should that be Avid?) Pro Tools 8 M-Powered My initial thoughts were: What's that doing in there, they won't work together? But then the penny began to drop - I can be a bit slow sometimes.

What Mackie have done is written a driver - the Mackie Universal Driver V1.0, which appears to circumvent the ProTools/Digidesign hardware protection that ties Digidesign or M-Audio hardware to M-Powered software. Essentially they have cracked the code. This means that you can use the new Mackie Onyx i Series mixers as the audio hardware component of a Pro Tools LE system, using it as the audio I/O, yes, that's right, you did read that correctly. I've not had a chance to extensively test this at the time of writing, but I intend to take a closer look.

There is no official word on this for now, so we'll have to wait "a few weeks". Mackie have yet to make an announcement. It is not clear whether this is sanctioned by Avid or not.

jkthtyrt

psycho_monkey 3rd August 2009 10:38 AM

already been posted in music computers...I think it's been reverse-engineered.

Benmrx 3rd August 2009 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by psycho_monkey (Post 4438344)
already been posted in music computers...I think it's been reverse-engineered.

Huh..... who...... what!!!

Sorry, my search skills are failing me. Where's that thread at?

Ol' Betsey 3rd August 2009 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Benmrx (Post 4438372)
Huh..... who...... what!!!

Sorry, my search skills are failing me. Where's that thread at?

It seems they've been deleted. Not sure why as they haven't even been taken down form the DUC but, oh well...

Here's the link:

Sonic State

R.

Benmrx 3rd August 2009 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ol' Betsey (Post 4438395)
It seems they've been deleted. Not sure why as they haven't even been taken down form the DUC but, oh well...

Here's the link:

Sonic State

R.

Kind of strange the thread's been deleted IMO. The video itself didn't show anything except a pair of outputs from PT hitting the mackie mixer. Not too hard to do. I could post a video showing a pair of outputs hitting the Neotek here..abduction

But..... it's a dirty job and someones gotta do it. Avid has certainly had the chance. Especially when that M-Powered 7.3 "bug" was figured out and people were getting 32 I/O.

Whitecat 3rd August 2009 12:54 PM

Pro Tools M-Powered = "Mackie"-powered?

Ridiculous video, but you get the point.

Available September according to one UK retailer.

LoopQuantum 3rd August 2009 02:09 PM

Uh-oh.....

This is going to get ugly.....

Whitecat 3rd August 2009 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoopQuantum (Post 4438713)
Uh-oh.....

This is going to get ugly.....

We don't know yet whether this is Avid-approved or not. It very well might be, and they're just guerrilla-marketing it as being a dirty trick. Time will tell...

LoopQuantum 3rd August 2009 02:29 PM

Same scenario, really, as Apogee and Lynx making their interfaces directly connect with PTHD cards. Avid doesn't approve.

I'd be interested to see if they bring the hammer down on Mackie, or if they let it ride, as this would likely sell more copies of M-Powered....

Whitecat 3rd August 2009 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoopQuantum (Post 4438748)
Same scenario, really, as Apogee and Lynx making their interfaces directly connect with PTHD cards. Avid doesn't approve.

I'd be interested to see if they bring the hammer down on Mackie, or if they let it ride, as this would likely sell more copies of M-Powered....

... and fewer M-Audio interfaces, potentially.

I, for one, would love to hear an official comment from Avid though on the matter.

LoopQuantum 3rd August 2009 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by terminal3 (Post 4438753)
... and fewer M-Audio interfaces, potentially.

I, for one, would love to hear an official comment from Avid though on the matter.

I got wind of this a little while ago too, but wasn't gonna be the one to break it to the interwebs...hittt

Software is MUCH more profitable to a manufacturer than hardware.

Avid, Digi, get in here! kfhkh

Jules 3rd August 2009 02:49 PM

So Wednesday FedEx tried to deliver a package to me from Mackie - its being redelivered tomorrow..

grimm

Dubster 3rd August 2009 02:50 PM

I would assume that, if this is legit, then it would be something Avid has worked out with Mackie. If it is a partnering situation, on the one hand, it seems like a kind of dumb and tone-deaf, if harmless move. On the other hand, it might be a way for a hurting Mackie to boost sales and for Avid to move more M-Powered PT licenses (probably with a large profit margin) and capture a younger demographic that might otherwise start with Cubase LE or Garageband - sort of a win/win in that way. One thing is clear to me, Avid needs to finally address the lack of automatic plug-in delay compensation in the next release (and maybe update the way automatic delay compensation works in HD as well). Anyhow, I'm curious as to whether this is for real or not.

Jules 3rd August 2009 02:56 PM

Fedex is delivering me something from Mackie tomorrow...
grimm
Thy tried to deliver it last wednesday..

sound_music 3rd August 2009 02:57 PM

the intrigue is killing me! mr. mackie, international man of mystery...hidz

Goliath|Audio 3rd August 2009 03:59 PM

Since the compatibility is written into the driver and not the hardware, this makes it potentially feasible to crack. I am surprised it didn't happen sooner.

author 3rd August 2009 05:20 PM

Please enlighten me -- why the fuss?

Why would anybody buy crappy Mackie hardware and crippled Avid software to go with it?

HD without the dongle would KILL Logic, Cubase and the rest -- but *this*? mezed

Ol' Betsey 3rd August 2009 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by author (Post 4439154)
Please enlighten me -- why the fuss?

Why would anybody buy crappy Mackie hardware and crippled Avid software to go with it?

HD without the dongle would KILL Logic, Cubase and the rest -- but *this*? mezed

I think a Mackie Onyx 1640 with Firewire Card (16 channel) straight to PTMP would be (is - for other software) a great, nice sounding, small but simple, portable rig.

I wouldn't necessarily say it's fuss-worthy in the high-end but it would make me (and I'm sure a few others) happy to see.

I've done three sessions in the last year with the 1640/Firewire combo and had to track in Logic in order to use it. I like Logic for writing but still trust PT more for tracking in a live scenario.

R.

author 3rd August 2009 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ol' Betsey (Post 4439193)
I wouldn't necessarily say it's fuss-worthy in the high-end but it would make me (and I'm sure a few others) happy to see.

OK, I see... hope it'll work out nicely then.

I'll wait for the HD version, though.

Goliath|Audio 3rd August 2009 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by author (Post 4439154)

HD is not a dongle. That is like saying that the Core 2 Duo chip in my computer is a dongle for my computer. Pro Tools is the means to access the hardware DSP and interfaces.

author 3rd August 2009 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goliath|Audio (Post 4439307)
Pro Tools is the means to access the hardware DSP and interfaces.

I don't think anybody really needs all that stuff anymore.

But their software without the dongle... like I said, it would destroy any other daw on the planet.

maestrowick 3rd August 2009 06:44 PM

I hope you can use it! Dang it, makes like a lot better!

LoopQuantum 3rd August 2009 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fman (Post 4439547)
Big plus one. On all points.

yeah, that.

BTW, you have piercing eyes.

Benmrx 3rd August 2009 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jules (Post 4438788)
So Wednesday FedEx tried to deliver a package to me from Mackie - its being redelivered tomorrow..

grimm

Keep us posted...... PAH, PAh, Pah Pleeeeease.hittt

Whitecat 3rd August 2009 09:44 PM

Get a room, you two.

s.d.finley 3rd August 2009 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by terminal3 (Post 4439906)
Get a room, you two.

LOL! We should all chip in! True luv @ GS. I kid....I kid....

IMHO mackie isnt an upgrade from the maudio hardware....mezed

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.