UAD-2 Solo / Laptop
Old 7th July 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolet View Post
ordered mine from JRRshop. Should be here tomorrow.
Please do tell...!
Old 7th July 2009
Lives for gear

Excellent. I just bought one too! I will let you know how it goes. I can't imagine it will be that dramatic a difference from the Xpander.

So my UAD1 Xpander (the predecessor to this product) is officially for sale at $125. No shipping costs, no paypal fees. Not selling to make money, selling to make room. Get into the UAD world cheap!

PM me if interested. I will make an official classified ad later this evening. For now, I'm headed to the gym to try to get some exercise.

cheers,
c
Old 7th July 2009
Lives for gear

Old 7th July 2009
Gear interested

WOOT!

Finally received my Solo Laptop.

Installation on my late 2008 Macbook Pro (Leopard 10.5.7) was very straightforward - install the software from the supplied CD-ROM (V 5.3.1), shutdown, insert card, restart - instant success!

Registration also straightforward - I migrated my Xpander Xtreme plug-ins across with no issues...now all's running up and running in Logic with no problems to report so far. Next to test is Pro Tools and the Mellowmuse latency compensation plugin.

Looking forward to testing the 1176LN plugin against the real thing tomorrow!
Old 7th July 2009
adl
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by loader View Post
Finally received my Solo Laptop...migrated my Xtreme plug-ins across with no issues...now it's up and running in Logic with no problems to report so far.

Looking forward to testing the 1176LN plugin against the real thing tomorrow!

Sounds great!!

Am thinking of getting the UAD Solo Laptop myself. What´s great is, that UAD allows to use all the plugin you own on the Solo Laptop as well.
On the other hand i am thinking of getting the IK T-Racks Deluxe crossgrade bundle. Would give some more tools to the arsenal and i am mostly producing on my desktop anyway. But i really like my UAD plugin.....

Anyway, good to hear that the Solo Laptop is working!
Old 7th July 2009
Gear maniac

express card doubler?

Is there such thing as an express card doubler? I've searched around but couldn't find one. Before getting the UAD-Solo I was using the slot for eSATA, it would be great to use both in the express slot, but I'm not even sure if there is enough bandwidth.
Old 7th July 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaidon View Post
Please do tell...!
The Fedex tracking thingy says it should be here tomorrow. I'm on an Asus PC laptop running WinXP and Cubase 4 / Ableton 7. Will post if stuff goes wrong.
Old 7th July 2009
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoff View Post
Is there such thing as an express card doubler? I've searched around but couldn't find one. Before getting the UAD-Solo I was using the slot for eSATA, it would be great to use both in the express slot, but I'm not even sure if there is enough bandwidth.
I've been wondering about this too for the same reason - doesn't look like it's currently possible though.

Next best thing is external chassis, Magma or otherwise, which has PCIe slots and hard drive bays. 2U space though and a power supply..... not so portable
Old 7th July 2009
Lives for gear

what an amazing looking product.

she will be mine...
Old 7th July 2009
Lives for gear

Old 8th July 2009
Lives for gear

Sweet guys!!! I will be selling my UAD-1 Xpander this December. Please let us know how the new one works!!

-Tom
Old 8th July 2009
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by kosmasepsilon View Post
Any answer to this one? thanks.
From Syncrotech's website:
Quote:
The DEVICE WILL NOT WORK WITH any ExpressCard using the PCI Express (PCIe) portion of the ExpressCard standard. This is the majority of ExpressCards that do any other than the devices discussed above. Any real host adapter for SATA, FireWire, Ethernet, USB 2.0, etc. WILL NOT WORK WITH the MicroU2E USB 2.0 to USB 2.0 Mode ExpressCard 34|54 Host Adapter.
So, the answer is no, it won't work.
Old 8th July 2009
Gear maniac

going to pick one up myself in the coming months
Old 8th July 2009
Lives for gear

Just installed the card. Works perfect in Cubase an Live. I used to have a UAD-1 Mackie card, but sold it when I switched to laptop. My plugins licenses I kept. Within 5 minutes I had my plugs running on the Solo.

The Express card itself is really tiny. Width of matchbox. I was affraid the plastic part would stick out a lot. No way, you barely even notice it...
I have some nice plugs (Soundtoys) and outboard (API, GR, Distressor) but it's great having my UAD plugs back.
Old 8th July 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Just installed the card. Works perfect in Cubase an Live. I used to have a UAD-1 Mackie card, but sold it when I switched to laptop. My plugins licenses I kept. Within 5 minutes I had my plugs running on the Solo.

The Express card itself is really tiny. Width of matchbox. I was affraid the plastic part would stick out a lot. No way, you barely even notice it...
I have some nice plugs (Soundtoys) and outboard (API, GR, Distressor) but it's great having my UAD plugs back.
How hot does it run? If it's hot, is it just the part that sticks out the runs hot, or the whole card. This is a sort of overall concern I have about the UAD stuff (have a UAD-1 in my old G5 and don't know if I want to move forward with the UAD stuff in the future).
Old 8th July 2009
adl
Gear addict

Quote:

COOOL!
Old 8th July 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubnick View Post
How hot does it run? If it's hot, is it just the part that sticks out the runs hot, or the whole card. This is a sort of overall concern I have about the UAD stuff (have a UAD-1 in my old G5 and don't know if I want to move forward with the UAD stuff in the future).
Didn't notice any heat. When I fire it up again tomorrow I'll have a feel. Never had heat problems before though...
Old 8th July 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Didn't notice any heat. When I fire it up again tomorrow I'll have a feel. Never had heat problems before though...
Nice one!
It's kinda of normal though to get a bit hot.Nothing out of the ordinary.
Old 9th July 2009
Gear Head

Like a charm...

Mixed three songs today with the new Solo/Laptop. It replaced my Magma ExpressBox1 setup, and I couldn't be happier. I was up and running with a new authorization file in less than five minutes. Mucho pleased.

And yes, it does get quite hot, but I ran it wide open for nearly ten hours without a break and it never skipped a beat. Don't think it's gonna be an issue.

Recommend.

-Daniel
Old 10th July 2009
Gear nut

What are the plugins counts for the uad solo laptop? What's the max instances?
Old 10th July 2009
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by no-xplode View Post
What are the plugins counts for the uad solo laptop? What's the max instances?

See post #178 in this thread. It all depends on which plugins you are asking about. With most plugins it is going to give you more than what is currently listed in the official UAD instance chart for a UAD-2 Solo card. The Laptop Solo comes pre-installed with the latest v5.3.1 update. The v5.3 firmware update increased plugin instances of most plugins which is not reflected in the current UAD instance chart published last September when the UAD-2 was first released.
Old 11th July 2009
Lives for gear

Has anyone used the UAD-2 and opened projects last saved with the UAD-1? I was wondering if it messed things up at all. Like the EQ, compression settings on the various plugs. From what I understand, UA recoded all of the old plugs for the UAD-2.

This is great! I have been using the UAD-1 Xpander for well over a year now, and it's fine and all, but having to plug it into a power source blows. And it's bulky compared to the UAD-2.

BTW everyone, I will be selling the UAD-1 Xpander this December when I return to the US of A!

Tom
Old 13th July 2009
Gear interested

solo /laptop should be with me in a couple of days. Cant wait to get it.

Thanks to all the Gearslutz who have chimed in on this subject as this is the only reference I have to go on .This is the best resource I could hope for , real people with real experiences & real opinions some good, some .... but still highly valued.

You guys have all been a great help on this.

Cheers

Not the only resource I have but definatly one of my favorites
Old 13th July 2009
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piranhadrum View Post
Has anyone used the UAD-2 and opened projects last saved with the UAD-1? I was wondering if it messed things up at all. Like the EQ, compression settings on the various plugs. From what I understand, UA recoded all of the old plugs for the UAD-2.
I have never had an issue opening any projects created previously with my (4) UAD-1 card system on my UAD-2 QUAD. Yes, you are correct in that all the UAD-1 plugins (except for the Nigel) have been re-coded to work with the Sharc DSP's.
From what I understand, UA put a lot of effort into making the UAD-1 to UAD-2 transition as seamless as possible. To the point that you can even use UAD-1 & UAD-2 cards together in the same projects.

Cheers,

Billy Buck
Old 21st July 2009
Gear addict

How is this new piece of gear working out for you guys?
Old 21st July 2009
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by diapause View Post
So far....great!! After leaving my studio after tracking something I can now sit in my sofa with my MacBookPro, UAD2 solo/laptop and a pair of headphones and actually get some serious work done.

Richard
Old 21st July 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by diapause View Post
Works awesome. As if it isn't there. All in all an excellent solution from UA.
Old 21st July 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayman View Post
So far....great!! After leaving my studio after tracking something I can now sit in my sofa with my MacBookPro, UAD2 solo/laptop and a pair of headphones and actually get some serious work done.

Richard
+1!

- c
Old 21st July 2009
Gear addict

Great to hear it.

For you MBP users, are you finding the headphone out sufficient sonic-quality wise?

One of the things I worried about was that I'd get this great set of plugs and not really be able to hear their effects through the headphone out. I have good cans and good buds (MDR-7506, Shure SE530), but the noise floor of the amp is so high....

How are you guys dealing with that?
Old 22nd July 2009
Gear addict

So I hear there is literature that comes with the solo laptop that has a picture of the Quad expander... is that online anywhere? just a render?
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search