East West Hollywood Strings
red1
3rd July 2009
Old 3rd July 2009
Gear Head

East West Hollywood Strings

Just saw this at he KVR site. No price yet though.

EastWest/Quantum Leap has announced a new virtual instrument: Hollywood Strings, a collection of orchestral string instruments with "unprecedented" control over sound and performance. Pricing and release information will be announced shortly.

Recording for Hollywood Strings took place at EastWest Studio 1, the same studio where many Hollywood soundtracks and television themes were recorded with a live orchestra. Heading this project were co-producers Doug Rogers, Nick Phoenix and Thomas Bergersen and sound engineer Shawn Murphy.

Joining Rogers and Phoenix as co-producer on Hollywood Strings is Thomas Bergersen, a composer and orchestrator and Phoenix's partner in trailer music company Two Steps From Hell. His extensive experience in composing for orchestras and with virtual orchestras made him a perfect fit for the team of Rogers and Phoenix.

Shawn Murphy, is an Academy Award, C.A.S. (Cinema Audio Society), BAFTA, and Emmy award-winning sound engineer who has recorded and mixed the scores for more than 300 feature films including ET: the Extra-Terrestrial, Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom, Star Wars, Jurassic Park, all five Harry Potter films, Titanic, The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, The Bourne Ultimatum, Minority Report, Saving Private Ryan, Munich, The Passion Of The Christ, X-Men: The Last Stand, Memoirs of a Geisha and Ice Age.

"Murphy was an obvious choice for this project; who better to obtain that quintessential Hollywood sound other than someone with his credits," says Rogers. "Hollywood Strings looks to expand on the success we achieved with EastWest/Quantum Leap Symphonic OrchestrA by providing a perfect large scoring stage sound and a more intimate scoring stage sound with divisi capability."

"The sound of these virtual strings are as good as it gets," says Phoenix. "We have one of the top sound engineers in the business, a famous and beautiful sounding recording studio, the most incredible selection of microphones available, the best analog and digital recording equipment, and top Hollywood string players - how could we go wrong?"

"I've used many virtual orchestras over the last decade, including some I developed with other composers, and some I developed myself. With each new development, I got one step closer to my ideal compositional tool." says Bergersen. "Hollywood Strings includes features that I consider necessary if you want to create realistic orchestral strings on your DAW."

According to EastWest, Hollywood Strings has many groundbreaking features not found in any other virtual strings collection. Finger position is, for the first time, controllable by the user, so they can play as far up the strings as they want, and get a fuller, more romantic, Hollywood sound. Vibrato intensity and extensive dynamics are controllable by the user. Extensive multi-dynamic true legato has been sampled for all sections in three different categories: slurred, portamento, and bow change. This results in unsurpassed legato performance that has never been available in the sample world, says EastWest. Hollywood Strings has five user-controllable microphone positions including main pickup (Decca tree), mid pickup, close pickup, surround pickup, and an alternate vintage circa 1945 RCA ribbon room pickup.

Articulations:

Multiple finger positions for all sections including open strings.
3 unique styles of legato interval sampling, including never before sampled bow change legato, slurred legato, and portamento sliding legato, sampled at 3, 3 and 2 dynamics respectively, all with speed control.
5 dynamics of up- and down-bowed sustains.
Multiple vibrato intensities.
Up- and down-bowed notes.
Extensive runs.
Playable runs.
Powerful scripting.
Other articulations:
Bartók pizzicato
Col legno
Detaché
Flautando
Harmonics
Marcato
Measured tremolo
On-the-string staccato
Pizzicato
Repetitions
Richochet
Spiccato
Staccatissmo
Staccato
Sul ponticello tremolo
Tremolo
Trills (major and minor)
Instrumentation (All sections were sampled with wide extended ranges including almost 4 octaves for violins):

16 1st Violins (9/7 divisi mode).
14 2nd Violins (8/6 divisi mode).
10 Violas (6/4 divisi mode).
10 Cellos (6/4 divisi mode).
7 Basses (4/3 divisi mode).
Recording:

Recorded in the famous EastWest Studios 1.
Neve 8078 mixing console.
Meitner ADC converters.
5 user-mixable microphone positions:
Main - Decca tree (Neumann M50s) and Brauner VM1 KHE (Klaus Heyne Edition) outriggers.
Mid - Neumann KMi, Neumann KM 254, Sony C37A, Neumann U-47.
Close - AKG C12, Neumann U47, Neumann U67, Nordic Audio Labs NU-47.
Surround - Neumann KM 83.
Alternate Room - Vintage RCA44 Ribbon.
6th July 2009
Old 6th July 2009
Lives for gear

Nobody responded to this product thread? I think this library has got some pretty cool ideas, basically much like combining LASS with VSL. But I suspect it's going to be pretty convoluted since the articulations/mic positions?

Quote:
says Phoenix. "We have one of the top sound engineers in the business, a famous and beautiful sounding recording studio, the most incredible selection of microphones available, the best analog and digital recording equipment, and top Hollywood string players - how could we go wrong?"
No, it could go all wrong, clever programmer is missing here.
6th July 2009
Old 6th July 2009
Lives for gear

Sounds like an ambitious and interesting project. The 5 pic position thing, and especially the up and down bowings could potentially give great results. Sound like it's going to be a large library. Can't wait to hear some examples
6th July 2009
Old 6th July 2009
Lives for gear

Sounds like they announced this vaporware early to try and cut out the competition with LASS. I'd go for LASS just for it being Kontakt and not PLAY. It sounds pretty awesome too.
7th July 2009
Old 7th July 2009
Lives for gear

Wow, why so much negativity

DUDES!!! Shawn F-ing MURPHY recorded it!!! It IS gonna be sick.
10th July 2009
Old 10th July 2009
Lives for gear

So this will be a all-new sample library and not some 'rehashed EWQLSO' samples...? Just asking... to make sure.
10th July 2009
Old 10th July 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Nobody responded to this product thread?
That´s because everyone is still pissed off about PLAY!

I´m sure the samples will be great, but PLAY for me is still a bit buggy. Hopefully it will be a killer product and hopefully they´ll work on PLAY some more. We´ll see...
29th July 2009
Old 29th July 2009
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob800 View Post

I´m sure the samples will be great, but PLAY for me is still a bit buggy. Hopefully it will be a killer product and hopefully they´ll work on PLAY some more. We´ll see...

I've have all products from estwest tonehammer and projectsam ..and actually i didn't heard any sound like real orchestral sound ...and I don't think that hollywood strings can replace (in sound quality all library) .....If they (thomas and nick) come out with a real sound (like twostepsfromhell) so they give us a big improvement to us ..but I think these ne library is just a commercial
29th July 2009
Old 29th July 2009
Lives for gear

Definitely interested, but without audio examples it's hard to get too excited.

Specs are one thing, sound and playbillity another.

Though I've liked some of QL's stuff, and think a lot of the Orchestral Library is pretty good, I do sometimes find it too big and hard to get to sound right in a full mix.
And imho, programming hasn't always been there strongest suit, but that's just me. I like to get into a library and do some custom tweaking/programming, which is not as easy with the Play stuff.

And I was severely burned with Storm drum 2 it was buggy as hell... but to be fair I haven't tried the recent Play v2 version though; I ended up resampling some choice patches to Kontakt instead.

But I'm always looking forward to be won over, and if this sounds as good as it looks on paper, it could be one of the best yet..who knows?

Bring on the mp3's!!!!

Cheers,

Joe
29th July 2009
Old 29th July 2009
Gear addict

LASS, Cinematic strings, GOS2 annonced (With Gary's usual timeframe ), and now this one, which might be the best one yet

I was almost ready to buy VSL strings, but I'll wait untill this one is out, before I make up my mind.
29th July 2009
Old 29th July 2009
Lives for gear

They have a lot of work to do if they want to compete with VSL. That library is incredible. EWQLSO was nowhere near it.
29th July 2009
Old 29th July 2009
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by elambo View Post
They have a lot of work to do if they want to compete with VSL. That library is incredible. EWQLSO was nowhere near it.
VSL produces great quality stuff, for sure, but what about EWQLSO is nowhere near it? Both offer very useful tools.
30th July 2009
Old 30th July 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xestenz View Post
VSL produces great quality stuff, for sure, but what about EWQLSO is nowhere near it? Both offer very useful tools.
The sound. A composition with VSL instruments (and a great reverb of course) sounds like a real orchestra. EW doesn't quite pull that off.

The sound of the hall inherent to EW samples is great, and I love the work Keith Johnson has done, the guy who recorded EW, but that library sounds a bit plastic by comparison.
30th July 2009
Old 30th July 2009
Gear addict

I've used EWQLSO gold for a number of tracks and think it's great but, like someone else here, found PLAY (SD2) to be quite buggy and put a huge strain on my Mac Quad for fairly small patches. I'm sure that these new strings sound great but it's just the player that makes me think twice. The recent demo of Cinematic Strings got me quite excited (and they play in Kontakt) but I'll try to demo these East West ones before buying.
31st July 2009
Old 31st July 2009
Lives for gear

Not much interest in this topic. I think that's partially due to the number of people who have been turned off by EW in the past. Many of those people will never give EW another chance.
31st July 2009
Old 31st July 2009
Lives for gear

Well, having some demos to hear would go a long way to generating some buzz. I imagine they are working on that now, or should be if not.
15th August 2009
Old 15th August 2009
Gear interested

The EWQL gold could never match up to VSL performance capabilites and now the LASS demos must be making those Austrian lads nervous too !..EWHS will have an uphill task to match the potential of the other two competent monsters i.e LASS and VSL.
infact the discounts on soundsonline.com indicates the sale popularity of EWL: products... 67% discount .. whoa!
15th August 2009
Old 15th August 2009
Lives for gear

Gonna be interesting
but in my opinion nothing beats a real orchestra not even close yet
Things like vibes and timpani sound good but when it comes to strings its just not there yet
16th August 2009
Old 16th August 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob800 View Post

19th January 2010
Old 19th January 2010
Lives for gear

There is a 20 minute or so video on the site now, with plenty of playing/examples. All I can say is - this thing sounds great. 532 GB for the full set. Looks like it will certainly give the other sets a good run for their money and quality.
21st January 2010
Old 21st January 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by feck View Post
Looks like it will certainly give the other sets a good run for their money and quality.
I second that. Saw the video and it really does sound great. Compared to VSL, Hollywood seems a bit less "natural" or "raw", it sounds "already finished" in a positive way. I can't really put my finger on it.
The long list on articulations is also really impressive. The "fast legatos" put out a sound/effect really close to a real instrument. And the jete (ricoché/bouncing) stuff is something that strings do well, and HW seems to do it.

Also, they've done seperate second violin sections (which VSL does not) thumbsup thumbsup
21st January 2010
Old 21st January 2010
Lives for gear

Very impressive indeed.

Wonder how mucho?...

Probably big mucho. $$$
21st January 2010
Old 21st January 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by noiseflaw View Post
Wonder how mucho?...
Think I saw the price somewhere on their site.
21st January 2010
Old 21st January 2010
Lives for gear

Prices on the site, $1495 pre order. Comes supplied on a drive.

Stef
22nd January 2010
Old 22nd January 2010
Lives for gear

Personally, I think even the preorder price is outrageous. I guess EastWest have to fund more lavish Rococo accoutrements for their metrosexual studio.

22nd January 2010
Old 22nd January 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowak View Post
Prices on the site, $1495 pre order. Comes supplied on a drive.

Stef
So if I get it on DVD instead of a hd, can I save 100 bucks?
22nd January 2010
Old 22nd January 2010
Lives for gear

The miserly company ship the samples on an internal hard drive and add a disclaimer that it should only be used to store the samples and not be used foe streaming.

Wtf - for that money you think they could have gone the extra centimeter and found a large stock of hard drives robust enough to just install - stream - plug & play...

tutt
22nd January 2010
Old 22nd January 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by noiseflaw View Post
The miserly company ship the samples on an internal hard drive and add a disclaimer that it should only be used to store the samples and not be used foe streaming.

Wtf - for that money you think they could have gone the extra centimeter and found a large stock of hard drives robust enough to just install - stream - plug & play...

tutt

In their defense, it does save a lot of time installing from a sata drive than from dozens of dvds.

On the other hand, I agree with you on shipping a drive that we could just plug in and use.
22nd January 2010
Old 22nd January 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animus View Post
Personally, I think even the preorder price is outrageous. I guess EastWest have to fund more lavish Rococo accoutrements for their metrosexual studio.

Haha, I like that. You do realize that it is 532 GB of samples though, right? There isn't another set out there that I know of that comes close to that size for that price.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search