Pro Tools User Survey
New Reply
Subscribe
stingray1122
30th January 2009
Old 30th January 2009
Gear nut

Pro Tools User Survey

We've launched a new survey that will be running throughout the month of February. This survey is intended to help use gather useful information about your system, workflow and new feature requests.

There is also a sweepstakes for US residents (legal stipulations prevent us from expanding beyond the US for the sweepstakes). One participant will be chosen at random to receive an Mbox 2 Mini.

If you would like to participate in this survey please follow the link below. Also feel free to share this link with friends and colleagues.

Pro Tools LE User Survey

Thanks!

RayT
Hardware Product Manager
Avid/Digidesign/M-Audio

Note to moderators: If this is in violation of the rules feel free to remove this post.
30th January 2009
Old 30th January 2009
Lives for gear

Yay, another change to get my voice heard about the lack of ADC, EuCon, or VST support!

Maybe not... looks like they're considering designing a new control surface and/or interface for LE.
30th January 2009
Old 30th January 2009
Lives for gear

I got that email too. Wow, an MBox Mini?!?! Almost as bad as being offered $2 to fill out an Arbitron diary.

I think I'm feeling a little cynical today.

Ringtone Mafia (Link only works on iDevices)
31st January 2009
Old 31st January 2009

Yes looks like another Control Surface slant (on the survey) also number of I/O.
Could be more and bigger LE systems.
Chiconcuac
2nd February 2009
Old 2nd February 2009
Chiconcuac

And what about Europe?

Can we participate too?

thank you.

Richie.
2nd February 2009
Old 2nd February 2009
GS Community Manager

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiconcuac View Post
And what about Europe?

Can we participate too?

thank you.

Richie.
You can participate, but you can't win the Mbox...

I did the survey to give them an earful in the final text box about the pretty overall poor quality of LE interfaces. Forgot to mention ADC but I'm sure one of you will have remembered.
2nd February 2009
Old 2nd February 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by terminal3 View Post
You can participate, but you can't win the Mbox...

I did the survey to give them an earful in the final text box about the pretty overall poor quality of LE interfaces. Forgot to mention ADC but I'm sure one of you will have remembered.
Me too!
2nd February 2009
Old 2nd February 2009
Gear addict

plus 1 for eucon support... best protocoll out there...

its sick how well its integrated in logic.

i prefer pt as a daw but with the eucon i find myself working more and more in logic

"After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music." - Aldous Huxley, 1931
2nd February 2009
Old 2nd February 2009
Gear maniac

Is HyperControl the answer?

For those of you wanting Eucon support.....

Check out the new M-Audio Axiom Pro controllers.

They use a new protocol called HyperControl. Goes far beyond HUI.

I believe this software could lead to products much like the Euphonix MC-Control and MC-Mix.
2nd February 2009
Old 2nd February 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vocalvoodoo View Post
I got that email too. Wow, an MBox Mini?!?! Almost as bad as being offered $2 to fill out an Arbitron diary.

I think I'm feeling a little cynical today.
Eh. I filled it out. I figured if I won I could give it to my uncle so we can work on stuff together.
2nd February 2009
Old 2nd February 2009
GS Community Manager

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightjar View Post
For those of you wanting Eucon support.....

Check out the new M-Audio Axiom Pro controllers.

They use a new protocol called HyperControl. Goes far beyond HUI.

I believe this software could lead to products much like the Euphonix MC-Control and MC-Mix.
Yes, but will Avid license it? That is the million dollar question.
2nd February 2009
Old 2nd February 2009
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by terminal3 View Post
Yes, but will Avid license it? That is the million dollar question.
They don't need to license it.

Just let M-Audio build it and I'll buy it.... if it really is something on the order of a Euphonix MC Control.
2nd February 2009
Old 2nd February 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by stingray1122
This survey is intended to help use gather useful information about your system, workflow and new feature requests.
I guess no one could be bothered to read the plethora of new feature requests already posted on the DUC, huh? Digi, the future has been knocking for a long time. It, like me is gonna get tired and move on. I filled out the survey, but am too apathetic to think that this time things will be different.
stingray1122
2nd February 2009
Old 2nd February 2009
Gear nut

Quote:
I guess no one could be bothered to read the plethora of new feature requests already posted on the DUC, huh? Digi, the future has been knocking for a long time. It, like me is gonna get tired and move on. I filled out the survey, but am too apathetic to think that this time things will be different.
I'd like to point out that we are also looking at all the request on various forums. Part of the trouble is justifying the business case to add certain features when we don't have an idea as to how many of our customers really want said feature. The survey allows us to float new ideas, confirm older ones and get a sense of which features are a priority for most users. It also provides hard data to present to the executive team when we have to make tough calls on products and features.

Since there are different people involved in the company today and different responsibilities we want to make sure everyone has the correct priorities when it comes to new features and product design.

Quote:
Yay, another change to get my voice heard about the lack of ADC, EuCon, or VST support!
ADC is practically stamped into the foreheads of every Engineer and Product Manager here. We've heard you on this one and I felt it's so important and requested that it would be a wast of time to put it into the survey. We know this feature needs to happen.

EuCon and VST support is less likely. For EuCon I'd look towards the Hyper Control comments that were mentioned here. This could potentially be a great platform for improved control surface funcitonality. I'll float the idea of both EuCon and VST support but doubt there will be any traction with it.

RayT
3rd February 2009
Old 3rd February 2009
Lives for gear

Yeah, VST is probably a pipe dream... but even if could at least make is so the scribble strips on the EuCon use all the characters instead of only 4 I'd be grateful for a step in a good direction...

Good to hear about the ADC being well-stamped!
3rd February 2009
Old 3rd February 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by stingray1122 View Post
ADC is practically stamped into the foreheads of every Engineer and Product Manager here. We've heard you on this one and I felt it's so important and requested that it would be a wast of time to put it into the survey. We know this feature needs to happen.
How about 64-bit OS support? 3.2GB of RAM with a 2GB max executable size is looking pretty slim these days.
stingray1122
3rd February 2009
Old 3rd February 2009
Gear nut

Quote:
How about 64-bit OS support? 3.2GB of RAM with a 2GB max executable size is looking pretty slim these days.
This is also on our radar. Since Snow Leopard and Windows 7 are both 64-bit OSs we'll need to do something in order to support them.

RayT
3rd February 2009
Old 3rd February 2009
Lives for gear

Cool deal. I'm looking forward to it. Thanks.
3rd February 2009
Old 3rd February 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by recall View Post
Me too!
Me three. I gave them a big BLA promo. Nate thanked me!

Lou
3rd February 2009
Old 3rd February 2009
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by stingray1122 View Post

EuCon and VST support is less likely. For EuCon I'd look towards the Hyper Control comments that were mentioned here. This could potentially be a great platform for improved control surface funcitonality. I'll float the idea of both EuCon and VST support but doubt there will be any traction with it.

RayT
well, i'm pretty sure you wont since m-audio is inhouse and eucon comes from a competitor both on the controller level and large format consoles. but hey. it can't hurt to ask.

did you try the eucon format in logic? its the best implemented protocol as of right now not counting icon/pthd
3rd February 2009
Old 3rd February 2009
Gear nut

re: hypercontrol

Ray will this be backported to projectmix and the like? Will other manufacturers be able to license it?

Thanks!
stingray1122
3rd February 2009
Old 3rd February 2009
Gear nut

Quote:
Ray will this be backported to projectmix and the like? Will other manufacturers be able to license it?
There are currently no plans to update the Project Mix I/O. Opening up the protocol for other manufactures doesn't really fall into my area of expertise. We are just scratching the surface of possibilities of Hyper Control with the Axiom Pro and I have no idea what the future may hold.

Quote:
did you try the eucon format in logic?
I've played around with the EuCon format but I haven't dived that deep into it yet. We'll definitely spend more time with the various options that are available before deciding what the next steps should be for our products.

RayT
3rd February 2009
Old 3rd February 2009
Lives for gear

Hey Ray, while I've ragged about the pricing of the Axiom Pro in another thread, I appreciate that you've got your ear to the ground and your realistic, non-hyped input. You're like an advance scout for the Digi cavalry in Indian country, right?
4th February 2009
Old 4th February 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by stingray1122
we don't have an idea as to how many of our customers really want said feature
So why am I finding this survey online instead of in my inbox? Digi has my email address and they know I am a registered user. Seems like many of those filling out the survey are as likely to be prospects or users of other products than acutal Digi customers. I really feel that Digi has abandoned their userbase. I've been a loyal customer for many years now and I'm still asking for the same features I have been since the 001 came out. Don't understand why nobody hears.

So what's the word on more I/O and bypassing the Digi converters altogether (on all channels)?
stingray1122
4th February 2009
Old 4th February 2009
Gear nut

Quote:
You're like an advance scout for the Digi cavalry in Indian country, right?
Hahaha, thanks for the laugh!

Quote:
So why am I finding this survey online instead of in my inbox?
I received a list of registered LE users and the survey was sent out to this list before it was posted on the forums. If you are a registered LE user and didn't receive the email it means I either didn't get an accurate list or at some point you requested not to receive this type of email from Digidesign.

I suspected this would happen which is why we've posted the survey on a few forums to spread the word.

Quote:
So what's the word on more I/O and bypassing the Digi converters altogether (on all channels)?
I am not legally allowed to talk about what we may or may not be working on. The questions relating to I/O in the survey are there to help guide us in the right direction. Like ADC this has been a large topic of discussion.

When you say bypass the Digi converters can you be more specific? Are you meaning bypassing the preamps or going in digital and bypassing the actual converters?

RayT
4th February 2009
Old 4th February 2009
Lives for gear

As an LE user since 6.0 , heres what I want since the box just sits there while I use another DAW STILL for the last 5 years. Logic and Cubase here . I would have never purchased those if LE wasnt crippled in comparison

1. ADC
2. Unlimited Tracks, Mine will STAY at the given track limit. Im NOT paying you $400 for 16 more tracks, it AINT happening
3. You NEED better AD/DA on the DIGI boxes, period
4. Allow me to access more than 18 I/O at once, how about a FW box with two ADAT ports and ALLOW me to access ALL the I/O. Better yet, PLEASE go back to PCIe with a break out box like the DIGI001. heck, just make a HD192 with a PCIe card compatible with LE

You guys NEED to drop the fear factor that opening up LE is gonna drop your HD sales.
LE guys are not buying the HD since its 10 times as much
Two diff markets IMO

LE is competing with Nuendo/Cubase, Sonar, Logic Pro, DP etc. Notice NONE of them have tracks limits.

Why did I post this, to waste my breath as usual
4th February 2009
Old 4th February 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanabit View Post
As an LE user since 6.0 , heres what I want since the box just sits there while I use another DAW STILL for the last 5 years. Logic and Cubase here . I would have never purchased those if LE wasnt crippled in comparison

1. ADC
2. Unlimited Tracks, Mine will STAY at the given track limit. Im NOT paying you $400 for 16 more tracks, it AINT happening
4. Allow me to access more than 18 I/O at once, how about a FW box with two ADAT ports and ALLOW me to access ALL the I/O. Better yet, PLEASE go back to PCIe with a break out box like the DIGI001. heck, just make a HD192 with a PCIe card compatible with LE

You guys NEED to drop the fear factor that opening up LE is gonna drop your HD sales.
Two diff markets IMO

LE is competing with Nuendo/Cubase, Sonar, Logic Pro, DP etc. Notice NONE of them have tracks limits.

LE "unlimited features"...considering the speed of current CPUs, would definitely eat into HD sales, are you crazy?

TH
4th February 2009
Old 4th February 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanabit View Post

1. ADC

Two diff markets IMO

LE "unlimited features"...considering the speed of current CPUs, would definitely eat into HD sales, are you crazy?

TH
4th February 2009
Old 4th February 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceantracks View Post

TH
No , not crazy here, tutt
This is a big line of BS that DIGI wants you to believe
People buy HD for the TDM processing more than anything.
Realtime effects on the inputs, delay compensation throughout the signal path. expanded I/O etc.
The whole purpose of HD is to offload the processing FROM that speedy CPU to a dedicated process card . I said UNLIMITED TRACKs. No reason to cripple the track count this day and age

Again, Im NOT buying HD regardless so how do you figure they would loose a sale on me if they uncripple LE, ???? Yes they may loose HD sales from those that are looking that route in the first place and have decided that they dont NEED all the extras of HD, but that aint me. Some decide to do just that anyway because they cant justify the 10X cost increase to get the HD setup

DIGI is in a hard place IMO at this point. The price gap between LE and HD is just too much. They NEED a three tier product line Super HD, HD and LE if you will
As it stands there is no middle product.
4th February 2009
Old 4th February 2009
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

1. Interface that has 8 AES-EBU I/O and that can be concatenated together to expand up to the user's desired final I/O count.
2. Connection should be ExpressCARD/34 and not USB nor Firewire
3. If there is a control surface offered... should be a master section that offers standard control room functions, video post features, and plugin control, and could be configured for 5.1 monitoring. The main chassis could be expanded in groups of 8 by adding channel strip control module(s), again to the user's desired end configuration.
4. Built in Wordclock, genlock, and SMPTE TC I/O rather than relying on MIDI MTC translators.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search